RIP Eddie Van Halen

Patrick Bateman

On 10/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, markstanco said:
On 10/6/2020 at 3:47 PM, hullabelew said:
No more Eddie Van Halen and the Eddie Van Halen Band.  Bummer.  Any pothead in high school in early 1978 can tell you exactly where they were when they first heard that music.  Usually screaming from a 8 track tape, played thru a Pioneer Supertuner and Jensen speakers.  
I was in Robbie Hickam's 76 Trans-Am in the high school parking lot.  There were about 20 people gathered around her car, listening.    No idea how he was doing that but it was fuckin' AWESOME!

Did your pioneer supertuner have the green LOUD button or not?

Fuck yes it did...but it was more a pale green because that motherfucker stayed on all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I forgot that I also saw Eddie when he came on stage at Reunion Arena and joined Patty Smyth.  She and John Waite were touring together.  VH has just run Roth off and were looking for a new lead singer.  Eddie apparently was wanting her to join VH so he was showing up at some of the shows.  He had just cut his hair short and when he walked out on stage, carrying a very EVH looking Strat......who is this fucking clown.  Then he started playing and people realized who it was.  

Found this MTV 'News' clip.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Totally opposite for me.  Fourteen year old me liked it, but that's one of the few Van Halen songs I can't listen to now.

There was so much really interesting stuff happening in music then; I'm glad I was young enough not to think "That's not my thing" for most of it. (The kids who were into thrash and NWOBHM were the ones who were always getting into fights and suspensions... not my crowd, so I didn't pick up on the music until, sadly, college and beyond. Now, I love all that stuff.) Between the old AOR stuff still being around, to the new hair metal bands, to the new wave, to all these weird new sounds coming out of the latest and greatest synthesizers... it was a good time to be into music, pretty much until Bon Jovi fucked everything up.

I loved "Jump" then, and I love "Jump" now. It doesn't surprise me any more, but it's like an old shirt that you just can't bear to part with; familiar and comfortable.

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Went one year in nothing but cut off overalls. I was cycling about 60 miles per day at the time and lifting for 8-10 hours a week. Three really hot chicks asked me to take the overalls off. I did, and they promptly took them, and my overalls ended up crowd surfing the rest of the show. Ended up leaving the Cotton Bowl in nothing but my whitey tighties and a Wild Mick Brown drum stick I caught during Dokken's show. Drunk as fuck, and no fucks given. At least the girls were kind enough to grope the rest of the show.

CHIEF

I read that as "nothing but my whitey tighties and Mack Brown's drumstick"

Edited by Deej

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

The kids who were into thrash and NWOBHM were the ones who were always getting into fights and suspensions... not my crowd

And that was the cool thing about Van Halen. There was no VH clique. Van Halen was for everyone. Going to a VH show was like going to a party, and everyone was invited.

• Like 1

And that was the cool thing about Van Halen. There was no VH clique. Van Halen was for everyone. Going to a VH show was like going to a party, and everyone was invited.

That is a very good point. Cliques were very real back in the day. No one really crossed over like now.

I credit Aerosmith and Run DMC for starting to change that.

54 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

NSIAP....some cool tidbits.  

https://www.vulture.com/article/eddie-van-halen-best-stories.html

Eddie at a Tool concert.  Tool fan asks old man to take his picture.  Wonders who old man is and why he is at Tool show.

EHgjPFRUYAAk_fO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Thats a cool story. But what a fucking moron 

NSIAP....some cool tidbits.  
https://www.vulture.com/article/eddie-van-halen-best-stories.html

Eddie at a Tool concert.  Tool fan asks old man to take his picture.  Wonders who old man is and why he is at Tool show.
EHgjPFRUYAAk_fO?format=jpg&name=900x900

What’s cool about it is that EVH just bought tickets like a fan and didn’t have his people call Tool’s people and get him a seat on the side of the stage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, hookem48 said:

the first time I listened to it was riding around in my truck smoking pot with two buddies of mine and Nicky had bought the cassette, after about 4 songs he ejected the tape and threw it out the window. lol

Nicky is telling everyone he was there in the beginning right now, he was into these guys before they made it big.  Everyone knows a Nicky from their youth.

57 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Perfect post when read in the voice of...

iu.jpeg

Hilariously enough, we get a reference to this here:

A snippet of this was shared earlier. This is the entire interview. I love this interview. (I like the interviewer too and would like to get to know her better)

3 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Nicky is telling everyone he was there in the beginning right now, he was into these guys before they made it big.  Everyone knows a Nicky from their youth.

Not sure what the hell you're talking about, Van Halen was big to us long before fucking Jump came out.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

The rest of 1984 was pretty damn good. Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, and I’ll Wait are all great songs. Jump is just so cheesy when I hear it now.

My name is Jimmy and I hated fucking Top Jimmy, god damn my friends gave me hell over the end of that song.

• Like 1

I hated jump when it came out. But I was 16 and mostly into Maiden, Queensryche, heavy guitar shit etc. It was strange because we all fully respected Van Halen of course but the keyboards were gay af to our crew anyway.

I always wondered what went on in Eddies head to cause him to write and then release that song as the lead single. It was such a departure.

Strangely enough I loved Why Can’t This Be Love when it came out a few years later.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hated jump when it came out. But I was 16 and mostly into Maiden, Queensryche, heavy guitar shit etc. It was strange because we all fully respected Van Halen of course but the keyboards were gay af to our crew anyway.

I always wondered what went on in Eddies head to cause him to write and then release that song as the lead single. It was such a departure.

Strangely enough I loved Why Can’t This Be Love when it came out a few years later.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did this video make it on here?  I don't care.

Of all the things I could comment on -- his tone, his technique, his joy, his classical influences -- I'm just going to say this:

He.  Doesn't.  Make.  One.  Fucking.  Mistake.

15 minutes of world class wizardry, and he doesn't miss one note.

What the hell?

One thing that struck me about Eddie that may not be well received here, now   He burst onto the scene as a phenomenal talent doing things no one had done before and then... he did that for 40 years.  He didn’t seem to evolve a whole lot as a guitarist over those next 4 decades.  By the time we got to Van Hagar, I felt like I had heard everything a few times over.  Feel free to give examples of how I’m a dipshit.

• Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, Goredho said:

One thing that struck me about Eddie that may not be well received here, now   He burst onto the scene as a phenomenal talent doing things no one had done before and then... he did that for 40 years.  He didn’t seem to evolve a whole lot as a guitarist over those next 4 decades.  By the time we got to Van Hagar, I felt like I had heard everything a few times over.  Feel free to give examples of how I’m a dipshit.

You just described just about every great guitarist ever. Set expectations, then try and meet them.

Where do you go from here?

Edited by Deej

On 10/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, Rimbo said:

Hilariously enough, we get a reference to this here:

A snippet of this was shared earlier. This is the entire interview. I love this interview. (I like the interviewer too and would like to get to know her better)

The way she crosses her legs after he picks up the guitar is some pretty transparent body language.

I really wish I had practiced my guitar a lot more.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Thought it was cool that several college football games I watched today were playing VH tunes as transitions in/out of commercials.

And don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but seriously, is there a cooler (real) name for a rock lead guitarist than fucking Eddie Van Halen?

• Like 2