Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

6 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Mel Torme

Aggy allways late to the party.

My dad terrorized Mel Torme once in a bar in Dallas. Dad had been a bouncer in an illegal bar and gambling joint just outside the gates of the Texaco Refinery in Port Arthur back in the 50s. The man could be terrifiying. 

I never knew exactly what Torme did. Dad was probably in the wrong, but I wouldn't have told him that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My dad terrorized Mel Torme once in a bar in Dallas. Dad had been a bouncer in an illegal bar and gambling joint just outside the gates of the Texaco Refinery in Port Arthur back in the 50s. The man could be terrifiying. 

I never knew exactly what Torme did. Dad was probably in the wrong, but I wouldn't have told him that. 

Hold up. Your dad went after The Velvet Fog? What the hell? 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hold up. Your dad went after The Velvet Fog? What the hell? 

I don't even think I was alive yet. The VF was performing in a club where Dad was. Dad was an alcoholic (great man in many ways anyway), so I'm guessing he was loud and Mel said something. 

Not a family point of pride, but it's an interesting whisper of a story.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The only celebrities I’ve ever gone after are Ryan Braun and Mario Lopez. Mel Torme? The dude was like 5’3”. Same as Lopez, I guess. 

Mario Lopez is a total bitch.  I'll never forget how he behaved on a Southwest flight from Burbank to LAS.  Dude, you're flying Southwest quit acting like you should get first class service.  He also preboarded because he had a "medical condition" that required early boarding. Fucking clown.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
forgot the S in LAS
  • Haha 4

Heckling and being a complete asshole to opposing baseball players whilst not getting asked to leave is an artform and should be celebrated as such. Fine line between too aggressive and distasteful - probably helped that your crew made up a majority of the fans in the outfield.  Our diamond club tickets back then would oftentimes go unused. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Mario Lopez is a total bitch.  I'll never forget how he behaved on a Southwest flight from Burbank to LA.  Dude, you're flying Southwest quit acting like you should get first class service.  He also preboarded because he had a "medical condition" that required early boarding. Fucking clown.

When we were overtly mocking him in public, it was for similar reasons. On Jan 4, 2006, we were at a tailgate in the Rose Bowl parking lot near where the RVs were parking. The Girls Gone Wild RV shows up and proceeds to take up multiple RV parking spaces. Security comes over and knocks on the door. The RV is already flexing out and extending each side into yet more parking spaces. Someone opens the door, they talk to security, argue against whatever security is saying and then close the door. 

Security gets more security. Knock again. We're all just kind of watching. Next time the door opens, down the little stairs walks AC Slater. He's got his hands out, palms forward with sort of the ol' fellas, fellas kind of thing going on. They're clearly trying to talk their way into just fucking everybody else's ability to park in that lot.

We started mocking that short little fucker brutally as a group. It got to the point where he paused with the security folks and started walking towards us, which really got us laughing and acting like general dickheads. Eventually he turned around, talked further to security, and then went back in the RV. It pulled the extensions in and reparked in one spot. 

It's bizarre because now that dude's sister lives in Houston near us and my wife is somewhat friends with her. Slater comes to town occasionally. Tiny fella. 

I've always wondered if @henrygandorf was on that RV that day and if he remembers any of that interaction between them and the security folks (not us, that part was inconsequential other than our entertainment). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Burbank airport to LAX? It’s like an hour and 15 minute drive with traffic. I’m now fascinated that there is the demand to support such a commercial flight. 

I used to fly it all the time, but that's because it was the connection to get to BUR from AUS that avoided PHX.  There are a lot of people that fly that route to go to Vegas for the weekend.  LAS to BUR was always full of a bunch of currently drunk and hungover individuals.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well I had to look up Mel Torme after all of this... to his credit, Nat King Cole's version of The Christmas Song is the best Christmas carol out there, bar none.

This is facts. It’s worth noting that the arrangement from the version you are probably thinking of, the 1961 version, is perfect. Incredibly well done, from the strings at the top, the jazz guitar/ bass/ drums background arrangement, the solos, the countermelodies. Ralph Carmichael, arranger and conductor. Also really, really well produced and balanced. That album is full of great stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Mario Lopez is a total bitch.  I'll never forget how he behaved on a Southwest flight from Burbank to LA.  Dude, you're flying Southwest quit acting like you should get first class service.  He also preboarded because he had a "medical condition" that required early boarding. Fucking clown.

You just admitted you fly Southwest. It's a flying clown car.

Who am I kidding? Most airlines are flying Wal-Marts these days. But I do hate Southwest.

23 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

This is facts. It’s worth noting that the arrangement from the version you are probably thinking of, the 1961 version, is perfect. Incredibly well done, from the strings at the top, the jazz guitar/ bass/ drums background arrangement, the solos, the countermelodies. Ralph Carmichael, arranger and conductor. Also really, really well produced and balanced. That album is full of great stuff. 

You sonofabitch. You're going to make me listen to Christmas music in September.

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can all of you idiots stop talking about flying to Los Angeles from Burbank? Unless you're taking a helicopter or something private, there aren't flights between BUR and LAX. Jesus.

Im about to board my flight at DFW but I will double check this claim once I land at DAL. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Hey, that thread got us the @NowThis post.  Worth it?

That's still gotta be top 5 ridiculous things this board has pulled off

Someone should keep a list, because there is going to be some wild shit coming down the pipe here over the next 12-15 months. 

Banner, Billboard, PedoBear, Wreath (did they really send a fucking wreath to Drunkenstein? I've never figured out whether it happened or not), txtow, Burnt Ends, HWH/TOF, Twitter/x Geoff Ketchum, ?? I know there's a lot more and I know some people can't handle some of it, but all of that shit cracks me up or makes me smile.

One of my personal favorites but I'm aware it's not a full board thing was winning a bet that had @SydneyCarton writing a personal paean to Greg Davis that then had Greg Davis earnestly respond in letter form while Sydney had to write a post on the FB board swearing his allegiance and affinity to Greg Davis, seriously, while being lampooned and shamed by other posters. God, that was pathetically fulfilling. 

3 minutes ago, Noozak said:

The fake Nick Saban airport announcement has to be number 1

See, I don't even know this one. Tell it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone should keep a list, because there is going to be some wild shit coming down the pipe here over the next 12-15 months. 

Banner, Billboard, PedoBear, Wreath (did they really send a fucking wreath to Drunkenstein? I've never figured out whether it happened or not), txtow, Burnt Ends, HWH/TOF, Twitter/x Geoff Ketchum, ?? I know there's a lot more and I know some people can't handle some of it, but all of that shit cracks me up or makes me smile.

One of my personal favorites but I'm aware it's not a full board thing was winning a bet that had @SydneyCarton writing a personal paean to Greg Davis that then had Greg Davis earnestly respond in letter form while Sydney had to write a post on the FB board swearing his allegiance and affinity to Greg Davis, seriously, while being lampooned and shamed by other posters. God, that was pathetically fulfilling. 

See, I don't even know this one. Tell it.

I can't remember who did it at this point so sorry for not giving credit where it's due. Back when the coaching search kicked off after we fired Mack there were all sorts of rumors that Saban was in town. Someone had the idea to call AUS and have them make a pick up announcement. The announcement said "Would Nicholas Saban please come to passenger pick up". Some employee didn't realize who it was for and went on the speaker and made the announcement. It got picked up on twitter almost immediately, and I am even sure it made it onto ESPN at one point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5