Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) reiterates that aggy ‘has their guy’ and that it’s a current P5 HC. 

Looch says that it’s not Fisch. 

Football Scoop reporting that Jonathan Smith is the sole focus of Michigan St. 

Duke sources believe Elko is returning. 

Some remaining P5 coaches with bigger names and some potential availability: Dabo, Jake Dickert, Jeff Brohm, Lance Leipold, Mike Gundy, Sonny Dykes, Gus Malzahn, PJ Fleck, James Franklin.  

More than half of those are ridiculous. Jeff Brohm would be an interesting hire, as would Liepold, Dickert, and Gundy. 

I still think it's Elko. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Some remaining P5 coaches with bigger names and some potential availability: Dabo, Jake Dickert, Jeff Brohm, Lance Leipold, Mike Gundy, Sonny Dykes, Gus Malzahn, PJ Fleck, James Franklin.  

More than half of those are ridiculous. Jeff Brohm would be an interesting hire, as would Liepold, Dickert, and Gundy. 

I still think it's Elko. 

no Klieman?  seems like he would be the most hirable no brainer. long history of winning at every level 

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I remember my physics final at RLM. I was in the building when the exam took place. I wasn’t in the classroom, but sort of classroom adjacent. I still got a 0 for some reason.

I was in the classroom.  Got a 9.

Portalled to Liberal Arts.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I just don't think this is true. He's 14-21 at Arizona. 

Yes, Sumlin left a bad situation at Arizona but that is not a job where it's impossible to win. Rich Rodriguez was averaging over 7 wins a year at Arizona just a few years ago. 

his first year at Arizona was 2021. in the 2021 247 Team Talent Composite, Arizona was ranked #66, just slightly ahead of USF and Rutgers and just behind Boise St and Wake Forest. they had 3 4* players on the roster.

for comparison, Arizona State was at #26.

Sumlin went 5-7 his first year then 4-13 in the next two before he was fired after losing 70-7 vs Arizona State. Arizona State was up 63-7 at the end of 3 quarters.

it was a BAD situation to be walking into.

...he still would be a bad hire for A&M.

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What about Franklin? And why wouldn’t Gerry just say who it is?

He got crossed off when they started floating this incentive based idea, signaling they were poor.  Franklin's contract has $65 million guaranteed left.  Why would he leave that to work for Amway commissions?

22 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Loftin, former aggy prez, said that buyouts of a sitting coach are due immediately. They can mortgage the future for most of Jimbo's buyout, but not the new coach's.

So aggy will need to contact JG Wentworth.

buyouts:

• Fisch's buyout if he leaves before 11/30/23 is $6.5m
  • Elko is TBD
  • DeBoer's current contract includes a $12 million buyout if he leaves before 1/31/25
  • Jonathan Smith's buyout is $3m if he leaves in 2023 and goes down 500k each year and is negotiating now for a new deal.
  • James Franklin's buyout is something like $8m though the end of the year
  • Klieman's buyout is $6m for a few more years
  • Leipold's buyout is $5m if he leaves before 5/1/24
  • Norvell's buyout is $6m until 1/1/24
  • Drinkwitz buyout is $6m until 12/1/23 and then drops by $1m every year after
  • PJ Fleck's buyout is $7m
  • Ryan Walters buyout is $6m
  • Matt Ruhle's buyout is $7m through 12/31/23\

people have mentioned Gundy for some wildass reason, his buyout is something like 24m and goes up each year?

couldn't find one for Barry Odom who is only making like $1.75m at UNLV.

Rhett Lashlee's info is TBD because SMU is private.

Jake Dickert at WSU signed a new contract in Jan and couldn't find anything other than "millions" depending on when he leaves.

for shits and giggles, Dabo's buyout is $5m until 12/31/24 ($7.5m for Alabama)

idk if i have missed any more names out there that have been discussed...

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

buyouts:

• Elko is TBD
  • DeBoer's current contract includes a $12 million buyout if he leaves before 1/31/25
  • Jonathan Smith's buyout is $3m if he leaves in 2023 and goes down 500k each year and is negotiating now for a new deal.

people have mentioned Gundy for some wildass reason, his buyout is something like 24m and goes up each year?

Jake Dickert at WSU signed a new contract in Jan and couldn't find anything other than "millions" depending on when he leaves.

How are those buyouts so comically tiny and aggy spent more than 10x that? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I still think it's Elko. 

Brohm is some sort of Louisville legacy. He is likely home unless an actual top 5 comes calling 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Vermin said:

How are those buyouts so comically tiny and aggy spent more than 10x that? 🤣

those are the buyouts for coaches to leave for another team and buy themselves out of the contract

https://apnews.com/article/contract-buyouts-jimbo-fisher-7fdd9fed9e4457bc961dbbc580b14d41

Fisher was fired Sunday, just over two years after he signed a fully guaranteed 10-year, $95 million contract. Texas A&M said it will use donor funds to make an initial payment on the $75 million-plus owed to Fisher and pay the rest with athletic department revenue on an installment plan.

Six active coaches have buyout clauses that would pay each more than $50 million if they were fired without cause, topped by Georgia’s Kirby Smart ($92.5 million), LSU’s Brian Kelly ($70 million) and Penn State’s James Franklin ($64.5 million).

+

Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts hired Matt Rhule last November and signed him to an eight-year, $74 million contract. Rhule agreed to receiving 90% of what he would be owed as opposed to having a fully guaranteed contract, and his buyout stands at $62 million this year.

• Haha 1

Most of those on that list would easily get a counter offer to stay where they are, if aggy isn’t throwing  75 or 90 million guaranteed at anyone else. 

places like Mizzou are acting like they enjoy winning and want to keep doing it. Spending on NIL and coaches is how you do that. 

if undersatand a pac leftover coach looking to move, and what makes the most sense is fisch because Arizona absolutely cannot make any kind of bid to keep him, and might rather have the buyout money and ability to shed salary at the football coaching area. 

Just now, BigHornedLurker said:

Brohm is some sort of Louisville legacy. He is likely home unless an actual top 5 comes calling 

his dad went there and was on the football team, Jeff was born in Louisville, Jeff went there, his brother went there and was on the team (Brian) and is a coach, his other brother was on the team at Louisville with him and played there (Greg) and is his chief of staff i think, Jeff was a coach there from 03 to 08.

he's making $5m there now and his 6 year, 36m contract is fully guaranteed.

he isn't going anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

buyouts:

• Elko is TBD

Only because Looch keeps mentioning him:

Ryan Day’s buyout if he leaves before Feb 1, 2025 is only 4.5 million. 

• Haha 1

I believe jimbo didn’t have any buyout to leave of his own accord, or Camry. 

so they made it so they had to pay him the entirety of his contract if they wanted to end it, but he could end it for zero dollars if he wanted to make a change of employer. So the only school in the world that would have to pay to terminate jimbo’s contract was the school that wrote and signed it. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Only because Looch keeps mentioning him:

Ryan Day’s buyout if he leaves before Feb 1, 2025 is only 4.5 million. 

to be fair, this guy does look like he should be leading a cult:

1788296247.0.jpg

(i forgot to include him on the list, if those idiots run him off after having what would then be the 2nd highest win% in the history of their program, right behind Urban, they really do deserve everything they get)

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

so they made it so they had to pay him the entirety of his contract if they wanted to end it, but he could end it for zero dollars if he wanted to make a change of employer. So the only school in the world that would have to pay to terminate jimbo’s contract was the school that wrote and signed it. 

this is correct. there was no "jimbo buys himself out of the contract to go elsewhere" clause, he could just walk for $0

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The problem isn't the buyouts - it's the salary they will have to pay to land those dudes. Not only would they have to pay someone like Day or Dabo $10 million per year they'd be doing that while still paying Jimbo $7 million a year or whatever until 2032.

Bjork mentioned both that they still don't know how they are going to pay Jimbo and he wants the next contract to be incentive-laden. 

That doesn't sound like they can just money whip a big name and why Fisch or even just promoting Robinson (if they beat LSU) makes sense. I just don't think they have the budget right now to do anything else. 

But who knows? Maybe the right name gets their big donors to open up their wallets again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

My understanding of aggy selection process is they get it down to five candidates, then they lay photos of each one at midfield at Pyle. They stay there until Reveille shits on four of the photos. The one she didn't shit on is the new head coach, because she obviously likes him.

Then white smoke comes from the bonfire, signaling to the aggy faithful that a new coach has been chosen by their God. 

Reveille.jpg

• Haha 9

Hmm so P5 coach that supposedly isn't Elko, Fisch, Kiffin, or Lanning. I think Looch also said they'd have to wait for Deboer if he was interested and same for Day. I think he also said Rhule was unlikely. So who does that leave?

My top guess would be Leipold. Others that have been mentioned a decent amount include Klieman, Dykes, and Jonathan Smith. I'm assuming the Lincoln stuff was dumb noise. I also wouldn't rule out 247 being wrong about Elko.

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Hmm so P5 coach that supposedly isn't Elko

I think Elko is still in play. This is apparently all Liucci has said most the day according to their SEC rant thread. 

"Please try and refrain from bringing either wrong or misleading info here. I'm only half kidding. Elko is still very much in play. Had two conversations with Level 1 sources in the last hour confirming as much."

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Toyota-Camry-custom-fq.jpg

• Drool 1

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) reiterates that aggy ‘has their guy’ and that it’s a current P5 HC. 

Looch says that it’s not Fisch. 

Football Scoop reporting that Jonathan Smith is the sole focus of Michigan St. 

Duke sources believe Elko is returning. 

Rodeo is going to be fun this year hearing anecdotes on how this shit show went down. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Elko was definitely going to be their hire but then he decided to lose 4 of his last 5 games. Now there's a lot less excitement. 

Yup , it's got built in negative recruiting. 

"They fired a failing championship coach for a newbie coach who won 6 games"