Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

We hired 2 coaches who brought in their buddies or went the comfort hire route. We saw the results of that shit. Everyone knew Shawn Watson sucked. We all knew Herman's entire staff sucked. 

It took Sark going after the BEST hires possible (coaching and recruiting acumen) to finally get us out of the hell we built for ourselves.

Elko is about to repeat the Strong and Herman history. Aggy can't get players to go there without paying them. Jimbo is sitting on much of their treasure chest. Elko and his shitty staff are not going to overcome the batshit bizarre that is aggy. No recruit worth a shit is going to want to play in aggy or for Elko without being overly compensated to do so. Elko is about to find out why aggy has a long illustrious history of failing. 

• Hook 'Em 8

47 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This is fucking hilarious.  They paid a boat load of money to buy a bunch of mercenaries that did not want to be there in the first place but their offers were so far beyond market value at the time, kids were reclassifying to get some of that money.  They also extended an already ridiculous contract for Jimbo.  

Texas ends up accomplishing something they never could, making the CFP.  This was too much for them.  They stupidly fire their HC in a panic with no fucking game plan and exhaust their funds on this contract to where they limit themselves on their next HC hire.  What decent head coach, coordinators, or assistant coaches wants to walk into that dumpster fire knowing they have a Jimbo's shit to clean up and now doing that against Texas that is back on top.  It took FSU nearly a decade to get out of the fucking dumps with what Jimbo left and that was with a down Miami and Florida.  

So they proceed to bring back their previous DC, who really wasn't all that great to begin with.  They lose their best assistant that is holding their roster together.  And their solution is to just pay those players more so they don't leave.  Well... that only works to a certain extent.  At some point, these sophomores know they have 1 year left to put good tape before the draft.  Most will likely take less money to get out of the dump.  The only ones that will stay will be the ones that don't have a future NFL on the line and the only reason they will be staying is to cash a check.

Texas has been through this guys.  We've hired G5 coaches that brought shitty staff with them.  We've had rosters full of guys that came to Texas for the wrong reasons.  We've seen first hand what it's like crawling out of the dumps against rivals that are winning and have momentum.  Enjoy this fellas.  This is going to be a long journey for them.  There's only so much money their donors are willing to put up for a shit product.  Nothing about Elko is inspiring to recruits, assistants, coordinators, or the donors.  There will be a decade of aggy tears to come.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pretty good summary. I hope you're right about the length of time they'll continue to be completely irrelevant outside of their entitled and regularly shouting for no good reason. 

We need the little whiffs of potential success at A&M to feed their coach worship and irrational exuberance.  That makes the inevitable downfall and their reactions so much sweeter.

• Drool 1

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

20231203_191930.jpg

20231203_191932.jpg

20231203_191933.jpg

20231203_191936.jpg

"In case you're still wondering or unclear of how Elko runs the defense since becoming Head Coach, his Defensive Coordinator is going to be the one calling the games while the new Aggie boss, wait for it, actually serves as the head coach running his entire team and managing the game." - Liucci

Somehow, Elko doesn't strike me as the CEO type, the guy whose attention to detail is apparent in everything about him. 

"FACT: Most American men dress for failure. They do so because they make one or more of the four suicidal mistakes:

1. They let their wives or girlfriends choose their clothing, (Sark)

2. They let their favorite sales clerks choose their clothing,

3. They let designers and "fashion consultants" choose their clothing, (The Longhorn work uniform is Orange & White, a lot of their casual clothes look Ron Burgundy good.)

4. Or they let their backgrounds choose their clothing."

Dress for Success - John T. Molloy

Knowing how important first impressions are in all aspects of life, this is Aggy's choice for leadership?

(self edit - maybe knowing that is not as common as it used to be?)

image.thumb.png.1deac0ee4ac67f776e3a0b9e867dcab9.png 

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Yea they really bungled this one up. My guess is that “Plan 2024” resulted in Elko because he was a great DC, he would keep Robinson which would hold together most of their current roster and incoming recruiting class, and that they would buy a good OC with a large assistant coach budget.

When y'all mention this, I am not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

There is obviously no greater plan behind any of this. They fired Jimbo Fisher without any plan for what would come next other than "we deserve better." They saw themselves as a bigger player than the Mike Elkos of the world, but no bigger fish would answer their phone calls and they couldn't bring themselves to hire someone like Jeff Traylor. After a couple of weeks of doors being slammed in their faces, they had settled on Jimbo Fisher II, Mark Stoops, and they were fine with that. They were fine until everyone laughed hysterically at the absurdity of it all. They cannot stand being the butt of jokes, so they panicked and jumped on Mike Elko.

They hoped Elko could keep the '22 class together (nevermind that it had already significantly fallen apart), could keep most of the D coaching staff, and really just be a change at the management level without disrupting a lot of what tehey deemed to be successes in other areas of the program. None of that is working out because they had no plan in place to make it happen.

"Plan 2024" is just propaganda they threw out there to say, in the immortal words of Pee Wee Herman, "I meant to do that." They didn't, and it is all collapsing spectacularly.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Texas has been through this guys.  We've hired G5 coaches that brought shitty staff with them.  We've had rosters full of guys that came to Texas for the wrong reasons.  We've seen first hand what it's like crawling out of the dumps against rivals that are winning and have momentum.  Enjoy this fellas.  This is going to be a long journey for them.  There's only so much money their donors are willing to put up for a shit product.  Nothing about Elko is inspiring to recruits, assistants, coordinators, or the donors.  There will be a decade of aggy tears to come.

You forget that these are a bunch of goldfish who reset their expectations back to championship levels every offseason and then spend the next 6 months convincing themselves as to why it is true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I am completely baffled that Elko has yet to name a single coordinator hire and only one position coach. He has been on the job for more than a week, and typically there are articles speculating who they will be hiring for key roles already even if things aren't finalized. The fact that there is not even a peep about staff tells me that this thing was about as rushed as you could get it, and Elko is coming in with no plan even though everyone praises how organized he is. The low hanging fruit would at least be Santucci. If you remember from our coaching search, a huge part of the search was about who the HC could actually bring with him as assistants. I am convinced that part of what got Sark the job was Kyle Flood, Bo Davis, and Jeff Banks being locks.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was always curious as to what his coaching rolodex actually looks like. He hasn't really been anywhere for a long time and he has a reputation as an asshole.

People will follow an asshole if they think it'll benefit their career, but he's an unproven coach heading into a very difficult situation from an expectations vs reality standpoint.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am completely baffled that Elko has yet to name a single coordinator hire and only one position coach. He has been on the job for more than a week, and typically there are articles speculating who they will be hiring for key roles already even if things aren't finalized. The fact that there is not even a peep about staff tells me that this thing was about as rushed as you could get it, and Elko is coming in with no plan even though everyone praises how organized he is. The low hanging fruit would at least be Santucci. If you remember from our coaching search, a huge part of the search was about who the HC could actually bring with him as assistants. I am convinced that part of what got Sark the job was Kyle Flood, Bo Davis, and Jeff Banks being locks.  

part of the reason they moved so quickly was to maximize time before NSD1 dude was hired with 3 weekends left. they now are down to 2 to try and get folks on campus and either sign or hold off until NSD2.

only those morons could move that fast to hire a coach, then this slow to actually build out the staff.

Just now, texifornia said:

Apparently a bunch of his Duke staff gave him a big "thanks but no thanks" when he asked them to get on the plane.

only official ones were the S&C person and Santucci as far as I know.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Atticus said:

I was always curious as to what his coaching rolodex actually looks like. He hasn't really been anywhere for a long time and he has a reputation as an asshole.

People will follow an asshole if they think it'll benefit their career, but he's an unproven coach heading into a very difficult situation from an expectations vs reality standpoint.

He doesn't have a rolodex...  that's the problem.  Same issue Strong and Herman had.  I love the fact they fired Jimbo and hired a guy that was big part of that culture.  Now they plan on having Elko police the locker room and expect different results from the players he recruited and coaches while there?  LMAO!  Why fire Jimbo at all.  They blew up what was left of that program to hire a guy that was a part of the downfall to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Apparently a bunch of his Duke staff gave him a big "thanks but no thanks" when he asked them to get on the plane.

I seriously think that despite what has been put out publicly, A&M told him he could not bring Santucci. The aggies hated Santucci with a passion. Irrationally so. As I recall, they dug up something from his past and accused him of racism.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Slice bread?  Sorry, I'm an old.

So I was laughing because I thought he was using that as a nickname for Jimbo.  Like a variation of white bread. CTJ had mentioned the players were calling him Ritz Bitz so I assumed it was another nickname about how white he is.  

It’s less funny, but now I’m reading that SlicedBread is actually the handle of some message board poster who was claiming they had a 30 million dollar payroll. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

You could argue Florida State. Should Florida State be in over Texas, over what everyone knows but won't say, how rancid the Big 12 was?

The Big 12 was not rancid.  There were a lot of quality teams that could beat you.  7 teams in the top 30 per Sagarin.  Texas went 5-1 in those games.

Edited by Frank Drebin

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yep, when you leave in the middle of the night with no warning or heads up, those assistants begin to question your word.

Santucci said no, the S&C coach changed his mind, and Robinson left for a promotion. This is Charlie Strong all over again but we are seeing the start and year 3 all together. I fully expect Bjork and Sharp to get on a plane to go try to convince Robinson to change his mind.

I totally buy that aggy is about to go through a multiple coaches while trying to dig out of the Jimbo hole.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

44 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Lunch with Liucci: Billy Liucci joins TexAgs Radio (Monday, December 4)

By Billy Liucci
December 4, 2023

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 10:45:21)

• I have a lot of thoughts on Texas in the playoffs. They are deserving by the way it's set up. They deserved to be in over Alabama. You could argue Florida State. Should Florida State be in over Texas, over what everyone knows but won't say, how rancid the Big 12 was?

• Should Alabama be over FSU? They beat No. 1 Georgia and beat the same LSU team that was FSU's best win by about the same. Alabama's only loss was to another playoff team. With Jordan Travis, FSU was not rolling people. Is 12-1 Alabama more deserving than a 13-0 FSU?

• There were a lot of teams that would have gone undefeated after that Alabama game with Texas' schedule. There are more teams that would have navigated that with one loss. No one looks at it that way.

• It will fall back on these imaginary moving target metrics. They are not doing what they said they would do, put the four best teams in. As things stood, Texas would have been at or near the front of the discussion where you are talking about Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State for the last couple of spots. It doesn't make sense to me how they put Texas in without much of a doubt.

• They did not ask the counterpoint questions. That's all we got when A&M was considered. That's all Florida State got. No one ever said, "Notre Dame lost to Clemson in the conference championship." Before, Notre Dame beat Clemson without Trevor Lawrence playing. We talk about FSU not having Jordan Travis. Travis could not hold Lawrence's jock at quarterback. Clemson slaughtered Notre Dame with Lawrence. There were crickets. They put Notre Dame in back in 2020.

• There is no consistency. They don't give the real reason. No one will be happy when they are left out. I am very happy they are going to a 12-team playoff. I would like eight. I don't think the No. 13 team in football will win a national title. They could do that in basketball or baseball but not in football. 

• In no particular order, the eyeball test says the best four teams are Michigan, Washington, Alabama and... That is where it is tough. Georgia or Texas. Everyone is talking about Florida State. FSU just beat Louisville.

• I have an opinion that has nothing to do with A&M. Oklahoma State lost 45-3 to Central Florida. They lost to South Alabama 33-7 at home. Those are disgraceful losses, and that is who Texas played in their conference title game.

• Louisville lost to Pitt, but they have been a good football team. FSU held them to six points. FSU won in The Swamp. That's a big difference between Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. FSU did it with a third-stringer.

• I think I would put Texas in there. I think I would go with Alabama too. I would be wrestling with Texas, Alabama and Georgia. Texas had the easiest path but one of the two toughest games. Georgia, how do you put them in over Alabama? I can't put Georgia in over Alabama. I couldn't put Alabama over Texas. To me, the best teams, those three are fighting got two spots.

Segment 2 (10:45:21 - 11:15:17)

• Is Georgia better than Washington? Probably. Washington had a stretch where they weren't dominant. They barely beat Arizona, but look at Arizona now. 

Segment 3 (11:15:17 - 23:06:17)

• We have not talked about Elijah Robinson. There are a lot of things out there these days that were flat-ass wrong. One youngster in particular races to our site every time something happens. 75 percent of it is wrong. I will be wrong sometimes. It is not going to happen a lot. If you are reading or hearing stuff and I am holding back on it, there is probably a reason why. 

• Elijah Robinson was never staying. He was always wrestling with a tough decision. His leaving is tough for the program, players and fans. There is not a negative thing I can say about that guy. 

• One thing with portal and coaches leaving is don’t say the whole thing is falling apart when the transition is going to be rough. I mentioned Brian Kelly. People at LSU were like, "What the hell did we just do?" He was a wildly successful coach at Notre Dame.

• People forget when A&M hired Jimbo, there was a rough transition. I know, ultimately, it didn't work, but it wasn't cause Jimbo could not handle the job. People freaked out with Steve Sarkisian too. Look at how Kelly and Sark have turned out.

• Losing Elijah is tough, so you go hire Sean Spencer the next day. Mike Elko knew that if he lost him, which was possible, this was his answer.

• The key is to have an answer. Elko would have loved to keep Elijah. You lost a coach. You will lose some players as a result. I know everyone expects a mass exodus. I don't think it's that. You will lose guys that hurt. You have to replace them. You go find better. You go find the equivalent.

• My point is, as fans and on social media, try not to ride the wave so much, because all it does is feed the wave. This place is not burning.

• If you lost a veteran player at a position that is not All-Conference, for whatever they are making in NIL, you go get another one of equal or greater value if you are good at what you are doing. I know losing Elijah hurts, but if a couple of players go because of that, you can bring guys in.

• This has not been a national championship team or program. They are 12-12 the last two years. Who are the lay-down first-rounders? Is McKinney Jackson a first-rounder? He is a damn good player. I hope he is because that kid poured a lot into this place. He played and practiced hurt. My point is that the program is not where it needs to be, and that is why there is a coaching change. There needs to be a culture change. Part of it is coaching, but part is players too. 

• I don’t think any one guy is bigger than the whole thing of what you are trying to get accomplished. I don’t think any one coach is either. Elijah will be as close as you get to that. I see people saying, "They should have made him the defensive coordinator." Some people go, "Well, Elko is the defensive coordinator, really, anyway." That is not true. He did not call the defenses at Duke on game day. That was Tyler Santucci.

• Elijah has never called a defense in a football game. As a head coach when you have a lot of money to spend on coordinators, is that the direction you go? He might be a great coordinator, but right now, he has never called a defensive play.

• Tyler Santucci has only done it for a year. In the perfect world, you keep Elijah, and he ascends to be your defensive coordinator, but you don't do it out of fear of what might happen.

• There is tough decision-making involved. I have watched coaches and A&M do things out of fear. Example: "Don’t let Dameyune Craig go because you have Evan Stewart committed or Cameron Coleman‍ committed." Then what happens? What has happened at that position in a five- or six-year stretch? That type of thing does not win long term. 

Segment 4 (23:06:18 - 29:14:16)

• This is the first coaching change we have seen at Texas A&M since the portal has been like it is. Jimbo was hired six years ago. There was a different landscape. It was just graduate transfers. Other guys had to sit out. It was not even called the portal. It's a different day and age.

• With the transfers, when guys say they are going in, there is a 48-hour period. Walter Nolen might go in, but they are meeting with A&M and Elko today before that is official to see if they can make it work. If there is not a way, wait to see who comes in. If a guy goes in, he does not have to transfer. Unfortunately, a lot of that will happen. They will test the market. They will be lied to. 

• Elko and the staff will go into the portal with the intent to upgrade the roster and change the culture as quickly as possible. The goal is not to have a massive turnover, but there will be. You will not have answers immediately. Wait and see how things play out.

• Oklahoma State lost virtually every meaningful player last year, and they played for a Big 12 title on Saturday. They beat Oklahoma. They managed to field a football team and, in their conference, have a pretty damn good season. 

• How does Sean Spencer do here? Who does Mike Elko hire as his offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator? That's what really matters. When you lose a player, who do you bring in?

• The first and second most important things are the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. Elko thinks that the defensive coordinator thing is important so he can be a head coach. He wants to be a head football coach. Let's wait to see who those are before we judge this first coaching staff

I think I lost brain cells reading this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Even with his jabs at Texas during his bitchfest about the selection process leading up to this conclusion, I bet it was incredibly painful for him to say that.

Apparently someone fluent in speaking to idiots explained to him that a SEC team wouldn't be among the top 4 if Texas weren't slotted at 3. Just a wag.

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

SlicedBread is a BroBible poster who Jimbo went off on in a press conference, for saying that A&M was paying their players huge money.

start watching at 0:23

If A&M was a person that person would be Jimbo Fisher

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

• There were a lot of teams that would have gone undefeated after that Alabama game with Texas' schedule. There are more teams that would have navigated that with one loss. No one looks at it that way.

Have to slight Texas, though they did what we have never been able to do, beating the SEC champs in the process.

• They did not ask the counterpoint questions. That's all we got when A&M was considered. That's all Florida State got. No one ever said, "Notre Dame lost to Clemson in the conference championship." Before, Notre Dame beat Clemson without Trevor Lawrence playing.

In 2020, A&M beat 3 teams with a winning record.

1 of those was UNC, whose best players sat out the bowl game.

6 of the 9 teams they beat either fired their coaches or had a first year head coach.

• I have an opinion that has nothing to do with A&M. Oklahoma State lost 45-3 to Central Florida. They lost to South Alabama 33-7 at home. Those are disgraceful losses, and that is who Texas played in their conference title game.

Have to slight the Big 12, though they won it a grand total of once.

• We have not talked about Elijah Robinson. There are a lot of things out there these days that were flat-ass wrong. One youngster in particular races to our site every time something happens. 75 percent of it is wrong. I will be wrong sometimes. It is not going to happen a lot. If you are reading or hearing stuff and I am holding back on it, there is probably a reason why. 

Have to denounce the "lessers" as know-nothings, lest anyone begin paying attention to what they have to say that may counter the University's official narrative.

• Elijah Robinson was never staying. He was always wrestling with a tough decision. His leaving is tough for the program, players and fans. There is not a negative thing I can say about that guy. 

"I knew it the whole time. Just couldn't tell you."

• People forget when A&M hired Jimbo, there was a rough transition. I know, ultimately, it didn't work, but it wasn't cause Jimbo could not handle the job. People freaked out with Steve Sarkisian too. Look at how Kelly and Sark have turned out.

To this point, what Sarkisian has accomplished and what Kelly has accomplished are not remotely comparable. Kelly lost to a downtrodden aggy program, for one.

•  Is McKinney Jackson a first-rounder? He is a damn good player. I hope he is because that kid poured a lot into this place. He played and practiced hurt.

Does the NFL do background checks? Right, they do. I am guessing they'll frown on a drug dealer. Not saying he won't be drafted, but dealing drugs is a pretty big red flag to everyone but Texas A&M.

• Oklahoma State lost virtually every meaningful player last year, and they played for a Big 12 title on Saturday. They beat Oklahoma. They managed to field a football team and, in their conference, have a pretty damn good season

Have to slight the Big12 again. A tiny dick makes a guy pretty insecure, I guess.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

SlicedBread is a BroBible poster who Jimbo went off on in a press conference, for saying that A&M was paying their players huge money.

start watching at 0:23

“We ain’t going anywhere.” 😂

Jimbo really was perfect for that place.

1 hour ago, RollingPresidential said:

I think I lost brain cells reading this.

Pittsburgh was 3-9 and 2-6 in a dog shit conference. That is the team he used to justify Louisville being better than Oklahoma State. UCF would boat race both Pittsburgh and Louisville, because they have an excellent coach. Oklahoma State would boat race Pittsburgh and likely beat Louisville. It's funny how he says that Oklahoma State lost to South Alabama, but Alabama is this juggernaut that needed a fucking miracle to beat a team that New Mexico State waxed a week earlier. Georgia is also not some great SEC team either. Their offense is shit, mainly because their QB is a fucking joke. Texas would absolutely smother that fucking offense, just like they did to Alabama in week 2.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

image.thumb.png.59a05a761034e9bcb2586422a61ff622.png

aggy crying louder on Florida State’s behalf than the Seminoles. 

Remarkable. 

That's becuase they're idiots. Despite the 3 seed, they think the choice was between Texas and FSU, when in reality even the head of the CFP committee said yesterday ON THE AIR that it absolutely was a final choice between Alabama and FSU for the last spot in the playoff. And you know those twats are never going to claim that the SEC champion should have been left out of the playoff.