Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Just now, South Austin said:

Translation:  We're hiring a guy who won't be able to beat Texas.

Yeah, some of them becoming self-aware is a little tricky to understand. Just have to always remember that whatever they do will end in complete embarrassment and making an ass of themselves. 

It's clear they're embracing this "more with less" narrative. They seem intent on going the opposite direction of Jimbo with hires. 

But this is still a terrible way to approach things. Assistants and coordinators that have proven they produce elite units at big schools (Banks, Flood, Sark, Davis, etc) are still the types you want. 

I'll take assistants that have proven themselves at schools like Alabama, Ohio State, etc any day over this "more with less" approach. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's clear they're embracing this "more with less" narrative. They seem intent on going the opposite direction of Jimbo with hires. 

But this is still a terrible way to approach things. Assistants and coordinators that have proven they produce elite units at big schools (Banks, Flood, Sark, Davis, etc) are still the types you want. 

I'll take assistants that have proven themselves at schools like Alabama, Ohio State, etc any day over this "more with less" approach. 

I would say it's a typical over contrast from previous experiment with a hire but they seem to be going above and beyond that contrast. They're trying to create that environment with money and forcing it rather than organically building it. Bold strategy.

• Hook 'Em 1

It must suck for Billy that they hired Klein for OC immediately after Petrino. 

Given their difference in age/experience he must have had to do a little more customization to his find/replace name coordinator hire announcement template.

"Rising star" was a predictable, lazy choice for whatever "seasoned veteran" descriptor I'm sure he used for Bobby.

This is so funny

• He's been at KSU since 2017 in QB/OC roles.  KSU's recruiting rankings: 61, 66, 64, 51, 56, 63, 33.   Avery Johnson was their highest ranked player in 2023 - 4 star, #95.  Aggy will lose their fucking mind if their highest ranked skill player is a 4 star QB barely in the top 100, because it means all those skill players in Texas will be going to Texas, Georgia, LSU and Bama. 
  • He wasn't even good enough to be Kleiman's OC to start! He was co-OC under Snyder, then when Kleiman took over, he was demoted to QB only until last year after Messingham got fired. He has 3 seasons as an OC (1 as a co-OC and 2 as sole OC)
  • Same OC who only managed 14 points against Texas in 3 quarters and needed a Texas INT and fumble to get them 13 of their 16 points in the 4th Q

They are 100% leaning into this tough, gritty football program - party like it's 1998! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It must suck for Billy that they hired Klein for OC immediately after Petrino. 

Given their difference in age/experience he must have had to do a little more customization to his find/replace name coordinator hire announcement template.

"Rising star" was a predictable, lazy choice for whatever "seasoned veteran" descriptor I'm sure he used for Bobby.

Sitting Big12 Champion OC!

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It’s clear that Looch doesn’t quite know how to approach this hire with the aggy faithful. Notice how he doesn’t use any adjectives to describe Klein. He only describes the type of texts he’s receiving and continues on about how they are ‘raving’ about the hire. looch is in a tough spot here trying to spin this. But he’s done it successfully many times over the years. Let’s see how this plays out.

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This screams like a guy who will relate perfectly to recruits.

I clicked on the link and read a bit. It says he made the vow not to kiss a girl till he got married when he was 14 years old. 

I'magine making a vow when you were 14 years old, any vow other than "I'm going to fuck anything that will let me fuck it that I don't find grotesque" and sticking with it. All through college. All through college where you eventually end up as the starting QB on the college football team. I'd argue that's almost a sign of mental illness.

When I was 8 I saw the neighbor's Jaguar and asked my mom what they did for a living. She told me a doctor. Let me tell you I really wanted to be a motherfucking doctor, right up until the point I had to take Bio. Sometimes the smartest play is an obvious audible. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I clicked on the link and read a bit. It says he made the vow not to kiss a girl till he got married when he was 14 years old. 

I'magine making a vow when you were 14 years old, any vow other than "I'm going to fuck anything that will let me fuck it that I don't find grotesque" and sticking with it. All through college. All through college where you eventually end up as the starting QB on the college football team. I'd argue that's almost a sign of mental illness.

Same

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Jake Johnson is a big loss. Klein likes to use 2 TEs a lot. 

Now they're down to essentially Donovan Green coming off a major season-ending injury? 

I think they mentioned Max Wright has a Covid year he can use. He’ll be going pro in something other than football, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I would say it's a typical over contrast from previous experiment with a hire but they seem to be going above and beyond that contrast. They're trying to create that environment with money and forcing it rather than organically building it. Bold strategy.

@billfromlaketravis actually called it perfectly with this new hire. 

They are over-correcting big time with this hire because they were viewed as a team that underachieved with talent under Jimbo. They're now going after less-proven coaches with this mantra of "do more with less." 

It's still stupid as hell. Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, and now Texas types are all full of coaches that most would consider big time hires. 

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Well, if aggy can somehow face Maalik Murphy in all of their regular season games next year, I see no way they get left out of the college football playoff. 

I know sometimes this board holds grimly to the belief that QBs never improve. I will submit that after a full season, Murphy might be pretty fucking dangerous with that cannon he has. 

I wish he'd stay with us, but, if he leaves for more playing time somewhere else, I bet he ends up being a very good QB.

I saw enough of Manning to believe he will be the man at some point.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He just can't help himself.  There is absolutely no way, in any universe, that Collin Klein moves the needle with recruits.  None.

They keep trying to force that narrative....seems like with every hire they have made he's tweeted that type of comment out. It's hilarious. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

I still can't believe the OL commit from the Pacific NW is still committed to him.  He's had a steady drop in the rankings, so maybe he's a JAG and local schools aren't all that interested?  Just looking overall at the aggy class, it looks pretty meh'.  I'm betting they lose several more to make it look worse and replace them with those 3* "want to be aggy" types.

56 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

The goal is to get bowl eligible and then keep walking down the road,” Jimbo Fisher said. “We have four more games.” In 2022, the Aggies were only able to win five games all season long. So, being at five wins with four games to go does seem like progress

Jimbo really got the Aggies.

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Looks like he bounced to play in a more modern offense like USC. More likely is getting Avery Johson to transfer. 

I bet they also make a play at Lagway now. 

Is Will Howard a done deal? It seems like USC is looking at every startable QB in the portal

Did Avery Johnson go to KSU because of Klein? 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They keep trying to force that narrative....seems like with every hire they have made he's tweeted that type of comment out. It's hilarious. 

And it's totally unnecessary!  A focus on football coaches rather than recruiters is likely what the program needs and would be an easy narrative to sell to the fanbase.  But admitting that they might not be the prettiest belle at the ball is apparently a bridge too far.

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

When I was 8 I saw the neighbor's Jaguar and asked my mom what they did for a living. She told me a doctor. Let me tell you I really wanted to be a motherfucking doctor, right up until the point I had to take Bio. Sometimes the smartest play is an obvious audible. 

I won’t hate on a guy for having conviction and sticking to his guns. We’d be better off if more people had a moral/ethical backbone. I will hate on him for risking his career to coach at such a failure of a football school. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Is Will Howard a done deal? It seems like USC is looking at every startable QB in the portal

Did Avery Johnson go to KSU because of Klein? 

Yes, he's pretty much what Klein likes at QB. Get ready for a lot of this aggy against better defenses/front 7s. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It means he's a fucking liar IMO.  Which tracks perfectly with his bullshit pious persona.

• Hook 'Em 2