If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

dont want Meyer scandal will follow. Please throw money at Bryan Harsin and get him here. Should have been offered the job before Herman.
Yeah, look at the complete shambles ohio state was left in after him. I wonder if they'll ever recover.

Florida, yeah, but that had nothing to do with any scandals and everything to do with Muschamp's horrible OC decisions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

dont want Meyer scandal will follow. Please throw money at Bryan Harsin and get him here. Should have been offered the job before Herman.

I'm really having a hard time keeping track of all the new, shitty accounts here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

You want another unproven G5 coach in here over a HOF coach who has proven to he able to rebuild programs?  No wonder we suck with that kind of half ass mindset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

Great idea.  And you probably think whataburger is better for having sold out to that yankee firm out of, where was it again...? Oh, yeah...Chicago.🤨🙄

6 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

I thought he had no interest in coming here and leaving Boise State. Didn't we go through this back in 2016?

He is from Boise and has no interest in leaving. As far as I know nothing has changed about that. It is not like we wouldn't have paid him millions in 2016 if he had been interested.

Edited by Valmy77

I am a huge PJ Fleck fan and I think he will continue to be awesome in Minnesota but I don't know if he is the right guy for us. He is a rustbelt guy and he doesn't have that resume people here want to see. And some people might not buy his personality which I think kind of works in the midwest but might be kind of...um...hokey here.

He is only 39 years old though so if people were looking for that young and hungry coach he is a possibility.

But people seem to want some old dude with a long track record behind him. Fair enough, we have already tried two up and comers.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

And as Meyer causing scandals, well we already have scandals and controversy. 

And I am looking through his history at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State and not seeing this big scandal. So what are we talking about?

I have three cousins in and around the West Virginia area.  Apparently the bowling green players regularly harassed nerds.  Nerds got lambda lambda lambda lambda to step in and the rest is history

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought he had no interest in coming here and leaving Boise State. Didn't we go through this back in 2016?

He is from Boise and has no interest in leaving. As far as I know nothing has changed about that. It is not like we wouldn't have paid him millions in 2016 if he had been interested.

He wasn’t a candidate in 2016. I think Harding’s main source of unhappiness when he was an oc is gone now

I am a huge PJ Fleck fan and I think he will continue to be awesome in Minnesota but I don't know if he is the right guy for us. He is a rustbelt guy and he doesn't have that resume people here want to see. And some people might not buy his personality which I think kind of works in the midwest but might be kind of...um...hokey here.

He is only 39 years old though so if people were looking for that young and hungry coach he is a possibility.

But people seem to want some old dude with a long track record behind him. Fair enough, we have already tried two up and comers.

Ok, admittedly I’m not even close to a regular contributor to the board, nor am I the most “educated” CFB historian; however I do agree with what you’re saying @Valmy77.  
Every time I click on this thread to catching; I always skip voting for my 2nd choice because until now , there was none.tarting to come around out Fleck due to what you pointed out- “a rust belt guy” and one of which, his personality, some people around here might not buy. This reminds me of Bob Stoops. Young, 39, some experience (Fry, Crum, Snyder, Spurrier) skins on the wall (‘97 MNC at UF)....Anyway- I’m thinking he may be my #2.  I want someone who can recruit, rally the troops, COACH and DEVELOP players.  I think that leads to long term success.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:09 AM, Don Johnson said:

Morris was the worst head coach in the history of the SEC.  Not just for the 0-14 SEC record.  More so for the ass kickings delivered by North Texas, Colorado State, San Jose State and capped with a 45-19 ass whipping by a Western Kentucky team lead by a QB Morris ran off a few months prior.  

It was obvious that Morris only cared about the paycheck, not rebuilding the program. 

And as Meyer causing scandals, well we already have scandals and controversy. 

And I am looking through his history at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State and not seeing this big scandal. So what are we talking about?

Zach Smith has a podcast/blog just for you 

On 10/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, closetohumping said:

He wasn’t a candidate in 2016. I think Harding’s main source of unhappiness when he was an oc is gone now

Gone but not dead and unfortunately still has the ears of some significant BMDs. We know who that is and he would cockblock anyone that has significant potential if he could.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a first choice I'd be more for Urban than against.  As a second choice I'd pull a DC from a VERY GOOD P5 program.  I just don't understand the the love for Urban.  When he was at Florida, he developed brain/headaches/head issues and wanted to retire from coaching bc it was too much and spend time with family.  Well, low and behold he turns up in Ohio before the sheet were changed on the hospital bed.  That was followed w the Z Smith debacle.  I recently was ripped (probably again today) for mentioning Art B(who can't be trusted either).  We rip pedo state for Joe Pa and what wasn't done correctly there; so why the double standard for Urban?  Seems like he can't be trusted to me.  I think he'd sign a fat paycheck, coach just long enough, then bail off to a Caribbean island.  Or does he have a big ego/axe to prove he is better than Satan?  Don't get wrong I'd like the program where we belong at the top, maybe I'm over skeptical. Would we be OK with Coach Boom back?

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

All successful coaches are insufferable narcissistic assholes. It’s the mindset you need to run over everyone, abusing who you can, in order to reach your goals. The idea of the successful nice guy coach is a fallacy. Those guys don’t win shit.

Urban.

Franklin.

Briles.

Those are the biggest assholes on the block who can realistically be swayed to come here. Those are your candidates.

I recently was ripped for mentioning Art B

And that's fair.

We rip pedo state for Joe Pa and what wasn't done correctly there; so why the double standard for Urban?

It's not a double standard. Urban didn't enable anyone systemically raping little kids. That's why we rip Penn St. It's not that hard.

Seems like he can't be trusted to me.  I think he'd sign a fat paycheck, coach just long enough, then bail off to a Caribbean island.  Or does he have a big ego/axe to prove he is better than Satan?  Don't get wrong I'd like the program where we belong at the top, maybe I'm over skeptical.

Everywhere he has coached has been a better program when he left than when he took over. I'm ok to be the next stop on that train.

Would we be OK with Coach Boom back?

If you're skeptical on Urban but want to consider Muschamp, you're either trolling (likely) or a fucking idiot (also likely).

5 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Not trolling, most likely fucking idiot.  Just asking questions.  In my book, a wrong is a wrong.  Raping kids and wife beating are both wrongs.  Whatever the answer is, I hope it arrives soon before my "give a shit" runs out and I take up watching lacrosse.

There is a huge and clear difference between the two. 

50 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Not trolling, most likely fucking idiot.  Just asking questions.  In my book, a wrong is a wrong.  Raping kids and wife beating are both wrongs.  Whatever the answer is, I hope it arrives soon before my "give a shit" runs out and I take up watching lacrosse.

Don't believe everything you read on Facebook. 

22 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

As a first choice I'd be more for Urban than against.  As a second choice I'd pull a DC from a VERY GOOD P5 program.  I just don't understand the the love for Urban.  When he was at Florida, he developed brain/headaches/head issues and wanted to retire from coaching bc it was too much and spend time with family.  Well, low and behold he turns up in Ohio before the sheet were changed on the hospital bed.  That was followed w the Z Smith debacle.  I recently was ripped (probably again today) for mentioning Art B(who can't be trusted either).  We rip pedo state for Joe Pa and what wasn't done correctly there; so why the double standard for Urban?  Seems like he can't be trusted to me.  I think he'd sign a fat paycheck, coach just long enough, then bail off to a Caribbean island.  Or does he have a big ego/axe to prove he is better than Satan?  Don't get wrong I'd like the program where we belong at the top, maybe I'm over skeptical. Would we be OK with Coach Boom back?

let's be real clear, what happened at Penn State was multiple orders of magnitude worse than anything that happened anywhere around Urban Meyer.

Think about Sparty / Michigan today.

Mel Tucker (Michigan State) would bolt for UT from East Lansing so fast if the $ was right. He left CU for greener pastures without a second thought. 

He's a good coach, and Michigan State noticed that in the 2019 season. Today, he willed a shit MSU team to beat Michigan at The Big House. He's a motivator, very competitive, and all about the $$$. 

Food for thought... 

5 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Mel Tucker (Michigan State) would bolt for UT from East Lansing so fast if the $ was right. He left CU for greener pastures without a second thought. 

He's a good coach, and Michigan State noticed that in the 2019 season. Today, he willed a shit MSU team to beat Michigan at The Big House. He's a motivator, very competitive, and all about the $$$. 

Food for thought... 

What has he done to show that he is a good head coach??

He did not beat Michigan, Harbaugh beat Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Food for thought... 

You get no extra credit for beating someone on the road when there's 100 fans instead of 100,000

On 11/1/2020 at 12:55 AM, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Food for thought... 

If I wanted a sooner's opinion, I'd take a shit.

ASU vs USC this weekend....

Seems like Ol' Herm is doing pretty decent job of building ASU. He's running his program like an NFL organization, and selling that his staff will better develop players for the NFL.  He also has improved the recruiting at ASU -- Herm gets that better recruiting is critical for success in CFB.

For discussion purposes, just say Urban is actually done coaching CFB, who else might be able to replicate what Herm Edwards is currently doing ASU??