the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Does this mean Ttom gets to lock SCOTUS up as traitors too?

You know the answer to that question. Anyone who fails to install dear leader for life is part of the conspiracy and they just love dreaming of non-existant tribunals.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

PA should promptly file a “Mind your own business and go fuck yourself” motion. 

PA should countersue. They can say that by only allowing one dropbox per county Texas violated the equal protection clause. As a remedy, the only votes that should count are from the blue counties.

• Like 2

PA should countersue. They can say that by only allowing one dropbox per county Texas violated the equal protection clause. As a remedy, the only votes that should count are from the blue counties.

Fuck that. I want to see Texas sue Ohio over that Cincinnati chili abomination.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The word on MAGA Twitter is that they denied the PA suit because the Texas suit contains the same set of issues but also the other states, because PA does not have sufficient EVs to change result alone.

Alito as Ninja:

Official lawsuits!! 🤡🤡

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

lol

Maybe it's because I have a PhD and am intimately familiar with hypothesis testing so it hits close to home, but that's the most mind-blowingly stupid thing I've seen in this entire episode.  One of my idiot undergrads could tear that hypothesis testing apart.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe it's because I have a PhD and am intimately familiar with hypothesis testing so it hits close to home, but that's the most mind-blowingly stupid thing I've seen in this entire episode.  One of my idiot undergrads could tear that hypothesis testing apart.  

I read this in the voice of Comic Book Guy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

SCOTUS made no comments. Who the fuck is this guy?

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Think that’s what the PA SC said. 

Yeah, that whole sequence pissed me off.  He's quoting SCOTUS, and he's actually quoting one of the advocates.....from the state court fight, not the SCOTUS fight.  That's lying, and it fucking pisses me off.  He is literally "fake newsing" this, and it's harmful, just as Trump's relentless lies are harmful.  That guy should be negged as fuck.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Official lawsuits!! 🤡🤡

As opposed to the, you know, unofficial ones...

b8976ae6e85da56c450c598ff56e7d4341-lucil

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There is no clearer way to convey "This is a fucking waste of our time" than to write a one-sentence denial and nothing else.

image.png

That's actually what they're supposed to write.  They aren't supposed to create commentary or controversy where none is needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's actually what they're supposed to write.  They aren't supposed to create commentary or controversy where none is needed.

So I guess that if the one sentence had been "Get the fuck out of here with that shit, motherfucker." it wouldn't have met that standard on commentary or controversy.  Still would have rocked.

Apparently, Louisiana and Alabama are trying to join in on the Texas filing. Which on its face is hilarious and predictable that two of the dumbest states would pile on, but you know ESPN is just itching to award Trump the Presidency once enough SEC states join.

Note that that is on the request for injunctive relief pending filing a writ of certiorari.  Like the other PA case that is up there, Boockvar.  In the other case, an injunction was denied except to segregate votes received after close of the polls.

The first case is still pending cert and will not be resolved in time to affect the election.

It will be interesting to see if this case gets a cert petition.  Both of them present interesting legal questions, neither justifies undoing the PA election.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I don’t get why trumpers think SCOTUS will just roll over and give him anything he wants. 

All of them know their decisions will be dissected for a very long time. They also don’t want their names mentioned in the same breath with Joseph McCarthy, J Edgar Hoover and Nixon. I know trump doesn’t care about this but when Cruz and that lot start thinking about this I hope they reverse course. As a guy who always voted Republican before 2016 I plan on actually doing volunteer work for Democrat candidates to get these cancers out of Texas as soon as possible. From a guy that can’t be bothered to do any civics work ever.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Note that that is on the request for injunctive relief pending filing a writ of certiorari.  Like the other PA case that is up there.  In the other case, an injunction was denied except to segregate votes received after close of the polls.

The first case is still pending cert and will not be resolved in time to affect the election.

It will be interesting to see if this case gets a cert petition.  Both of them present interesting legal questions, neither justifies undoing the PA election.

And if you can't get relief that will materially change the status of the parties, it doesn't matter if there are interesting questions pending -- the court doesn't issue advisory opinions.

It sure looks like the GOP strategy was "okay, we've spotted some defects in voting systems that we think we can make hay about.  Let's wait until all the votes are cast and the election is over, and if it doesn't go our way, we'll use those arguments to nuke the whole election and at worst get a do-over!"  That was a terrible strategy, for all the reasons mentioned by numerous courts.  If you are aware of a defect that is likely to harm you, then you need to litigate it BEFORE the election, so you don't ask a court to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands/millions of people who have ALREADY VOTED.

It's a clever strategy....totally undermined by how fucking stupid it is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And if you can't get relief that will materially change the status of the parties, it doesn't matter if there are interesting questions pending -- the court doesn't issue advisory opinions.

It sure looks like the GOP strategy was "okay, we've spotted some defects in voting systems that we think we can make hay about.  Let's wait until all the votes are cast and the election is over, and if it doesn't go our way, we'll use those arguments to nuke the whole election and at worst get a do-over!"  That was a terrible strategy, for all the reasons mentioned by numerous courts.  If you are aware of a defect that is likely to harm you, then you need to litigate it BEFORE the election, so you don't ask a court to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands/millions of people who have ALREADY VOTED.

I'm not sure either of the suits seek ONLY wild-ass injunctive relief.  If they have claims in their original complaint for declaratory relief with perhaps a prospective injunction, it would seem they survive mootness and case/controversy. Standing might be an issue then, though.

I find it interesting that the plaintiffs in Boockvar are still seeking cert, at least thus far.  It will be interesting to see if the Kelly plaintiffs even file, since their "Kraken" remedy is off the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So help me here. You are saying it is totally on point for Trump? I will have to research all the trump decisions to see if you are correct.

Ok you are correct.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure either of the suits seek ONLY wild-ass injunctive relief.  If they have claims in their original complaint for declaratory relief with perhaps a prospective injunction, it would seem they survive mootness and case/controversy. Standing might be an issue then, though.

I find it interesting that the plaintiffs in Boockvar are still seeking cert, at least thus far.  It will be interesting to see if the Kelly plaintiffs even file, since their "Kraken" remedy is off the table.

Agreed as to bolded.  And that's something we all discussed back when laches first came up.  If they want to fix something that's wrong with a voting procedure going forward, go for it (like the possible Penn Const. defect).  But you aren't going to get to lie in wait, and then disenfranchise millions of voters who innocently and justifiably relied on a process that nobody said was illegal (in large part because you delayed in ASKING anyone to declare it illegal).

Of course, even then, these requests for prospective relief can be cured/mooted with new legislative action.  And even though "don't let anyone vote" is the GOP strategy, I don't think they can keep it up for the long term.  Or maybe even the short term.   They'll have some wins, no doubt, but the people, including their own voters, now expect easy voting, relatively easy mail-in voting, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas’ Injunctive request to SCOTUS states that even the 1/20/21 inauguration of the President will not moot their request to invalidate the other states’ certification as unconstitutional - and allow those state legislatures to reappoint electors.

So no problemo.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed as to bolded.  And that's something we all discussed back when laches first came up.  If they want to fix something that's wrong with a voting procedure going forward, go for it (like the possible Penn Const. defect).  But you aren't going to get to lie in wait, and then disenfranchise millions of voters who innocently and justifiably relied on a process that nobody said was illegal (in large part because you delayed in ASKING anyone to declare it illegal).

Of course, even then, these requests for prospective relief can be cured/mooted with new legislative action.  And even though "don't let anyone vote" is the GOP strategy, I don't think they can keep it up for the long term.  Or maybe even the short term.   They'll have some wins, no doubt, but the people, including their own voters, now expect easy voting, relatively easy mail-in voting, etc.

Both Kelly and Boockvar present kind of interesting questions about how far the state (judicial branch in Boockvar, and executive? in Kelly) can go in running elections in legally suspect ways without invoking federal constitutional scrutiny.

In Boockvar the PA Supreme Court rewrote the legislative law, and in Kelly, the executive implemented legislation that everyone should have known was not constitutional under their own constitution. The same damned law, Act 77. Fucking weird stuff.

I'd kind of like to see the answers to those two questions when immediate effects are off the table.  Maybe also by a more balanced Supreme Court.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Texas’ Injunctive request to SCOTUS states that even the 1/20/21 inauguration of the President will not moot their request to invalidate the other states’ certification as unconstitutional - and allow those state legislatures to reappoint electors.

So no problemo.

Allow them to reappoint electors......to do what, exactly?  Cast a vote that's already been cast, in an election that has been decided?  The relief HAS to be granted prior to irrevocable action (like actually swearing in a new president).  What Paxton is asking for is nonsense.  Which is actually par for the Paxton course.  His problem is that in Texas, with super-favorable GOP-heavy courts in many places, "nonsense" is often plenty to get what he wants.

Texas also says that even without fraud or nefarious intent, the mail-in ballots not subjected to the ballot integrity process (read: non-in person day of voting ballots) cannot be counted. Any of them.

This effort to ignore the votes of those defendant states’ citizens is alleged by Texas to be for the purpose of - wait for it - avoiding “chaos” and bringing “some sort of order” to the election process.

28 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So no problemo.

I don’t understand what this means