Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/us/black-ohio-woman-criminally-charged-after-miscarriage-underscores-the-perils-of-pregnancy-postroe/ar-AA1lAZEk?ocid=sapphireappshare

Whether abortion-seekers should face criminal charges is a matter of debate within the anti-abortion community, but, post-Dobbs, pregnant women like Watts, who was not even trying to get an abortion, have increasingly found themselves charged with “crimes against their own pregnancies,” said Grace Howard, assistant justice studies professor at San José State University.

• Rage+1 4

On 12/15/2023 at 6:43 AM, wildcat09 said:

Anyone who is wasting serious time and energy blaming the Texas Tribune for normalizing fascism has a few screws loose.

I don’t know if they are the worst perpetrators, but it seems like a solid observation in general. You of all people know this. This shit has been normalized since the press couldn’t call dotard a liar in 2017 when he said his inauguration was the largest ever. “Alternative facts” out front should have told you. 

Texas Companies Say Republicans Are Ruining Their Business

A coalition of Texas businesses have said ambiguity over abortion bans in the Lone Star State is making recruitment harder, following the near all-out ban enacted by Republicans.

An amicus brief originally filed by law firm Reed Smith and signed by 40 Texas companies was filed in support of 22 women who are suing the state of Texas over its abortion laws. Numerous businesses have endorsed the letter. These include dating platforms such as Bumble and Match Group (owner of Match.com and Tinder); prominent advertising agencies Preacher and GSD&M; event organizers SXSW; and the United States Women's Chamber of Commerce, along with various Texas real-estate companies, law firms, and restaurant groups.

The companies say that Texas abortion laws render the state less appealing for families considering relocating to a place where they can comfortably start a family. The Texas Legislature, dominated by Republican representatives, passed a trigger law on abortion in 2021. It is currently illegal to have an abortion after a fetus has a heartbeat, which typically occurs around six weeks, often before the woman knows she is pregnant, unless there is a significant threat to the mother's life. The overturning of Roe vs. Wade by the Supreme Court in 2022 gave states the power to limit abortion access.

Those in Texas seeking abortion services at any point in pregnancy will now need to travel outside the state, explore options beyond U.S., resort to illegal means, or to carry the unwanted pregnancy to term. Birth control and emergency contraceptives, such as Plan B, are distinct from the medications used for inducing abortion and continue to be legally accessible.

Abortion access has been popular among voters in the wake of Roe vs. Wade ending. Numerous polls have found majority support for abortion rights in most states, red or blue, and every state-level election concerning the matter in the last year has seen voters come out strongly in support of protecting access to abortion. In the November 2022 midterms, for example, voters rejected anti-abortion ballot measures in Kentucky and Montana.

The plaintiffs in the Zurawski vs. Texas case are former patients who say that they were denied medically necessary abortions due to physicians being scared of potential legal ramifications. The amicus brief filed in support says the ban "has impacted, and will continue to impact, companies doing business in Texas, companies thinking about doing business in Texas, employees living in or traveling to Texas, and individuals considering relocating to Texas."

The brief adds: "Because of those undeniable realities, businesses are now forced to confront this issue head on—not for moral or legal reasons—but to keep the lights on and people working, making money."

"As a multinational, publicly traded tech company led by many women, we feel it's our duty not just to provide our workforce with access to reproductive health care, but to speak out – and speak loudly – against the retrogression of women's rights," said Whitney Wolfe Herd, founder, executive chair, and former CEO of Bumble. "Texas's confusing medical exceptions increase business costs, drive away talent, and threaten workforce diversity and well-being. We must unequivocally support equal rights for our employees and customers to make their own reproductive choices."

Bumble's filing cites research indicating that almost half of young women in nine battleground states are either contemplating or actively planning a move to a state offering "comprehensive protections" for reproductive health care. The filing highlights that nearly two-thirds of college-educated workers across the nation would not contemplate employment in a state with abortion restrictions.

In 2022, research conducted by nonprofit The Institute for Women's Policy Research found that across America "currently employed women aged 15 to 44 would gain $101.8 billion in higher earnings annually" if state level restrictions on abortion didn't exist.

On December 7, Texas Governor Greg Abbott lauded Texas' "continuing economic momentum" as the Bureau of Economic Analysis revealed the Texas economy expanded "faster than the nation as a whole for the fourth quarter in a row."

"Opportunity knows no bounds in Texas, thanks to the hardworking men and women of this great state," Gov. Abbott said. "Texas' continuing economic expansion, well ahead of the United States as a whole for the fourth quarter in a row, is further proof that when given the freedom to aspire, businesses invest and people prosper. Together, we continue to build a bigger, bolder Texas of tomorrow."

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Fucking finally. The cowardly silence of corporations has been deafening in the last few years. At least this is something.

Just had to wait until it became unprofitable to treat women like chattel for the slightest of objections to be heard

• Hook 'Em 1

I've commented upon this before but once again--the taxpayers of this state subsidized my childrens' education and they have decided that opportunities and a healthier future lie outside of its confines. Despite being recruited to work and reside here, they said, "yeah, no" and are working and living elsewhere. Once we retire, we will likely go somewhere within easy travel to wherever they are but it's not likely to be here. Investment in people yields dividends that are difficult but not impossible to be enumerated with a dollar value but I'd say that Abbott's (and the GOP's) short term thinking will ultimately end up with a state where the uppermost classes may have the usual gripes but for everyone else, life will be a struggle for resources. Not that unusual, but exacerbated by shrinking access to adequate health care, education, and wages among other things. The punitive measures that follow desperation will, of course, be blamed upon the very victims that these situations engender. IOW, the usual ethos of having laws that bind some and protect others. Lather, rinse, repeat. Why would any female or those that care about females in their family/friend group with the means to escape wish to remain? It's not like the drive to remove the ability for women to have agency is going to improve....

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've commented upon this before but once again--the taxpayers of this state subsidized my childrens' education and they have decided that opportunities and a healthier future lie outside of its confines. Despite being recruited to work and reside here, they said, "yeah, no" and are working and living elsewhere. Once we retire, we will likely go somewhere within easy travel to wherever they are but it's not likely to be here. Investment in people yields dividends that are difficult but not impossible to be enumerated with a dollar value but I'd say that Abbott's (and the GOP's) short term thinking will ultimately end up with a state where the uppermost classes may have the usual gripes but for everyone else, life will be a struggle for resources. Not that unusual, but exacerbated by shrinking access to adequate health care, education, and wages among other things. The punitive measures that follow desperation will, of course, be blamed upon the very victims that these situations engender. IOW, the usual ethos of having laws that bind some and protect others. Lather, rinse, repeat. Why would any female or those that care about females in their family/friend group with the means to escape wish to remain? It's not like the drive to remove the ability for women to have agency is going to improve....

my career is heavily tied to the coast, from corpus to new orleans or else id be out of here 

On 12/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, YGIFS said:

About as well as your bumper sticker program?  ;)  

You are right though, there are really no adults at the helm anymore.  I don't know what the fuck happened, but my children are going to pay a price because Abbott is upset with his station(ary) in life, Paxton's worldview is bent, and Dan patrick feels like a taller, less funny, more lesbian-dressed version of Patton Oswalt.  And the three of them are gonna take it out on young Texas women.  

And it's all being financed by a few West Texas billionaires because the supreme court gave them cart blanche to buy politicians. Dan Patrick got THREE MILLION DOLLARS from a pro-Paxton group in June as he was presiding over Paxton's trial. It's naked corruption.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a feature of today's GQP.

If I had Soros money, I'd be pushing the GQP to keep doing shit like going after abortion and riling a lot of women up.  They will make a difference in 2024 (just as they probably did in 2020).

What I want to know is why did the hospital call the law? Isn't that a HIPAA violation? What, a nurse calls the cops and says "we got a miscarriage you should search her toilet?" How does that happen?

• Rage+1 4

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What I want to know is why did the hospital call the law? Isn't that a HIPAA violation? What, a nurse calls the cops and says "we got a miscarriage you should search her toilet?" How does that happen?

When the patient is female, there is no such thing as a HIPAA violation. GOP gendarme out front should have told you.

W/O going back and rereading the article, I think she was charged with abuse of a corpse? Perhaps the hospital called because of the various laws that have been enacted to pursue criminal charges surrounding females and abortions/fetuses/etc and hospitals are very risk averse to things of that sort wouldn't you say? Better to deflect any potential damages criminal or financial onto the victim. (which in this case was not the fetus unless you count the hospital sending the patient womb host home multiple times)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When the patient is female, there is no such thing as a HIPAA violation. GOP gendarme out front should have told you.

W/O going back and rereading the article, I think she was charged with abuse of a corpse? Perhaps the hospital called because of the various laws that have been enacted to pursue criminal charges surrounding females and abortions/fetuses/etc and hospitals are very risk averse to things of that sort wouldn't you say? Better to deflect any potential damages criminal or financial onto the victim. (which in this case was not the fetus unless you count the hospital sending the patient womb host home multiple times)

• Rage+1 5

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

My convictions were forged in the crucibles?

you know some hateful shit was going to follow that  

And who talks like that? I don’t know anyone who talks like that  I guess they don’t run in my circles  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

My convictions were forged in the crucibles?

you know some hateful shit was going to follow that  

And who talks like that? I don’t know anyone who talks like that  I guess they don’t run in my circles  

Did he steal his campaign slogan from Wheeler's book?  

Dammit Bob, another IP lawsuit on the way...

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Did he steal his campaign slogan from Wheeler's book?  

Dammit Bob, another IP lawsuit on the way...

Go back further to the subject of the Arthur Miller play with a similar title--perhaps Justice Devine identifies as a prosecutor from the Salem Witch trials of the 1700s and the forging he is talking about is his imagining all us shameful sinful wommens burning burning burning. Devine gotta blame them women for the forging of his convictions (I state it that way because doesn't it seem as if he would have no moral standing or convictions whatsoever if it were not for women and their reproductive freedom and choices? Weird weird man)

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  See how some of our resident GQPers talk about the women in this site.  Look at how certain GQP Presidential candidates (looking at you Vivek) blame single women for economic woes.  There is a deep seated hatred of women, especially strong independent women, by a lot of men in this country.

It just becomes more obvious over time. Someone broke their heart or didn't fuck them as if that's their unique experience, they discover a community from Population Everyone but specified to their particular version that's prone to sweeping generalizations that they then extract "oh! Here's the problem!" instead of the truth. Life is suffering and suffering isn't evidence of an injustice perpetuated upon you.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/25/2023 at 6:26 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  See how some of our resident GQPers talk about the women in this site.  Look at how certain GQP Presidential candidates (looking at you Vivek) blame single women for economic woes.  There is a deep seated hatred of women, especially strong independent women, by a lot of men in this country.

Flash:  they hate everyone, and they hate themselves.   This is why they come across as perpetually twisted/mad bro.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, YGIFS said:

Why is it that the men demanding the most draconian of abortion laws always seem to be the guy least likely to be able to get laid in the first place?  

You, my friend, have blessedly not been inducted into Incel Theory. Because so, so much of this is all about dudes getting themselves laid.

See, these dudes view women’s control over reproduction as the cog that leads to a breakdown of society (defined as men not getting laid). Per incel theory, birth control and anti-virals allow women to have sex with who they want without concern that they will be forced to carry a child to term and take care of it (and worry about STDs). And so, per incel theory,  young women flock to have sex with the top few percentile of men and don’t sex up all the nice guys who would be good husbands. And then, after they had their fun and they get older, they look for a beta to marry and maybe have one kid with. 

How to fix this? Well, first you make it so that any sex act may lead (for women) to life-altering consequences. Next, you cut sex ed and make sex terrifying and also make basic health care inaccessible.

And now it’s fixed! All those women can either live celibate and alone forever, or they can get with the program and get assigned their husband early if they want any sort of companionship and intimacy. Win for society (society, here, is dudes getting laid). 

All perfectly rational here except it’s the thought process of incel weirdos who think they are owed sex.  

But the kernel of truth is that women’s autonomy hinges on birth control and reproductive health. Which is what these people want to go away. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

But the kernel of truth is that women’s autonomy hinges on birth control and reproductive health. Which is what these people want to go away. 

And frankly, it's what those whores deserve, what with them having vaginas and all.

My father used to frequently explain to me, in my youth on Wednesdays and alternating weekends, that most people don't realize how much of the world's ills aren't to blame on religion, or politics, or race, nor creed...but the underlying cause is people's low self-esteem.  And those other "factions" or "causes" or "biases" are just something on which they lash out because of their frustration of themselves.  Now, ironically my parents did a pretty good job whipping the self-esteem out of me.  But they at least taught me critical thinking so that I could be skeptical and see the world for what it really was.  

I naively thought for decades that abortion and reproductive rights were about the bible or "coming from a good family."  It's shit, it's all bullshit.  It's about men who don't feel good about themselves trying to make women they can't have feel even worse.  And honestly, if I didn't have two daughters, I wouldn't even bother giving a fuck anymore.  But I gotta keep at it because yeah, admittedly, I don't want them growing up sexually active, posting risque dances on tick-tok, but I'm tired of people waking up trying to find ways to make them feel ashamed about being girls.  And I've said it before, and you know Lobo-he'll beat a dead horse...what blows me away way more than men with low self-esteem is how much pain and misery Texas women are visiting upon other Texas women.  I don't know that it's "well, I was raised to be more proper...abortion was never even discussed at my father's dinner table" or shame because they led a quietly active sex life or got an abortion on the down-low or what the fuck it is.  I am not taking any blame away from men in this state who aren't men, but rather cowards.  But there needs to be a serious intra-gender introspection by females and right fucking quick.  Because they are being beyond the pale to one another right now and there's really no explanation as to why from either side.  I don't fucking get it.  somebody please 'splain...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's about men who don't feel good about themselves trying to make women they can't have feel even worse.

I get what you're saying about women, but I had to quote the above for MF truth.  That's the foundation of all of it.  Sure, there's some percentage of the anti-abortion crowd that came to their conclusions by honest means....but when you keep going, looking at the people who sold them the message, it all comes back to the bolded quote.

Men will do unspeakably stupid shit to get pussy.

Men will do unspeakably cruel shit if they're frustrated by not getting any pussy.

Men should get a handle on themselves [Brisket, posting from inside a glass house, winding up to throw this really cool stone...]

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

My father used to frequently explain to me, in my youth on Wednesdays and alternating weekends, that most people don't realize how much of the world's ills aren't to blame on religion, or politics, or race, nor creed...but the underlying cause is people's low self-esteem.

...and crucial to manipulating people via low self-esteem is indoctrinating them into a value system that prioritizes winning, getting what they want, and status seeking over just being a decent human being and the golden rule. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

...and crucial to manipulating people via low self-esteem is indoctrinating them into a value system that prioritizes winning, getting what they want, and status seeking over just being a decent human being and the golden rule. 

Yep, the incredibly powerful drive to sort and classify ourselves into the most superior group, usually by dehumanizing others rather than edifying ourselves.

Edited by TeeDubya