• Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree.

But taking a job that requires you to face your old job every single year is different, and you know that.  I'm not calling him a shit bag, or insinuating anything, but if you don't think the ISU fanbase would be absolutely livid at him for taking another conference job, you're nuts.  It would be an absolute fever pitch of rage if he's wearing burnt orange at Jack Trice this fall.  That's human nature.

If he goes to Michigan?  That's 100% different.

If it makes you feel any better I don't want him wearing burnt orange on our sidelines.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree.

But taking a job that requires you to face your old job every single year is different, and you know that.  I'm not calling him a shit bag, or insinuating anything, but if you don't think the ISU fanbase would be absolutely livid at him for taking another conference job, you're nuts.  It would be an absolute fever pitch of rage if he's wearing burnt orange at Jack Trice this fall.  That's human nature.

If he goes to Michigan?  That's 100% different.

They'd be pissed but that's just the nature of the situation. I would be too in their shoes. It doesn't reflect on Campbell though.

Edited by Bevo14

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think we'll keep Campbell for the rest of his career.  I've been pretty unequivocal about that.

But I don't think he's just going to drop his jaw to the floor for the Bevo dong the way I assume most Texas fans think anyone approached about the job would.  The Michigan/ND/Ohio State trio all seem like jobs he'd absolutely take, as well as any good NFL job.  

I feel like, given the actual candidates we're now talking about, we've moved well past that.

39 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

If Texas were to offer Campbell everything he asks for i.e. money, assistant salaries, control, facilities. What % would you put on him accepting it?

I'd give it about the same % as him being what we would consider successful here if he did accept it...pretty low.

Just doesn't feel like the right fit.  We need a CEO, not a player's coach.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

What are you talking about? The only thing ctj said unequivocally is that Campbell wouldn't just immediately say "not interested" and hang up. You're being weirdly defensive about this. 

Nobody is saying we call and he runs to Austin before we even talk terms. 

It was in response to the assertion that I think we'll keep Campbell.

I'm also just starting to get really antsy about how we can't just fucking enjoy the one good season we've ever fucking had without some god damn Sword of Damocles hanging over our heads.  Which isn't anyone in this thread's fault, and I'm admittedly getting a little surly (yes, I see what I did there) about it.

Deep down, I'm bracing to have to watch him on the sidelines in Ames next fall wearing burnt orange.  Because the other shoe always drops in Ames.  Always.  And that will fucking suck. 

I know we can't compete financially and have to cling to the hope that maybe he just likes what he's doing.  He's given lots of reasons for us to think that, but so did every one who jilted us before. 

I'll stop polluting the thread with my beaten dog syndrome.  It's going to suck for all of us when 4 years from now you guys are firing Campbell and our program is back to the historical mean.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm also just starting to get really antsy about how we can't just fucking enjoy the one good season we've ever fucking had without some god damn Sword of Damocles hanging over our heads.  Which isn't anyone in this thread's fault, and I'm admittedly getting a little surly (yes, I see what I did there) about it.

Deep down, I'm bracing to have to watch him on the sidelines in Ames next fall wearing burnt orange.  Because the other shoe always drops in Ames.  Always.  And that will fucking suck. 

I know we can't compete financially and have to cling to the hope that maybe he just likes what he's doing.  He's given lots of reasons for us to think that, but so did every one who jilted us before. 

I'll stop polluting the thread with my beaten dog syndrome.  It's going to suck for all of us when 4 years from now you guys are firing Campbell and our program is back to the historical mean.

Not to go way off target in this thread - but when/if Campbell leaves - is the expectation that Heacock would take the Head job at Iowa St - or do you think they'd try to hire another Campbell (younger guy with success at a smaller program)?

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sorry dude. That situation sucks. He's your homegrown guy and just the nature of the beast is that he'll eventually move on to bigger and better paychecks. I imagne knowing that is a bummer. Enjoy the run this year, pretty much every person on this board except for @ChiTownDoc will be rooting for you guys. Go win the conference.

Edited by BradInATX

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sorry dude. That situation sucks. He's your homegrown guy and just the nature of the beast is that he'll eventually move on to bigger and better paychecks. I imagne knowing that is a bummer. Enjoy the run this year, pretty much every person on this board except for @ChiTownDoc will be rooting for you guys. Go win the conference.

I may not root for them but I’d be totally ok with a loss.  ISU fans are the greatest and some of my best friends are ISU grads.  They deserve it.  

CDC is a good AD but at a school like Texas you don’t get crowned being good by amping up the atmosphere or getting better women’s softball/basketball coaches. It literally revolves around the success of his decisions for the football program and right now it’s not liking to hot. 

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And we all expect him to move on.  Always have.  It would just really, really, really, really suck for him to move to a job that has him on the schedule annually.  Campbell to Texas is a (much) tougher pill to swallow than Campbell to Ohio State.  It's like the hottest, coolest chick you ever dated dumping you for your brother because he's richer, and then having to sit across the table from them every fucking Christmas for the rest of your damn life.  You always knew she was out of your league, but you figured if she dumps you, she's going to move to the next town over and you won't cross paths much, if at all.  Nope.  She's passing the turkey to grandma.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Justin Wells on The Horn...

Believes Urban is still in Play

Traylor should get the shot if Urban doesn't pan out.

What happens on Surly influences the world...

I’m sure the fact that IT has a relationship with Traylor and that he has been a source of information for them has nothing to with their belief that he should be the next head coach. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Justin Wells on The Horn...

Believes Urban is still in Play

Traylor should get the shot if Urban doesn't pan out.

What happens on Surly influences the world...

Man, they are pushing the fuck out of Traylor.  Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't but that is certainly a risky hire.  Did Wells say why he thinks Urban is in play?

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Wrong.

Herman's agent went over CDC's head and got the president of the University to agree to an extension that CDC didn't want.

Get your facts straight, and your opinions will suck less.

If this is true, CDC should have quit on the spot. 

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not to go way off target in this thread - but when/if Campbell leaves - is the expectation that Heacock would take the Head job at Iowa St - or do you think they'd try to hire another Campbell (younger guy with success at a smaller program)?

If Campbell leaves without Heacock, I'd be stunned.  Heacock is a bit older, and I almost get the impression he's not interested in being an HC again (he was the Youngstown State HC for most of the aughts), or being someone else's DC for that matter.  I would be very cool with Heacock being the HC as long as a bunch of the current staff stayed with him and took promotions.

My realistic list would be guys like Phillip Montgomery, Jamey Chadwell, Billy Napier.  Proven HCs under 50 who are having success in smaller conferences.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Deep breaths there big guy.

I've never said Campbell wouldn't listen to Texas.  I've said I don't think he'd take the job at the end of the day for a myriad of reasons (and that Texas wouldn't be much better off with him), but you're going to fucking listen to anyone that can offer you unlimited funds and has a glut of in-state talent.  Matt Campbell will listen to Texas.  Urban Meyer listened to Texas.  Almost any coach Texas approaches is going to listen.

You're displaying the exact kind of textbook Texas arrogance that turns people off and would make someone think twice about this job. 

Oh, and you aren't going to hear shit from Matt Campbell's agent.  He doesn't have one.

I don't need to be educated about your views on Matt Campbell. I've read you responding to the Matt Campbell Might Go Somewhere Else dogwhistle across two sites. It's wishcasting and I don't blame ISU people for doing it. 

Regarding "displaying textbook Texas arrogance that turns people off and would make someone think twice about this job":

a) That stereotype is there irrespective. Fuck, it was there in the 80's in Johnny B Goode. Spare me the admonition.

b) Be a little more discerning about how you sling that accusation out there regarding posters on this board. Feel free to highlight what I typed that was "textbook arrogance" or go ahead and be a big boy and retract that silly fingerpointing. I didn't make any claims that Texas was entitled to a thing, and I didn't declare that Campbell, or anyone else, was coming here. I did spell out some guys who aren't coming here, for obvious reasons to anyone paying attention. 

c) If I was being arrogant, I don't give one shit about what some other program or group of fans think about it. Texas is roundly hyperbolized and disliked regarding that kind of thing and it's tired and incorrect. Coming from fans of ISU, fuck yourself. We can be downright arrogant about you guys. You have a P5 conference to claim as home because we held the fucking thing together while ATM and Nebraska bailed for selfish purposes and crafted the "mean, arrogant Texas narrative" to suit their moves on the way out.

d) No coach on this planet will turn down the Texas job or any other because their message board posters are "arrogant." Right.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Man, they are pushing the fuck out of Traylor.  Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't but that is certainly a risky hire.  Did Wells say why he thinks Urban is in play?

Nothing that hasn't already been speculated here.  Herman has to be let go first, probably after ESD.  Tiny chance of him being retained.  In the meantime, CDC pursues Meyer.  We are on Meyers timeline.

Wells also said, Traylor could be the guy now and the guy 5 years from now.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't need to be educated about your views on Matt Campbell. I've read you responding to the Matt Campbell Might Go Somewhere Else dogwhistle across two sites. It's wishcasting and I don't blame ISU people for doing it. 

Regarding "displaying textbook Texas arrogance that turns people off and would make someone think twice about this job":

a) That stereotype is there irrespective. Fuck, it was there in the 80's in Johnny B Goode. Spare me the admonition.

b) Be a little more discerning about how you sling that accusation out there regarding posters on this board. Feel free to highlight what I typed that was "textbook arrogance" or go ahead and be a big boy and retract that silly fingerpointing. I didn't make any claims that Texas was entitled to a thing, and I didn't declare that Campbell, or anyone else, was coming here. I did spell out some guys who aren't coming here, for obvious reasons to anyone paying attention. 

c) If I was being arrogant, I don't give one shit about what some other program or group of fans think about it. Texas is roundly hyperbolized and disliked regarding that kind of thing and it's tired and incorrect. Coming from fans of ISU, fuck yourself. We can be downright arrogant about you guys. You have a P5 conference to claim as home because we held the fucking thing together while ATM and Nebraska bailed for selfish purposes and crafted the "mean, arrogant Texas narrative" to suit their moves on the way out.

d) No coach on this planet will turn down the Texas job or any other because their message board posters are "arrogant." Right.

Exactly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’d be cool with Tony Elliot but gotta bring in an ex-hc coordinator to assist with running the program at first. Also, I was listening to Chris Long’s podcast and a name that was thrown out was Brian Daboll as a coach that’s on the come up. Mainly nfl but solid resume.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You showed up to this thread and asked if Texas would be interested in pursuing a current NFL coach, in his first year on the job, with a $50million buyout. I'm calm as a bomb. You need to get your shit together if you want to be taken seriously on this board. Asking about Matt Rhule is a terrible take. 

people are just dumb as fucking rocks. that dude moreso than most.

8 minutes ago, Fug said:

I’d be cool with Tony Elliot but gotta bring in an ex-hc coordinator to assist with running the program at first. Also, I was listening to Chris Long’s podcast and a name that was thrown out was Brian Daboll as a coach that’s on the come up. Mainly nfl but solid resume.

Coaching history...

05Te54o8

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fug said:

My bad, I’ve been keeping my hopes up on the CUM thread, haven’t checked this one in a while 

I'm there with you. It is Urban and then a bunch of air and then every other candidate. Urban, though, is killing part of his appeal by letting our early signing targets go ahead and sign with other schools.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You showed up to this thread and asked if Texas would be interested in pursuing a current NFL coach, in his first year on the job, with a $50million buyout. I'm calm as a bomb. You need to get your shit together if you want to be taken seriously on this board. Asking about Matt Rhule is a terrible take. 

Forgive them GDGD, for they listened to the Blitz pod and heard Howe, Babers and the ever loving interruptor Matt go on a stroke fest of awe on one Matt Rhule.. with the classic "Make him say no.." line we hear during all coach searches.

38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And we all expect him to move on.  Always have.  It would just really, really, really, really suck for him to move to a job that has him on the schedule annually.  Campbell to Texas is a (much) tougher pill to swallow than Campbell to Ohio State.  It's like the hottest, coolest chick you ever dated dumping you for your brother because he's richer, and then having to sit across the table from them every fucking Christmas for the rest of your damn life.  You always knew she was out of your league, but you figured if she dumps you, she's going to move to the next town over and you won't cross paths much, if at all.  Nope.  She's passing the turkey to grandma.

oddly specific

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Campbell leaves without Heacock, I'd be stunned.  Heacock is a bit older, and I almost get the impression he's not interested in being an HC again (he was the Youngstown State HC for most of the aughts), or being someone else's DC for that matter.  I would be very cool with Heacock being the HC as long as a bunch of the current staff stayed with him and took promotions.

My realistic list would be guys like Phillip Montgomery, Jamey Chadwell, Billy Napier.  Proven HCs under 50 who are having success in smaller conferences.  

it's Al!  first i've seen you in awhile, guessing you've been consumed with the harvest.

first, congrats on your berth in the title game.

second, please do us all a favor and don't fuck up.

landthieves history in b12 title game:

W 2000

W 2002

L 2003 (to kstate)

W 2004

W 2006

W 2007

W 2008

W 2010

W 2017

W 2018

W 2019

? 2020

0u is 10-1 in the b12 title appearances heading in to this year's game.

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

it's Al!  first i've seen you in awhile, guessing you've been consumed with the harvest.

first, congrats on your berth in the title game.

second, please do us all a favor and don't fuck up.

landthieves history in b12 title game:

W 2000

W 2002

L 2003 (to kstate)

W 2004

W 2006

W 2007

W 2008

W 2010

W 2017

W 2018

W 2019

? 2020

0u is 10-1 in the b12 title appearances heading in to this year's game.

They're also 73-7-1 against us all time, or something like that.  History is not our friend.

I think we can beat 'em again though.  It's all house money at this point.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That was an example of why we are universally loathed. 

Yes. 

For the record, I don't loathe Texas at all.  I've always had good interactions with Texas fans online and in real life.  It was obvious to me that Nebraska, Aggy, and the other malcontents were a bigger problem in the 2010-11 realignment drama than Texas and OU, and they were wildly hypocritical in their accusations towards Texas.

But when people bitch about Texas, that's the exact kind of shit they're referencing.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Forgive them GDGD, for they listened to the Blitz pod and heard Howe, Babers and the ever loving interruptor Matt go on a stroke fest of awe on one Matt Rhule.. with the classic "Make him say no.." line we hear during all coach searches.

I already didn't listen to those guys but they are fucking idiots. Truly idiots.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So CDC is serious about one guy who has won 3 championships at two diff. schools; and another who has all of 1 year of coaching experience (at UTSA).

Glad he has a type.

Traylor (or another small school coach) makes a lot of sense if UT thinks outside the box and only provides a 3 year incentive-laden contract, particularly if he keeps a lot of Herman's assistants since Traylor does not have a ton of eperience with other highly thought of assistants. We need a sellable plan to the BMDs that we can buy out Herman and his assistants, yet not cost much more than if we kept Herman. Herman has $18.75mn left for the final 3 years of his deal and a $15mn buyout. If you only guaranteed Traylor $4.5mn over 3 years, you are risking $750k more than if we kept Herman, but you get rid of the smug, asshole Herman! 

Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $1.5mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $1.5mn bonus if you beat OU, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $4.5mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $13mn and should make at least $5mn (win 10 games and beat OU or win conference).  We can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer EVERYTHING we offered Meyer like $3mn for assistants, complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward, etc. That way we have some institutional deniability and reason to fire with cause yet provide CDC and Hartzell some cover should the new assistant AD/new coach get caught stretching the limits by a completely neutered NCAA (i.e. we won't be punished by the NCAA bc we will be doing what every $EC school does)

Coaches like Jamey Chadwell (who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and who makes just $375,000), Jeff Traylor (who makes a base of $800k at UTSA), or Bill Napier (who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette) would totally jump at this contract offer! They would just want the chance to be the UT coach, much less double or more their base salary and have a potential to make $5mn+ just for meeting expectations and up to $13mn in a year.

Of course, this is too logical and if we hired Traylor it would be for 5 years and $25mn guaranteed and we will likely be back to begging donors for a $25mn buyout and publicly failing in trying to offer Dabo $100mn  over 5 years and he turns us down, then we hire another G5 coach to fire 3 years later, rinse and repeat.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

Traylor (or another small school coach) makes a lot of sense if UT thinks outside the box and only provides a 3 year incentive-laden contract, particularly if he keeps a lot of Herman's assistants since Traylor does not have a ton of eperience with other highly thought of assistants. We need a sellable plan to the BMDs that we can buy out Herman and his assistants, yet not cost much more than if we kept Herman. Herman has $18.75mn left for the final 3 years of his deal and a $15mn buyout. If you only guaranteed Traylor $4.5mn over 3 years, you are risking $750k more than if we kept Herman, but you get rid of the smug, asshole Herman! 

Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $1.5mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $1.5mn bonus if you beat OU, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $4.5mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $13mn and should make at least $5mn (win 10 games and beat OU or win conference).  We can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer EVERYTHING we offered Meyer like $3mn for assistants, complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward, etc. That way we have some institutional deniability and reason to fire with cause yet provide CDC and Hartzell some cover should the new assistant AD/new coach get caught stretching the limits by a completely neutered NCAA (i.e. we won't be punished by the NCAA bc we will be doing what every $EC school does)

Coaches like Jamey Chadwell (who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and who makes just $375,000), Jeff Traylor (who makes a base of $800k at UTSA), or Bill Napier (who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette) would totally jump at this contract offer! They would just want the chance to be the UT coach, much less double or more their base salary and have a potential to make $5mn+ just for meeting expectations and up to $13mn in a year.

Of course, this is too logical and if we hired Traylor it would be for 5 years and $25mn guaranteed and we will likely be back to begging donors for a $25mn buyout and publicly failing in trying to offer Dabo $100mn  over 5 years and he turns us down, then we hire another G5 coach to fire 3 years later, rinse and repeat.

This wasn’t realistic the first time you posted it. Ten times later it hasn’t gotten any better.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Josh Pate at 247 said that he thinks Auburn is keeping Gus despite being on the hot seat. That and Harbaugh potentially staying put makes us the only job worth a lick that is going to be open this year and these are the best names we can come up with? Outside of Mullen and Campbell none of the other big time programs would touch any of these candidates.