This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold.

South Austin

• 6 years later...

It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. It’s an excimer frozen in its excited state, a chemical laser but in solid, not gaseous form. As soon as we apply a field, we couple to a state that is radiatively coupled to the ground state. I figure we can extract at least ten to the twenty-first photons per cubic centimeter which will give one kilojoule per cubic centimeter at six hundred nanometers, or, one megajoule per liter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix. It’s an excimer frozen in its excited state, a chemical laser but in solid, not gaseous form. As soon as we apply a field, we couple to a state that is radiatively coupled to the ground state. I figure we can extract at least ten to the twenty-first photons per cubic centimeter which will give one kilojoule per cubic centimeter at six hundred nanometers, or, one megajoule per liter.

That’s hotter than the sun!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

When they're about to take the final and Ken announces he's going to the bathroom and Val Kilmer says something like "That's not going to do much for your confidence, Ken."

I use that one all the time when opposing counsel has to take a leak before the hearing

Kent. With a t. 

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Would you be prepared if gravity suddenly reversed itself? If only I could figure out how to keep the change in my pockets...

I've got it: Nudity.

It’s heading for the gas tanks!  Duck!

• Hook 'Em 2

I never sleep, I don't know why, I had a roommate and I drove her nuts, I mean really nuts, they had to take her away in an ambulance and everything, but she's okay now, but she had to transfer to an easier school, but I don't know if that had anything to do with being my fault, but listen, if you ever need to talk or you need help studying just let me know, 'cause I'm just a couple doors down from you guys and I never sleep, okay?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

When they're about to take the final and Ken announces he's going to the bathroom and Val Kilmer says something like "That's not going to do much for your confidence, Ken."

I use that one all the time when opposing counsel has to take a leak before the hearing

Who the fuck is Ken?  

Kent, you know you're not supposed to park that on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

digging into reviews, it seems that contemporary Top Critics (outside of Ebert and Variety) were pretty bored with it (tbf it was released at the time when "science teen comedy" was a genre with titles like My Science Project and Weird Science going on) but later reviewers are overwhelmingly positive. Apparently it aged a lot better than its contemporaries...

Edited by Rimbo

If your memory of Real Genius is that it's a great film or some cinematic achievement, you'll definitely be disappointed on a revisit, but it absolutely holds up as a funny 80's college campus comedy.

I think it's aged well because it's not very gimmicky and has legitimately good performances from Val Kilmer and William Atherton. Atherton was a legendary 80's wet blanket villain and his chemistry with Kilmer is hilarious to watch decades later. It's been said that Kilmer is a character actor stuck in a leading man's body, but he's genuinely great as the clear lead in Real Genius. Awesome 80's montage sequences too, including the Tears For Fears popcorn ending. 

Edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

i wonder if I should watch this movie again to determine if it's as good as I remember it, or if I should just let the memory stay good and not destroy it

It holds up. I just watched again last month. Double feature with Back to School. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

If your memory of Real Genius is that it's a great film or some cinematic achievement, you'll definitely be disappointed on a revisit, but it absolutely holds up as a funny 80's college campus comedy.

I think it's aged well because it's not very gimmicky and has legitimately good performances from Val Kilmer and William Atherton. Atherton was a legendary 80's wet blanket villain and his chemistry with Kilmer is hilarious to watch decades later. It's been said that Kilmer is a character actor stuck in a leading man's body, but he's genuinely great as the clear lead in Real Genius. Awesome 80's montage sequences too, including the Tears For Fears popcorn ending. 

Truth. And the characters they're playing are very real, and not dated tropes, which is something Ebert caught on to at the time. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" ended up being a timeless classic.

Reviews from the 21st century point out that Reagan-era militarism and academic ethical violations have aged well, too; the former has become clearer in hindsight, and the latter is, like the Tears for Fears song, timeless.

Disagree with your premise. It is a masterful comedy that mixed genres, captured the time period perfectly, and was ahead of its time. Its anti-militaristic message is about as good as it gets. A near perfect movie. Shit, even dorky lead Mitch was perfectly cast opposite scene-stealing Val Kilmer as Chris Knight.

Id put this up there with Dr Strangelove and Tropic Thunder as seminal comedic masterpieces.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

digging into reviews, it seems that contemporary Top Critics (outside of Ebert and Variety) were pretty bored with it (tbf it was released at the time when "science teen comedy" was a genre with titles like My Science Project and Weird Science going on) but later reviewers are overwhelmingly positive. Apparently it aged a lot better than its contemporaries...

It holds up and Ebert’s review is one of my favorites of his.  There’s a humanism to Ebert’s reviews that is lacking in many of his contemporaries and who get distracted by film making techniques or the rhetoric around the production.  

• Hook 'Em 1