Auburn fires Gus Malzahn

texifornia

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Continuing to go awesome:

Saw it reported by other twitters that both Napier and Clark pulled out because Auburn wanted to control staff hire - including keeping Steele on as DC.

I feel much better about UT's corching situation now. Thanks

• Hook 'Em 1

This search is getting pretty incredible. Why are all these candidates turning them down? I understand it's not Bama but I mean it's a huge step up from UAB, ULL, or a coordinator position

Maybe this is all a secret strategy to end up with Freeze and say they exhausted all other options lol

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As mentioned above, because they are apparently trying to control staff hires to the point that they want the new coach to keep Steele at DC.

While people around here whine all the time, what's happening at Auburn right now is a real clusterfuck. One faction was trying to basically perform a hostile takeover with Steele as head coach. The same Kevin Steele who is a laughingstock from his previous head coaching stop. Including the famous UNLV game. He was a new head coach, the team was coming off back-to-back 2-9 seasons, they had barely lost in overtime in their first game to a P5 team on the road at Boston College because their kicker missed an extra point. Coming off of all that losing and heartbreak all he had to do was kneel to give his team a win in their home opener. A 99-yard fumble return later they lost and went on to finish 1-10.

That is the guy that a booster group is trying to force into the head coach role. But another faction successfully campaigned to stop it. And so the apparent compromise now is that he has to stay as defensive coordinator. So what does that mean? It means the program is currently trying to hire head coaches while telling them that they have to keep that guy on as defensive coordinator, effectively asking them to knowingly sign up to be undermined for their entire tenure at Auburn.

That, my friends, is an actual shit show.

This goes back to what I said before.  Auburn is not that good of a job.  On paper it certainly is but their boosters make it very difficult.  My definition of a good job is, if it were open, who would be interested.  Auburn has been open multiple times (a problem in and of itself) and their coaches have been Tuberville, Chizik, Malzahn, and now whoever.  Aside from Tuberville at the time, not one of those would be taken seriously at another major football program.

I think Malzahn would be taken as a serious candidate at a lot of places. He was certainly a very hot name when he took over at Auburn although his reputation has taken a hit recently because of an apparent inability to adjust to defensive approaches.

I agree with your larger point about it being a tough job because of the environment, though.

Edited by Huckleberry

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As mentioned above, because they are apparently trying to control staff hires to the point that they want the new coach to keep Steele at DC.

While people around here whine all the time, what's happening at Auburn right now is a real clusterfuck. One faction was trying to basically perform a hostile takeover with Steele as head coach. The same Kevin Steele who is a laughingstock from his previous head coaching stop. Including the famous UNLV game. He was a new head coach, the team was coming off back-to-back 2-9 seasons, they had barely lost in overtime in their first game to a P5 team on the road at Boston College because their kicker missed an extra point. Coming off of all that losing and heartbreak all he had to do was kneel to give his team a win in their home opener. A 99-yard fumble return later they lost and went on to finish 1-10.

That is the guy that a booster group is trying to force into the head coach role. But another faction successfully campaigned to stop it. And so the apparent compromise now is that he has to stay as defensive coordinator. So what does that mean? It means the program is currently trying to hire head coaches while telling them that they have to keep that guy on as defensive coordinator, effectively asking them to knowingly sign up to be undermined for their entire tenure at Auburn.

yep.  the pictures Steele must have...

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bad language, but funny stuff from Auburn Fans 😂😂😂 

BILL CLARK TURNS DOWN AUBURN RANT.  (WARNING CRUDE LANGUAGE)

I find myself quite a bit removed from the people in this video.  I swear if I was forced to live in Alabama, it wouldn't be much more culturally alienating than living in Outer Mongolia.

Edited by Sbbruin

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I find myself quite a bit removed from the people in this video.  I swear if I was forced to live in Alabama, it wouldn't be much more culturally alienating than living in Outer Mongolia.

The crazy thing is, those two were quite a bit more articulate and thoughtful than most of the rest of the fans in that region.  They are the exception that proves your point.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This goes back to what I said before.  Auburn is not that good of a job.  On paper it certainly is but their boosters make it very difficult.  My definition of a good job is, if it were open, who would be interested.  Auburn has been open multiple times (a problem in and of itself) and their coaches have been Tuberville, Chizik, Malzahn, and now whoever.  Aside from Tuberville at the time, not one of those would be taken seriously at another major football program.

Auburn has a little brother syndrome that would make aggy blush.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As mentioned above, because they are apparently trying to control staff hires to the point that they want the new coach to keep Steele at DC.  While people around here whine all the time, what's happening at Auburn right now is a real clusterfuck. One faction was trying to basically perform a hostile takeover with Steele as head coach. The same Kevin Steele who is a laughingstock from his previous head coaching stop. Including the famous UNLV game. He was a new head coach, the team was coming off back-to-back 2-9 seasons, they had barely lost in overtime in their first game to a P5 team on the road at Boston College because their kicker missed an extra point. Coming off of all that losing and heartbreak all he had to do was kneel to give his team a win in their home opener. A 99-yard fumble return later they lost and went on to finish 1-10.  That is the guy that a booster group is trying to force into the head coach role. But another faction successfully campaigned to stop it. And so the apparent compromise now is that he has to stay as defensive coordinator. So what does that mean? It means the program is currently trying to hire head coaches while telling them that they have to keep that guy on as defensive coordinator, effectively asking them to knowingly sign up to be undermined for their entire tenure at Auburn.

Actual "Shit Show" alright..  😋

Solid info Huckleberry !!!

On 12/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Is Auburn really that good of a job?  I know they have facilities and a recruiting region and whatnot but it's been open multiple times and the best they've gotten are Chiz, Malzhan, and evidently Kevin Steele.  Those are awful and none of them would get a serious look at any other major program.

No. The expectations are unrealistic, the recruiting is hard because there's so much regional and in-state competition, the fanbase is retarded, and they have a perpetual little brother syndrome that cripples their decision making abilities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Malzahn would be taken as a serious candidate at a lot of places. He was certainly a very hot name when he took over at Auburn although his reputation has taken a hit recently because of an apparent inability to adjust to defensive approaches.

I agree with your larger point about it being a tough job because of the environment, though.

He was one of the first to really push HUNH and use long-abandoned running concepts in the spread framework. It was brilliant, devastating, and very hard to defend. And then everybody else started doing it. And that ate up a lot of his real estate, because his system thrived on the Nick Marshalls of the world: run-first QBs who were "okay" accurate, and didn't really need to make reads. Well, now everybody recruits those guys, and Malzahn really cannot develop, or even utilize, traditional QBs. I mean, Auburn was mediocre with Jarrett Stidham, who's probably going to start in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

On the bright side, if you sold your property and assets in Cali you could buy the whole damn state. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Alabama is a great place to live. Well, at least the area around Birmingham is a great place to live. I would not want to live in the Black Belt. 

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'd take Auburn over Tennessee in a heartbeat. Tennessee doesn't produce that much talent, and most of what it does comes out of Memphis, which is closer to about 1/3 of the other schools in the conference than it is to Knoxville. Hell, Appalachia itself doesn't produce much of anything, and so Tennessee has to go fighting for the scraps left behind by GA, the Alabama schools, and now Mack too.

Opposite here, even disregarding the Steele Mongolias.  Both TN and AU are "95% chance you're fired within 4 years" jobs, so I'd much rather earn millions biding time in the Smokey Mountains than sweating on the tornado plains of middle Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

He was one of the first to really push HUNH and use long-abandoned running concepts in the spread framework. It was brilliant, devastating, and very hard to defend. And then everybody else started doing it. And that ate up a lot of his real estate, because his system thrived on the Nick Marshalls of the world: run-first QBs who were "okay" accurate, and didn't really need to make reads. Well, now everybody recruits those guys, and Malzahn really cannot develop, or even utilize, traditional QBs. I mean, Auburn was mediocre with Jarrett Stidham, who's probably going to start in the NFL. 

As someone who watched him at Arky, this is accurate and his offense hasn't changed one bit since then.  All he ever did was run out of a spread formation and to your point, everyone is doing that now.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

As someone who watched him at Arky, this is accurate and his offense hasn't changed one bit since then.  All he ever did was run out of a spread formation and to your point, everyone is doing that now.

In a lot of ways, firing Malzahn made sense (in a whole lot more ways it didn't because now Auburn is embarrassing itself looking for a replacement). Malzahn had long since hit his ceiling, and was probably on the decline. Recruiting was going down, and his occasional rabbit out of a hat was not enough to compensate for 8-9 win seasons. 

There's no doubt he was a terror on game day. He was creative and courageous with his willingness to take risks to win big games. But while beating Alabama more than everybody else is an accomplishment, he had room to breathe on that. Winning by less than a TD occasionally meant that nobody really cared if you lost by 40 the next year or the year before. But after a while, those beatdowns add up in the L column and you end up with a lot of 8 win seasons with losses to shitty teams.

10 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Opposite here, even disregarding the Steele Mongolias.  Both TN and AU are "95% chance you're fired within 4 years" jobs, so I'd much rather earn millions biding time in the Smokey Mountains than sweating on the tornado plains of middle Alabama.

Knoxville is actually a decent town, I could force myself to live there for 4 years for a HC salary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Doubt he was ever seriously in play, but imagine trying to dictate Brent fucking Venables' defensive staff.

Isn’t there some dirt on Venebles? I seem to remember something about he planned on staying a coordinator to avoid any of that becoming public, or was that all bullshit?

11 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Isn’t there some dirt on Venebles? I seem to remember something about he planned on staying a coordinator to avoid any of that becoming public, or was that all bullshit?

He makes HC money at Clemson.  Why take a lateral or a downgrade on money to go to a rebuild?

Also, I think his son plays at Clemson or some such.

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

All this. And those 3 & outs that take 15 seconds off of the clock are brutal on defenses in the 4th quarter. He's a gimmick coach with a gimmick offense that would work great at AirForce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

All this. And those 3 & outs that take 15 seconds off of the clock are brutal on defenses in the 4th quarter. He's a gimmick coach with a gimmick offense that would work great at AirForce.

mike at Mississippi State will prove you wrong!!!

oh wait no he won't Mississippi State is in for a total shit show that will set them back a decade

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Stumbling into Freeze is better than settling for Kevin Steele... 

I wonder if Freeze was the play all along.  His baggage makes him a harder sell, but not after what appears to be a mess of a search that leads to them "stumbling" into what can be spun as a last resort.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm just outside Atlanta, so roughly midway between those schools. All else being equal, I'd much rather be in Knoxville than Auburn. But plenty of mouth breathers in each fan base.