If your boss announced they were retiring Dec 31, how would you feel?

If you found out today your boss was retiring Dec 31, how would you feel?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. If you found out your boss was retiring Dec 31, how would you feel?

• I hope a meteor hits that motherfucker today!
    • I wish that bitch would have retired last June! but don't wish her harm.
    • Doesn't matter. I have my work to do and he didn't really impact my job satisfaction
    • I am happy as hell for her, but it's going to suck without her around.
    • I feel like I am losing a best friend/ family member.

Had this happen recently and I am truly going to miss mine, even though we'll continue to be friends.  Was talking with some( nonwork) buddies and the reactions ran across the range of emotions.

How would you feel?

Too bad this was not from a couple of years ago.....I answered the poll as if it was for him.

That cocksucker (truly demeaning to other cocksuckers) was the biggest POS I have ever met in my life. He was finally forced to leave (gov. job and they let him burn his benefit time) and he went on his way. He left and went on to working for another agency within the area and I found out recently that they got tired of his shit in less than a year and told him to go or he would be let go. I know some will say to "forget and forgive", but I still find great joy in that fucker getting told to be gone,... TWICE.

.get out gtfo GIF by The Maury Show

48 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Too bad this was not from a couple of years ago.....I answered the poll as if it was for him.

That cocksucker (truly demeaning to other cocksuckers) was the biggest POS I have ever met in my life. He was finally forced to leave (gov. job and they let him burn his benefit time) and he went on his way. He left and went on to working for another agency within the area and I found out recently that they got tired of his shit in less than a year and told him to go or he would be let go. I know some will say to "forget and forgive", but I still find great joy in that fucker getting told to be gone,... TWICE.

.get out gtfo GIF by The Maury Show

tenor.gif

If they announced they were retiring, and only gave a 2 week heads up, that would be weird and I'd press-in on what's really going on.

I guess just depends on industry, how well they are liked internally or viewed as instrumental in the business, and I'm not saying do a Derek Jeter year-long demonstration for the guy, but come on a barely 2 week notice to retire doesn't pass the smell test.

Are they being pushed out? Did something happen with personal finances or health? Also (assuming it's a VP or higher) a 2 week heads up of retiring is strange and red flag, heck our VP retired recently and he had a 6 month farewell tour and it was a whole meal. 

I would be fucking ecstatic.  When my last boss retired, it was probably the saddest day I've ever had at work.  I was still bummed at the NYE party we went to that night.  My current one, it would probably be the happiest day I've ever had at work.

Edited by kevwun

I’m conflicted. My boss is a close friend.  But it’s time for him to retire, he has plenty of other interests and seems to enjoy the job less every day.

Selfishly though, if he leaves I probably do too because I am a difficult person to manage.  I know it from prior history and being told I’m kind of an asshole.

• Like 1

I don't think I've had a manager that I've been unable to work with and get along with reasonably well. I've liked some more than others, and there was one whose personality and persona rubbed me wrong, but not a problem to set that aside and develop a good working relationship.

I've spent the last several years at a large company that has not been doing well. Regardless of the performance of my team or my immediate org, there's been a ton of uncertainty and a lot of shifting landscape. And a lot of pressure to hit unhittable targets and do so while reducing costs and losing resources. When in... early 2020 or late 2019 my manager told me he was shifting to an architect (senior IC) role and my team was being rolled under a leader from a different group, my reaction was probably analogous to a player losing his coach. Losing the rapport, wiping the slate clean, entering a probationary period where I'm going to have to start over demonstrating my value (and my team's value), and potentially this is a harbinger for the end of my group regardless. Which it was and now I'm in a different place and it's fine. But if my new boss said he was out, I'd reach out to the next one and start figuring out his/her goals, but would also flip the recruiter switch on LinkedIn and get into uncertainty mode.

I have admittedly plotted my career path to avoid shithead leaders/ managers that I would stuff in a dumpster.

I’m alos at a tenure/ time of service right now, with a knack for obtaining protective documentation that they don’t want to fuck with me.  They also don’t want to fuck my people.

My bosses who have retired are beloved and respected. I just lost the best leader I’ve ever had in my life, between sports growing up, the Marine Corps, and 2 and a half decades with one company.  That discussion with my friends is what precipitated the thread/ poll.  I find the answers fascinating.

My current boss is not retiring but is being promoted (rightly so) and I will be reporting to someone new in 2021. Bummed because he has been one of the best managers I've worked with in my career. He has had to deal with a lot: first year in new company, new service line, Covid craziness, and because my direct manager at the time died from a massive heart attack back in Jan which we never backfilled. So lots of scrambling throughout the year as we figured out each other's work style. So waiting to see the announcement for his replacement which will be my 6th mgr in the past 5 years. My crew is pretty self sufficient but its definitely wearing to have to engage with a brand new lead so often. By the time you get them up to speed on processes and issues they are on that revolving door.

What if you aren't exactly sure who your boss is really? I'm the top at this location, but I have 7 or 8 people at corporate that are technically higher up than I am and out of them I'm pretty sure 3 or 4 could outright fire me if they decided, but it's never been really discussed. I just play it nice with anyone who has C_O in their title just to be safe.

(and this isn't a humblebrag as I'm not even Surly 25%)

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've been going into work every other day since COVID started. Finally took my first vacation days in almost a year at the beginning of November. When I get back, my boss tells me "They want us back to coming in to work every day." 

"They haven't said anything to me, but whatever."

Fast forward a month, and I find out they wanted just him coming into the office every day. 

"Deej, I notice you've been coming into the office every day."

"Was I not supposed to?"

"You can scale it back, if you want."

Fucker. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Not my boss as of last year when I got a promotion but I still come in to his office since it is in my region. 

He is one of my best friends and could have retired 3 years ago and I think he should retire now but I will be sad to see him go because I always thought of him as a friend and not a boss. He trained me in 06 when I started and I stayed in touch with him when I left a year later and I came back the minute he became a district manager. He has always been on my side and he could have selfishly held me back from my current role but he recommended me and made his life harder losing me because he knew I was a good fit for the role. I was just thinking today that in the near future he won’t be calling me everyday to vent about lazy ass employees and I will miss that. I will never be as close to another boss like that again. 

For the past year and half, I’ve worked for someone a decade younger than me. He likes me and thinks my work is fantastic. I work maybe 5-10 hours a week on a busy week but he thinks I’m full utilized. I’m gonna ride this out as long as I can. 12 years until 60 and then I’m out of here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I work in state government. My boss starting working for the state the year before I was born. I am 47 years old. She doesn't know exactly what I do, nor how to do my job in the event that I wasn't around. She treats the women in our area with kid gloves and allows them to get away with murder. Meanwhile, my one other male co-worker and I are always treated with a sense of suspicion, like we're trying to get away with something. It's infuriating.

That being said, she isn't a raving asshole. Just ignorant and (IMO) a misandrist.  She doesn't micromanage and because of her ignorance, we can get things done without too much pushback. She just wants the credit, which I don't care about. I just want the proper results.

None of us believe she'll retire, she'll die in her office. But if she did retire, I wouldn't be sad or happy. I don't really care. 13 years till retirement, y'all.

• Like 1

For the past year and half, I’ve worked for someone a decade younger than me. He likes me and thinks my work is fantastic. I work maybe 5-10 hours a week on a busy week but he thinks I’m full utilized. I’m gonna ride this out as long as I can. 12 years until 60 and then I’m out of here.
This man knows how life is supposed to work.

My current boss is moving on in a month or so and I’ll miss him, although we worked together about four months. 

The one I had for the past year and a half before that was an utter train-wreck.  Arrived at an organization recognized as one of the best performing of its kind and immediately ran it into the ground with general diva behavior and a desire to make all 200 people conform completely to her and not give an inch the other way.

Also completely incompetent with information technology. At the height of the pandemic our location was in near total quarantine and lockdown by local regulation.  She had a car go back and forth between her home and her assistants home twice a day to bring out printed stacks of emails and attachments and then back with her handwritten notes and edits. Occasionally she would take a print out, make notes on it in cursive, then take a photo and text that photo to her subordinates as “feedback” or “edits.” She’s not quite 50 years old— young enough to know better.  

Edited by 956 Worldwide

My current boss is moving on in a month or so and I’ll miss him, although we worked together about four months. 
The one I had for the past year and a half before that was an utter train-wreck.  Arrived at an organization recognized as one of the best performing of its kind and immediately ran it into the ground with general diva behavior and a desire to make all 200 people conform completely to her and not give an inch the other way.
Also completely incompetent with information technology. At the height of the pandemic our location was in near total quarantine and lockdown by local regulation.  She had a car go back and forth between her home and her assistants home twice a day to bring out printed stacks of emails and attachments and then back with her handwritten notes and edits. Occasionally she would take a print out, make notes on it in cursive, then take a photo and text that photo to her subordinates as “feedback” or “edits.” She’s not quite 50 years old— young enough to know better.  

That’s pretty special. Did she cut and paste with glue and tape?
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Updawg said:

That’s pretty special. Did she cut and paste with glue and tape?

The IT stuff was a symptom of her broader refusal to adjust personal preferences and style at all to the world and other people, she had been a pretty brilliant individual performer when given room to work at her style/pace.

She also got frustrated and at a team leader meeting complained that we needed to appreciate the strengths of her “iterative decision making process.” Translation— don’t get frustrated when I change every decision 3 or 4 times and ask you to undo work.

And of course, the real root issue was our latent sexism and inability to accept a woman’s leadership. 

I work in state government. My boss starting working for the state the year before I was born. I am 47 years old. She doesn't know exactly what I do, nor how to do my job in the event that I wasn't around. She treats the women in our area with kid gloves and allows them to get away with murder. Meanwhile, my one other male co-worker and I are always treated with a sense of suspicion, like we're trying to get away with something. It's infuriating.
That being said, she isn't a raving asshole. Just ignorant and (IMO) a misandrist.  She doesn't micromanage and because of her ignorance, we can get things done without too much pushback. She just wants the credit, which I don't care about. I just want the proper results.
None of us believe she'll retire, she'll die in her office. But if she did retire, I wouldn't be sad or happy. I don't really care. 13 years till retirement, y'all.

Jesus I’m glad it’s not just me. This hit awfully close to home.