Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

I think 5 of the top 10 guys on 247s list from 2016 are already about to be 1st round picks. Maybe more.

We can do this dance a thousand times, but the recruiting rankings, while imperfect, are a good indicator of talent.  Using exceptions to disprove this misses the point.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What players did he recruit got bumped to 5 stars?  I don’t remember any of that.  At all.  And I followed shit pretty close ten years ago.  

Here's the 5 star recruits we got while Muschamp was here:

2008: none

2009: Garrett Gilbert - would've been offered by EVERYONE if it hadn't be so painfully obvious that he was a Texas lock; Mason Walters - Stanford, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, and probably quite a few others that weren't listed

2010: Jackson Jeffcoat - EVERYONE offered; Jordan Hicks - also offered by pretty much everyone. I guess 247 has Mike Davis (LSU, Stanford, OU, Notre Dame, Florida, Nebraska, etc.), Reggie Wilson (FSU, Nebraska, ND, OU, USC, etc.), and Darius White (basically the whole country) as composite 5 stars. 

2011 (since Muschamp did recruit a bunch of those guys before he left): Malcolm Brown - offered by the entire country.

So, sure thing, coach. What a bunch of obscure recruits that no one else was chasing... If his statement was accurate, guys like Patrick Nwkopara (who Muschamp handpicked, IIRC) wouldn't have stayed three stars. So I'm not really sure that Looch's dumbass argument is as unassailable as he seems to think. Quite the opposite, in fact. Not that this has ever stopped him from doubling down on stupid shit with no factual basis in the past, so...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

DzYe3L5VYAAFCAL.pngDzYe3mNUcAEdhGM.png

Honestly, this post made me go and watch a bunch of Demas footage online. I have to say, there is absolutely NOTHING that tells me he is going to be anything more than a good receiver at the next level. He has some really good ball skills and can go up and get balls, but I don't see anything that tells me he is a transcendent player.   

Demas is a really good wr, but those comparing him to Julio Jones need to drink bleach. He's nowhere near the level of Jones. And Evans will be a Horn at the end of the day. Tom is building a machine, and we're about to find out how great Texas can be with Texas + oos recruits can be. Buckle up, boys and girls. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Honestly, this post made me go and watch a bunch of Demas footage online. I have to say, there is absolutely NOTHING that tells me he is going to be anything more than a good receiver at the next level. He has some really good ball skills and can go up and get balls, but I don't see anything that tells me he is a transcendent player.   

Hopefully he switches to us so his 247 ranking will go back up. Being committed to aggy has dropped him a bit. He better not wait to long, he’s in danger of losing his fifth star. 

Edited by texaslong
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Dabo doesn't seem to really leave the FL, GA, Carolina area and he seems to avoid the larger national recruiting battles.

19 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We could consult @Doc Sam Beckett, but I’m pretty sure Clemson is going after Evans and is in the top group of teams for him. Then again, knowing Clemson, they’ll probably land some other 5 star RB and back off.

18 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Sure, but go look at Clemson's roster and compare it to Bama, UGA, and OSU and see the national vs regional recruiting, for example there is only 1 kid from Texas on Clemson's roster. Is Dabo recruiting Evans? Sure. They would be stupid not to, but like you said I don't think that Dabo is willing to go all the way to NSD for Evans I think he drops out early and gets another back before the season starts.

Dabo definitely has the strongest ties to the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. He will branch out anywhere, though. As mentioned, Carman was the #1 in Ohio, Wilkins was the #1 in Connecticut, and this last cycle Ngata was the #9 in California. 

Dabo has been trying to break into Texas for the last few years, but I think his recruiting style will prevent him from ever truly developing roots there. Dabo generally recruits a certain type of player who buys into his philosophy. He doesn't send out a ton of offers, doesn't do spring official visits for juniors, and genuine mutual interest is important before Clemson moves forward with a recruit. That doesn't work well in Texas right now with Baggins doing his shady shit, and UT being back and flexing across the state. 

I know this cycle, Clemson is after Thompson, Mickens, and Evans. In regards to Evans, I think Clemson is still in the feeling out process. They're going to keep trying, but they have a better relationship with Demarkcus Bowman, and I think Jaylan Knighton would already be committed if they weren't making him wait to be 100% sure. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Demas is a really good wr, but those comparing him to Julio Jones need to drink bleach. He's nowhere near the level of Jones. And Evans will be a Horn at the end of the day. Tom is building a machine, and we're about to find out how great Texas can be with Texas + oos recruits can be. Buckle up, boys and girls. 

Well that settles it 

• Like 2

Demas is a stud. Lets not tilt toward sounding like the Aggy everyone loves to mock. 

I like Evans because he can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, where Demas will touch it 10-12. Id also caution people to stop thinking Evans is in the calculator because his brother hates aggy trolls. This has a long way to go and I doubt we are even a heavy favorite at this point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 6

Not playing Texas was the greatest thing to ever happen to Aggy. Now they can crow about whatever hypothetical dick measuring contest du jour they need to make them feel better, without ever being forced to face the reality of the scoreboard - conference affiliation, facilities, recruiting rankings, coaches salary, and now the relative value of a running back vs a wide receiver (in a "line of scrimmage league" no less). 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Demas is a stud. Lets not tilt toward sounding like the Aggy everyone wants to mock overe here.

I like Evans because he can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, where Demas will touch it 10-12. If also caution people to stop thinking Evans is in the calculator because his brother hates aggy trolls. This has a long way to go and I doubt we are even a heavy favorite at this point. 

There are too many formidable recruiting programs that have a legitimate shot with Evans for us to have too high of a percentage of landing him at this point. While I think we should be considered the favorite, the handicap is probably something like Texas 30%, Bama/Georgia/LSU at 20% a piece, and then the field (including A&M, Clemson, and OU) at 10%. As Evans starts to eliminate schools based on OVs, and as some of those schools start to land stud RBs instead of waiting on Evans, our odds should go up. He could also make a trip to A&M soon and have them back on equal footing with the other SEC schools. This should be a long recruitment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Demas is a stud. Lets not tilt toward sounding like the Aggy everyone loves to mock. 

I like Evans because he can touch the ball 20-30 times a game, where Demas will touch it 10-12. Id also caution people to stop thinking Evans is in the calculator because his brother hates aggy trolls. This has a long way to go and I doubt we are even a heavy favorite at this point. 

10-12 times?  You're being to generous for a WR in Jimbo's offense.  Maybe 5-6 range.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Agreed. But the aggy idea that a RB shouldn't ever be the #1 recruit and that Demas is better that him are both bullshit. As you say, an elite RB is more important than an elite WR just based on the number of touches. Perhaps Demas really is heads and shoulders above Evans, but I would think even the recruiting services could have already figured that out by now.

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Agreed. But the aggy idea that a RB shouldn't ever be the #1 recruit and that Demas is better that him are both bullshit. As you say, an elite RB is more important than an elite WR just based on the number of touches. Perhaps Demas really is heads and shoulders above Evans, but I would think even the recruiting services could have already figured that out by now.

Of course, their entire premise is stupid. There's a reason only 1 defensive player has ever won a Heisman, and that player also returned kicks and played some offense as well. It's QBs, Running Backs, and WR's in that order. But services dont rank that way at all, defensive players are the #1 recruit in the country all the time. The entire fucking notion that certain positions are more worthy of the #1 spot over others is a waste of fucking time, so I'm in no way surprised they're grasping at that straw while at the same time failing to understand that they're in no way conforming to the idea they're espousing. Of course they aren't, it's aTm. They'll bitch about Green being labeled as a guard versus a tackle because they're "less valuable" in the rankings system, but ignore the fact that an elite RB is going to impact the game more than an elite WR every day of the week. Cognitive dissonance is the most powerful force in the universe.

I just happen to think shitting all over Demas or downplaying his talent is the kind of bullshit that their fanbase does regularly and we ridicule them for over here. And for us to do it for a player that is anything but a slam dunk to pick UT seems especially dumb and short sighted. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course, their entire premise is stupid. There's a reason only 1 defensive player has ever won a Heisman, and that player also returned kicks and played some offense as well. It's QBs, Running Backs, and WR's in that order. But services dont rank that way at all, defensive players are the #1 recruit in the country all the time. The entire fucking notion that certain positions are more worthy of the #1 spot over others is a waste of fucking time, so I'm in no way surprised they're grasping at that straw while at the same time failing to understand that they're in no way conforming to the idea they're espousing. Of course they aren't, it's aTm. They'll bitch about Green being labeled as a guard versus a tackle because they're "less valuable" in the rankings system, but ignore the fact that an elite RB is going to impact the game more than an elite WR every day of the week. Cognitive dissonance is the most powerful force in the universe.

I just happen to think shitting all over Demas or downplaying his talent is the kind of bullshit that their fanbase does regularly and we ridicule them for over here. And for us to do it for a player that is anything but a slam dunk to pick UT seems especially dumb and short sighted. 

The recruiting rankings generally try to match up to the NFL draft, in which case a QB should be the #1 recruit most years. I wouldn't use the shitty Heisman as a metric for anything, but they also choose QBs the most. QBs are the #1 draft pick probably more often than all other positions combined, at least over the past 30 years. DE and OT are the only other two positions drafted #1 going back to 1996. That year was the last time a WR was picked #1 (Keyshawn). The last RB picked #1 was Ki-Jana Carter the year before, so both positions have lost value, though RB easily outdistances WRs as #1 picks in overall history of #1 picks.

I honestly don't care if our fans want to downgrade aggy or OU or any other teams' recruits. We regularly call aggy classes mostly bread and while they play an easier schedule than we do, they have managed to avoid a losing season with all that bread. Deneric Prince is definitely less likely to ever make a play as a college player than Demas, but he could be their Donta Foreman and I could certainly see Demas flaming out like Darius White.

6 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I honestly don't care if our fans want to downgrade aggy or OU or any other teams' recruits. We regularly call aggy classes mostly bread and while they play an easier schedule than we do, they have managed to avoid a losing season with all that bread. Deneric Prince is definitely less likely to ever make a play as a college player than Demas, but he could be their Donta Foreman and I could certainly see Demas flaming out like Darius White.

I mean they went 8-5 with a low-variance schedule that made it hard to do much worse (or better) for like 4 straight years, and this past year was the first time in like 4 or 5 years they finished in the final AP top 25. That’s pretty much evidence for our bread comments considering their classes were consistently in the top 15 year in and year out.

sure, individual recruits may boom or bust, but talking down a guy who’s obviously extremely talented just because he’s committed to aggy or OU or whoever is dumb and should get some ridicule. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean they went 8-5 with a low-variance schedule that made it hard to do much worse (or better) for like 4 straight years, and this past year was the first time in like 4 or 5 years they finished in the final AP top 25. That’s pretty much evidence for our bread comments considering their classes were consistently in the top 15 year in and year out.

sure, individual recruits may boom or bust, but talking down a guy who’s obviously extremely talented just because he’s committed to aggy or OU or whoever is dumb and should get some ridicule. 

Low-variance schedules maybe, but at the same time we were lauding our classes, we were losing to Maryland, Kansas, Cal, Tech, and BYU. Those were all teams aggy would have beaten based on their performances over the past 5 seasons.

I am surprised Demas has such a fan club around here. We spent half of the last cycle shitting on own commit with a lot of the same issues as Demas and Shepard was actually less of an open drama queen and bitch as Demas has already been before his own recruiting class has even officially started. I rarely call out recruits to any team as I don't have an eye for separating the wheat from the chaff, but like Garrett Wilson last cycle, Demas can rightly fuck off for all I care.

• Like 3

Just now, rickyspub said:

Low-variance schedules maybe, but at the same time we were lauding our classes, we were losing to Maryland, Kansas, Cal, Tech, and BYU. Those were all teams aggy would have beaten based on their performances over the past 5 seasons.

I am surprised Demas has such a fan club around here. We spent half of the last cycle shitting on own commit with a lot of the same issues as Demas and Shepard was actually less of an open drama queen and bitch as Demas has already been before his own recruiting class has even officially started. I rarely call out recruits to any team as I don't have an eye for separating the wheat from the chaff, but like Garrett Wilson last cycle, Demas can rightly fuck off for all I care.

You need to separate shitting on his character vs. shitting on his talent. He's a flake and a qualification risk and a thin-skinned bitch for getting all upset about Sam taking some cracks at Aggy at a recruiting event. But the kid is a stud football player and to pretend that he's not is classic aggy head in the sand bullshit. We're better than that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You need to separate shitting on his character vs. shitting on his talent. He's a flake and a qualification risk and a thin-skinned bitch for getting all upset about Sam taking some cracks at Aggy at a recruiting event. But the kid is a stud football player and to pretend that he's not is classic aggy head in the sand bullshit. We're better than that. 

I am not seeing a lot of people shitting on his talent, unless you think saying he is less talented than Julio Jones or is less talented or less important than Evans is considered shitting on his talent. One guy looked at his film and didn't think he was a shoe in to be a great college player and people act like he jizzed in a jar and said, "Howdy". 

Just now, rickyspub said:

I am not seeing a lot of people shitting on his talent, unless you think saying he is less talented than Julio Jones or is less talented or less important than Evans is considered shitting on his talent. One guy looked at his film and didn't think he was a shoe in to be a great college player and people act like he jizzed in a jar and said, "Howdy". 

"Honestly, this post made me go and watch a bunch of Demas footage online. I have to say, there is absolutely NOTHING that tells me he is going to be anything more than a good receiver at the next level. He has some really good ball skills and can go up and get balls, but I don't see anything that tells me he is a transcendent player.   "

25 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

we were losing to Maryland, Kansas, Cal, Tech, and BYU. Those were all teams aggy would have beaten based on their performances over the past 5 seasons.

I don't agree with that. Why are you hypothetically giving them the benefit of the doubt when they lost games like Wake Forest, UCLA, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State in 16? Kansas, sure, it's beyond belief anyone loses to them ever, but the other four were simply P5 mediocre, meaning the exact kind of team you lose to if you don't show up and take things seriously.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

10-12 times?  You're being to generous for a WR in Jimbo's offense.  Maybe 5-6 range.

This is true. In his system, WRs don't see the field until they learn his overly complex route tree. Freshman WRs rarely see the field.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

"Honestly, this post made me go and watch a bunch of Demas footage online. I have to say, there is absolutely NOTHING that tells me he is going to be anything more than a good receiver at the next level. He has some really good ball skills and can go up and get balls, but I don't see anything that tells me he is a transcendent player.   "

And that is shitting on his talent? Honestly, even if he were a Julio Jones clone, there is probably only a tiny chance he would turn out to be the same transcendent player the original was.

I'm done. I'm not even sure why I am defending some other posters' rights to have a mild, barely negative opinion on an aggy recruit. You all have turned into futureman and have decided Demas is better than Julio Jones and Jerry Rice, and saying he may not be a great player based on his highlights is obviously akin to raping sheep and paying for Hamm's Facebook abortion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't agree with that. Why are you hypothetically giving them the benefit of the doubt when they lost games like Wake Forest, UCLA, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State in 16? Kansas, sure, it's beyond belief anyone loses to them ever, but the other four were simply P5 mediocre, meaning the exact kind of team you lose to if you don't show up and take things seriously.

It is because A&M dominated hypothetical games. Believe me if you had them hypothetically play Wake Forest they would have won easily.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know Evans is considered to be the top running back in this recruiting class. Is Demas considered the top wide receiver in this recruiting class?

247Sports has it as:

Julian Fleming Southern Columbia (Catawissa, PA) WR 6-3 / 210

Johnny Wilson Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) WR 6-6 / 220

A.J. Henning Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort, IL) WR 5-10 / 175

Marcus Rosemy St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL) WR 6-0.5 / 178

Demond Demas Tomball (Tomball, TX) WR 6-4 / 210