Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

I doubt anyone of you guys could write over 3,000 words analyzing the aggy offense in one game. 

Spoiler

Offense in Review: Texas A&M 31, Arkansas 27

By Billy Liucci

September 30, 2019

• If you would have told me that Kellen Mond would have been sacked four times and Arkansas dropped ball-carriers behind the line on eight occasions, the Aggies would manage just 340 yards of total offense (a mere 89 on the ground) and that A&M would turn the ball over twice, I would've been shocked had you followed that up by saying the Aggie offense produced 31 points. They did so without the benefit of a short field too. Without question, there were some positives to be found in the Ags' performance on offense – three 11-play scoring drives, a dagger of a TD in the final seconds before halftime, a clutch fourth-quarter field goal drive with the game's outcome hanging in the balance and a pair of 75-yard marches. 

However, the bottom line when evaluating the Aggie offense on Saturday against Arkansas is that A&M couldn't run the football, committed a pair of disastrous turnovers and were unable to put the Hogs away given multiple chances throughout the game. The Ags' struggles have to become even more of a concern when you consider the fact that they were unable to consistently move the football against an Arkansas defense that allowed over 30 points to Ole Miss, Colorado State and San Jose State (the Spartans also rang up over 500 yards) in September. For one stretch bridging the second and third quarters, the Ags came up empty on five of six possessions, producing more turnovers (2) than scoring drives (1) during that span.

• Two disastrous turnovers by the Aggie offense on Saturday led to at least a 10-point swing and might have led to a net gain of 14 for Arkansas. The first led directly to 7 Razorback points. Isaiah Spiller and Kellen Mond seemed to get their wires crossed on the backfield exchange, due in part to the fact that a free rusher flew into the backfield untouched. Spiller put the ball on the turf and Arkansas linebacker DeJon Harris scooped it up and scampered 6 yards into the end zone. How big a momentum-changer was the turnover? It occurred with the Ags up 14-3 just one play after Justin Madubuike picked off Nick Starkel in the end zone and ran over the Razorback starter, igniting the 12th Man and A&M sideline. The Aggie offense had produced touchdown drives on each of the two prior possessions, so marching right back down the field and pushing the lead to 17- or 21-3 didn't feel at all like a stretch. Instead, the quick-change score made it 14-10 and Arkansas took a 17-14 lead shortly thereafter. Later in the game, Mond threw an ill-advised end zone interception (more on that in a moment) that cost the Aggies at least a game-tying field goal and perhaps a touchdown. Two entirely preventable turnovers on downs that led to a two-score swing. The bottom line is that the Ags aren't good enough yet to give away any points in SEC play, much less as many as 14.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

The Aggies have struggled to both set up holes for the running game and protect Kellen Mond in the passing game.

• This week we'll start things off with the unit that continues to be, well, really 'off' with the Aggie offense. Blocking has been a season-long issue for Jimbo Fisher's group. Mond was hit more than anyone would be comfortable with during lopsided wins over Texas State and Lamar, and the Aggies did virtually nothing on the ground against Clemson and Auburn. Not being able to run and losing the battle in the trenches to the two Tigers was one thing, but surely the Ags would be able to get things on track against an Arkansas defense that saw Ole Miss run for more than 225 yards and Colorado State rip off nearly 250, with the Rams' starter going for 180 by himself.

After watching the A&M running game fail to get anything going against John Chavis' defense on Saturday, I think it's safe to say that the Ags' most pressing issue is to figure things out along the offensive line. Through three quarters, A&M tailbacks Isaiah Spiller and Jacob Kibodi had managed a net total of -1 yards on the ground, with all of the damage on the ground coming from Kellen Mond and an 18-yard reverse from Quartney Davis. The Ags ended the game with 89 rushing yards, an average of 2.7 per tote – a bit of a misleading number when you consider the tailback position produced 38 yards on 16 attempts.

Having two inexperienced backs on the field doesn't help matters, but considering how much backfield penetration we've seen in the Ags' three games versus Power Five opposition, it would be pretty tough for even a proven veteran to run into the traffic Spiller, Kibodi and Mond are seeing. There’s been far too many unblocked defenders and clear paths to the backfield for a unit that features three upperclassmen in year two as starters, a senior at center who has started at least a full season's worth of games, and (at times) a junior right guard who started the second half of last season. Kenyon Green is starting as a true freshman at guard, but the dude has flashed an elite-level skillset, and many a true freshman OL has managed to not only get the job done but stand out in this league since I began covering it in 2012.

The Aggies simply aren't getting the job done up front, and as I said in this week's Cover Story, we're talking about an unacceptable lack of production that is essentially choking off every aspect of the A&M offense. Mond is landing in far too many third-and-longs, possessions tend to bog down as Fisher continues to hammer away at developing a competent ground game (knowing the Ags aren't going to be able to consistently move the ball without it) and the quarterback either doesn't have time to throw or is anticipating pressure even when it's not there. The Ags’ inability to establish anything on the ground is also leading to stretches of quick possessions that are forcing more snaps out of the Aggie defense. Add it all up and what do you get? The system that worked so well for the A&M offense last fall is broken, and it starts with the front five plus tight ends and even the blocking backs. 

With two weeks between games, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least see a slight shake-up in the trenches.

Without a significant improvement in that department, the Ags' offensive prospects look bleak. That's why, with two weeks between games, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least see a slight shake-up in the trenches. There aren’t many options, but Kenyon Green has struggled at guard and is probably the team's most gifted tackle, and it's not like the Ags are getting dominant efforts from either Dan Moore (who might be a guard at the next level) or Carson Green on the edges. There's also Ryan McCollum. We saw a lot of the veteran at guard on Saturday, but he can also play center if Fisher and Josh Henson believe improving in the middle is a priority. No matter which direction they go, it's hard to imagine looking at the current product and thinking "this will work." Again, it's about improving each and every week, and if the Aggies can't run the football against the likes of Arkansas, their chances of beating the better teams on the schedule are zero, Mond's much-needed growth and progress will be stunted, and even the games against lesser SEC teams become coin flip at best. I don't know the answer, but seeing veterans like Dan Moore (he had a very rough outing on Saturday and has struggled all season) and Carson Green struggle at tackle is something I didn't think we'd be talking about as the Ags approached mid-season.

• Jimbo Fisher made it clear following the Aggie win that Kellen Mond has had better outings than the one versus the Razorbacks on Saturday. Kellen did fail to identify a couple of open targets, was off-target on a small handful of throws and lobbed an end zone interception – a bad decision late in the third quarter that could have cost the Aggies the game. He'll have to be a lot better if the Ags are to have any shot at upsetting Alabama, (more realistically) winning on the road at Ole Miss and beating Mississippi State and South Carolina at home. 

Far from perfect, but I'd challenge anyone's football sanity if they felt Kellen was anywhere near the top of the Ags' list of issues after watching the Ags' 31-27 win. Kellen finished the game 23-of-35 for 251 yards and 3 touchdowns versus the one turnover. He added 67 yards gained on the ground (excluding sacks), meaning the junior quarterback accounted for 318 yards and three scores on 67% passing. He also threw a quality deep ball that Kendrick Rogers misjudged on the game-opening drive that should have gone for a walk-in, 47-yard score. The dude did it without any semblance of a ground game and while under duress on far too many dropbacks. 

Mond's receivers have certainly stepped up their collective game over the past couple of weeks, but I think an overwhelming percentage of you who come up to chat after games or during the week (or as the case was in Dallas on Saturday night, actually harass me in public) about Kellen's performance are pointing too much of your angst in the direction of #11. Right now, there isn't a quarterback ranked in the top half of the SEC attempting to get it done with less in the way of run support or protection. Look around the conference at guys like Tua, Jake Fromm, Joe Burrow and Bo Nix – watch the games, check the numbers and get back to me.

I opened up with the lowlights, but the highs included Mond leading the Ags down the field on a pivotal scoring drive just before halftime and calmly engineering the decisive fourth-quarter field goal drive highlighted by an 18-yard run on 3rd-and-9 and a 14-yard strike to Ainias Smith on 2nd-and-12 that pushed the Ags within Seth Small's range. On the TD drive before the half, Kellen went 5-of-9 for 66 yards and the score (which came with just 8 seconds left in the half) and added 9 yards on the ground.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Kellen Mond is averaging nearly 300 passing yards per game in SEC play and is ranked 14th nationally in that category.

• Interesting notes from Gabe here: In two SEC games, Kellen is completing 64-percent of his passes and is averaging 293 passing yards per game with five touchdowns versus one interception. If he's able to maintain his 65% completion percentage the rest of the way (which is possible considering he's already faced two of the Ags' five toughest opponents), that number would be the fifth-highest in school history for a single season. He currently ranks 14th nationally in passing yards per game and is on a pace that would rank fifth all-time in single-season passing yards.

• I and many others felt Mond could help take some of the pressure off of himself by utilizing his legs a little more. It seemed like a way to stress the defense – something the Aggies had a very hard time doing in losses to Clemson and Auburn. What did Kellen do on Saturday? He took off and scrambled for 12 yards on the game's second play, a decision that definitely got the attention of Razorback defenders. He had a couple of runs on the Ags' most impressive TD drive of the afternoon (an 11-play, 75-yard march in the second quarter) and produced an 18-yard scramble (A&M's longest run of the day) with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. The run helped set up Seth Small's 50-yard field goal that, for all intents and purposes, may have been a season-saver for the Aggies.

Kellen was sacked four times for 34 yards in losses, but he gained 67 yards on 10 runs (both scrambles and designed carries). I think it's safe to say that the Ags need more of that moving forward because the running game remains stuck in neutral and Fisher and his quarterback need something to keep the defense honest.

• Mond's biggest mistake came late in the third quarter when he escaped the pocket and seemed to misread either Razorback coverage, Jhamon Ausbon's route or both. Kellen threw the ball into the left corner of the end zone, where Hog corner Montaric Brown caught an easy pick. The Aggie quarterback turned the ball over just once on Saturday, but the giveaway was the type of play you don't like to see an experienced junior make. At the time, the Ags trailed 24-21 with less than four minutes remaining in the third quarter. A&M was set up with a 2nd-and-9 from the 14-yard line, which meant a field goal was virtually a given. Live to see another down, throw the ball away or scramble for positive yards and (at worst) tie the game with a short field goal. Mond isn't going to be perfect, but with so little working in the run game and Aggie offense in general, he's got to avoid mistakes like his ill-advised heave on Saturday, a mistake that could have been much more costly than it was.

• Another thing I wasn't the only one hoping to see against the Hogs was more Ainias Smith. Well, getting more out of #17 was clearly on the agenda heading into the SEC contest, and it didn't take long for him to make an impact. The true freshman receiver entered the game on the Ags' second drive of the game and capped it off with a 9-yard touchdown grab on his first target for his second score in as many touches in SEC play. On A&M's next possession, Smith produced a 30-yard catch and run to get the drive started and came up huge on 3rd-and-14 in the red zone. Smith crossed the field, gathered in a Mond pass and raced 16 yards to move the sticks. The Ags were in the end zone two plays later and went up 14-3. The dynamic Dulles product finished the game with 5 catches for 80 yards and a score, catching all five passes thrown his way. In 17 targets this fall, Smith has managed 12 catches for 161 yards and 3 TDs. At this point, you can't get this young playmaker the ball enough. Along that line of thinking, Smith was also used for the first time as a punt returner.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Quartney Davis had a strong outing against the Razorbacks, producing several big plays.

• Smith's emergence wasn't the only bright spot at the position, as both Jhamon Ausbon and Quartney Davis played key roles in the Aggie win. Ausbon has been playing outstanding ball all season (more on that in a moment), and insiders were hopeful that Davis' 5-catch, 82-yard effort against Auburn was a sign that the junior was ready to regain his 2018 form. Both of Dameyune Craig's veterans got it done on a Saturday when the Aggie offense absolutely needed it. Ausbon hauled in 7 passes for 82 yards, including a tone-setting 12-yarder on the game's first play and a dazzling 17-yard sideline grab on the Ags' second drive. All told, six of Ausbon's seven grabs produced first downs, and the first six of his grabs produced gains of 10 yards or more.

Davis found paydirt twice against the Razorbacks on Saturday. He caught 7 passes for 62 yards and added an 18-yard run on a reverse. All told, 9 of Davis’ touches produced 81 yards and two scores. Quartney's second TD of the day came early in the fourth quarter and gave the Ags a lead they never relinquished on a beautifully-designed play-action strike from Mond in the back of the end zone on first-and-goal from the 3. Davis' most jaw-dropping play of the afternoon – and probably the Ags' biggest snap of the game – came at the end of the first half. The Ags were facing 2nd-and-10 from the Arkansas 22-yard line and trailing 17-14 with just seconds remaining in the first half. Mond saw Davis break open over the middle and connected with #1, who then proceeded to fight through a tackle, cut to his left, find an opening and sprint the rest of the way to the corner of the end zone. Q crossed the goal line with just 8 seconds remaining before halftime thanks to a catch-and-run that was equal parts explosive, pure playmaking talent and 'I won't be denied' toughness and desire. Reminiscent of the time last year when he took a screen pass to the house in Starkville to give the Ags a halftime lead.

In two SEC games, Quartney has managed 12 grabs for 144 yards and three TDs. That's the kind of production Jimbo Fisher expected from his most proven and dangerous playmaker entering the season.

Ausbon currently ranks 17th nationally in receiving yards with 446 and is 12th in the country in catches with 32. His current pace is 82 grabs for 1,160 yards, which would place him third all-time at A&M in a single season in both categories. 

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Kendrick Rogers didn’t play much after failing to complete at 47-yard would-be touchdown pass in the first quarter.

• Kendrick Rogers was targeted in the first quarter on a deep shot from Mond, a ball that Kellen placed pretty much where it needed to be as his 6-4 receiver split the coverage on a post pattern. Instead of running under the ball, Kendrick opted to turn back to the ball and turn it into a leaping catch. The ball fell incomplete and what would have been a game-opening touchdown drive for the Ags punctuated by a 47-yard bomb turned into a punt. We didn't hear from #13 after that, as Ainias Smith, Jhamon Aubson, Quartney Davis and Cam Buckley were the primary guys out there. He entered 2019 with so much promise on the heels of his virtuoso performance against LSU, but Kendrick has had a very quiet season five games into his junior campaign with just 17 catches for 200 yards. He hasn't been impactful at all so far this season, but I'm going to say it now: The last thing the Ags need to do is give up on the occasional playmaker. The Ags have enough depth to make sure the 'hot hand' is on the field, but I still believe odds are good that Rogers has a couple of big games in him during the season's second half. Things haven't been coming easy for Kendrick (who has fought a lower leg injury all season), but I expect he'll fight through it.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

So $60 million to buy out Jimbo, then Urbs probably would want $120 million fully guaranteed  for ten years...workable. Just need another hurricane so Sharp can steal more rebuilding money.

Funnily enough, he's just developed a real philanthropic interest in helping out America's less fortunate neighbors

6382df_d1f45868c0c943fc8ee8b694d245d29a~

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

So $60 million to buy out Jimbo, then Urbs probably would want $120 million fully guaranteed  for ten years...workable. Just need another hurricane so Sharp can steal more rebuilding money.

King of stealing your money cooking public sector books, Johnny.

7C2A0532.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I doubt anyone of you guys could write over 3,000 words analyzing the aggy offense in one game. 

Reveal hidden contents

Offense in Review: Texas A&M 31, Arkansas 27

By Billy Liucci

September 30, 2019

• If you would have told me that Kellen Mond would have been sacked four times and Arkansas dropped ball-carriers behind the line on eight occasions, the Aggies would manage just 340 yards of total offense (a mere 89 on the ground) and that A&M would turn the ball over twice, I would've been shocked had you followed that up by saying the Aggie offense produced 31 points. They did so without the benefit of a short field too. Without question, there were some positives to be found in the Ags' performance on offense – three 11-play scoring drives, a dagger of a TD in the final seconds before halftime, a clutch fourth-quarter field goal drive with the game's outcome hanging in the balance and a pair of 75-yard marches. 

However, the bottom line when evaluating the Aggie offense on Saturday against Arkansas is that A&M couldn't run the football, committed a pair of disastrous turnovers and were unable to put the Hogs away given multiple chances throughout the game. The Ags' struggles have to become even more of a concern when you consider the fact that they were unable to consistently move the football against an Arkansas defense that allowed over 30 points to Ole Miss, Colorado State and San Jose State (the Spartans also rang up over 500 yards) in September. For one stretch bridging the second and third quarters, the Ags came up empty on five of six possessions, producing more turnovers (2) than scoring drives (1) during that span.

• Two disastrous turnovers by the Aggie offense on Saturday led to at least a 10-point swing and might have led to a net gain of 14 for Arkansas. The first led directly to 7 Razorback points. Isaiah Spiller and Kellen Mond seemed to get their wires crossed on the backfield exchange, due in part to the fact that a free rusher flew into the backfield untouched. Spiller put the ball on the turf and Arkansas linebacker DeJon Harris scooped it up and scampered 6 yards into the end zone. How big a momentum-changer was the turnover? It occurred with the Ags up 14-3 just one play after Justin Madubuike picked off Nick Starkel in the end zone and ran over the Razorback starter, igniting the 12th Man and A&M sideline. The Aggie offense had produced touchdown drives on each of the two prior possessions, so marching right back down the field and pushing the lead to 17- or 21-3 didn't feel at all like a stretch. Instead, the quick-change score made it 14-10 and Arkansas took a 17-14 lead shortly thereafter. Later in the game, Mond threw an ill-advised end zone interception (more on that in a moment) that cost the Aggies at least a game-tying field goal and perhaps a touchdown. Two entirely preventable turnovers on downs that led to a two-score swing. The bottom line is that the Ags aren't good enough yet to give away any points in SEC play, much less as many as 14.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

The Aggies have struggled to both set up holes for the running game and protect Kellen Mond in the passing game.

• This week we'll start things off with the unit that continues to be, well, really 'off' with the Aggie offense. Blocking has been a season-long issue for Jimbo Fisher's group. Mond was hit more than anyone would be comfortable with during lopsided wins over Texas State and Lamar, and the Aggies did virtually nothing on the ground against Clemson and Auburn. Not being able to run and losing the battle in the trenches to the two Tigers was one thing, but surely the Ags would be able to get things on track against an Arkansas defense that saw Ole Miss run for more than 225 yards and Colorado State rip off nearly 250, with the Rams' starter going for 180 by himself.

After watching the A&M running game fail to get anything going against John Chavis' defense on Saturday, I think it's safe to say that the Ags' most pressing issue is to figure things out along the offensive line. Through three quarters, A&M tailbacks Isaiah Spiller and Jacob Kibodi had managed a net total of -1 yards on the ground, with all of the damage on the ground coming from Kellen Mond and an 18-yard reverse from Quartney Davis. The Ags ended the game with 89 rushing yards, an average of 2.7 per tote – a bit of a misleading number when you consider the tailback position produced 38 yards on 16 attempts.

Having two inexperienced backs on the field doesn't help matters, but considering how much backfield penetration we've seen in the Ags' three games versus Power Five opposition, it would be pretty tough for even a proven veteran to run into the traffic Spiller, Kibodi and Mond are seeing. There’s been far too many unblocked defenders and clear paths to the backfield for a unit that features three upperclassmen in year two as starters, a senior at center who has started at least a full season's worth of games, and (at times) a junior right guard who started the second half of last season. Kenyon Green is starting as a true freshman at guard, but the dude has flashed an elite-level skillset, and many a true freshman OL has managed to not only get the job done but stand out in this league since I began covering it in 2012.

The Aggies simply aren't getting the job done up front, and as I said in this week's Cover Story, we're talking about an unacceptable lack of production that is essentially choking off every aspect of the A&M offense. Mond is landing in far too many third-and-longs, possessions tend to bog down as Fisher continues to hammer away at developing a competent ground game (knowing the Ags aren't going to be able to consistently move the ball without it) and the quarterback either doesn't have time to throw or is anticipating pressure even when it's not there. The Ags’ inability to establish anything on the ground is also leading to stretches of quick possessions that are forcing more snaps out of the Aggie defense. Add it all up and what do you get? The system that worked so well for the A&M offense last fall is broken, and it starts with the front five plus tight ends and even the blocking backs. 

With two weeks between games, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least see a slight shake-up in the trenches.

Without a significant improvement in that department, the Ags' offensive prospects look bleak. That's why, with two weeks between games, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least see a slight shake-up in the trenches. There aren’t many options, but Kenyon Green has struggled at guard and is probably the team's most gifted tackle, and it's not like the Ags are getting dominant efforts from either Dan Moore (who might be a guard at the next level) or Carson Green on the edges. There's also Ryan McCollum. We saw a lot of the veteran at guard on Saturday, but he can also play center if Fisher and Josh Henson believe improving in the middle is a priority. No matter which direction they go, it's hard to imagine looking at the current product and thinking "this will work." Again, it's about improving each and every week, and if the Aggies can't run the football against the likes of Arkansas, their chances of beating the better teams on the schedule are zero, Mond's much-needed growth and progress will be stunted, and even the games against lesser SEC teams become coin flip at best. I don't know the answer, but seeing veterans like Dan Moore (he had a very rough outing on Saturday and has struggled all season) and Carson Green struggle at tackle is something I didn't think we'd be talking about as the Ags approached mid-season.

• Jimbo Fisher made it clear following the Aggie win that Kellen Mond has had better outings than the one versus the Razorbacks on Saturday. Kellen did fail to identify a couple of open targets, was off-target on a small handful of throws and lobbed an end zone interception – a bad decision late in the third quarter that could have cost the Aggies the game. He'll have to be a lot better if the Ags are to have any shot at upsetting Alabama, (more realistically) winning on the road at Ole Miss and beating Mississippi State and South Carolina at home. 

Far from perfect, but I'd challenge anyone's football sanity if they felt Kellen was anywhere near the top of the Ags' list of issues after watching the Ags' 31-27 win. Kellen finished the game 23-of-35 for 251 yards and 3 touchdowns versus the one turnover. He added 67 yards gained on the ground (excluding sacks), meaning the junior quarterback accounted for 318 yards and three scores on 67% passing. He also threw a quality deep ball that Kendrick Rogers misjudged on the game-opening drive that should have gone for a walk-in, 47-yard score. The dude did it without any semblance of a ground game and while under duress on far too many dropbacks. 

Mond's receivers have certainly stepped up their collective game over the past couple of weeks, but I think an overwhelming percentage of you who come up to chat after games or during the week (or as the case was in Dallas on Saturday night, actually harass me in public) about Kellen's performance are pointing too much of your angst in the direction of #11. Right now, there isn't a quarterback ranked in the top half of the SEC attempting to get it done with less in the way of run support or protection. Look around the conference at guys like Tua, Jake Fromm, Joe Burrow and Bo Nix – watch the games, check the numbers and get back to me.

I opened up with the lowlights, but the highs included Mond leading the Ags down the field on a pivotal scoring drive just before halftime and calmly engineering the decisive fourth-quarter field goal drive highlighted by an 18-yard run on 3rd-and-9 and a 14-yard strike to Ainias Smith on 2nd-and-12 that pushed the Ags within Seth Small's range. On the TD drive before the half, Kellen went 5-of-9 for 66 yards and the score (which came with just 8 seconds left in the half) and added 9 yards on the ground.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Kellen Mond is averaging nearly 300 passing yards per game in SEC play and is ranked 14th nationally in that category.

• Interesting notes from Gabe here: In two SEC games, Kellen is completing 64-percent of his passes and is averaging 293 passing yards per game with five touchdowns versus one interception. If he's able to maintain his 65% completion percentage the rest of the way (which is possible considering he's already faced two of the Ags' five toughest opponents), that number would be the fifth-highest in school history for a single season. He currently ranks 14th nationally in passing yards per game and is on a pace that would rank fifth all-time in single-season passing yards.

• I and many others felt Mond could help take some of the pressure off of himself by utilizing his legs a little more. It seemed like a way to stress the defense – something the Aggies had a very hard time doing in losses to Clemson and Auburn. What did Kellen do on Saturday? He took off and scrambled for 12 yards on the game's second play, a decision that definitely got the attention of Razorback defenders. He had a couple of runs on the Ags' most impressive TD drive of the afternoon (an 11-play, 75-yard march in the second quarter) and produced an 18-yard scramble (A&M's longest run of the day) with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. The run helped set up Seth Small's 50-yard field goal that, for all intents and purposes, may have been a season-saver for the Aggies.

Kellen was sacked four times for 34 yards in losses, but he gained 67 yards on 10 runs (both scrambles and designed carries). I think it's safe to say that the Ags need more of that moving forward because the running game remains stuck in neutral and Fisher and his quarterback need something to keep the defense honest.

• Mond's biggest mistake came late in the third quarter when he escaped the pocket and seemed to misread either Razorback coverage, Jhamon Ausbon's route or both. Kellen threw the ball into the left corner of the end zone, where Hog corner Montaric Brown caught an easy pick. The Aggie quarterback turned the ball over just once on Saturday, but the giveaway was the type of play you don't like to see an experienced junior make. At the time, the Ags trailed 24-21 with less than four minutes remaining in the third quarter. A&M was set up with a 2nd-and-9 from the 14-yard line, which meant a field goal was virtually a given. Live to see another down, throw the ball away or scramble for positive yards and (at worst) tie the game with a short field goal. Mond isn't going to be perfect, but with so little working in the run game and Aggie offense in general, he's got to avoid mistakes like his ill-advised heave on Saturday, a mistake that could have been much more costly than it was.

• Another thing I wasn't the only one hoping to see against the Hogs was more Ainias Smith. Well, getting more out of #17 was clearly on the agenda heading into the SEC contest, and it didn't take long for him to make an impact. The true freshman receiver entered the game on the Ags' second drive of the game and capped it off with a 9-yard touchdown grab on his first target for his second score in as many touches in SEC play. On A&M's next possession, Smith produced a 30-yard catch and run to get the drive started and came up huge on 3rd-and-14 in the red zone. Smith crossed the field, gathered in a Mond pass and raced 16 yards to move the sticks. The Ags were in the end zone two plays later and went up 14-3. The dynamic Dulles product finished the game with 5 catches for 80 yards and a score, catching all five passes thrown his way. In 17 targets this fall, Smith has managed 12 catches for 161 yards and 3 TDs. At this point, you can't get this young playmaker the ball enough. Along that line of thinking, Smith was also used for the first time as a punt returner.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Quartney Davis had a strong outing against the Razorbacks, producing several big plays.

• Smith's emergence wasn't the only bright spot at the position, as both Jhamon Ausbon and Quartney Davis played key roles in the Aggie win. Ausbon has been playing outstanding ball all season (more on that in a moment), and insiders were hopeful that Davis' 5-catch, 82-yard effort against Auburn was a sign that the junior was ready to regain his 2018 form. Both of Dameyune Craig's veterans got it done on a Saturday when the Aggie offense absolutely needed it. Ausbon hauled in 7 passes for 82 yards, including a tone-setting 12-yarder on the game's first play and a dazzling 17-yard sideline grab on the Ags' second drive. All told, six of Ausbon's seven grabs produced first downs, and the first six of his grabs produced gains of 10 yards or more.

Davis found paydirt twice against the Razorbacks on Saturday. He caught 7 passes for 62 yards and added an 18-yard run on a reverse. All told, 9 of Davis’ touches produced 81 yards and two scores. Quartney's second TD of the day came early in the fourth quarter and gave the Ags a lead they never relinquished on a beautifully-designed play-action strike from Mond in the back of the end zone on first-and-goal from the 3. Davis' most jaw-dropping play of the afternoon – and probably the Ags' biggest snap of the game – came at the end of the first half. The Ags were facing 2nd-and-10 from the Arkansas 22-yard line and trailing 17-14 with just seconds remaining in the first half. Mond saw Davis break open over the middle and connected with #1, who then proceeded to fight through a tackle, cut to his left, find an opening and sprint the rest of the way to the corner of the end zone. Q crossed the goal line with just 8 seconds remaining before halftime thanks to a catch-and-run that was equal parts explosive, pure playmaking talent and 'I won't be denied' toughness and desire. Reminiscent of the time last year when he took a screen pass to the house in Starkville to give the Ags a halftime lead.

In two SEC games, Quartney has managed 12 grabs for 144 yards and three TDs. That's the kind of production Jimbo Fisher expected from his most proven and dangerous playmaker entering the season.

Ausbon currently ranks 17th nationally in receiving yards with 446 and is 12th in the country in catches with 32. His current pace is 82 grabs for 1,160 yards, which would place him third all-time at A&M in a single season in both categories. 

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Kendrick Rogers didn’t play much after failing to complete at 47-yard would-be touchdown pass in the first quarter.

• Kendrick Rogers was targeted in the first quarter on a deep shot from Mond, a ball that Kellen placed pretty much where it needed to be as his 6-4 receiver split the coverage on a post pattern. Instead of running under the ball, Kendrick opted to turn back to the ball and turn it into a leaping catch. The ball fell incomplete and what would have been a game-opening touchdown drive for the Ags punctuated by a 47-yard bomb turned into a punt. We didn't hear from #13 after that, as Ainias Smith, Jhamon Aubson, Quartney Davis and Cam Buckley were the primary guys out there. He entered 2019 with so much promise on the heels of his virtuoso performance against LSU, but Kendrick has had a very quiet season five games into his junior campaign with just 17 catches for 200 yards. He hasn't been impactful at all so far this season, but I'm going to say it now: The last thing the Ags need to do is give up on the occasional playmaker. The Ags have enough depth to make sure the 'hot hand' is on the field, but I still believe odds are good that Rogers has a couple of big games in him during the season's second half. Things haven't been coming easy for Kendrick (who has fought a lower leg injury all season), but I expect he'll fight through it.

Looch didn't write that, that's for certain.  

First, it's too long and coherent.  He has much better things to do like count 9.95's and pay someone to do work.  

Second, there's some criticism in the article, he obviously doesn't even proof read at all. 

Third, while a solid effort, there were only 6 references to SEC, and without those we will very likely forget which conference they currently scavenge.  

But the real giveaway is not a single paragraph circles back to us in some derogatory way.  If he actually wrote this there would be no less than 3-4 references about how they're still better/at least no BDF/Texas is overrated.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Clemson has been hit or miss on offense so far. Lawrence and Etienne haven't found their groove yet.
I know this is getting off topic but you are right.

Clemson isnt 2018 Clemson. They are top 10 but towards the backside. And not just because mack brown, he is a retard. Clemson just isnt that good compared to last year.

Ohio state is gonna rape everybody.

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Clemson isnt 2018 Clemson. They are top 10 but towards the backside. And not just because mack brown, he is a retard. Clemson just isnt that good compared to last year.

This. Fields might be Ohio State's weakest link, but he's also their cheat code.

They're the best team right now, but they haven't played anyone. On top of that, all of their hardest games are at the Shoe. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I didn't think Fields would go freak-mode his first season, but that dude is a different animal, and I don't care that they've played nobodies. Ohio State is in the playoffs. They would fuck Clemson's world. I'd like to see what we could do against them since Tom models the team like theirs. Would we win? Dunno. But I bet it would be close. If not us, I'd like to see an LSU/tOSU match-up. 

8 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

If you would have told me that Kellen Mond would have been sacked four times and Arkansas dropped ball-carriers behind the line on eight occasions, the Aggies would manage just 340 yards of total offense (a mere 89 on the ground) and that A&M would turn the ball over twice, I would've been shocked had you followed that up by saying the Aggie offense produced 31 points.

That’s just good writing.

• Haha 1

Agree with this. I watch just about every Clemson game (wife is a grad and huge fan) and they’re just off for some reason (NFL attrition, Lawrence appears to have rested a bit on his laurels). They’re still Uber talented but could very easily drop a game in ACC this year. Hell, it’s happened to better Clemson teams in the last 5 years.

Ohio State looks scary good at this point.

19 hours ago, golfclap said:

attrition at WR for aggy - we knew it was coming  - Roshaud Paul to redshirt per Jimbo's press conference today. So they've still got to lose like 17? something like that. 

currently have 13 active + 3 recruits (Texas is at 11+2)

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2020-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

this includes 7 current freshmen (!!!) which seems like a ton. they are absolutely going to have guys get processed out.

• 0 SR
  • 4 JR
  • 2 SO
  • 7 FR
  • 3 recruits

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

currently have 13 active + 3 recruits (Texas is at 11+2)

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2020-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

this includes 7 current freshmen (!!!) which seems like a ton. they are absolutely going to have guys get processed out.

• 0 SR
  • 4 JR
  • 2 SO
  • 7 FR
  • 3 recruits

Jimbo’s programs always have a high rate of attrition. He turns on coaches and players quickly and he’s an unlikeable prick. Plus, he buys a lot of recruits, so their loyalty runs out quickly if things don’t work right away. 

The logjam at WR combined with few guys playing and most of them putting up bad numbers means they’ll see a ton of attrition there. 

That 2018 class is going to see an unprecedented level of attrition. Foster’s on his way out and Jenkins May go with him. J. Moore already transferred. O’Neal looks like a very likely transfer candidate at the moment. V. Jackson and Blanton might be already lost to injury. Parker’s gone. The 2 manvel kids that came with Preston will be processed and Jalen Preston is barely playing his second year and is part of that WR logjam. Who knows if Wright will ever be healthy/produce. Clement’s more likely to hit 400 lbs than play meaningful snaps. 

That 2018 class might have less than 5 contributors by next season. Teams can’t overcome that kind of attrition and the bottom half of Jimbo’s 2019 and 2020 classes is too full of bread to come anywhere near making up for the 2018 class.

That program is in serious fucking trouble moving forward. They’re in a way worse spot than I thought would even be possible this early on in Jimbo’s tenure.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The 2 manvel kids that came with Preston will be processed and Jalen Preston is barely playing his second year and is part of that WR logjam. Who knows if Wright will ever be healthy/produce. Clement’s more likely to hit 400 lbs than play meaningful snaps. 

Prince is already on the portal and it sounds like Preston is going to RS and bounce. Brian Johnson is playing LB now and has played in all 4 games but if the other 2 head out ...   

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Prince is already on the portal and it sounds like Preston is going to RS and bounce. Brian Johnson is playing LB now and has played in all 4 games but if the other 2 head out ...   

I don't think that name had ever actually made an impact in my brain. Woof. I'd thought you meant Brian Williams was getting spun down because he's so slow.

https://247sports.com/player/brian-johnson-91963/

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Jimbo should be hitting JUCO and grad transfers hard now.  But he cannot because he will be in a scholarship crunch due to all the bread he signed up.

Yep. He’s been signing huge classes but will still struggle against the 25 signee limit every year just to try to cobble together an 85 man roster.

Edited by Burt Macklin

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Has there been speculation on Preston transferring from insiders/mods? 

I was a huge fan of him, curious where he'd go. Since he hasn't developed, he's probably not worth a package deal with the other two if that's what they have in mind, unless you're a middle of the road P5. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Agree with this. I watch just about every Clemson game (wife is a grad and huge fan) and they’re just off for some reason (NFL attrition, Lawrence appears to have rested a bit on his laurels). They’re still Uber talented but could very easily drop a game in ACC this year. Hell, it’s happened to better Clemson teams in the last 5 years.

Ohio State looks scary good at this point.

They lost their best player, Hunter Renfrow

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lawrence is a better player than Renfrow.  And by better I mean has a bigger impact on whether they win.  Exchange them on this year's team and the drop off would be even bigger.

No way. You're wrong, and should feel bad. 

so we all remember the aggy jizzfest about how MASSIVE AND ZOMG HUGE Bobby Brown was in March, right? 

refresher links  ::

and 

today I give you the aggy247 board on Bobby Brown from the Arkansas game. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?!?!?! 

GTFO until you pull your head out awards:

1. BBrown...why is this guy even on the field? Standing straight up, not moving, watching your ten play their eleven, snap after snap. Bigger, stronger than the guy in front of you and let him push you around with no help? Bench this clown and play someone who wants to win.

Agree on Brown. Peevy has been much better. Should be the starter.

100% on Brown. As much as he was hyped coming out of high school, he hasn't produced at all. You didn't really notice this last year because he was playing behind NFL caliber players.

Brown was playing DE last year but it was clear he lacked juice and needed to be moved inside. I agree if he doesn’t improve see what Hunter and Jones can do. Can’t believe we let Diallo leave.

I'd play Madu at NT and Peevy at 3T, rotate with Jones, Rogers, Hunter, Leal until Brown decides he wants to be a football player. I have not seen the lack of effort and zero interest from an A&M player like Brown showed in a long, long time. May as well see what the younger guys can do...cannot be worse than the waste of a uniform on Brown.

Tarp ::

Brown has always been an enigma with regard to productivity, even in high school.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

so we all remember the aggy jizzfest about how MASSIVE AND ZOMG HUGE Bobby Brown was in March, right? 

and 

today I give you the aggy247 board on Bobby Brown from the Arkansas game. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?!?!?! 

I counted him as one of the 5 contributors from the aggy 2018 class. lulz.

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

Has there been speculation on Preston transferring from insiders/mods? 

I was a huge fan of him, curious where he'd go. Since he hasn't developed, he's probably not worth a package deal with the other two if that's what they have in mind, unless you're a middle of the road P5. 

Wouldn't be shocked if all of them end up at UH. Preston would probably produce big time results in Holgrosen's offense. I bet Prince would also put up acceptable numbers there. Like Porter's current 5.8 YPC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

and 

Wait the player they bought and lauded as a flip from Alabama that had effort issues in HS, is having effort issues for a shitty aggy program. No way.

• Like 4

This is from Super K on Antonio Doyle.

*2020 LB, Antonio Doyle did make it in for his official visit but I’ll keep this real simple.

I don’t expect to hear much more about Doyle as it pertains to OU.

I’ll add that Grinch and the defensive staff are very serious about their player evaluations and while the official visits are meant to be a chance for players to evaluate the program, it’s also a chance for Grinch and his staff to evaluate the players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I’ll add that Grinch and the defensive staff are very serious about their player evaluations and while the official visits are meant to be a chance for players to evaluate the program, it’s also a chance for Grinch and his staff to evaluate the players.

image.jpeg.2f86f4e943ed1f04e0b299bb05948f8c.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is from Super K on Antonio Doyle.

*2020 LB, Antonio Doyle did make it in for his official visit but I’ll keep this real simple.

I don’t expect to hear much more about Doyle as it pertains to OU.

aggy looking good for malcontent, what a surprise.

Explains our total lack of followup after the initial offer.

• Like 1

Pretty much explains the Evans situation with him tweeting a couple weeks ago that he's decided 100% and hasn't said he's going to A&M.

if Georgia take me I'm going there...

if not and LSU takes me I'm going there...

if not...I'm going wait until NSD to see if one of them changes their mind and then I'm going there...

otherwise I guess I'll go to A&M since no one else wants me anymore and they will take me anytime.

...NSD -  "It was A&M from the beginning, I've been a silent forever, nobody else was really close for me"

• Like 7

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

and 

Who would have imagined a line stocked with DTs doesn't do DE things well? Cubes in da house!

With Demas apparently bought in and Evans possibly out of other $uitable places to land, they may just generate enough excitement with the "and friends" part of their "2020: cubes, bread, and friends" class to get the roller coaster back up to appropriate starting height in the offseason.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

With Demas apparently bought in and Evans possibly out of other $uitable places to land, they may just generate enough excitement with the "and friends" part of their "2020: cubes, bread, and friends" class to get the roller coaster back up to appropriate starting height in the offseason.

If you just look at the top, it's phenomenal!

11248065_10153096742833859_4253528383310

• Like 3
  • Haha 1