Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

7 hours ago, Blotto said:

Seeing that we gave Sark an extra 4 years after actually reaching the CFP makes that jimbo contract extension even worse. Its why I never worry about those morons. Everything they do, you can be assured is a suboptimal decision. In their minds paying that little cuck all that money and fully guaranteeing it for 10 years meant that they were on top of the CFB world. They are hardwired for failure. Always have been. Always will be. 

aggy has a losing tradition

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Blotto said:

Seeing that we gave Sark an extra 4 years after actually reaching the CFP makes that jimbo contract extension even worse. Its why I never worry about those morons. Everything they do, you can be assured is a suboptimal decision. In their minds paying that little cuck all that money and fully guaranteeing it for 10 years meant that they were on top of the CFB world. They are hardwired for failure. Always have been. Always will be. 

I don't think I've ever seen the aggy mentality summed up so succinctly. Bravo good sir, bravo.

I'm still baffled why anyone would worry that Sark would leave one blue blood for another? So...Saban built up a roster and was winning? Sark built up his roster and made the CFP in year 3, so it's not like he was just going to ditch everything he had built up just to take over someone else's roster that he didn't recruit for his system. It's dumb, and the worrying really is mind bottling. 

I understand someone like DeBoer leaving UW for a blue blood, but not someone like Sark who has the keys to a blue leaving for another? Some people really worry just to worry. It's silly. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm still baffled why anyone would worry that Sark would leave one blue blood for another? So...Saban built up a roster and was winning? Sark built up his roster and made the CFP in year 3, so it's not like he was just going to ditch everything he had built up just to take over someone else's roster that he didn't recruit for his system. It's dumb, and the worrying really is mind bottling. 

I understand someone like DeBoer leaving UW for a blue blood, but not someone like Sark who has the keys to a blue leaving for another? Some people really worry just to worry. It's silly. 

Fight On Southern Cal GIF by USC Trojans

Though to be honest I think a big reason that prompted Riley to leave OU - life in Southern California - is actually why I was not worried. Life in Austin seems to be a better fit for Steve and Loreal than Tuscaloosa.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

Are they still selling candy bars 

bed12690-59b7-48e7-ab04-e0838a3ad8a4_tex

I used to be addicted to Mack, but now I am clean.  That is why I'm selling these magazine subscriptions.  Would you like to buy one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Giving Sark an extension and raise is like playing with house money. He has already earned it given his below average first contract and the amount of money the program has made this year. Even if he flames out in coming years, I think we would still be net positive on this investment. It seems unlikely that he would flame out at this point given the roster he has built and the assistants he has hired. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

So.

Coming up on year 4.

THIS is the year, in my mind, where we real start to see if Sark is a keeper.

The team has done great until now, and exceeded my expectations. He's done well with the original staff, some of Herman's leftovers, and some key transfers.

Now, we're seeing some key players graduate/declare, we're seeing some staff get new jobs. Can he rebuild the staff and roster bigger... stronger?

man dollar GIF

Can't wait to see. It's been a fun ride so far.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, dcbc said:

bed12690-59b7-48e7-ab04-e0838a3ad8a4_tex

I used to be addicted to Mack, but now I am clean.  That is why I'm selling these magazine subscriptions.  Would you like to buy one.

I'm actually an unemployed defensive line coach

• Haha 1

I really like Sark so far, and this year was great. I’ve always been relatively positive on him. Things seem like they are headed in the right direction.

But this thread is getting a little too effusive in its praise for Sark a little too early. How about we see two good seasons in a row before declaring an all-out man crush. You’re jinxing him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I really like Sark so far, and this year was great. I’ve always been relatively positive on him. Things seem like they are headed in the right direction.

But this thread is getting a little too effusive in its praise for Sark a little too early. How about we see two good seasons in a row before declaring an all-out man crush. You’re jinxing him. 

lulz - sports fans don't work that way. You're the GOAT or a piece of shit, sometimes in the same season.  There's no in between.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it’s reasonable to like Sark and still hold cautious optimism regarding his future. Simply, I think Deboer and several others are better coaches. 

Can he learn to manage the clock better? Can he learn to take what the defense is giving him? To kick a field goal when the moment calls for it?

I like Sark. But I would have expected a better string of final plays against Washington for all the offensive genius he has. That moment seemed to big for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think it’s reasonable to like Sark and still hold cautious optimism regarding his future. Simply, I think Deboer and several others are better coaches. 

Can he learn to manage the clock better? Can he learn to take what the defense is giving him? To kick a field goal when the moment calls for it?

I like Sark. But I would have expected a better string of final plays against Washington for all the offensive genius he has. That moment seemed to big for him.

Sark can still grow, every coach can.  DeBoer screwed up his clock management in the Sugar Bowl and got very lucky to squeak out with a win considering how they outplayed us.  He would have been dragged hard if they ended up losing that game.

But Sark is probably a legit top 5 coach right now when you consider the full gamut of coaching responsibilities: 1) talent acquisition and roster management, 2) assistant coaching hires, 3) off the field CEO stuff w/ the AD and boosters, 4) in-game coaching, 5) player development, etc etc.

I'd put Kirby ahead on #1, even on 2, 3, 4 and 5.

I'd put Harbaugh ahead on #4 and 5, behind on #1 and #3, not sure on #2

I'd put DeBoer ahead on #2, 4 and 5, behind on #1 and not sure on #3

That's who I'd put above Sark but after Kirby it's close.

Below Sark...

Lanning is maybe ahead on #3, slightly behind on #1 although he's done well in the portal, slightly behind on #2, slightly behind on #4 and unsure on #5 although Nix was developed he was also 8th year, so...

Day is slightly ahead on #1 (ranks ahead of Texas in 2023 team talent composite)

Riley is slightly behind on #1 and 3, and way behind on #2 and #5

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark still needs to relinquish Offensive Coordinator job so he can move on to Saban level CEO full time. It seems like he has related to PK as if he were same-level OC, rather than the Boss. He did show some Bossiness in a couple of press conferences, saying he had asked the DC to dial up more aggression, so that's a Good Thing. Bringing Nansen in looks like a step toward lighting a fire under Kwiatkowski's ass. 

41 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Sark still needs to relinquish Offensive Coordinator job so he can move on to Saban level CEO full time. It seems like he has related to PK as if he were same-level OC, rather than the Boss. He did show some Bossiness in a couple of press conferences, saying he had asked the DC to dial up more aggression, so that's a Good Thing. Bringing Nansen in looks like a step toward lighting a fire under Kwiatkowski's ass. 

image.gif.59264ced28463c058f6b20cbe3ca9d54.gif

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I think that's bullshit.

This is the same guy who called the NC win for Alabama a few years ago. 

I understand his job is different now, but the moment wasn't too big. Everyone can have bad moments.

He has some things to figure out, but in the last three years here, I see a man who is working on improving.

I'm very excited for the future with Sark at the helm.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Fight On Southern Cal GIF by USC Trojans

Though to be honest I think a big reason that prompted Riley to leave OU - life in Southern California - is actually why I was not worried. Life in Austin seems to be a better fit for Steve and Loreal than Tuscaloosa.

Exactly. There's a difference between a dump in Oklahoma to a move to SoCal, but moving from Austin to Alabama is not even in the same stratosphere. It's like if pussy Mack didn't get his vagina bleeding after being forced out, maybe Saban would have left Tuscaloosa for Austin. That's a move I could see happening just due to how much Austin is like SoCal/USC. 

Texas to Mack - 

IMG_8805.gif

20 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Sark still needs to relinquish Offensive Coordinator job so he can move on to Saban level CEO full time. 

Why? 

He has proven to be a great OC and a good enough CEO. 

I don't want him meddling with the OC if he gives up play calling. If playcalling is his fire, let him breathe on it. 

He's done a great job this far. If the CEO job gets in the way of the OC job, he can switch it up and find an OC that fits his philosophy. Does such a person exist? 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Why? 

I don't want him meddling with the OC if he gives up play calling. If playcalling is his fire, let him breathe on it. 

He's done a great job this far. If the CEO job gets in the way of the OC job, he can switch it up and find an OC that fits his philosophy. Does such a person exist? 

Milwee? Or anyone in the Shanahan coaching Tree 😁

6 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Why? 

Sark's done extremely well, and I think almost all of us are double-fuck gruntled.

I think the OC work does get in the way. Yes, he does need an OC who shares his philosophy, and I have no idea who that might be. Doesn't mean I can't hope such a person exists and can be added to the pretty damn good staff he's assembled already.

I've been somewhat puzzled about Milwee. Obviously Sark has a high opinion of him, but we've not seen any evidence of great effect on the offense, but maybe that's just the Saban/Sark disallowance of media access. 

Shanahan tree, sounds like a Good Idea, why not?

8 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Sark's done extremely well, and I think almost all of us are double-fuck gruntled.

I think the OC work does get in the way. Yes, he does need an OC who shares his philosophy, and I have no idea who that might be. Doesn't mean I can't hope such a person exists and can be added to the pretty damn good staff he's assembled already.

Honest question - why?

It seems like the team has steadily improved every season as the personnel has improved and become more experienced with the system. I haven't seen any evidence that Sark calling the plays has been holding us back. I get that it can be frustrating to watch us run the same plays that aren't working over and over (ahem TCU in 2022), but are we sure that's on Sark? It seems like the problem in the past has been with execution, not playcalling. This season the players executed better and we made the CFP. If the guys execute even better next year, why can't we look like Bama in 2020?

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying if it ain't broke...

On 1/14/2024 at 1:58 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Sark also saw what it was like at Bama from the inside when he was OC. Maybe that had a little to do with it.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:28 PM, nunna yo bizness said:

The choice and placement of ads sometimes seems less than optimal.

Screenshot_20240112_122411_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.539e2f4c956e0cb6e98e3bd731006de1.jpg

But Jeebus has anyone thought of the poor toothless Korean war vet living in a conex trailer?  

The way I see it....

1) Sark seems fully capable of handling the CEO level duties on non-game day he recruits well, he speaks well, his press conferences are the best we've ever had since I started paying attention to UT football (McWilliams) and as best I can tell the big wig shitbags like him which is probably the 2nd most important aspect of this job after recruiting as it pertains to the CEO stuff

2) He does seem to be obsessed about his opening script and instead of abandoning it and adjusting to what the opposition is giving him he trudges on regardless of what version of Ewers (Jekyll or Hyde) shows up that day (this happened in both the OU & UW games)

3) He also seems to get perceptual narrowing obsessing over the strategy to break down defenses to the point that he loses sight of the overall ebb and flow of the game which is why his clock management always leaves room to be desired and we frequently don't use timeouts when we should have not to mention he does have that Pac-12 go for it on 4th down too often predilection (this part got better as the season wore on)

This is probably the simplest fix in history we just need someone who Sark trusts (see Pete Carroll, Nick Saban) to sit on the sidelines on Game Day as an adviser who can simply walk over and say things like "Hey Sark stop being cute and run the fucking ball" or "you should probably punt/FG here" as well as have timeout calling authority.  Hell I would do it myself for flights, hotel, & per diems if I could get the gig ;-)  That seems like a far more likely pathway to success than trying to convince him to relinquish play calling abilities and actually getting him not to micro manage it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was the connection Sark already had with Saban/Bama that worried some people, not that he'd swap a Blueblood on the rise for another facing a partial rebuild.

He knows what it's like to struggle the first year as a new coach, I don't think he wants to go through that again unless it's the best option available. I think he stays at Texas for a long time unless somehow the wheels fall off for whatever reason.
  • Like 2