Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sure, but have them sign a commitment letter saying they can't decommit if they do choose your school. 

Committing is like a handshake deal. Signing is like accepting the job. 

And you can always quit your job, like they can enter the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Committing is like a handshake deal. Signing is like accepting the job. 

And you can always quit your job, like they can enter the portal.

Yup and just as the portal + NIL together is bad as well. 

Because we all know the recourse will be polar opposite of current state moving forward. It won't be the wild west for long. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So if schools have that autonomy then why need more than 5? Artificial or not 5 was working and I can't think of a reason why more than 5 is needed but I'm all ears if you have reasons. 

There has *literally* never been a justification for 5 which is WHY THERE ISN'T A LIMIT ANYMORE. Your appeal to ignorance is misplaced. 

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sure, but have them sign a commitment letter saying they can't decommit if they do choose your school. 

Outside of the military/some jobs in the federal government, this also doesn't exist in the real world.

This is why signing bonuses and other signing perks exist. However, good luck even enforcing those sometimes. Being a college athlete is becoming more and more like being a free-market employee. Suggesting restrictive actions you wouldn't enforce upon yourself is asinine.

Does this potentially make a coach's job harder? Yes. Cool, that's why they are highly compensated.

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Unlimited visits is a benefit to Texas. All of the recent changes -- NIL, the portal, unlimited official visits, removal of the 25 man counter -- favor the monied programs. We have been playing this game with one hand tied behind our back for decades. No more excuses.

I don't believe it changes the number of official visits for a school - my understanding is that is still capped.

I think this just helps any given recruit take more fully covered, official visits.

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.92ac20ca96105cdd7a7788d9ad8d371d.png

I don't think Ricky's one-hitter was saying that a justification had never been provided, but that the justification was bullshit. And, to be frank, "unfair recruiting advantage" justification is bullshit. How much does an official visit cost? How many official visits would kids have to take before it becomes unaffordable to a smaller school? Recruiting budgets are massive, even at the G5 level. At the point where the difference in available money starts to matter, I don't the "poor" schools are competing for the same athletes as the "rich" schools anyway. 

Edited by Park Gothic
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't think Ricky's one-hitter was saying that a justification had never been provided, but that the justification was bullshit. And, to be frank, "unfair recruiting advantage" justification is bullshit. How much does an official visit cost? How many official visits would kids have to take before it becomes unaffordable to a smaller school? Recruiting budgets are massive, even at the G5 level. At the point where the difference in available money starts to matter, I don't the "poor" schools are competing for the same athletes as the "rich" schools anyway. 

Yeah justify it however you want. The budgets at UTEP isn’t the same as UTSA and isn’t the same at Texas. They’re throwing way too many things way too fast. The recourse will be interesting to see when the schools that hold the cards begin to enact it. But honestly can’t wait until we get to the point where we can just fire a player and remove him from the school because he’s not performing without having to do all this transfer portal leverage shit. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah justify it however you want. The budgets at UTEP isn’t the same as UTSA and isn’t the same at Texas. They’re throwing way too many things way too fast. The recourse will be interesting to see when the schools that hold the cards begin to enact it. But honestly can’t wait until we get to the point where we can just fire a player and remove him from the school because he’s not performing without having to do all this transfer portal leverage shit. 

They have to.  They have no legal grounds to defend these restrictions and they know if pressed in court, they'd lose.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I don't believe it changes the number of official visits for a school - my understanding is that is still capped.

I think this just helps any given recruit take more fully covered, official visits.

This will be the balancing factor. Not every recruit wanting to take an official visit every single weekend will have an equal number of suitors. Only the elite 5 stars will get that treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah! Have them sign a binding commitment of their intent to accept. It should be be recognized nationwide!

Then we can call it something like a National Letter of Intent.

• Haha 6

Justin Wells: Texas QB commit Trey Owens headed to Spring game, leading 2024 class

As soon as Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair quarterback Trey Owens committed to Texas, he instantly transitioned from recruit to recruiter. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound On3 three-star has been a staple in Austin during recruiting events and he’ll be back on Saturday for the Orange-White scrimmage. He’s not just trying to build the 2024 class, he’s watching the development on the field.

“Going in, I know the the defense is supposed to look better because that’s just how spring games work usually, but I really wanna see how well each quarterback plays and how they keep composure,” Owens said.

Texas’ recruiting visitor list is taking shape and Owens intends on building relationships and selling the product. “I don’t know who’s all going to be there but I’m sure I’ll be walking around doing my part,” said Owens. “I’m excited just to be around everyone again, meeting new people, and just being a part of something great and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

“Shoot, I’ll probably just start out with some small talk,” said Owens. “Just become friends because I want them to be comfortable with me.” Houston (Texas) Clear Lake ATH Hunter Moddon is also expected on campus Saturday and it’ll be an opportunity for Owens and Moddon to connect more and plot out the 2024 class.   We wrote about his fit and evaluation earlier this year in the Recruiting Notebook.

How He Fits at Texas: Trey Owens shows a knack for making quick decisions, which is good to see from a kid with the arm strength to reach throws deep down the field. He could develop into a very effective and reliable distributor on play action. Progression passing will need to come on a longer timeline. – Ian Boyd Owens is the No. 407 overall prospect in the 2024 class, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He ranks as the nation’s No. 25 quarterback and the No. 68 junior recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it’s just the spring but how are you a 5 star and you watch the Florida spring game yesterday and be like “championship” let me go ahead and secure my spot 

Yes they have Raymond and the defense didn’t look bad but lord that was awful to watch 

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah justify it however you want. The budgets at UTEP isn’t the same as UTSA and isn’t the same at Texas.

Yeah but they have the built-in advantage of hillside handys and puffy tacos that nobody can compete with….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

Does Trey Owens actually have any clout with the class since he’s not a highly ranked QB. 

Not really. Gerry and IT were discussing this in a video and they said pretty much the only guy with a ton of clout in the state is Collin Simmons. While Micah Hudson is highly rated he’s not in a location HS wise to have a large effect on other recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, D3zii said:

I know it’s just the spring but how are you a 5 star and you watch the Florida spring game yesterday and be like “championship” let me go ahead and secure my spot 

Yes they have Raymond and the defense didn’t look bad but lord that was awful to watch 

Hope they keep sucking

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

Justin Wells: Texas QB commit Trey Owens headed to Spring game, leading 2024 class

In my fantasy world, he's a bigger, taller, stronger Colt McCoy.

I remember when I saw Colt in the basketball championship game in Austin after he'd committed to Texas. It was after football season, obviously, and after an entire basketball season of running up and down the court for Jim Ned and he couldn't have weighed more than 175 .lbs.  I thought "there is no way this waif will ever see a snap at Texas."  Then I saw his dad, who is a large man, and I thought "well ... who knows?"  And then little 'ol three-star Colt McCoy from little 'ol Jim Ned  went on to become perhaps the second best QB we've ever had at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Owens comfortably moves into the top 200-300 lists. BOMC, his position, and he’s going to have a lot of eyeballs on him. If he’s above average as senior, he’ll move up. Does anybody have Cy Fair’s schedule for 2023?  I’d like to catch a couple games at the Berry Center. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Owens comfortably moves into the top 200-300 lists. BOMC, his position, and he’s going to have a lot of eyeballs on him. If he’s above average as senior, he’ll move up. Does anybody have Cy Fair’s schedule for 2023?  I’d like to catch a couple games at the Berry Center.

Edited by Fug
Never mind, google didn’t have the answer

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In my fantasy world, he's a bigger, taller, stronger Colt McCoy.

I remember when I saw Colt in the basketball championship game in Austin after he'd committed to Texas. It was after football season, obviously, and after an entire basketball season of running up and down the court for Jim Ned and he couldn't have weighed more than 175 .lbs.  I thought "there is no way this waif will ever see a snap at Texas."  Then I saw his dad, who is a large man, and I thought "well ... who knows?"  And then little 'ol three-star Colt McCoy from little 'ol Jim Ned  went on to become perhaps the second best QB we've ever had at Texas.

I said the same thing when I met Major Applewhite in high school. The difference is Owens has better natural arm talent than both, remains to be seen if he has the elite mind that can get have him outplay his ranking like Colt and Major.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

https://www.cfisd.net/cms/lib/TX50000664/Centricity/Domain/2324/2023 Varsity Composite Football Schedule by date.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: The Texas football spring game is finally here

Some questions for the spring game:

– Is Ethan Burke legitimately ready to be a starter at the Big 12 level? It’s one thing to look good going against the two’s, but is he at least competitive against Kelvin Banks and/or Christian Jones?

– The intrigue at running back has been one of the more interesting storylines of spring. Are Savion Red and Cedric Baxter going to push for playing time? Or is Jonathan Brooks clearly the alpha?

– Who will Arch Manning complete his first pass to? Oddsmakers in Austin (namely myself) have named Casey Cain the favorite, on a quick out route.

– Quinn Ewers will look physically different today than he did a year ago. He’s gotten himself into better shape and it shows. The question, however, is, has he improved as a QB? Can he get Texas into the right plays, make the right reads from the pocket, and spread the ball around? I highly doubt we get all of those answers today, but answering any of them affirmatively would be a step in the right direction.

– Who starts at corner opposite Ryan Watts? Gavin Holmes and Terrance Brooks are both battling.

– Who is the star of the game? I have two. My picks are the duo of Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat.

– Exactly how much pressure does the trio of Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and AD Mitchell put on a secondary? How open do they get on deep drops from the QB?

A quick recruiting note to pass on: The official visit of Trill Carter, the Minnesota DT who started 30 games for the Golden Gophers, went very well for Texas. Coming into the visit to Texas, Arkansas was the leader over Illinois, Texas and Ohio State.

As expected, Texas made a significant dent in that lead during the visit. However, Carter left Texas and headed to Columbus, Ohio and started his official visit there yesterday. NIL will almost certainly play a factor in this recruitment, and it’ll be interesting to see whether or not Texas prioritizes Carter.

I’m ready for the spring game. So are you. It’s time to get yourself up and get going. For those of you unable to attend, it starts at 1pm and will be televised on LHN.

Bobby’s questions really don’t seem that tough. 

No

They know what they have with Brooks, hence the focus on the other guys. Baxter for sure will get carries. Red mostly depth this year. 

Who cares?

QE’s ready to rock in his contract year.

Doesn’t matter, all three will play a bunch.

It’s the spring game. Probably some 2nd or 3rd teamer that gets everyone excited because they play a bunch of snaps, then we hardly ever see them this fall.

The only truly interesting question. Should be some good battles if they get any snaps against each other. 

Edited by tokamak

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls