Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

chevy-chase.gif

its not the math that is the problem. One can not set the limit at 1-2 edges AND 2-3 jack/Buck. The would be like saying I am only going to get 1-2 dogs and 2-3 Huskies/Beagles.

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

its not the math that is the problem. One can not set the limit at 1-2 edges AND 2-3 jack/Buck. The would be like saying I am only going to get 1-2 dogs and 2-3 Huskies/Beagles.

This still sounds suspiciously like set theory which is clearly math. But before we start an argument about what is and isn't math, I was just making a joke. Stop making me count things. 

Edited by Park Gothic
and also it's EDGE not edge

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who is our top interior prospect not named Cruz?

Cruz, Saina (sp?), and Brooks

Ivy is being recruited as a center and we like Cruz so he was essentially passed on, still a very good prospect.  Saina has big time offers and his HUDL is him just mauling and pancaking people.  Gerry says Brooks is severely underrated and expects him to get a bump. 

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This still sounds suspiciously like set theory which is clearly math. But before we start an argument about what is and isn't math, I was just making a joke. Stop making me count things. 

EDGE= Jack + Buck. 

so Jack + Buck can not be more than EDGE. 

That better? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who is saying that that dude is visiting this weekend? That would be great and all, but I thought that one was down to Oregon vs. Georgia since he's interested in going OOS.

Think this is the Cali LB. The kid out of Oak Ridge is Justin Williams maybe?

Confirmed:

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-williams-46118415/

https://247sports.com/player/justin-williams-46113777/

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who is saying that that dude is visiting this weekend? That would be great and all, but I thought that one was down to Oregon vs. Georgia since he's interested in going OOS.

One of my buddies that is involved with all of this told me at the time of Mahomes' recruitment that he was going to be a first round NFL draft pick and a star. I mocked him for it. He said similar shit about Jevan Snead once upon a time and I compared it to the Mahomes stuff. He's thrown the Mahomes call in my face 1000 times since. Some guys in the space, at least, really do know what they're doing.

Everyone should start working under the assumption that Texas isn't going to land Simmons and they're going to limit who they take at Edge in this cycle. They're looking for something elite or for someone unexpected to break their way.

They could have taken a commitment from an Edge this past weekend and soft-pedaled it in an effort to buy more time. Edge is also not like DT with the portal and they're going to be aggressive on that front if they can be. Beyond that, they have a ton of Edge guys and, irrespective of what experts here believe, they do not expect Edge to be a weakness over the next few years. That is, in part, predicated upon the notion that they're going to have elite secondary and linebacking crews. 

As far as DT, they're going to load up and they are on some guys that folks in the recruiting space think are criminally underrated. Like, should be a borderline 4/5* type and are currently ranked in the middling 3* range. There are like 4 or 5 of those guys specifically at DT that fall into that bucket. They do not expect to win much out of the portal at DT. The plan is to let something like 10 guys on the roster fight for 6-7 spots heading into the SEC, no matter how they acquire them.

You guys need to quit worrying about the fucking numbers, nonetheless. It's like a pathology for a few of you.

Gerry has been shooting this from the roof tops. Mentioned D'antre Robinson as an example.. He is a 3 star, but has already had visits to Florida, OSU, and Georgia (at Texas this weekend). That is not a 3 star agenda

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my buddies that is involved with all of this told me at the time of Mahomes' recruitment that he was going to be a first round NFL draft pick and a star. I mocked him for it. He said similar shit about Jevan Snead once upon a time and I compared it to the Mahomes stuff. He's thrown the Mahomes call in my face 1000 times since. Some guys in the space, at least, really do know what they're doing.

I had a friend in high school who played JV with Drew Brees. He wouldn't shut the fuck up about how great he was going to be, and we consistently told him "Look man, I'm sure this JV QB friend of yours is great and all, but please shut the fuck up about him. Let me know when he takes a varsity snap."

Yeah that was thrown back at us a couple of times or 50.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gerry has been shooting this from the roof tops. Mentioned D'antre Robinson as an example.. He is a 3 star, but has already had visits to Florida, OSU, and Georgia (at Texas this weekend). That is not a 3 star agenda

I saw that Florida has 22DL on its roster. It seems like that should be sufficient.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I had a friend in high school who played JV with Drew Brees. He wouldn't shut the fuck up about how great he was going to be, and we consistently told him "Look man, I'm sure this JV QB friend of yours is great and all, but please shut the fuck up about him. Let me know when he takes a varsity snap."

Yeah that was thrown back at us a couple of times or 50.

I saw Brees once in HS and he had a whip. I went to see whether or not Texas was recruiting him later in the year when the papers started talking about recruiting and finding what I could on what the Internet was at the time. Didn't seem like anybody wanted him. I was like "well, I guess I don't know jack shit, then." I forget the story about why Texas didn't wind up landing Brees. I assume his height was the problem but don't know for sure.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I saw Brees once in HS and he had a whip. I went to see whether or not Texas was recruiting him later in the year when the papers started talking about recruiting and finding what I could on what the Internet was at the time. Didn't seem like anybody wanted him. I was like "well, I guess I don't know jack shit, then." I forget the story about why Texas didn't wind up landing Brees. I assume his height was the problem but don't know for sure.

He had a knee injury that was part of it. That was also when recruiting 6'0" white QBs wasn't really done. Or black ones too I guess.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He had a knee injury that was part of it. That was also when recruiting 6'0" white QBs wasn't really done. Or black ones too I guess.

Major was also pretty short, and about the same class. The knee injury was what did it. ACL tears were far more devastating in those days

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Major was also pretty short, and about the same class. The knee injury was what did it. ACL tears were far more devastating in those days

Major was an anomaly, and a pretty bizarre one at the time. "So he's a short immobile white guy with a mediocre arm? That can't be right."

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I recall we recruited him as a safety. 

• Haha 4

I don't think I'd give anyone too much grief over predicting big things from Snead. Dude was 2 or 3x all state. 1st team all American. Lit up the Army all American game. Very impressive at Elite 11 camp. I think Tebow was UF's backup plan and didn't come into the fold until Snead flipped to us.

7 hours ago, Codaxx said:

He also said he was not worried about losing Hudson. Mentioned Wingo and Sark's ability to get WR talent out of the portal and the fact that even talents like Cook and Hudson can not come in and start over guys like Neyor (if healthy) and AD Mitchell. He also said Hudson is a very good player and will likely be a draft pick, but he did not consider him to be a special player. 

Yeah, I would certainly like Hudson to be in our class, but he’s currently listed  as a composite top 10 prospect in the country. I don’t see that at all. I expect he will drop as we get further in the process. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1-2 edge, 2-3 jack/buck, 3-4 DT

That's 7-9 right there

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I played against Brees in high school and he absolutely strafed us. The most accurate QB I have ever seen in person. He was so small, when I got to him I literally flipped him on a sideline run, but the problem was you just never could get there because he had an enormous line and he dropped 12 yards back. I knew he was going to be awesome for some school but wasnt sure if his size would be an issue for the major teams. 

Going back to Mahomes, I did call that he was going to be a star going into the draft over Deshaun Watson and whoever else, but I could not have made that call coming out of high school. I have always had a bit of a sixth sense on QB scouting. I can call busts from a mile away and generally hit on the good QBs with fairly good frequency, but its not scientific, it is all feel.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Isn’t using an axe as a prop for a Stanford edit kind of like using a cattle emasculator as a prop for a Texas edit?

Nah, it’s called the “Stanfurd Axe”.  Furd chopped some Cal effigy in 18 something or other and Cal students stole it from them soon after.  Rivalry trophy born.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls