Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

39 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I always love how fans forgot Texas was signing a top 5 class after a 5-7 abortion. I bitch about recruiting misses, but it isnt representative of the results. Texas has recruited amazingly well for a team that has averaged 7 wins over the last 4 years. He should be impressed with Texas's recruiting efforts. 

Yeah but the rankings were a bit deceitful and are similar to how A&M's last few classes have been. Totally carried by 1 or 2 position groups while others completely suffer. 

Our problem has always been development and we finally have a staff who can develop it seems so that is huge for us when pairing with those classes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Scott Frost tangent is making me laugh for two reasons. First, that shit is hilarious. Someone find the Tim Brando tweets and more hagiographies on the guy. Second, the recruiting purists have just nearly shamed the thread into steering back on topic and away from Charleston and now it’s Frosty the Closet-hider-man time. 

@SydneyCarton

Anybody care to remind me about this again? Something about Philips looking for Frost? 

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That dude also raged for a year that Deandre Moore was bread and a spare and it seems like Moore is complete opposite.

He's part of the recruiting message board hive mind that sees everything through that lens with years of moldy buildup in his brain. He's also incredibly annoying. He's the type of guy that thought Brian Kelly hire would fail because of "cultural fit" before the guy even coached a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If you've ever listened to their Livestream you know that IT is infested with morons. 

If I have to hear one more question about the lack of 5star DTs and Bo Davis im going to walk into oncoming traffic.

its actually getting funny. Gerry is getting more and more annoyed with the question. I am really hoping he just snaps at some pt. 

• Haha 1

As long as we are venting about IT posters, Nahlin wrote something last year about "pants pissers" and now every other post feels compelled to reuse it. 

Best analogy to it I can come up with is when Trump (no CR) would refer to Covid as the "China virus" and his supporters adopted it, presumably as a way to self-identify to each other.  Except in IT's case it reeks of sycophancy, a phenomenon I've observed at all the pay sites for their mods.  I'm not sure what favors someone like Ketch or Liucci have available to bestow, maybe it's just the validation of an occasional shout out.  Either way it's always struck me as very weird. 

37 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If I have to hear one more question about the lack of 5star DTs and Bo Davis im going to walk into oncoming traffic.

OB is really pushing this narrative so I'm sure that is where it is spreading from. Ketchum claimed yesterday that he talked to someone "inside the building" and people are frustrated with Bo Davis' recruiting and the lack of 5 stars. When Suchomel pointed that there are a very small number of 5-star interior DL per cycle, Ketchum pretty much just ignored his comment and kept rambling on. It was kinda funny and sad at the same time. But this is coming from the site 7 months ago that said the only surprise when it comes to Xavier Worthy would be if he was wearing a Texas uniform this season.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

OB is really pushing this narrative so I'm sure that is where it is spreading from. Ketchum claimed yesterday that he talked to someone "inside the building" and people are frustrated with Bo Davis' recruiting and the lack of 5 stars. When Suchomel pointed that there are a very small number of 5-star interior DL per cycle, Ketchum pretty much just ignored his comment and kept rambling on. It was kinda funny and sad at the same time.

@TheMailBox357 is a fat fucking idiot. Dude is trying to push his super blue chip bullshit too. If any of these dumb assholes cared to look at offers and official visits of the guys we've landed then they'd realize these guys are probably pretty fucking good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@TheMailBox357 is a fat fucking idiot. Dude is trying to push his super blue chip bullshit too. If any of these dumb assholes cared to look at offers and official visits of the guys we've landed then they'd realize these guys are probably pretty fucking good. 

Gerry point this out.

January- Texas over LSU

Hills- Texas over Ole Miss

Robinson- Texas over Florida

McKinley- Texas, LSU, A&M, OU

Lindsey- Texas or Auburn

Hibbeler- Miss State over Texas and Bama

Blocton- Auburn over Texas

It's funny to see people say DL recruiting isn't "SEC good" when we find ourselves continually battling and beating.....SEC programs.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Little known fact, that September 1, 2018, aka "Scott Frost Day," actually checks in as the highest number of calls to 911 ever recorded in the entire history of the state of Nebraska for a single day. Almost all of them were domestic violence cases, although there were plenty of calls about suspicous "little bitch" types lurking and skulking around people's property. It seems there was just a rash of infidelity, often among neighbors, where the perpetrators end up being caught, the men fled, and the women just had the shit kicked out of them by husbands and boyfriends. I believe there were over 900 calls to Nebraska's emergency service lines by women begging for help against the abuse, or stangely the cucked bragging about their crimes and strangely telling the cops they were going to find the "pasty bitch" responsible and rip his head clean off. 

Tom Osborne called in one of his last political favors to claim the cancelling of the Akron and Nebraska game was due to inclement weather, but the reality is that no one could actually find Scott Frost until 4 days after September 1st. It was on September 5th that a janitor inside Memorial Stadium was cleaning when Frost just tumbled out of a storage closet, whimpering in his piss stained pants, amidst a pile of old mops hermetically sealed program guides from the 1971 football season. The Janitor called the athletic department, Frost was whisked away, and then went on to lose his first 6 straight games as the head coach of Nebraska.

But almost no one speaks of Scott Frost Day, and those that do in hushed tones often refer to it as something much more ominous: Larwence Phillips Day. 

What The Hell Seriously GIF by Travis

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It was on September 5th that a janitor inside Memorial Stadium was cleaning when Frost just tumbled out of a storage closet, whimpering in his piss stained pants, amidst a pile of old mops hermetically sealed program guides from the 1971 football season. 

I thought this was Pelini!  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

If you've ever listened to their Livestream you know that IT is infested with morons. 

SO you're saying their livestream is just Codaxx talking to himself in different make-believe voices?

29 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I thought this was Pelini!  😂😂😂

Nebraska traditions start somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

As long as we are venting about IT posters, Nahlin wrote something last year about "pants pissers" and now every other post feels compelled to reuse it. 

Best analogy to it I can come up with is when Trump (no CR) would refer to Covid as the "China virus" and his supporters adopted it, presumably as a way to self-identify to each other.  Except in IT's case it reeks of sycophancy, a phenomenon I've observed at all the pay sites for their mods.  I'm not sure what favors someone like Ketch or Liucci have available to bestow, maybe it's just the validation of an occasional shout out.  Either way it's always struck me as very weird. 

Until you can show me some evidence of this, I'm from Missouri. 

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

As you know, Burton has become the de facto YouTube/Livestream guy, and he and Gerry often provide some good content. Even @Wulaw Horn gets in on the party by subsidizing Scipio’s chats with Bobby. No issues there (DM Wulaw for a great mortgage or smelly sex van trip to Arkansas).

Much of the problem occurs with these fucking “superchats,” in which someone tosses a dollar amount at the guys and they feel compelled to answer the damn thing, no matter how inane or repetitive. And they now have a dude named “Blake” running the show (I guess he used to work for 247 or something) and though he seems like a nice guy (I don’t want to shit on a kid trying his best), the editorial decisions aren’t always the best (again, often driven by who’s contributed $2.99 or some other amount… you get your shitty question answered). 

That’s why there’s so many “Why does Bo Davis suck at recruiting?” or “What’s the best position group?” questions. And there’s a lot. I watch because Hamilton is a no-sleep maniac who works his ass off and knows a lot.

(Oh yeah, regarding IT posters, they are the biggest bunch of chicken littles I’ve ever seen, constantly bemoaning the fate of the program. I can see why Nahlin sometimes gets passive aggressive [he does], understanding he has to cater to these whiners while accepting their money. And inflation has hit the $9.95 world, they are offering a $10 a month special at IT… I’ve only done the $1 for four months. It expires next week, so I’ll need BO&W’s updates after that 🤣.)

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

As you know, Burton has become the de facto YouTube/Livestream guy, and he and Gerry often provide some good content. Even @Wulaw Horn gets in on the party by subsidizing Scipio’s chats with Bobby. No issues there (DM Wulaw for a great mortgage or smelly sex van trip to Arkansas).

Much of the problem occurs with these fucking “superchats,” in which someone tosses a dollar amount at the guys and they feel compelled to answer the damn thing, no matter how inane or repetitive. And they now have a dude named “Blake” running the show (I guess he used to work for 247 or something) and though he seems like a nice guy (I don’t want to shit on a kid trying his best), the editorial decisions aren’t always the best (again, often driven by who’s contributed $2.99 or some other amount… you get your shitty question answered). 

That’s why there’s so many “Why does Bo Davis suck at recruiting?” or “What’s the best position group?” questions. And there’s a lot. I watch because Hamilton is a no-sleep maniac who works his ass off and knows a lot.

(Oh yeah, regarding IT posters, they are the biggest bunch of chicken littles I’ve ever seen, constantly bemoaning the fate of the program. I can see why Nahlin sometimes gets passive aggressive [he does], understanding he has to cater to these whiners while accepting their money. And inflation has hit the $9.95 world, they are offering a $10 a month special at IT… I’ve only done the $1 for four months. It expires next week, so I’ll need BO&W’s updates after that 🤣.)

I think the DL questions should be expected. You have to be living under a rock, not to realize Texas needs to restock the DT room with this class. Throw in the fact that Texas has not gotten anyone highly rated, it has star watchers freaking out. Robinson was a huge get, but largely under-appreciated. Texas definitely could use 1 more with potential to help immediately. The annoying question is the "why are they struggling with 5 star DL". It like asking why IT followers struggle to bang Super Models. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think the DL questions should be expected. You have to be living under a rock, not to realize Texas needs to restock the DT room with this class. Throw in the fact that Texas has not gotten anyone highly rated, it has star watchers freaking out. Robinson was a huge get, but largely under-appreciated. Texas definitely could use 1 more with potential to help immediately. The annoying question is the "why are they struggling with 5 star DL". It like asking why IT followers struggle to bang Super Models. 

Well no shit Codaxx, that's why they're still hot after Lindsey and McKinley.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

When Suchomel pointed that there are a very small number of 5-star interior DL per cycle, Ketchum pretty much just ignored his comment and kept rambling on.

In Ketch's defense, this exchange took place exactly 4 hours before the buffet opened, and he was rushing so he could be first in line.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That dude also raged for a year that Deandre Moore was bread and a spare and it seems like Moore is complete opposite.

When I read stuff over this, this guy is constantly condescending other posters and portraying himself as super connected. I can certainly support that, but he seems wrong, a lot, and like a pretty big handwringer. For those of you that are regulars over there, what is this guy's story?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When I read stuff over this, this guy is constantly condescending other posters and portraying himself as super connected. I can certainly support that, but he seems wrong, a lot, and like a pretty big handwringer. For those of you that are regulars over there, what is this guy's story?

Imagine if satya and codaxx had a baby mixed with future man’s ability to not call shots 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not a regular regular, but I have noticed the dude posts a lot, seemingly with great confidence, and he gets called out quite a bit. As noted above, he was very critical of the Moore take, and when it was evident during the spring this kid could  likely contribute as a true freshman, the other posters shoved it up his ass with great glee. My assumption is he’s the kinda dude when schadenfreude hits, you do the groundskeeper in Rudy satisfied hand clap. @LTtxfan will probably do us a solid and post that gif posthaste 🤣.

• Haha 2

Does this seem right in terms of remaining uncommitted targets?

QB (1 committed): Done

RB (2 committed): Done

WR (3 committed if you count Hampton): Hudson, Wingo, Bussey (?, longshot anyway)

TE (1 committed): Probably done

OL (2 committed): DeAndre Carter, Brandon Baker, Blake Ivy, Ory Williams

DL (3 committed): TJ Lindsey, Dominick McKinley

Edge (0 committed): Simmons, Umeozulu, Okoye, Solomon Williams, Nigel Smith

LB (0 committed): ?

CB (1 committed): Kobe Black, Wardell Mack

S (1 committed): Joshua Lair

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

WR (3 committed if you count Hampton): Hudson, Wingo, Bussey (?, longshot anyway)

OL (2 committed): DeAndre Carter, Brandon Baker, Blake Ivy, Ory Williams, TBD (If they miss on Ory, they will circle back on someone)

14 minutes ago, Kwix said:

First Half GIF

I thought about leaving the rest of the sentence out simply for the humor of both those who get it and those who would climb over themselves to tell me how much self-awareness I lack.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Texas has had numerous opportunities to really push for Bussey and they haven't. It will be chalked up as a recruiting loss, and I'm the first to call those out as legitimate when they happen, but this one is more of an eye-roller, similar to their "win" with Dre'lon Miller.

On OL, there is a higher likelihood in this cycle than others that they add other candidates in the fall.

See OL when it comes to LB. 

There is a high amount of confidence that they can get high quality players at DB and WR in the portals, I don't think there will be newcomers to those groups. You did leave out the CB Juco guy though and they are clearly interested in him.

• Hook 'Em 4

So, here's a note Wiltfong posted on the LSU board.  Includes comments on Ory Williams, Simmons, Mack, McKinley and Ivy.  Normally, such notes preceding a visit, tend to be fluffers for the host school.  This is not much of one ... and remember CTJ's comment on analysts sticking with their pick 🙂 🙂 .

LSU in strong shape for several top targets entering BK Bayou Splash recruiting weekend
News, notes and buzz regarding the Tigers from the trail.

Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

LSU in strong shape for several top targets entering BK Bayou Splash recruiting weekend

Steve Wiltfong

LSU, with 19 commits, entered Tuesday with the No. 13 class in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings for the 2024 cycle. The Tigers are in good position for several more.

On Tuesday morning, I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast in favor of LSU to ultimately land a coveted target.

Entering this weekend's BK Bayou Splash in Baton Rouge, the Tigers appear to be the favorites in a race that includes Florida, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

Massive offensive tackle Ory Williams out of San Marcos (Texas) High is closing in on a college decision and, heading into the BK Bayou Splash, LSU looks like the one to beat there. As mentioned above, the Gators, Cowboys and Aggies are the other finalists for the 6-foot-8, 285-pound Williams.

In addition to Williams, I love where the Tigers stand with Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater Top247 cornerback Cai Bates, who will make his college decision on Wednesday. The buzz around the Tigers has been strong since he took an official visit the weekend of June 23. Alabama, Florida State and Tennessee are three others he’s had eyes on. 247Sports tabs Bates as the No. 9 cornerback in the country.

LSU will see a few more top targets in the 2024 class this weekend.

My 247Sports Crystal Ball has been on LSU for over year regarding Duncanville (Texas) High five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons, who on film was as disruptive a player in the country last fall in the 2024 cycle. There has been a lot of Texas buzz of late for Simmons (a couple sources saying the Longhorns are the ones to beat), but I know he and his family loved their last experience on the Tigers campus in April for the spring game, the culture around the campus speaks to them, and Brian Kelly and his staff are going to have them back all weekend to continue building on the good vibes they’ve all had in the past. I’m sticking with the Tigers on the Crystal Ball and waiting to see how the weekend goes. LSU has never been far from the top of the list here, and the Tigers also have their official visit in play down the road if Simmons chooses to take it.

While I’m not sure exactly how I feel about the confidence in my Simmons prediction in favor of LSU, I do still like the prediction in favor of the Tigers for his Duncanville teammate in dynamic Top247 running back Caden Durham. Durham has been LSU’s No. 1 target at the position and he’s certainly felt like a priority. Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are a few of the others he’s keen on. Durham also had a great visit to the Tigers campus back in the spring.

Frank Wilson is leading the charge in recruiting Durham and Simmons for LSU.

I liked LSU early for in-state Top247 defensive back Wardell Mack. Texas has picked up steam in that recruitment, Florida State is in there, but the Tigers will try and find momentum getting him back for the BK Bayou Splash.

Get the latest football and basketball transfer portal news from 247Sports.

In-state five-star Dominick McKinley and Top247 offensive tackle Blake Ivy are also expected this weekend in the 2024 class. LSU has always been considered a strong contender for McKinley and with Ivy they’ll aim to make a move on Texas A&M.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So, here's a note Wiltfong posted on the LSU board.  Includes comments on Ory Williams, Simmons, Mack, McKinley and Ivy.  Normally, such notes preceding a visit, tend to be fluffers for the host school.  This is not much of one ... and remember CTJ's comment on analysts sticking with their pick 🙂 🙂 .

Steve Wiltfong

Hide contents

Steve Wiltfong

LSU, with 19 commits, entered Tuesday with the No. 13 class in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings for the 2024 cycle. The Tigers are in good position for several more.

On Tuesday morning, I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast in favor of LSU to ultimately land a coveted target.

Entering this weekend's BK Bayou Splash in Baton Rouge, the Tigers appear to be the favorites in a race that includes Florida, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

Massive offensive tackle Ory Williams out of San Marcos (Texas) High is closing in on a college decision and, heading into the BK Bayou Splash, LSU looks like the one to beat there. As mentioned above, the Gators, Cowboys and Aggies are the other finalists for the 6-foot-8, 285-pound Williams.

In addition to Williams, I love where the Tigers stand with Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater Top247 cornerback Cai Bates, who will make his college decision on Wednesday. The buzz around the Tigers has been strong since he took an official visit the weekend of June 23. Alabama, Florida State and Tennessee are three others he’s had eyes on. 247Sports tabs Bates as the No. 9 cornerback in the country.

LSU will see a few more top targets in the 2024 class this weekend.

My 247Sports Crystal Ball has been on LSU for over year regarding Duncanville (Texas) High five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons, who on film was as disruptive a player in the country last fall in the 2024 cycle. There has been a lot of Texas buzz of late for Simmons (a couple sources saying the Longhorns are the ones to beat), but I know he and his family loved their last experience on the Tigers campus in April for the spring game, the culture around the campus speaks to them, and Brian Kelly and his staff are going to have them back all weekend to continue building on the good vibes they’ve all had in the past. I’m sticking with the Tigers on the Crystal Ball and waiting to see how the weekend goes. LSU has never been far from the top of the list here, and the Tigers also have their official visit in play down the road if Simmons chooses to take it.

While I’m not sure exactly how I feel about the confidence in my Simmons prediction in favor of LSU, I do still like the prediction in favor of the Tigers for his Duncanville teammate in dynamic Top247 running back Caden Durham. Durham has been LSU’s No. 1 target at the position and he’s certainly felt like a priority. Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are a few of the others he’s keen on. Durham also had a great visit to the Tigers campus back in the spring.

Frank Wilson is leading the charge in recruiting Durham and Simmons for LSU.

I liked LSU early for in-state Top247 defensive back Wardell Mack. Texas has picked up steam in that recruitment, Florida State is in there, but the Tigers will try and find momentum getting him back for the BK Bayou Splash.

Get the latest football and basketball transfer portal news from 247Sports.

In-state five-star Dominick McKinley and Top247 offensive tackle Blake Ivy are also expected this weekend in the 2024 class. LSU has always been considered a strong contender for McKinley and with Ivy they’ll aim to make a move on Texas A&M.

The dude didn't even care enough to proofread this one before posting it. Almost feels like it was written as an obligation. Florida, not FSU, is the biggest threat to UT and LSU for Mack. 

And to your point about my point, this is the second time in a week that Wiltfong has come out, unprompted, to explain his crystal ball to LSU regarding Simmons.

McKinley and his family are visiting LSU simply to keep all of the local idiots out of their shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls