Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t know what difference Patterson did or didn’t make, but I’m sure that having a great defensive mind like that giving input was a good thing. Hope he’ll re-join the staff.

A 5 month rental every fall would be perfect. 

I suspect he did great job getting defensive staff working together. 2022 the front and back-end seemed to be on the same page for the most part. Brought in his preferred coverage, which tightened up the CBs and was successful (with some early season growing pains). His experience, presence, and game planning would always be a plus. I want him back, but it seems likely that the ROI will decline on Patterson over time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I suspect he did great job getting defensive staff working together. 2022 the front and back-end seemed to be on the same page for the most part. Brought in his preferred coverage, which tightened up the CBs and was successful (with some early season growing pains). His experience, presence, and game planning would always be a plus. I want him back, but it seems likely that the ROI will decline on Patterson over time. 

From what I've read, he also gave Sark and PK a little more insight into how the Big 12 works and how the long-standing coaches think. He also scouted our offense for weaknesses. I would love to have him back.

He'll always be sweaty Gare to me and I still kinda hate him. But I have to acknowledge his expertise. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

From what I've read, he also gave Sark and PK a little more insight into how the Big 12 works and how the long-standing coaches think. He also scouted our offense for weaknesses. I would love to have him back.

He'll always be sweaty Gare to me and I still kinda hate him. But I have to acknowledge his expertise. 

Agree. Just saying the big return was in year 1. He certainly helped address the big issues.  I always want someone like Gary as an analyst, but I would not be upset if Sark replaced him with a similar defensive mind with a SEC background next year. That is the real benefit of high profile analysts. You keep bringing in quality minds that add a few different things to keep the staff from getting stale. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247) on LSU/Texas targets that are at their recruiting event today through the weekend.  Includes Simmons, Mack, McKinley, Ivy.

Where I stand heading into Bayou Splash

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

Spoiler

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

Targets

5-star edge Colin Simmons

Texas narrowed the lead LSU held before his official visit in Austin but another multi-day stay in Baton Rouge – second in three months – should help quell some concerns. I don’t think there is any question the Horns made a move with Simmons, just like you knew they would. However, I felt LSU was still the team to beat before this trip.

4-star running back Caden Durham

Like Simmons, this will be Durham’s second multi-day trip to Baton Rouge in a short span since he took his official visit to Oklahoma in the middle of June. Frank Wilson could not ask for a better setup to close the deal with a commitment announcement scheduled for Aug. 25. I think he does just that.

5-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley

D-line coach Jimmy Lindsey needed to get McKinley back on campus since he did not visit in June. Official visits to Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas dominated his calendar last month, with the Longhorns enjoying the most momentum. Things, however, have picked up with LSU, making it crucial the staff builds on that with him and his mom on campus.

4-star safety Wardell Mack

Mack and the aforementioned McKinley are the lone two uncommitted prospects inside the top 10 in Louisiana on 247Sports. The other eight are all on board with the Tigers. Texas and Florida are the main two to watch, but I like how things have trended with LSU the last few weeks, especially considering the staff still has an official visit in its back pocket whereas the Longhorns and Gators do not. As of Thursday afternoon, our Florida site still expects Mack at Florida’s cookout on Saturday that gets underway late in the afternoon.

4-star interior offensive lineman Blake Ivy

You get the feeling Ivy is close to deciding if he makes it to Baton Rouge Friday, then turns around and goes to Texas A&M’s pool party the following day. I had Ivy pegged to commit to the Aggies ahead of his senior season after official visits in College Station, Austin and Baton Rouge on successive weekends last month. I still feel A&M has the inside track over the Tigers and Texas.

3-star offensive tackle Ory Williams

I still feel good about that crystal ball I put in on Williams for LSU and I don’t think he takes much longer before he renders a commitment. The official visit on the third weekend in June put the Tigers in a great spot, and that was the last trip he took before the dead period to end the month.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I do. And he does this same stupid shit, wearing a fucking beanie and a hoodie in fucking July in Austin.

Do kids these days not sweat just standing around?  I wouldn't last 10min in a hoodie today

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I can’t necessarily defend a hoodie, but long sleeves allegedly can help keep you cooler than short sleeves. Here’s a long ass article why landscapers wear long sleeves.

https://landscapingplanet.com/this-is-why-landscapers-wear-long-sleeves/

I always assumed it was so they didn't get sun burnt. I'll let the landscapers keep the long sleeves in this weather. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Is Owens uh a ...squinter?

I would certainly hope not—er, you said squinter? Well, I suppose that is kind of a negative. Better than the other, for sure, when talking about QBs, that is. I hope he finds one of those too though. Just be prepared, youngster. You’ll surely be a squinter if you aren’t.

18 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Who knows how much he has truly contributed?  My favorite reason to have Patterson on staff is that it means he isn't helping some other team scheme against us...presumably.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, idigTexas said:

Who knows how much he has truly contributed?  My favorite reason to have Patterson on staff is that it means he isn't helping some other team scheme against us...presumably.  

I like his personality on the sidelines contrasting to Sarkisian's. You need someone who will scream at the officials....Sark needs to actually work on working the refs more.

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think you saw it with the coverage change. That was right out of Patterson's play book. Rest of the stuff is straight speculation. It always good to have guys like Patterson and Chryst around. I would love to have a rotation of ex-coaches of that ilk filing through Texas. Unfortunately, the opportunity to bring in that kind of talent does not show up every year or 2. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Getafix said:

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247) on LSU/Texas targets that are at their recruiting event today through the weekend.  Includes Simmons, Mack, McKinley, Ivy.

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

Hide contents

Sonny Shipp (LSU 247)

Targets

5-star edge Colin Simmons

Texas narrowed the lead LSU held before his official visit in Austin but another multi-day stay in Baton Rouge – second in three months – should help quell some concerns. I don’t think there is any question the Horns made a move with Simmons, just like you knew they would. However, I felt LSU was still the team to beat before this trip.

4-star running back Caden Durham

Like Simmons, this will be Durham’s second multi-day trip to Baton Rouge in a short span since he took his official visit to Oklahoma in the middle of June. Frank Wilson could not ask for a better setup to close the deal with a commitment announcement scheduled for Aug. 25. I think he does just that.

5-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley

D-line coach Jimmy Lindsey needed to get McKinley back on campus since he did not visit in June. Official visits to Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas dominated his calendar last month, with the Longhorns enjoying the most momentum. Things, however, have picked up with LSU, making it crucial the staff builds on that with him and his mom on campus.

4-star safety Wardell Mack

Mack and the aforementioned McKinley are the lone two uncommitted prospects inside the top 10 in Louisiana on 247Sports. The other eight are all on board with the Tigers. Texas and Florida are the main two to watch, but I like how things have trended with LSU the last few weeks, especially considering the staff still has an official visit in its back pocket whereas the Longhorns and Gators do not. As of Thursday afternoon, our Florida site still expects Mack at Florida’s cookout on Saturday that gets underway late in the afternoon.

4-star interior offensive lineman Blake Ivy

You get the feeling Ivy is close to deciding if he makes it to Baton Rouge Friday, then turns around and goes to Texas A&M’s pool party the following day. I had Ivy pegged to commit to the Aggies ahead of his senior season after official visits in College Station, Austin and Baton Rouge on successive weekends last month. I still feel A&M has the inside track over the Tigers and Texas.

3-star offensive tackle Ory Williams

I still feel good about that crystal ball I put in on Williams for LSU and I don’t think he takes much longer before he renders a commitment. The official visit on the third weekend in June put the Tigers in a great spot, and that was the last trip he took before the dead period to end the month.

Welp, that didn't age well. 

• Like 1

- It has seemed like Florida was the primary competition for Mack;  his canceling the LSU trip seems to confirm that.

- W/ Florida, their mods/randos say that Corey Raymond has three CBs he prefers to Mack - Grimsley, Howard and Mincey.

- Grimsley's committed to Bama, so would have to be a flip.  Howard just canceled his Fla trip - he's done that before - so he may not be interested.  And Mincey's far from a lock.  Also, Napier supposedly likes Mack.

- So yeah, LSU's fading, but Florida may increase their push for Mack, and he's supposed to be there this weekend.

So we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- It has seemed like Florida was the primary competition for Mack;  his canceling the LSU trip seems to confirm that.

- W/ Florida, their mods/randos say that Corey Raymond has three CBs he prefers to Mack - Grimsley, Howard and Mincey.

- Grimsley's committed to Bama, so would have to be a flip.  Howard just canceled his Fla trip - he's done that before - so he may not be interested.  And Mincey's far from a lock.  Also, Napier supposedly likes Mack.

- So yeah, LSU's fading, but Florida may increase their push for Mack, and he's supposed to be there this weekend.

So we'll see.

IT's been pushing the line that Mack prefers UF, but his family prefers UT. Let's hope Napier insults his mom's cooking.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, texifornia said:

IT's been pushing the line that Mack prefers UF, but his family prefers UT. Let's hope Napier insults his mom's cooking.

Let’s hope IT is as accurate with that, “Mack prefers Florida,” info as they were with their Gipson intel. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls