Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

We need Baker so badly. Landing him would be incredible.

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, but only 11 of the composite top 100 are uncommitted right now. Three of those guys are Baker, Wingo, and Black (Terry Bussey as well). This is a big reason why a good season will affect 2025 more than this year.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

At 5'10" 175lbs, that doesn't seem ideal. Perhaps he can gain 30lbs and look like Catalon, but I'm not even sure that is what we are looking for. Maybe we like the younger guys or move corners who can't make it there or bring in transfers, I'm not sure. It seems like we would want to maybe go for the 6'4" JUCO corner, Sione Laulea, and try to move him. But that's probably just dumb recruitnik thinking.

What does Ian Boyd have to say on position recommendations for the two of them? 
Just kidding…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

At 5'10" 175lbs, that doesn't seem ideal. Perhaps he can gain 30lbs and look like Catalon, but I'm not even sure that is what we are looking for. Maybe we like the younger guys or move corners who can't make it there or bring in transfers, I'm not sure. It seems like we would want to maybe go for the 6'4" JUCO corner, Sione Laulea, and try to move him. But that's probably just dumb recruitnik thinking.

I don't think anyone really understands what they're thinking with respect to Hampton. Is he a S? Maybe. That's being put out there. Is he a WR? Maybe. That's been put out there. Should he be a part of this class? They apparently think so. I'm still rooting for him to decide to go elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, thepop said:

The sudden influx of crystal balls would support that.

the crystal balls are the dumbest thing ever because they never get used the way they were setup to be - predictions.  like i don't know, a crystal ball.  but since they started tracking performance, most people don't even put in a prediction until the answer is almost a certainty.  like when a dude is announcing at 3pm and suddenly at 2:40pm about 6 predictions come in. 

Juking the Stats. Engineering Lessons from HBO's The Wire | by Roshan  Revankar | Medium

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think anyone really understands what they're thinking with respect to Hampton. Is he a S? Maybe. That's being put out there. Is he a WR? Maybe. That's been put out there. Should he be a part of this class? They apparently think so. I'm still rooting for him to decide to go elsewhere.

I've been wondering about this ever since he committed or recommitted, whatever the actual chain of events.  If we keep taking care of business, his commitment seems more like a drag than a worthy addition.  Wouldn't we gladly trade him for someone like, say, Lair?  And I may be selling our class short with Lair, too.  

Flipping Ryan Williams and having him reclassify to 2024 would make for an amazing WR haul.  It'd be like the 2017 Bama haul.

Williams & Wingo will be our *Ruggs & Jeudy, while Parker Livingstone will be our Devonta Smith. 

Then, toss in Freddie DuBose for good measure.

*without the whole reckless driving manslaughter conviction

Edited by Hornlover
Ruggs clarification
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Flipping Ryan Williams and having him reclassify to 2024 would make for an amazing WR haul.  It'd be like the 2017 Bama haul.

Williams & Wingo will be our *Ruggs & Jeudy, while Parker Livingstone will be our Devonta Smith. 

Then, toss in Freddie DuBose for good measure.

*without the whole reckless driving manslaughter conviction

Is my sarcasm meter off regarding the bolded? lol

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

I've been wondering about this ever since he committed or recommitted, whatever the actual chain of events.  If we keep taking care of business, his commitment seems more like a drag than a worthy addition.  Wouldn't we gladly trade him for someone like, say, Lair?  And I may be selling our class short with Lair, too.  

I like watching that guy’s film.  I don’t want him to go to Baylor or possibly Nebraska.  Matt Rhule special.

Edited by Fondren & Main
Happy now, ya cunt!

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.f22f3da32b6b015c96cceb0987213eef.png

(His bro plays at Ok State.)

Right behind the #1 rule in recruiting - “Don’t Tweet at recruits!”, I am guessing that the #2 rule is…

”Don’t correct the grammar of a recruit’s mother.”

😖

The disrespect of past participles in the 21st century American vernacular is going to be the death of me. 

image.gif.63d6cfe6892cccc6cb696924a7c2f078.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Four-Star '25 WR Marcus Harris set for weekend visit to Texas

Greg Biggins (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Four-Star '25 WR Marcus Harris set for weekend visit to Texas

Greg Biggins (Horns 247)

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei junior wide out Marcus Harris is set for a weekend visit to Texas.

Harris has already been to Austin twice so this will be his third time on campus but first time seeing the Longhorns in action.
“I’ve never been to a game out there before so I’m excited,” Harris said. “I love how Texas is looking right now and there’s a lot to like about them.
“You know they’re always going to have good quarterback play because of how they have recruited and I like the offense Sark (Steve Sarkisian) runs as well. They do a great job developing receivers too so Texas is definitely a great option for me.”
Harris is one of the top recruits in the ’25 class. He’s rated the No. 11 player in the state and No. 40 nationally in the 247Sports Composite.
He’s an explosive receiver (averaged over 25 yards a catch last season) and can stretch the field. He runs well after the catch and has strong hands. He’s a polished route runner as well and has the ability to play out wide or in the slot.
He’s usually good for at least one acrobatic/diving catch every time we see him and has a nice upside to him.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Right behind the #1 rule in recruiting - “Don’t Tweet at recruits!”, I am guessing that the #2 rule is…

”Don’t correct the grammar of a recruit’s mother.”

😖

The disrespect of past participles in the 21st century American vernacular is going to be the death of me. 

image.gif.63d6cfe6892cccc6cb696924a7c2f078.gif

This is where I am at.

I mean, this where I am.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nice article on Robinson.  Dude had a monster game last week.  Kid is way underranked.

https://texas.rivals.com/news/dt-commit-d-antre-robinson-ready-to-be-a-part-of-the-texas-d-line

When recruits say they talk to a coach every day, is that for real?

I hate talking on the phone. I'd be the worst recruiter. My wife however ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'm not putting weight behind the "Sourced:____________" heading until I also read one that starts "Whole Cloth Fabrication: _______________"

you are 100%, absolutely in the wrong forum to have this kind of viewpoint.

have you ever followed CFB recruiting before this exact moment? like 90% of what is posted is sourced comments and the other 10% is pulled after a dude posts on IG

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The entire recruiting part of the job would have me in the NFL at the first opportunity. 

How many NFL jobs come open with a good QB? Almost none. You’re pretty much a dead man walking unless you get lucky in the draft.

At least in college you would naturally overmatch most teams at a good program.

32 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Gerry always throws jabs at Micah Hudson.  He put in an RPM for 99% months ago that basically ruined the "shock" he was hoping to create.  This is coming from a guy that rarely if ever ruins a kids moment and is quite intelligent and careful about the info he spills.  It makes me think that Hudson has probably done somethings to piss off the $9.95ers and Texas or he wouldn't be constantly throwing jabs and digs Hudson's way.  Just an observation on my part.

I agree, moreover Gerry is very careful about protecting his access via high school football coaches.  If he's being a little antagonistic then it's because there's not a Reginald Samples type threatening to ban him from the campus for the barest of slights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I agree, moreover Gerry is very careful about protecting his access via high school football coaches.  If he's being a little antagonistic then it's because there's not a Reginald Samples type threatening to ban him from the campus for the barest of slights. 

He maybe thinks that Hudson is full of shit and hasn’t been honest much at all during his recruitment. When that happens, guys who have been doing it for awhile get tired of this kind of recruit’s bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He maybe thinks that Hudson is full of shit and hasn’t been honest much at all during his recruitment. When that happens, guys who have been doing it for awhile get tired of this kind of recruit’s bullshit. 

Well maybe Hudson shouldn't be such a bitch ass diva. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

LB isn’t really at the top of our list of needs at the moment, but given the state of that room for the Ags…holy shit would that be a satisfying flip. 

I think we should take one.  Next class has just in the state, Jonah Williams (5*), Riley Pettijohn (high 4*), and Elijah Barnes (just outside composite top 100).

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls