Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, immamac said:

if someone finds me a thread started before that date with an author that will update threads, I'll merge this thread with the thread (hopefully a dead thread) and then just make it all work the right way. I can't change the author of this thread without another to merge it with.

go ahead and make me a mod and I'll take care of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

if someone finds me a thread started before that date with an author that will update threads, I'll merge this thread with the thread (hopefully a dead thread) and then just make it all work the right way. I can't change the author of this thread without another to merge it with.

I mean, a name change is perfectly fine IMO, but this thread seems pretty fucking dead

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

On3 is continuing to favour A&M's class and downgrade ours (we have just 7, by way of comparison)

F6VD2JSW8AA0ul-?format=jpg&name=medium

if it makes you feel any better, A&M have 11 on3 consensus commits out of 21 (and another one who is 302) - 52.38% of their class

Texas has 9 out of 17 - 52.94% of their class.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

3 hours ago, immamac said:

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls
15 hours ago, Getafix said:

Blue-Chip Buzz: Florida impresses No. 1 safety; Mizzou trying to close ground on 5-star; Latest on two top OTs

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

On Wingo:  "While the Longhorns still lead, undefeated Mizzou has a runway to make a move ..."

On Baker: "Unless Ohio State (or Nebraska or Oregon) can change the pulse, it still looks to be setting up nicely for the Longhorns regarding Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star Brandon Baker entering his Sunday commitment."

Hide contents

Blue-Chip Buzz: Florida impresses No. 1 safety; Mizzou trying to close ground on 5-star; Latest on two top OTs

Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports)

Whenever you get an environment like the one Florida had on Saturday night, an atmosphere that certainly helped the Gators defeat then-No. 11 Tennessee 29-16 in prime time, it resonates with recruits. That was the case with Tampa (Fla.) Plant Top247 running back Waltez Clark, who announced his commitment to head coach Billy Napier and his staff after the game.

He was the program’s top target at the position, the first commit for UF in the junior class. He won’t be the last among the 2025s that were in town experiencing the biggest win of the Napier era.

Who else could Florida be trending with?

No question the No. 1 safety in the 2025 class DJ Pickett and his family enjoyed it.

"Florida game was amazing," Damien Pickett, the father of the top-ranked safety, said. "Florida has an incredible fanbase. And to see a freshman (Jordan Castell) get so much playing time was good to see. We will be back. It was very big for recruiting. Say what you want, but these boys want to play for a winner."

That was the big question mark on Florida as Pickett strongly considers a future in Gainesville alongside Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Miami, among others. He has been to campus numerous times, likes the track record of Corey Raymond, has clicked with Napier and company, but a win like this one could go a long way to landing Pickett.

Talking to folks around Florida that spent time with Pickett, he’s saying the right things about where they stand with him.

Five-star WR Ryan Wingo to catch the Mizzou game

Fresh off his return visit to Texas this past weekend, one where the Longhorns continue to impress, the St. Louis University five-star will catch Missouri take on Memphis inside The Dome at America’s Center in a neutral site game just five minutes from his house.

While the Longhorns still lead, undefeated Mizzou has a runway to make a move and Eliah Drinkwitz and company will look to keep it rolling on Saturday night with their most coveted remaining target in the 2024 cycle on-hand.

I do believe Wingo will make it back to Columbia one more time before deciding as well. There is plenty of opportunity for Missouri to close whatever gap there is between them and the Burnt Orange.

Still like Texas for another five-star

Unless Ohio State (or Nebraska or Oregon) can change the pulse, it still looks to be setting up nicely for the Longhorns regarding Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star Brandon Baker entering his Sunday commitment.

Baker is 247Sports’ No. 1 offensive tackle.

Still like the Irish for a target

Notre Dame is about done recruiting the 2024 class, sitting on 22 commits with just a couple spots to fill.

Still like where they stand with West Roxbury (Mass.) Top247 offensive tackle Guerby Lambert.

There was some chatter that Boston College was perhaps gaining ground on the Irish, but sources continue to indicate ND is in the driver seat.

247Sports ranks Lambert as the nation’s No. 8 offensive tackle.

Get the latest football and basketball transfer portal news from 247Sports.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite slots him at No. 2 at his position and the No. 48 overall player in the country.

I’d definitely call that a hedge on Wingo and Texas. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d definitely call that a hedge on Wingo and Texas. 

Drinkwitz was on College Sports Sunday on XM 84 and all but recruiting Wingo by name by highlighting Burden staying in state and getting a lot of NIL money to be on campus in Columbia. I'm sure he's making the same push about it to Wiltfong and others. 

Wingo is wasting money, right now, if he plans on going to Missouri and hasn't committed. 

• Hook 'Em 3