Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Someone explain to me how a 18 year old kid visiting boulder colorado with the most gorgeous campus, quality girls, weed everywhere, and now the focus of the college football world EVERY week and celebrities and Deion and saying ooooo that could be a problem is pussy? Please. The kid is from St. Louis. Ever been to st louis then colorado the next week-yeah it’s a nice, noticeable change.  Don’t call me a pussy when you were watching the game last week saying damn I want to be in boulder and if you weren’t then something is wrong with you.
We are ranked 17th nationally, with baker, that’ll change. Kobe isn’t locked up and neither is wingo. If those 3 were done like they should be and we didn’t whiff to auburn and other bs schools, then sure call me pussy because we’d be dominating recruiting. But 17th with some 3star and low 4 star misses…yeah it’s pussy to worry about locking up someone going to boulder. Get off my mountain. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Someone explain to me how a 18 year old kid visiting boulder colorado with the most gorgeous campus, quality girls, weed everywhere, and now the focus of the college football world EVERY week and celebrities and Deion and saying ooooo that could be a problem is pussy? Please. The kid is from St. Louis. Ever been to st louis then colorado the next week-yeah it’s a nice, noticeable change.  Don’t call me a pussy when you were watching the game last week saying damn I want to be in boulder and if you weren’t then something is wrong with you.
We are ranked 17th nationally, with baker, that’ll change. Kobe isn’t locked up and neither is wingo. If those 3 were done like they should be and we didn’t whiff to auburn and other bs schools, then sure call me pussy because we’d be dominating recruiting. But 17th with some 3star and low 4 star misses…yeah it’s pussy to worry about locking up someone going to boulder. Get off my mountain. 

I'm not interested calling you a pussy, but I am willing to say that you appear borderline illiterate. 

As to the rest of it, I don't have the interest in trying to walk through this class and the rankings dynamics or the approach some schools are taking with particular targets. Maybe someone else will for you though. Love the football drive-bys, in any event. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

I had completely forgotten Wescott Eberts existed until this second, and it was beautiful.

12 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Fuck. So did I until you posted that name, my dad used to read that shit and send it to me, nothing ruins your mood like getting a link to BON.

Me 3.  Mostly because he had blocked me on twitter years ago, I never read that site he's part of.  

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

unemployment-homeless.gif

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Colorado is 3 touchdown dogs at Oregon this weekend, and they'll be 3 touchdown dogs against USC for Wingo's visit. Pretty likely that the hype is wearing off quite a bit by the time Wingo finishes his OV there.

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

BON is forever linked with male prostitute meth head lawyer

his name was Peter Bean, and if we're judging by the general understanding of the recruiting landscape and dynamics for the players in this class, it's clear he posts here as RockyMountainHighHorn. If it's not him, maybe Deion Sanders just fucked the shit out of his wife while he watched, and this is how he's coping. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Deion won't be there for the 2025 season.  

I've never understood why people from Colorado seem so angry. This is true for the little pussy in this thread, but also for Buffs fans in general - there's a lot of weird anger in that fanbase. They always seem pissed off and combative with a weird chip on their shoulder. 

Colorado as a place seems so nice and laid back. Every lawyer in my firm who lands a national client moves to our Denver office and immediately starts phoning it in. They WFH at their "mountain house" and let the junior partners do all the work. They know they've got it made so why sweat it out on the bayou?

The weather in CO is pleasant if you don't mind the cold (and it's miles better than Houston in any case), cost of living is modest compared to CA and NY, there's great skiing and hiking, great breweries, weed is legal, etc. etc. etc. 

So why so angry all the time? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

I've never understood why people from Colorado seem so angry. This is true for the little pussy in this thread, but also for Buffs fans in general - there's a lot of weird anger in that fanbase. They always seem pissed off and combative with a weird chip on their shoulder. 

Colorado as a place seems so nice and laid back. Every lawyer in my firm who lands a national client moves to our Denver office and immediately starts phoning it in. They WFH at their "mountain house" and let the junior partners do all the work. They know they've got it made so why sweat it out on the bayou?

The weather in CO is pleasant if you don't mind the cold (and it's miles better than Houston in any case), cost of living is modest compared to CA and NY, there's great skiing and hiking, great breweries, weed is legal, etc. etc. etc. 

I think it's one of those states with a stark locals vs transplants divide. Isolationist mountain people and ranchers swamped with OOS lawyers and ski bums.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think it's one of those states with a stark locals vs transplants divide. Isolationist mountain people and ranchers swamped with OOS lawyers and ski bums.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree. I'm the weird one here. 

But man, "isolationist mountain person" is my dream job. My loving wife and family have really prevented me from pursuing the noble goals of smoking weed in the woods and shooting guns all day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

It's a housing affordability issue.  They blame out of staters buying second, third homes there as the reason why they can't live for cheap in the more scenic mountain towns.  We bought a summer/winter home outside of Durango last year and all the locals do is bitch about how they can't afford to buy or rent homes because of guys like me.  My response to them more often than not - "Stop being poor.".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

It's a housing affordability issue.  They blame out of staters buying second, third homes there as the reason why they can't live for cheap in the more scenic mountain towns.  We bought a summer/winter home outside of Durango last year and all the locals do is bitch about how they can't afford to buy or rent homes because of guys like me.  My response to them more often than not - "Stop being poor.".

22b016e419c6ad5e20f9c31b47d5cd73.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I folded my law firm and moved my family to the top of a mountain in Colorado many years ago...from Houston.  It was the greatest decision I ever made.  The people are generally laid back; however, the influx of people moving here definitely gets the locals unruly because the price of real estate is getting too high and the hiking trails are getting crowded.  My closest neighbor is from Dallas and the first thing we both did when we moved here was get Colorado license plates.  My wife and I both got real estate licenses to make some extra retirement money and I make more money now than I did practicing law for 24 years...and most of my clients are from out of state.  Back to the point: the people here are actually really cool and laid back but they want to keep the state's vibe like that, which is getting increasingly harder to do.   

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Because most sane people realize that Colorado is just a stepping stone for Deion, and that in a year or two he'll be on to bigger and better things, while Colorado will go back to being what Colorado is - an afterthought in the College Football landscape.

Deion's one of the biggest, brashest and most expressive personalities with historic game and none of that jives with, translates to, nor ends at anything in Colorado.  He's gotta upgrade before everything adapts.  He played for the biggest venues and he'll do the same as a coach.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Black dudes love snow.

Stereotypes are funny because they’re true. Growing up in Amarillo, we’d have to practice in the snow sometimes and the black dudes would come out with their entire sweat suits under their pads. One dude wore fucking mittens! Man I miss those guys and those days. Just awesome dudes. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

Wadlington mentioned in his podcast this week that Texas One Fund is shamefully getting lapped by equivalent funds of some SEC schools. It is not showing up in recruiting so far because some big cigars are picking up the load. This has also been mentioned by others on this board including @closetojumping.

So Bankrolls and Machine Guns are cool and all, but as a fanbase, plumbers, hydraulics folks and especially nurses making mucho dineros need to step up. 

Gracias if you have already contributed. Onwards.

• Hook 'Em 6

36 minutes ago, Street2Peschel said:

I folded my law firm and moved my family to the top of a mountain in Colorado many years ago...from Houston.  It was the greatest decision I ever made.  The people are generally laid back; however, the influx of people moving here definitely gets the locals unruly because the price of real estate is getting too high and the hiking trails are getting crowded.  My closest neighbor is from Dallas and the first thing we both did when we moved here was get Colorado license plates.  My wife and I both got real estate licenses to make some extra retirement money and I make more money now than I did practicing law for 24 years...and most of my clients are from out of state.  Back to the point: the people here are actually really cool and laid back but they want to keep the state's vibe like that, which is getting increasingly harder to do.   

Colorado locals hating Texans and out of state property owners has been a thing forever.  I remember complaints going back to the early 80s when my family first bought property there. The proliferation of short term rentals has exacerbated the problem, so I can certainly understand them being pissed about not being able to live in the towns they work in while staring at $10 to 50 million dollar giant houses that stay empty 90% of the time or all the condos that are short term rentals.

There are still some cool mountain places that are affordable.  If I was looking for a place in CO at today's prices, I would consider something in or around Salida.  But most of the resort towns have gotten stupid expensive. I am actually looking now at Montana.  Found a place in Whitefish that could be perfect. On the verge of permanently noping out of Texas summers.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Colorado locals hating Texans and out of state property owners has been a thing forever.  I remember complaints going back to the early 80s when my family first bought property there. The proliferation of short term rentals has exacerbated the problem, so I can certainly understand them being pissed about not being able to live in the towns they work in while staring at $10 to 50 million dollar giant houses that stay empty 90% of the time or all the condos that are short term rentals.

There are still some cool mountain places that are affordable.  If I was looking for a place in CO at today's prices, I would consider something in or around Salida.  But most of the resort towns have gotten stupid expensive. I am actually looking now at Montana.  Found a place in Whitefish that could be perfect. On the verge of permanently noping out of Texas summers.

Whitefish is expensive, but I guess it is less than Telluride, Aspen, or Jackson Hole.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Check out Pagosa Springs, CO.   45 min from the Durango airport and 45ish minutes between wolf creek and purgatory.  Still relatively affordable by Colorado ski town standards.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Whitefish is expensive, but I guess it is less than Telluride, Aspen, or Jackson Hole.

It is not cheap.  But I think Whitefish is a really, really solid investment that will appreciate.  And is nothing like the crazy prices you see in Telluride, Aspen, and Jackson Hole.  You are also close to Kalispell and its airport.

I was paying $30 for a burger in Aspen last summer.  It has always been expensive.  I have been going there forever.  But in the last  6-7 years it has gotten absurd.

Edited by Frank Drebin

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Check out Pagosa Springs, CO.   45 min from the Durango airport and 45ish minutes between wolf creek and purgatory.  Still relatively affordable by Colorado ski town standards.

I don't know about getting there from Texas, but Pagosa Springs is such a pain to get to from the East Coast.  My in-laws built a place about 45 minutes out from there and it is more expensive and takes a lot longer to get there for holidays than it does when we just go to Europe...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don't know about getting there from Texas, but Pagosa Springs is such a pain to get to from the East Coast.  My in-laws built a place about 45 minutes out from there and it is more expensive and takes a lot longer to get there for holidays than it does when we just go to Europe...

Thats because Durango airport only has 4 gates and you usually have to go through Phoenix, Dallas, or Denver.  We usually drive it from Austin.  Takes about 11 hours without kids, 13 with.

21 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It is not cheap.  But I think Whitefish is a really, really solid investment that will appreciate.  And is nothing like the crazy prices you see in Telluride, Aspen, and Jackson Hole.  You are also close to Kalispell and its airport.

I was paying $30 for a burger in Aspen last summer.  It has always been expensive.  I have been going there forever.  But in the last  6-7 years it has gotten absurd.

Sounds like the burger spot next to the weed store I saw Dwight Howard at a couple of years back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have some friends that are leaving Colorado and moving to Montana.  It's beautiful there but, damn, the winters are rough.  The winters in Colorado aren't bad at all...definitely not what I was expecting when I moved here.  I moved here to escape the heat and haven't returned since.  The hottest it gets where I live is 80 degrees and I bitch about THAT heat.  Lol!!!  

A lot of the resort towns are now putting restrictions on short term leasing your house, which isn't doing anybody any damn good because the locals can't afford the houses anymore.  I live in Evergreen and you can still get houses for semi-reasonable prices.  From here you have access to Denver (35 minutes away) or skiing/snowboarding (35 minutes away).  Conifer is also a pretty good option as you can get more for your money, have easy access to Denver and ski resorts, and it is beautiful with easy winters.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Street2Peschel said:

I have some friends that are leaving Colorado and moving to Montana.  It's beautiful there but, damn, the winters are rough.  The winters in Colorado aren't bad at all...definitely not what I was expecting when I moved here.  I moved here to escape the heat and haven't returned since.  The hottest it gets where I live is 80 degrees and I bitch about THAT heat.  Lol!!!  

A lot of the resort towns are now putting restrictions on short term leasing your house, which isn't doing anybody any damn good because the locals can't afford the houses anymore.  I live in Evergreen and you can still get houses for semi-reasonable prices.  From here you have access to Denver (35 minutes away) or skiing/snowboarding (35 minutes away).  Conifer is also a pretty good option as you can get more for your money, have easy access to Denver and ski resorts, and it is beautiful with easy winters.

The average winter temperatures in Whitefish are lower than Aspen, Vail, Telluride, etc. and significantly lower than Breckenridge.  Whitefish is at 3,000 feet so it is not as cold as CO mountain towns.  Lower elevation has a lot of other benefits too.  Especially once you get older -- a lot of olds have trouble with altitudes of 7k or higher.