Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Gerry last night: Two key people think Williams is A&M vs Texas. 

Apparently someone mentioned that 247 is reporting Kobe visiting aggy this weekend. gerry saying thats a maybe or may not happen. "Every thing I am hearing....this recruitment is coming down to Texas vs A&M"

Sorry, you're the second poster who's mentioned Williams recently, and I just woke up. Can someone like the 247 of who this is? 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

RB room absolutely needs some help in the portal if Brooks leaves

image.thumb.png.711f1050039fd378dbb20c0521e4f936.png

Blue is going to be a contender to be in the portal at every single opportunity he has. Wisner is ???. Red may not even be in the RB room this time next year (back to WR?)

Can't imagine that you keep Blue, Red, Wisner, Baxter all next year without one of them transferring.

so that leaves you with Baxter (likely starter) and true freshmen who are not signed (Clark reportedly has shut it down, GIbson has not and Texas is in on the #1 RB in the 25 class who is likely to reclassify, right?)

would be *SHOCKED* if Texas rolled into next season without any updates to the RB room.

I disagree, especially if we hold on to Gibson or get the '25 guy to reclassify. RB seems like a spot where true freshmen can contribute. To me, Blue has looked fine in mop up duty so far, and obviously they like Baxter. Give one of those guys 50% of the carries, the other one 30%, and some combo of Red/Wisner/freshmen can handle the other 20%. Maybe not the absolute strongest position group on the roster, but also not worth devoting NIL bucks to a portal RB.

1. If you are going to be drafted outside the top few rounds as a RB, you better be able to play special teams. Roschon was an elite special teams player. Maybe Brooks played on some special teams units as a younger player but he does not bring the same level as impact there. He is a Day 3 pick (5-6th round) even if he has a good year, which is fine and I still wouldn't blame him for starting his NFL clock considering the shelf life on RB's.

2. There is absolutely going to be attrition at the RB position. No shot we head into next year with Baxter, Blue, Red, Wisner, Gibson and Clark all on the roster. 6 scholarship RB's also seems like a lot. Attrition at that spot wouldn't be the worst thing from a roster management standpoint. Maybe two guys depart and we add one from the portal to pair with Baxter and the two young guys coming in?

Edited by Hookem2147

Quick update on key Texas official visitor from out West

Greg Biggins (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Quick update on key Texas official visitor from out West

Greg Biggins (Horns 247)

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei offensive lineman Deandre Carter announced in early September his commitment to Auburn but still took an official visit to Texas over the weekend.

The visit to Texas was always in the cards and shouldn’t be taken as a sign Carter is cooling on his commitment to the Tigers. At the time he committed, he already had the visit set to Texas and the Auburn staff gave him the green light to go ahead and still take the trip.

We’ll connect with Carter on Monday but we’ve heard the trip went very well. It was a full weekend for Carter, who played on Friday night and then took a red-eye flight and landed in Austin early Saturday morning.

Carter and his family attended the Longhorns Junior Day earlier this year but the family was able to learn a lot more about the program this weekend and really connected well with coach Kyle Flood and head coach Steve Sarkisian. They made a point to let Carter know he’s a high priority for them and really want him to be a part of the ’24 class.

At this point, our guess is the family will take some time to evaluate the two programs and then likely make a final decision at some point this month. We know he loves the Auburn program, the coaching staff and he’s very comfortable in the South.

It does sound like Texas gave him something to think about and he’s close with a few players already committed to the Longhorns including teammate and fellow offensive lineman Brandon Baker.

Carter is 247Sports' No. 1 interior offensive lineman and the No. 55 overall prospect in the 2024 class. He started the final game of his freshman season at left tackle and hasn’t missed a start since.

He’s a mammoth prospect at 6-foot-4, 330 pounds but can move and is dominant as both a run blocker and pass protector. We think he slides inside and plays guard in college and is a very talented football player.

image.thumb.png.b739752d2819f3c19a65c733d7f612b7.png

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Blue is going to be a contender to be in the portal at every single opportunity he has. Wisner is ???. Red may not even be in the RB room this time next year (back to WR?)

Can't imagine that you keep Blue, Red, Wisner, Baxter all next year without one of them transferring.

so that leaves you with Baxter (likely starter) and true freshmen who are not signed (Clark reportedly has shut it down, GIbson has not and Texas is in on the #1 RB in the 25 class who is likely to reclassify, right?)

would be *SHOCKED* if Texas rolled into next season without any updates to the RB room.

You worry too much. I don't need a longwinded rebuttal or a barrage of them on this. Find something else to wring your hands over.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

1. If you are going to be drafted outside the top few rounds as a RB, you better be able to play special teams. Roschon was an elite special teams player. Maybe Brooks played on some special teams units as a younger player but he does not bring the same level as impact there. He is a Day 3 pick (5-6th round) even if he has a good year, which is fine and I still wouldn't blame him for starting his NFL clock considering the shelf life on RB's.

2. There is absolutely going to be attrition at the RB position. No shot we head into next year with Baxter, Blue, Red, Wisner, Gibson and Clark all on the roster. 6 scholarship RB's also seems like a lot. Attrition at that spot wouldn't be the worst thing from a roster management standpoint. Maybe two guys depart and we add one from the portal?

You spend a lot of time following the $9.95ers. It's clear that Gerry and/or Bobby caught up with the key staff member for Sark that they needed to speak to regarding positions they'll be looking for in the portal. Then they definitively state that TB isn't one of those. And yet here you are, ignoring that, and presuming a TB take from the portal. 

You guys are going around your asshole to get to your elbow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You worry too much. I don't need a longwinded rebuttal or a barrage of them on this. Find something else to wring your hands over.

oh im not worried, whatever happens will happen. it's nice not to worry about how a staff is going to fuck up a recruitment or manage a room for once in the last decade.

no hand wringing here

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You spend a lot of time following the $9.95ers. It's clear that Gerry and/or Bobby caught up with the key staff member for Sark that they needed to speak to regarding positions they'll be looking for in the portal. Then they definitively state that TB isn't one of those. And yet here you are, ignoring that, and presuming a TB take from the portal. 

You guys are going around your asshole to get to your elbow.

I prefer to think they are "wiping before they poop.".

In addition to that - Brooks didn't have the most affluent upbringing.  It would be silly of him to chase "maybe potential" money vs. what he has guaranteed here at Texas.  Also - as it was said earlier, the kid enjoys being here.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I didn’t even remember posting this. Yesterday was a massive day drinking experience tailgating for the Bears, watching the Bears lose and then drinking all day after they lost. Somehow in that blacked out state I decided to needlessly shit all over someone asking a harmless question. But I’m still not sorry because this is Surly and I’m an asshole even when I am sober. 

6a432808-0710-4674-8340-ebef6599e346_tex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bolero88 said:

Bijan got run down from behind, a lot. Not a great metric there. 

Comparing Bijan to Brooks isn't a great comp either. Bijan is a generational talent and is elite in every other category besides top-end speed.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

2. There is absolutely going to be attrition at the RB position. No shot we head into next year with Baxter, Blue, Red, Wisner, Gibson and Clark all on the roster. 6 scholarship RB's also seems like a lot. Attrition at that spot wouldn't be the worst thing from a roster management standpoint. Maybe two guys depart and we add one from the portal to pair with Baxter and the two young guys coming in?

That's what Texas has this season. They potentially lose Brooks and do lose Robinson. Lose both and it's net-zero from a numbers perspective in the room. However, I do believe you are correct: I doubt we see no movement. I'd like to explore Red in the slot. I believe his positional flexibility and gadget capabilities are too beneficial to let walk.

I don't see that happening. Bama just doesn't score enough.

A&Ms “new and improved” offense under Petrino won’t be able to run the ball effectively (ex: Ole Miss held to 1.6 yds/carry, Texas held to 2.8 yds/carry). Bama will be able to pin their ears back and crush Max’s johnson…

As a result, Bama will own time of possession, and A&Ms defense will eventually get gassed — leading to explosive plays.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

40% of the way through the season he is on track for 1432 yards over 12 games or 1552 over 13.

Bijan got about 54% of the carries the team had last year and had ~1600 yards

Brooks is at 44% so far for Texas. If Texas has 470 carries again that puts him at 1452 yards at his current YPC and %. if he gets up to 50%, Texas has 470 carries again at his YPC that is 1621 yards.

If he has 1600+ yards, like 15 TDs, Texas wins the B12, Texas goes to the CFP, he wins the Doak and gets Heisman votes I can absolutely see him getting a decent NFL grade and making the jump.

all that said, love to see him come back. bringing back the OL + Brooks + Baxter would make a first year starting QB's life much much much easier.

This. He may go, he may stay. Right now its a toss up. If he goes, he / we've had a great year with good backs in the pipeline = winning.

17 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

A&Ms “new and improved” offense under Petrino won’t be able to run the ball effectively. Bama will be able to pin their ears back and crush Max’s johnson…

As a result, Bama will own time of possession, and A&Ms defense will eventually get gassed — leading to explosive plays.

A&M could definitely beat Bama this week. I think they’ll find a way to move the ball on the ground. 

The real question is, can Bama score enough to put the game out of reach for A&M?

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

A&Ms “new and improved” offense under Petrino won’t be able to run the ball effectively (ex: Ole Miss held to 1.6 yds/carry, Texas held to 2.8 yds/carry). Bama will be able to pin their ears back and crush Max’s johnson…

I was responding to someone talking about a blowout. Your scenario wouldn't lead to a blowout, more like 24-14 Alabama, which I think is likely.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Jaydon Blue should be a true Sophi, not RS. If Blue and Baxter are the running back stable next year, we'll be in good shape, especially if we get anything out of Wisner or Red or any of the freshmen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny, my kneejerk is the exact opposite. Dude redshirted after getting kicked off his team his senior year and we stuck with him. He grumbled and grouched as he adjusted to college ball, but now he's out there getting snaps as a redshirt freshman, and he's making plays. And he's out there with maximum effort delivering hits on special teams, which doesn't scream "Fuck this team, fuck this culture" to me. If Brooks does boogie, I have a hard time with Blue heading to the portal no matter what. He's looking good. 

In the Texas RB room, each man waits his turn to shine and then it's "next man up!"  Each RB gets enough exposure to the NFL for scouts to see what he has but doesn't get worn down getting 1200 touches over his college career, like Cedric Benson did. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

In regards to handwringing over Williams, or A&M recruiting, man, I'm having a hard time giving a fuck right now. This shit will come correct. I feel like we're actually witnessing true development of players on this roster basically since...at least Mack Brown. Maybe better than him. Our defensive line is chock full of 3 stars, and they're playing like fucking monsters. Sweat, Murphy, Sorrell. And the asccension has been visible year over year. When was the last time we saw that from players that basically weren't just self-starters like Brian Orakpo and Colt McCoy? 

We're seeing linebackers develop. Ford was a 3 star, and now we see Gbenda improving. Our DBs are a factory of fucking studs, for fucks sake Michael Taffe is out there making plays. The only motherfucker who isn't deloping is Kitan Crawford, and apparently he's immune to learning, not out of ego or laziness, but an actual psycholgical disorder. We were worried about Finkley and Tapp having low ceilings or high bust rates, and low and behold those motherfuckers are out there every week looking better and better. I'd have liked to see us sign more guys on the DL to date this class, but shit, I'm a lot fucking less worried about getting the most of the guys that get here. Wait until the baseline is a bunch of 4 star talent to work with. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.gif 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny, my kneejerk is the exact opposite. Dude redshirted after getting kicked off his team his senior year and we stuck with him. He grumbled and grouched as he adjusted to college ball, but now he's out there getting snaps as a redshirt freshman, and he's making plays. And he's out there with maximum effort delivering hits on special teams, which doesn't scream "Fuck this team, fuck this culture" to me. If Brooks does boogie, I have a hard time with Blue heading to the portal no matter what. He's looking good. 

You keep talking about culture and development and I really don’t see where you’re going with this.

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

You keep talking about culture and development and I really don’t see where you’re going with this.

He's saying Bleu is bought in to the culture and is giving it his all and at moment if Brooks leaves, has a legit shot at being the starter next year if Baxter doesn't become more decisive, and at the very least getting a lot more snaps next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

He's saying Bleu is bought in to the culture and is giving it his all and at moment if Brooks leaves, has a legit shot at being the starter next year if Baxter doesn't become more decisive, and at the very least getting a lot more snaps next year.

Plus we've already shown that being RB2 at Texas is not a bad thing. There are plenty of carries for the second guy and there will still be opportunity in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Jaydon Blue should be a true Sophi, not RS. If Blue and Baxter are the running back stable next year, we'll be in good shape, especially if we get anything out of Wisner or Red or any of the freshmen. 

I think Christian Clark may have a thing or two to say about the running back rotation next year. 

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess if Brooks does what we’re projecting him to do, he could leave early, but he’s had an exceptionally low amount of carries. 51 prior to this season. 

He had 2 NFL RBs ahead of him and now that it's his time to shine, he's picking up right where he left off in HS. I'm not a scout for the NFL or even a fan of its product but I'm sure some team will look at his situation as a positive. Especially considering the shelf life of the position. 

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

In the Texas RB room, each man waits his turn to shine and then it's "next man up!"  Each RB gets enough exposure to the NFL for scouts to see what he has but doesn't get worn down getting 1200 touches over his college career, like Cedric Benson did. 

And Foreman!