Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Florida will continue to play OK at home. Fluky Tennessee win that I’m sure is central to Sun Belt Billy’s pitch. Competitive loss to Florida State. Beat Vandy and piggy. Win 1 game on the road to get to 6 wins. 

Have you seen Florida's schedule next year?  Billy ain't gonna' make it.

Screenshot_20231002_193052_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231002_193058_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Anyone have this? 

Inside Texas takes a look at the recruitments of On3 four-stars Solomon Williams and Deandre Carter, the latest on Ryan Wingo and Kobe Black, and the early Texas-Oklahoma recruiting visitor list in Monday’s Inside Scoop.

Solomon Williams returning to Texas A&M this weekend

Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day four-star EDGE/LB Solomon Williams made an official visit this weekend to Texas with his mother. The visit, as expected, went extremely well for the Longhorns. Williams’ mom got all the information needed from the Texas staff, parents of players, and parents of commitments on Saturday. The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Williams spent time with Barryn Sorrell and other members of the Texas team.

When Inside Texas visited Carrollwood Day High two and half weeks ago, the Longhorns were in a pretty good spot. Since that time, Williams made an unofficial visit to Texas A&M for the Auburn game. This weekend, Williams will be back in College Station for an official visit for the game against Alabama.

Here is the bottom line: Texas A&M is going to do everything in its power to beat Texas head-to-head on defensive line and EDGE prospects both schools have a legit shot at. That means making the attempt to take the field next year against Texas with a decided advantage on the defensive line. This is SEC recruiting and rivalry recruiting combined moving forward for Texas A&M against Texas.

Texas chances with DeAndre Carter

On3 Industry Ranking four-star and Auburn commitment DeAndre Carter made an official visit over the weekend with his parents. This is a recruitment that offensive line coach Kyle Flood and head coach Steve Sarkisian have never given up on after the pledge to Auburn on September 3rd.

The Longhorns provided every bit of information needed by Carter and family to make this final decision more difficult. The thought on Sunday night is that Texas will know in the next week to ten days if a flip is likely to happen.

Carter is the lone offensive line commit for the Tigers in the class, so Auburn has a lot on the line in this recruitment with under 100 days until the early signing period.

Five-stars Ryan Wingo and Kobe Black

Two of the top remaining targets on the Texas big board are considering their weekend schedule this week. Both are looking at official visits to College Station for Texas A&M-Alabama on Saturday, and both are considering hitting Dallas for Texas-OU this weekend.

For Ryan Wingo, it’s Senior Night for St. Louis University High on Friday and he really doesn’t want to miss that, his family told Inside Texas. Texas, Miami, Missouri, and Texas A&M are pushing the hardest for the elite pass-catcher.

For Kobe Black, he had scheduled an official visit to Texas A&M in the summer, but hasn’t mentioned much about it since then. As of Monday, he’s unsure of where he’ll visit this weekend, per his family. Texas still has confidence here, but you have to watch the Aggies when it comes to top UT targets. Black had said he’d likely be at Texas-OU recently, and Inside Texas is heading to Waco this week for the latest.

Texas-OU Visitor List

The Texas Longhorns are the host team for this year’s Red River Shootout. Inside Texas expects this list to expand by a large amount throughout the week, but here are some names to know early on.

Harlem Berry, RB, Metairie (La.) St. Martin’s Episcopal (2025)
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 19

Dorian Brew, CB/ATH, Conroe (Texas) High (2025)
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 34

Cobey Sellers, CB, Manvel (Texas) Shadow Creek (2025)
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 165

Dilan Battle, DL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview (2025)
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 283

Kane Bowen, ATH, Sherman (Texas) High (2025)
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R

Devin Harper, OL, Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 221

Maliek Hawkins, DB, Frisco (Texas) Emerson (2025)

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High (2025) – *Maybe

Javian Osborne, RB, Forney (Texas) High (2026)

Justin Wells co-authored this article.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

A&Ms “new and improved” offense under Petrino won’t be able to run the ball effectively (ex: Ole Miss held to 1.6 yds/carry, Texas held to 2.8 yds/carry). Bama will be able to pin their ears back and crush Max’s johnson…

As a result, Bama will own time of possession, and A&Ms defense will eventually get gassed — leading to explosive plays.

their rushing stats are baaaaaad.

from game on paper:

image.png.60e55a39014f6e538a7f641653eec0b5.png

image.thumb.png.d578ba9a0bcb468e92f12875c1619df5.png

all of this is despite them having a really good rushing game vs Auburn (52% SR, 79th percentile EPA/play at 0.18) lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Do we? I've mentally removed him from the class. I guess I'd be happy if he stuck.

the last guy you talked about this way (Moddon) has really not done shit.

re-classified as a CB across the board. somehow 247 still has him ranked highly:

image.png.9f4036709badacdab09dca412c065e34.png

his twitter account is wildass:

image.thumb.png.14c160cecbc9d20627c918bc49e78aa5.png

on twitter only CFB stuff he is RTing is about Ole Miss and Texas State. he is liking Texas and LSU stuff.

dude is begging for visits and getting no action

as far as i can tell he hasn't taken any visits anywhere or announced any OVs?

last action on his 247 profile is his de-commmitment from Texas in June

last "news" on his on3 is a Gerry article on him decommiting from Texas

wild.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

It is senior night for HS and staying close makes sense considering he said he wanted to be a part of that event. That's why he wasn't planning on coming to the Texas-OU sux game.

It seems like we aren't really pushing RRR for 2024 recruits.

Tx/ou looks like it’s mostly a 2025 recruit event, which makes sense bc the relationships and time has already been put in for 2024 targets. I don’t think it’s a bad sign if they don’t get out for this bc they’ve been to our games and had visits already. I’m skeptical about how much concern to really put into our targets going to A&M, I think we will be just fine given the recruits we already have, the development we’re seeing on the roster, and the portal activity we’ll get in on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NoName said:

the last guy you talked about this way (Moddon) has really not done shit.

re-classified as a CB across the board. somehow 247 still has him ranked highly:

image.png.9f4036709badacdab09dca412c065e34.png

his twitter account is wildass:

image.thumb.png.14c160cecbc9d20627c918bc49e78aa5.png

on twitter only CFB stuff he is RTing is about Ole Miss and Texas State. he is liking Texas and LSU stuff.

dude is begging for visits and getting no action

as far as i can tell he hasn't taken any visits anywhere or announced any OVs?

last action on his 247 profile is his de-commmitment from Texas in June

last "news" on his on3 is a Gerry article on him decommiting from Texas

wild.

That guy has off field problems. 

Robinson may well stick, who knows? I don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Talk to me about this as if I am a golden retriever.

success rate definition:

A play is defined as successful if:

• It gains at least 50% of the yards required to move the chains on first down
  • 70% of yards to gain on second down
  • 100% of yards to gain on third or fourth down

A&M is a bad rushing team even after having a really good game vs Auburn running the ball.

they are right at average in being successful running it overall, despite playing an average schedule. the guy they give the ball to the most is not a successful runner (39% success rate) and the true freshman is even worse.

their RBs as a group are baaaaaaad at pass blocking also.

Alabama is a very good defense and has played 2 significantly better offenses than A&M and played them quite well. Alabama is going to make them win by running the ball and if they create HAVOC (plays in which a defense either recorded a tackle for loss, forced a fumble, or defensed a pass (intercepted or broken up)) at the rate they have overall A&M is going to have a really tough time winning.

• Hook 'Em 3