Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Getafix anything good in the Wiltfong recruits reaction thread?

Nada

Spoiler

Texas posted one of the most dominant wins of the season, for any program in the country, on Friday night, blowing out Texas Tech, 57-7, in front of a raucous home crowd in Austin.

Part of the experience, key members of a Longhorns recruiting class, a top target in the senior cycle, and prospects Steve Sarkisian and his staff have keyed in on down the road.

“It was a fun experience again winning by 50 and the offense being able to score a lot,” St. Louis (Mo.) University five-star receiver Ryan Wingo. He is the jewel of this 2024 class that ranks No. 9 nationally per 247Sports.

Wingo committed to the Longhorns over Missouri, Tennessee and several others back on Oct. 25 and this was his first time back on campus. He looks forward to helping the Longhorns be in a similar position, chasing a conference title and College Football Playoff spot down the road.

“The season basically says sometimes you have to trust the process,” Wingo said.

The Wingo family was able to link up with Top247 running back commit Jerrick Gibson and his family. Other commits on campus include tight end Jordan Washington and cornerback Jordon Johnson-Rubell.

“This is just the start of many more things we can accomplish,” Washington said. “And the coach will only get better.”

Waco (Texas) Connally Top247 defensive back Kobe Black continues to trend towards Texas heading into his college decision set for Nov. 29 during a ceremony at his school.

Texas is going to be tough to beat for a lot of these juniors on campus already holding an offer.

“It was amazing watching those guys,” Hitchcock (Texas) High Top247 athlete Kelshaun Johnson said. “It was a great experience. The environment and atmosphere was crazy. I think they will win the Big 12. And I think they will make it to the final four.”

“I think this win shows Texas is the complete team that can win in all three phases,” Denton (Texas) Guyer defensive lineman Xavier Upon said. “Their d-line impresses me every time I watch and Coach Bo (Davis) is definitely one of the best in the business. Texas is definitely at the top of my list. The visit stood out to me.”

“The experience of Austin is like one in a million,” Katy (Texas) Paetow defensive lineman Carmello Brooks said. “Very energetic people, always good vibes, great tasting food and some very well played football. The speaks for itself! Bo Davis and Coach Sarkisian aren’t playing any games when it comes to winning for their team! All I have to say is their Big 12 appearance isn’t a shock to the world!”

• Hook 'Em 4

With Elko coming back to aggy that probably helps more with TyAnthony Smith as Durkin more than likely gets let go with "E-Rob" getting the DC title and Elko bringing his boy Santucci back to coach LB's.  For anyone that doesn't remember, Santucci is a terrible recruiter and the aggy boards couldn't wait for him to follow Elko to Duke.

• Hook 'Em 3

South: 3 things I know, 3 things I think: Texas recruiting intel

Spoiler

The regular season has come to an end and most schools will hit the road to recruit this week leading up to the Early Signing Period next month. Texas will be busy prepping for the Big 12 title game, but that doesn't mean recruiting will take a back seat. Here's 3 things I know, 3 things I think ahead of a busy upcoming stretch. 

3 things I know

1.) The Longhorns are recruiting five-star safety and Florida commit Xavier Filsaime out of McKinney, Texas. That much is known. Texas would like to flip him and keep him home. From what I can tell, there’s not a great read as to whether that will end up happening. If anything it seems like UF is feeling good about where things stand coming out of the weekend. Filsaime was back in Gainesville for a couple of days and was actively recruiting other prospects that were on campus. We’re going to keep tabs on him the next few weeks with the contact period getting set to open.

2.) Texas will be selective when it comes to the Transfer Portal. We’re almost exactly a week away from the Transfer Portal window opening up and chaos ensuing across the college football landscape. In case you missed it, Horns247s Chip Brown detailed potential needs for the Longhorns in the portal this year in this week’s Insider. Talking to sources this weekend, it’s clear that the Longhorns are not only doing their due diligence in terms of maintaining their own roster, but they’re expected to be selective when it comes to who they go after. “It’s got to be the right fit at the end of the day,” one source said. And that’s a testament to the culture Steve Sarkisian and his staff have set in place in Austin. Just because a guy is a star at one place doesn’t necessarily mean it would work out on the Forty Acres. Texas hit on key areas in the portal last offseason with guys like Adonai Mitchell, Ryan Sanborn, Gavin Holmes, Trill Carter, and Jalen Catalon. And they’ll put in the work to try and replicate that success this year.

3.) UT is still in contact with Mississippi State commit Terrance Hibbler. Defensive line will be a fun area to track Texas’ finish in 2024. The Longhorns are working to add more in the trenches to join D'antre Robinson, Melvin Hills, and Alex January. We noted earlier this week on Horns247 that the Longhorns were still in contact with Hibbler, a Bulldogs commit from the Magnolia State. That’s notable considering the coaching change in Starkville. In my experience covering recruiting, it’s never easy to get Mississippi kids out of Mississippi unless Ole Miss or Mississippi State just hasn’t offered them. But the continued communication is worth monitoring. 

3 things I think

1.) Texas is still in good shape with five-star defensive back Kobe Black. The Waco standout is expected to announce a decision on Nov. 29, just a few days away. We’re told that the decision date could possibly change and that Nov. 29 has only been talked about to this point in his camp. Either way, UT remains in a good spot here regardless of timing, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation. Black was back on the Forty Acres for the Texas Tech game and is expected in Arlington this Saturday to see Texas take on Oklahoma State for the Big 12.

2.) Keylan Moses trending to LSU days away from decision. On Thursday, Nov. 30, four-star athlete Keylan Moses will announce his college decision. He’s the younger brother of former five-star recruit and Bama linebacker Dylan Moses. The Baton Rouge native has Texas in his top five and says he’s going to shock the world with his decision. While he’s been in contact with the UT staff, I don’t think he’s leaving Baton Rouge for college. I would lean towards LSU but will tune in on Thursday either way.

3.) Texas’ win over Texas Tech has got the UT commits buzzing. It was a different recruit reaction gathering considering many were still playing games on Friday or Saturday and had to either miss the game on Friday night or catch up on it during the weekend. We checked in with several of UT’s pledges and here’s what they said:

QB Trey Owens -- "Great way to end off the regular season with a dominant win over our rivals. I thought they’d be better than they were, but can’t always assume the best."

TE Jordan Washington -- "It's not over yet. There is a lot more to bring with UT and this was an outstanding game."

P Michael Kern -- "Completely dominated! An amazing night for senior night."

DL Melvin Hills -- "I couldn’t really watch the game but when I saw the score I wasn’t surprised that’s what we do and we going keep doing that."

WR Freddie Dubose -- I mean I expected it. I really don’t know how else to put it. Tech had to come to our stadium -- OUR LAST HOME GAME -- and they thought we wasn’t finna stand on business 57-7."

S Jordon Johnson-Rubell -- “Great win. Everyone was making plays.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

On3 / Spiegelman bumped his Kobe RPM up to 80% ... 

image.thumb.png.a9ff1632e0be62cec3773610934cae3b.png

One of the $9.95ers said that Black was going to announce on Nov 29th, but that date may change.

I can only assume that it might be a tad awkward for his brother to announce his intention to transfer to Texas - three days before his current team plays against Texas for the Big XII Championship.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

One of the $9.95ers said that Black was going to announce on Nov 29th, but that date may change.

I can only assume that it might be a tad awkward for his brother to announce his intention to transfer to Texas - three days before his current team plays against Texas for the Big XII Championship.

that's going to change to like Dec 6 (back a week) or something i bet.

finals week at Oklahoma State is the 11th to the 15th. dec 8th is the last day of class.

That date never made much sense if he insists on announcing with his brother.

OSU already controlled their own destiny to get to the conference championship game when that date was set. I guess maybe he assumed OSU would lose again after that UCF game? But that’s a weird assumption to make when your brother is still on the team.