Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

assistant coach and recruiting and operational budgets should fucking double. 

my hope is that A&M putting out an $11m assistant pool, which is probably all of the back of house folks not just assistants, will really push Texas to bump up theirs. per USA Today database the Texas pool is about $8.5m vs A&M at just over $8m.

both are behind Ohio State at $9.3m, UGA at $9.2m, Alabama at $9.17m, LSU at $8.9m. guessing tOSU has to bump Knowles/Hartline to keep them plus whatever is going on with Larry Johnson who you have to bump a little. UGA will end up needing to give Mike Bobo a bump - he's currently outside the top 50 highest paid assistants at just over a million. wonder if they hire Corey Raymond to replace their DB coach who is going to Syracuse? LSU is going big game hunting w/ Bo and others I bet so their total will end up going up.

Texas has more than a few coaches who will need bumps - and deserve them - after this year. Davis is making $1m and per football scoop is at #3 in the country behind Larry Johnson at $1.1 and Robinson at A&M who was at $1.1.  Choice at $600k is weird because he only makes $50k more than Chris Jackson. he's clearly on a different tier than the Frank Wilson and Dell McGee and Tony Alford level $$ wise but have to think he goes up at least 100k next year which should put him into the top 5.

Texas has 1 coach in the top 20 highest paid assistants (PK at #14 @ $1.7m), Flood is #30 at $1.25m and Banks is #44 at $1.1m (and is the #1 highest paid ST coordinator by like 300k)

we know Sark is getting a bump.

the $$ spent on the Texas coaches next year should go way up.

image.png.f1c1e49ab51656d64ecd4429f792c9eb.png

image.png.612ee3c76aa741b5af29d339a3ed22c3.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wickline never called the offense, the title was just for a pay bump. Strong literally had to admit that in court. It was always Shawn Watson. 

Yes, I should have emphasized proved. And if I remember correctly it was all a scam so Strong could hire Wickline away from OSU, claiming he was being offered a promotion to OC.

Edited by IBuryPaul
additional

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

If either of these guys flip to that shit show in Gainsville, I have to question their decision making moving forward. Napier is a deadman walking going into next season, where they will face one of the hardest schedules I have ever seen. 

In the NIL era, it has become blatantly obvious that there are certain players that are looking for nothing more than the highest offer, and they could not possibly give any less fucks about who the head coach is, who the position coach is, what restaurants are available in the town, how many games they will win, or academics.  The '22 aggie class made this readily apparent. Trying to apply recruiting logic from five years ago no longer works.

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

In the NIL era, it has become blatantly obvious that there are certain players that are looking for nothing more than the highest offer, and they could not possibly give any less fucks about who the head coach is, who the position coach is, what restaurants are available in the town, how many games they will win, or academics.  The '22 aggie class made this readily apparent. Trying to apply recruiting logic from five years ago no longer works.

Their class also made it apparent that getting a bunch of that type of player is idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Elite recruits were flipping/committing to Charlie Strong (I think the most comparable recent coach to Napier) even when it was abundantly clear that Strong was a complete disaster. Sometimes teenagers don't make logical decisions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Getafix said:

One of three finalists.  Others are Beebe (K-State), and Alt (ND).

Probably going to the ND guy. The award finalist choices have been weird this year, the Nagurski Award snubbed Sweat in favour of some random DT from Illinois and the Lombardi Award (which is supposed to go to a lineman or linebacker) has Brock Browers as a finalist.

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Probably going to the ND guy. The award finalist choices have been weird this year, the Nagurski Award snubbed Sweat in favour of some random DT from Illinois and the Lombardi Award (which is supposed to go to a lineman or linebacker) has Brock Browers as a finalist.

Are OT's interior linemen?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Sweat will win it, Eeyore. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Bowers was also a Lombardi finalist last season.

8 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

New West was off Anderson Ln and Mopac, Dallas was on North Lamar,  Ropers was on Wells Branch. South 40 was on Ben White.

Yes they were good, many a belt buckle shining would be happening every night out.

Dallas was on Burnet just north of Justin…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

Couple notes from Scruggs

tldr Filsaime 👍 Smith 👎

Hide contents

— As many saw last night, Florida defensive backs coach Corey Raymond was relieved of his coaching duties. As many would assume, this helps Texas tremendously in their efforts to flip McKinney five-star safety Xavier Filsaime from his pledge to the Gators.

Texas was able to get the five-star on campus exactly a week ago for an unofficial visit that was kept a secret until the visit had concluded. Prior to the visit, Horns247’s stance on the recruitment was that we wouldn’t give Texas a serious chance in this one until a visit to the Forty Acres was taken by Filsaime.

Well now that Raymond is out at Florida and a trip to Austin has been taken, Texas’ chances of flipping the nation’s No. 2 ranked safety have never been higher.

With Georgia, Oregon, and SMU all fighting to get back in the picture for the elite safety prospect, it’s routinely the Longhorns who are brought up as having the most buzz when speaking to sources, and by a large margin.

Getting Filsaime back to Austin for an official visit is priority No. 1 for the Longhorns in their pursuit of the Florida native, but with Texas playing in the Big 12 Championship game this weekend, timing is likely to serve as a thorn in the side of Texas’s flip chances.

Due to an NCAA enforced dead period taking place between Nov. 27-30, the Longhorns won't be able to sneak Filsaime on campus for a midweek visit this week, meaning that the earliest they’ll be able to have the five-star back on campus would likely be Sunday Dec. 3, just one day before the NCAA Transfer Portal opens. Texas’ window for getting Filsaime to campus will close on Dec. 17, as that’s the last day before another dead period goes into effect on Dec. 18, just days before the first day of the Early Signing Period on Dec. 20.

Like many readers know the Texas Football program has a lot to offer, but for Filsaime it’s early playing time opportunities, friends of his from the DFW area that are already in the program and/or the 2024 recruiting class, close proximity to home, and one of the best if not the best NIL setups in the nation.

I don’t think it’s crazy to say that things are trending Texas’ way right now, and I’m very close to entering in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns to flip Filsaime from his Florida pledge.

— Speaking of 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions, I wrote that I was close to entering one in favor of the Longhorns to flip Jasper three-star linebacker Tyanthony Smith from his pledge to Texas A&M.

While I was very close to putting one in at the time, I never felt confident enough in Texas’ chances to actually enter a prediction in and thus I didn’t. Now after speaking with sources in Southeast Texas throughout last night, I’m expecting Smith to remain firm on his pledge to the Aggies.

When Jimbo Fisher was relieved of his coaching duties in College Station, I wrote how a visit to Texas would need to be taken for the Longhorns to have a shot, and that even if dates are scheduled for a visit — that it won’t mean anything unless he actually shows up.

Well, he didn’t necessarily not show up, but he did cancel his visit dates in order to reschedule them for later down the road after Jasper is out of the playoffs. The problem is, those dates were never rescheduled as I expected after seeing him cancel the original dates, and well here we are.

Just like the visit scenario, following Fisher’s firing I also reported that a lot of Smith’s commitment is riding on who the next coach in College Station will be. All of the sources I spoke with last night reiterated how much Smith was a fan of the Aggies’ hiring of Mike Elko, and that he intends to stay true to his commitment.

I’m not expecting Smith to end up making a visit to Texas before signing day comes on Dec. 20, and neither are any of the sources in Southeast Texas that I spoke with last night.

Now that it’s almost final that the Longhorns 2024 high school recruiting class will be without a linebacker, almost all of the attention on the position is turned to the NCAA Transfer Portal that’s set to open Dec. 4. Based off the names I’ve been hearing that’ll enter the portal or have already entered the portal, there will be plenty of options for Texas.

I’m good with it. Portal LB is probably more important than Smith this offseason. 

Smith I guess politely canceled on Texas. Got Red Ass Bryant’d and didn’t reschedule. If recruiting was easy, Dan Mullen would be doing it. 

23 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

New West was off Anderson Ln and Mopac, Dallas was on North Lamar,  Ropers was on Wells Branch. South 40 was on Ben White.

Yes they were good, many a belt buckle shining would be happening every night out.

My kids used to hang out at some of those places, but too New Age for me.

Skyline Ballroom and Dessau Dance Hall were the places to cut a rug for me.

2 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So filsame and black are in. Smith is out. Does that close the class?

It’s a good class and I agree with pushing up the assistants $$ this staff is developing players and coaching consistency has been really beneficial vs where we were prior to 3 years ago.

Maybe a DL, the baylor commit or the miss st commit

14 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So filsame and black are in. Smith is out. Does that close the class?

It’s a good class and I agree with pushing up the assistants $$ this staff is developing players and coaching consistency has been really beneficial vs where we were prior to 3 years ago.

Need someone to look at the numbers...

Work Working GIF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Counting Filsaime in the class as a given might be unwise. Florida hasn’t been fucking around on the NIL side to the point that they’re trending towards ATM class of 2022 desperation. We’ll see. 

That's pretty interesting. They get their NIL shit together after that QB decommitted becuase they couldn't cut the checks they promised and headed to Arizona State? Becuase that was a bad fucking look. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's pretty interesting. They get their NIL shit together after that QB decommitted becuase they couldn't cut the checks they promised and headed to Arizona State? Becuase that was a bad fucking look. 

Do you misspell "becuase" wrong so often that it's a word in your texting dictionary? 😁

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Counting Filsaime in the class as a given might be unwise. Florida hasn’t been fucking around on the NIL side to the point that they’re trending towards ATM class of 2022 desperation. We’ll see. 

So are the boosters trying to set up a “turn key” situation for a new coach after they fire Napier in 2024? Because that schedule just sets him up for utter failure and a Charlie Strong/Derek Dooley 3 year run. I guess it worked for them when they fired Ron Zook after three years of great recruiting and subpar results when they hired Meyer. 

Edited by Duane Moore

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So are the boosters trying to set up a “turn key” situation for a new coach after they fire Napier in 2024? Because that schedule just sets him up for utter failure and a Charlie Strong/Derek Dooley 3 year run. I guess it worked for them when they fired Ron Zoom after three years of great recruiting and subpar results when they hired Meyer. 

I know no one near the UF staff or alumni base. I just know that they're not fucking around with some of their offers for this recruiting class, including Filsaime. I expect something similar to that with Gibson and I'll be surprised if he sticks, should that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know no one near the UF staff or alumni base. I just know that they're not fucking around with some of their offers for this recruiting class, including Filsaime. I expect something similar to that with Gibson and I'll be surprised if he sticks, should that happen.

Should that happen I look forward to the massive rankings bump when he flips and the massive drop for Filsaime when he flips.

28 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

So are the boosters trying to set up a “turn key” situation for a new coach after they fire Napier in 2024? Because that schedule just sets him up for utter failure and a Charlie Strong/Derek Dooley 3 year run. I guess it worked for them when they fired Ron Zoom after three years of great recruiting and subpar results when they hired Meyer. 

I don’t like quoting Bud Elliott, but I’ll do it again. He said on Cover 3 pod that the SEC lesser thans voted for more money and 2 additional losses on their schedule when they admitted Texas and OU. 

UF is desperately afraid of being left behind. FSU has it humming, and their conference is adding 2 teams that are currently recruiting Florida very well. 

To borrow an aggy term, UF is at the precipice. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1