Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Just give yourself another 15-20 years. You’ll be telling your kids about how great SnapChat was, explaining to them the concept of cable TV before streaming, or how Austin still had a small city vibe when you were on campus but now at 5 million people you don’t recognize it anymore. It’s coming. 

Not on a fucking recruiting thread every other month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, I graduated in '99 and used TEX every semester. My Goodbye and Good Luck cap was like a beacon for 45 and older fans at the Sugar Bowl while those under that age didn't give it a second look. 

Graduated the same year and have the same hat. The number of people who “get it” is few and far between these days.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The first time you tried to register on Tex, you’d go in thinking you had your semester lined up perfectly. Then within 3 minutes that motherfucker would be hanging up on you after telling you that you didn’t get any of the classes you wanted and you’d be left holding the phone, frozen, wondering what in the fuck just happened.

You eventually learned to go into your calls with Tex with a fucking binder full of decision trees and emergency plans like you were in Mission Control. 

I’m way too young for Tex but I enjoyed this. Thank you 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I started in the fall of 1991. My initial registration was in the lobby of Jester West standing in line and filling out cards. I am not sure if that was because I was an incoming freshman or if that was the last semester everyone manually registered. The rest of my time on campus, we used TEX. I also had my student ID picture taken in some remote recess of Gregory Gym in late July or early August in the pre-A/C Gregory days. I never lost my ID, so I had the same picture with sweat glistening on my forehead all four years.  

I never even saw the internet during my time on campus. I did have a couple of roommates with University e-mail accounts my Junior year, though. Imagine: no texting and no e-mailing to communicate with 50,000 students. 

I started that semester as well and I don't recall registering in person but I guess it's possible.

13 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Not on a fucking recruiting thread every other month. 

Listen, if you've got a crystal ball that will predict the future and can say with certainty what kind of crotchety old fuck who thinks everyone in the world is interested in their stupid old anecdotes you will or won't become, that's great. When you're done, I'd like to look at some sports results from the future so I can Biff Tannen my way into an earlier retirement. Thanks in advance. 

P.S. no one ever thinks they're going to get old and thinks they won't act stupid and embarassing and talk ceaselessly about their own "in my day" shit, but inevitably, most people end up that kind of old fuck. 

caddyshack-looks-good-on-you.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You eventually learned to go into your calls with Tex with a fucking binder full of decision trees and emergency plans like you were in Mission Control. 

Y'all may think he's joking but I would have list of courses and would work my way down the list(s) until I got a full schedule. This was a real thing. Got a lot easier once you were taking nothing but upper division courses but anything with a 0 or 1 as the second digit was just hunting.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The absolute worst was that little pause right after "class" while the TRS-80 that was running TEX did whatever the fuck it was doing behind the scenes, "This class was.... (hold your breath, pray, cross fingers, make pagan sacrifice, etc.) ...not added. It was just a half a beat, but it seemed like 10 minutes, followed by me screaming every cuss word I could think of at the phone. Fuck you TEX and the PTSD this thread is causing me. 

Yep. Hate Tex. Fuck you, Tex. More than a quarter century has passed and I still have ptsd from his fuckery. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I think spring semester of 1990 might have been the inauguration of Tex.  I started in Fall 1990 and Tex is all I ever used.

Sounds about right. A coding error in Tex might have been responsible for my whole career. I owe that dramatic bastard as lot. 

13 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Back in my day, we checked grades and registered for class...on the internet. Took about 5 minutes.

Joey Bosa Video GIF

I still don't get this checking grades thing....grades showed up in the mail and you knew if they were good or not by your parent's reaction.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

I still don't get this checking grades thing....grades showed up in the mail and you knew if they were good or not by your parent's reaction.....

Take your last final and go home for Xmas break.  Change permanent address on file with the university to your Austin address. Call in to check your grades because a month is a long time to wait to see how you did.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Take your last final and go home for Xmas break.  Change permanent address on file with the university to your Austin address. Call in to check your grades because a month is a long time to wait to see how you did.

But again who cares...at that point it was done and you typically had a pretty good idea what you made in a class anyways? I can honestly say I never checked my grades...I didn't even check em when they came in the mail.  I was pretty certain what I had regardless.

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

But again who cares...at that point it was done and you typically had a pretty good idea what you made in a class anyways? I can honestly say I never checked my grades...I didn't even check em when they came in the mail.  I was pretty certain what I had regardless.

Correction...I know exactly what my 1st semester grades were....but only because my father called me into the den and proceeded to read my grades off to me disapprovingly and then ask if I felt those were acceptable grades for the money they were paying for my education.  I had the lack of good sense to smile at him and say I had a bunch of scholarships and we got a refund check from the University so he didn't pay anything for those grades....I was digging post holes in 28 degree weather the next morning that I don't think we ever actually used to build fence....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Here’s how fucked up it was back in the day. 

I was there 1977-1981. We'd mill around the tables in the AC (Academic Center, before the UGL was ready), with that phone book of classes folded and dog-eared, signing up for classes. If we needed 'Instructor Approval' because we were taking something out of sequence, or we needed to pull seniority on someone to get a class in our major, then we'd have to go to the prof's office and get them to sign for it and go back. File the stuff, and then in a couple of weeks we'd get a bill in the mail for $250 or so for the semester. I think adding football tickets was another $50 or $60 but it might've been cheaper than that.

Then we'd have to go to the Co-op to buy books and figure out how we'd come up with the $100 that was going to cost us. Probably get a couple egg rolls and a won ton from the cart outside for $1.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I started in the mid-90’s and had TEX all four years. I assume a lot of you guys weren’t in the business school or didn’t enjoy taking history courses, because I never had a problem with TEX. 

I lost my first ID my freshman year, late. The new photo showed hair tucked behind my ears and multiple ear rings with a chiseled, angry mug. I’ve never looked like that again in my life. I lost that ID in one of my moves years ago, which is a shame, really. It would be helpful to show my sons that I was once a wild man and to show my youngest daughter one of the types of scamps she needs to proactively avoid. 

Someone found it

IMG_5783.jpeg

• Haha 1

Has anyone actually read all of these posts? Half of these posts?

It's easy to scroll by them, but there are so many and all about registering for class over the years

I look forward to the discussion on what shuttle routes you were on. Anyway, carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I look forward to the discussion on what shuttle routes you were on. Anyway, carry on.

Do you want Campus Loop(y)?  Because this is how you get Campus Loop(y)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

You rang?

Here’s how fucked up it was back in the day, they would post a list of everyone’s SSN on a bulletin board and that’s how you found out your grade. 

My Dad was uphauled when he learned that I knew my SSN by memory.  Said I was the first person in the family to do that....

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

My Dad was uphauled when he learned that I knew my SSN by memory.  Said I was the first person in the family to do that....

My daddy cooked me a steak, put his hand on my shoulder then broke into tears of pride before he could utter a word. After awhile, he regained his composure.

My son is now a scholar.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

My dad was disappointed I had my SS card in my wallet when he took me to UT on a campus visit because "it's dumb to carry that around with you when you could lose it, just memorize the number for crying out loud!"

I would be disappointed with my kid as well if he was carrying proof that he was a member of the Schutzstaffel in his wallet...

Edited by BurntOrangeCrush
  • Haha 7

All of you talking about registration. You haven't experienced anything like the 60s in  Gregory Gym. It was hot. It was crowded. Sometimes waiting from Monday morning until Friday afternoon for a closed class that you wanted to open up. Afraid to even go to the RR in fear that it might open and then close again while you were taking a piss.  That was the real back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

All of you talking about registration. You haven't experienced anything like the 60s in  Gregory Gym. It was hot. It was crowded. Sometimes waiting from Monday morning until Friday afternoon for a closed class that you wanted to open up. Afraid to even go to the RR in fear that it might open and then close again while you were taking a piss.  That was the real back in the day. 

If you did 60’s why are you up

at 7:30 pm? It’s way past your bedtime. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

Apparently you and @Armybrat need to fight for the worlds last catheter.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I started in the fall of 1991. My initial registration was in the lobby of Jester West standing in line and filling out cards. I am not sure if that was because I was an incoming freshman or if that was the last semester everyone manually registered. The rest of my time on campus, we used TEX. I also had my student ID picture taken in some remote recess of Gregory Gym in late July or early August in the pre-A/C Gregory days. I never lost my ID, so I had the same picture with sweat glistening on my forehead all four years.  

I never even saw the internet during my time on campus. I did have a couple of roommates with University e-mail accounts my Junior year, though. Imagine: no texting and no e-mailing to communicate with 50,000 students. 

How is that possible? I started Fall '92 and got a university email address on my first visit to the UGL/Peter T Flawn Academic center with their Mac/PC lab since I didn't have a computer of my own in my dorm. Was able to score bob@mail.utexas.edu and was able to keep using it for several years post graduation via a pop server until a faculty member wanted to claim the address and they must have discovered I was no longer enrolled 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1