Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

So we're not getting to 1,000 pages?

500 pages should be the new target. This thread is filled to the brim with rambling idiocy and, despite everyone's best efforts, we didn't even come close to 500. Frankly, I blame guys like fatkid and golfclap for disappearing. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

500 pages should be the new target. This thread is filled to the brim with rambling idiocy and, despite everyone's best efforts, we didn't even come close to 500. Frankly, I blame guys like fatkid and golfclap for disappearing. 

Is he still fuming that Sark was the hire instead of Billy Napier?

I think that was him. I can't keep you ppl straight

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That plus Machinator and the merging of back to back posts. Hell katifd's quintuple post shit wouldn't help any more 

8 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Is he still fuming that Sark was the hire instead of Billy Napier?

I think that was him. I can't keep you ppl straight

No clue. That's the thing though, there are content and conversation drivers, then there are drive-by quippers, there are news updaters, there are question askers, there are simple idiots, and then there are lurkers. We can all fit around any of that at any given time, but everyone buckets primarily into limited set of categories. Content and conversation drivers are as such because they post a lot, they're usually trying to post something provocative or creative or at least original. They're going to have plenty of takes and some of those will be flat out absurd in hindsight. It goes with the territory. This board is inherently better when more people are participating and, God forbid, taking some risk in their positions. 

That's not a rant at you, wop genius. Just food for thought for everyone while it's slow.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of Archmania, it seems like Sarkisian likes to slow burn on the recruiting trail in terms of commits and top targets. That does not lend itself well to dozens of football board idiots coming in and derailing threads for 20 pages at a time when something big goes down. It also is not helpful that the 9.95 sites have switched to youtube content and Gerry has gone national. It negates all of satya and BO&Ws gut reactions that we get to dogpile. 1000 pages may be a bygone era of McRibs, spoilers on 9.95 info, and cat facts.   

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's the thing though, there are content and conversation drivers, then there are drive-by quippers, there are news updaters, there are question askers, there are simple idiots, and then there are lurkers.

The five, err, six posters you meet in heaven. 

Mediocre joke brought to you by a drive by quipper 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No clue. That's the thing though, there are content and conversation drivers, then there are drive-by quippers, there are news updaters, there are question askers, there are simple idiots, and then there are lurkers. We can all fit around any of that at any given time, but everyone buckets primarily into limited set of categories. Content and conversation drivers are as such because they post a lot, they're usually trying to post something provocative or creative or at least original. They're going to have plenty of takes and some of those will be flat out absurd in hindsight. It goes with the territory. This board is inherently better when more people are participating and, God forbid, taking some risk in their positions. 

That's not a rant at you, wop genius. Just food for thought for everyone while it's slow.

tumblr_lp1unrOdGg1qaclw9.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Outside of Archmania, it seems like Sarkisian likes to slow burn on the recruiting trail in terms of commits and top targets. That does not lend itself well to dozens of football board idiots coming in and derailing threads for 20 pages at a time when something big goes down. It also is not helpful that the 9.95 sites have switched to youtube content and Gerry has gone national. It negates all of satya and BO&Ws gut reactions that we get to dogpile. 1000 pages may be a bygone era of McRibs, spoilers on 9.95 info, and cat facts.   

I think recruiting in general has just become a lot more "solved" than it was 5-10 years ago. There's not as much mystery and surprise as to where players are going to pick which leads to a lot less speculation and ideating of what direction the staff could go and overall discussion. Having looked at class predictions as they change from Spring to Fall it does feel like you can expect to know what the class will look like by September minus a few pieces. Plus you've lost 2 full months of discussion per class with ESD becoming the new signing day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I prefer to lurk on the 9.95.  I know there are other people way more informed and qualified to discuss what's really going on.  I don't have the drive or time to keep up with things on my own anymore.   I do appreciate the low signal-to-noise posters here and what they bring to the table.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I prefer to lurk on the 9.95.  I know there are other people way more informed and qualified to discuss what's really going on.  I don't have the drive or time to keep up with things on my own anymore.   I do appreciate the low signal-to-noise posters here and what they bring to the table.  

dbccfd19953fe71c8dc09bef33a689301caec376

• Haha 3

We should get Derka interested in football recruiting

Also, this partnership with Bobby feels weird. Like somehow Bobby is going to wind up owning surly when it's all said and done. I'm too old and tired to scat bomb another website.

• Haha 3
  • Prepare your anus 2

50 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

What year was it that we hit 1000?  I feel like it was on Shaggy wasn’t it?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The portal thread is at 192 pages, which substantially reduces the page count on this thread.  If we combined the two into a new talent acquisition thread it would be 622 pages.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think the class of 2020 thread hit 500 in July. That was the summer of Demas being Demas, losing Broughton at the Rivals camp because we didn't have any other highly rated recruits there, covid planning, Bijan giving a silent to fOSU, and ~200 pages of Tom Herman content. 

Right. There is the fact that, for the last 14 years, the offseason was the best part of being a Texas football fan. Every offseason, Gerald Wilbon could be the next Terrance Cody, Andrew Fitzgerald could be the next JJ Watt, and the lightbulb would finally come on for Naashon Hughes. Of course, all those dreams came crashing down every fall, but hope springs eternal, and that drives conversation.

In short, it was like being a Texas A&M fan for the last 84 years. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Right. There is the fact that, for the last 14 years, the offseason was the best part of being a Texas football fan. Every offseason, Gerald Wilbon could be the next Terrance Cody, Andrew Fitzgerald could be the next JJ Watt, and the lightbulb would finally come on for Naashon Hughes. Of course, all those dreams came crashing down every fall, but hope springs eternal, and that drives conversation.

In short, it was like being a Texas A&M fan for the last 84 years. 

The 2016 class of late flips and dominos falling our way was one of the most frenzied NSD I can remember. I really thought Erik Fowler was going to be somebody 😂

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

And Kate.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1