Joint Session of Congress to Count Electoral Votes and Declare Election Results: 1/6/21

Mrs Whiggins

Due to several threads about topics such as the President and the election lawsuits, I thought having a specific thread pertaining to the Joint Session might be useful. Let the drama commence.

This has been posted before, but here's a summary of how it usually goes:

January 6, 2021: Joint Session of Congress to Count Electoral Votes and Declare Election Results

The Senate and House of Representatives assemble at 1:00 p.m.in a joint session at the Capitol, in the House chamber, to count the electoral votes and declare the results(3 U.S.C. §15). The Vice President presides as President of the Senate. The Vice President opens the certificates and presents them to four tellers, two from each chamber. The tellers read and make a list of the returns. When the votes have been ascertained and counted, the tellers transmit them to the Vice President.If one of the tickets has received a majority of 270 or more electoral votes, the Vice President announces the results, which “shall be deemed a sufficient declaration of the persons, if any, elected President and Vice President.”

Joint Session Challenges to Electoral Vote Returns

While the tellers announce the results,Members may object to the returns from any individual state as they are announced. Objections to individual state returns must be made in writing by at least one Member each of the Senate and House of Representatives. If an objection meets these requirements, the joint session recesses and the two houses separate and debate the question in their respective chambers fora maximum of two hours. The two houses then vote separately to accept or reject the objection. They then reassemble in joint session, and announce the results of their respective votes. An objection to a state’s electoral vote must be approved by both houses in order for any contested votes to be excluded.

In before "Classics:  Civil War Edition"  

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that two-hour chamber debate.  

IN close elections, the Congressional certification process has always been the least controversial and rarest to even be recognized.  On my 2020-21 POTUS bingo card, I thought violence would ensue on Election Day, or that next weekend when the race was called, or on Electoral College voting day, or Inauguration Day.  Anywhere like county offices or celebrations in public spaces.  But I did not see thousands of Trumpers flocking to the most heavily secured building complex on the Eastern Seaboard for Congressional Certification Day.  I did not have that on my bingo card.  The counting process, in years past, has typically taken about an hour or so, and is really just a chance for some Rep from that state have a cute little soundbite moment when their state comes up in the roll call.   So if Pence can keep order, they will likely head off to their chamber meetings from 2-4pm-EST and then come back to the joint floor to bitch and moan and showboat.  So expect the whole debacle to take until about 4:00p-CST.  

I look forward to the awkward media conversations happening in the streets of Capitol Hill regarding Open Carry.  

This is going to be the highest ratings day in C-Span history.  Somewhere in D.C. right now, Steve Scully is doing rails in his bathroom, lifting weights, all while steeling himself in his mirror, "You were fucking born for this moment Scully.  The nation needs you baby, let's do this!"  

What happens outside will hopefully be peaceful, but inside the building will be where the Shakespearean drama unfolds.

I'm expecting a lot of soundbite posturing like the Impeachment featured. Slightly different due to COVID now being a thing (at least for some people it is), but the main rogue players in the House and Senate will be trotting out in front of the microphones to get their moment. As you said, before it was typically not a big deal, but I'm thinking some of the newbies are going to try and grab some spotlight, and Devin and Jim may still be wearing their medals.

The Dems will vote to confirm all the states. The only question left is do the traitors get a 2 hour debate for each “battleground” state or just one 2 hour bullshit session. Either way. 

the Puss Boys outside will FAAFO with real police and guards. 

lots of meanie tweets. 

and that’s about it 

"What, these?  These are my everyday magazines.  The really dangerous ones are locked in that truck over.....dammit Tarrio...keep your mouth shut!"  

There's no open carry in D.C., and you have to register your ammo separately.  Why do I get the feeling that in the next 48 hours, I'm gonna hear a lot of Trumpers anoint themselves as District of Columbia firearm laws experts?  Everybody's a guest editor to Jane's Gun Recognition Handbook when shit like this happens. 

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Tarrio is brazen and arrogant because he thinks Trump will cover for him. And also because he's a dumbass. There's definitely an element of dumbass there.

What court has jurisdiction for firearms crimes in D.C. because it is a Federal District it may be different than Virginia or Maryland.  I ask because these shitheels may be looking for a pardon.

I think this will be a charge against at least a few of the snowflakes

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-4504.html

Edited by TexasEd

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

He had high capacity mags on his person. I bet they are getting warrants on all his associates to find the guns

I snooped around on Parler and they are spreading the word that it was planted by the cops, the cops are looking to bust them because of the mayor, and please to donate to his fund.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I snooped around on Parler and they are spreading the word that it was planted by the cops, the cops are looking to bust them because of the mayor, and please to donate to his fund.

I haven't seen the video footage (if there is any), but I'm guessing the Proud Boys leader was walking around with the mags already in his tac vest.  Unless David Blaine moonlights as a D.C. cop (i call dibs on rights to said HBO special), and magically put the high-capacity ones in there while slapping on the cuffs...I'd say this guy is fucked.  But doesn't mean his boys won't raise a million bucks for his defense fund between now and the 20th.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

But doesn't mean his boys won't raise a million bucks for his defense fund between now and the 20th.  

That requires them to have jobs, which is hard to do if they can take off a few days at the start of January for a little rally in DC...a rally which will see plenty of them outed/doxed on the news.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Bill Kristol (sorry Anastasis) seemed to think this would happen; that Pence was navigating a fjord and would either resign or find a way to avoid being present.

Dementia is a bitch or he spoiled the surprise 

Edited by Js1

I will go ahead and show my ignorance, but it occurred to me last night that the plans to object to some of the states may be part of something else, too.  If enough Republicans leave the floor in protest, due to "the unfair treatment to which they and the President are being subjected", could they remove enough Congresscritters to deny a quorum?  If so, what does that do to the process?

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dementia is a bitch or he spoiled the surprise 

"Only step in if Pence needed to step away for a time" ???  If Mikey can't hack it for 2 hours, he shouldn't be in politics.  Unless Pence is going to claim, he can't be around mixed bathing for more than 120 minutes, in which case Trump will have to give him cover with the Evangelical base and grant him a dismissal.  Well played long-game Mike, your shit about not being around women after certain hours has come back to benefit you.

In other news, update on Steve Scully at C-SPAN.  I'm told that in preparation for his network's most watched hours in history tomorrow, Steve has had an HGH injection, 2 hits of Molly, 3 grams of blow, and several 7 & 7's in the last 12 hours.  He plans to fuck his way through Northwest Drive tonight in preparation for his appearance tomorrow on the Hill.  He tells me that not only have no other networks shows up to this Congressional certification process until this year (except C-SPAN), but that nobody even knew it actually took place---as such Steve Scully declared himself "God King of Washington" for the next 48 hours and is happy to hear from the next caller.  

32 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

He's flip flopping away.

He tested positive for COVID over a month ago so brain fog plus age means he's going to be incoherent if they can't give him his prompts. A good journo would take advantage of this and separate him from the pack for questions. Not an easy thing as the GOP tries to avoid that, but if caught off guard, can be revealing.

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I will go ahead and show my ignorance, but it occurred to me last night that the plans to object to some of the states may be part of something else, too.  If enough Republicans leave the floor in protest, due to "the unfair treatment to which they and the President are being subjected", could they remove enough Congresscritters to deny a quorum?  If so, what does that do to the process?

I actually had to look it up - Quorum = 51 Senators.  So not a problem.

In fact, I'm wondering if some of the R Senators speaking out against Cruz and Co. are doing so because they don't like Cruz.  He doesn't strike me as being very popular in Congress.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I actually had to look it up - Quorum = 51 Senators.  So not a problem.

In fact, I'm wondering if some of the R Senators speaking out against Cruz and Co. are doing so because they don't like Cruz.  He doesn't strike me as being very popular in Congress.

Apparently he's not. My spouse has commented on it and he's not getting that info from me, but from his own contacts in the political realm.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dammit!  Those Rs are just so much smarter!  We TOTALLY should have figured this out!

Al Gore - oops

Dan Quayle - oops

Walter Mondale - oops

Humpert Humphrey - oops

Richard Nixon - oops

On 1/4/2021 at 2:40 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I just want to see someone punch Ted Cruz in the face. 

Fuck yeah, that mucilaginous pussy ass lizard person. Most punchable face in the universe. Take donations to the Treasury for the right to punch this face, we'd solve our national debt problem in one week.

ted cruz hug GIF by Fusion

• blacklab changed the title to Riot at the Capital
  • immamac changed the title to Joint Session of Congress to Count Electoral Votes and Declare Election Results: 1/6/21
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked and pinned this topic
  • immamac locked and unpinned this topic