Autopsy on Capitol Hill Police Failings

Firemans4Horn

What the fuck happened today?

I’ve seen more people arrested at a little league baseball game. 

Created this to have a separate post-mortem thread on how unprepared, inept, and negligent the FBI, Capitol Hill police, national guard and other entities were for today. 

I know there's more security now, but in 1990 which doesn't seem that long ago to me I wandered all over the building through old corridors while pulling on doors to see if they'd open. Not a soul questioned me or cared. Different world.

• Like 1

Someone shot (through a door) & killed that unarmed "protester". They ruined their career unfortunately.

Similar things happened on the George Floyd protests when they were overwhelmed, had to cut WH lights, and bunker the orange bitch. Lack of planning.

What the fuck happened today?

I’ve seen more people arrested at a little league baseball game. 

Created this to have a separate post-mortem thread on how unprepared, inept, and negligent the FBI, Capitol Hill police, national guard and other entities were for today. 

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Looks like 8 v 800 in this video

One cop comes in swinging.  They werent all soft. Zero cops in riot gear.  Half of them seem unarmed. 

I'm not gonna fault the response of the few cops in that clip, although some of the ones inside the building can go fuck themselves. The fault is with the leadership who knew this protest/riot was going to take place and decided that a handful of stadium entry screeners were all the security that was needed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

definitely a huge element of white privilege (moreso than supremacy imo)...i mean, let's be honest, guns would have been drawn as soon as they started pushing against the barricade if this had been a crowd of brown people.

BUT, watching videos like those above, i'm leaning more towards incompetent and unprepared rather than complicit. those cops look pretty terrified. i saw another vid inside where the mob is just pouring in, and there was just one cop there by himself, he just flattened his back against the wall to let them pass but he definitely had scared eyes. 

they day shift was woefully unprepared.   

That incident above is definitely a case of front line officers being set up to fail by their leadership.

But there are other instances where their fellow officers lifted the barricades and let the rioters pass and of some of them taking fucking selfies with the thugs.

There was a combination of incompetence and complicity and helplessness from Capitol Police today.

And hopefully Senator Murphy gets to the bottom of all of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

There may have been some Capitol police in on it, there are videos of them opening the gates.

This message from Rudy he thought he was leaving for Tubberville may imply that the plan was to get the rioters in the building and then Trump could declare martial law to delay the inauguration.

https://thedispatch.com/p/giuliani-to-senator-try-to-just-slow

Giuliani tells Tuberville that McConnell wants to narrow the objections to just three states and explains that the Trump team wants to object to 10. “So if you could object to every state and, along with a congressman, get a hearing for every state, I know we would delay you a lot, but it would give us the opportunity to get the legislators who are very, very close to pulling their vote, particularly after what McConnell did today.”

The problem for Giuliani? He left his message on the voicemail of another senator, who shared it with The Dispatch

Curious to see where Homeland Security comes out on this.

I'm certainly no internet sleuth, but I've bumped into more than a handful of "I'm going dark until after the 6th," "Trust me, a plan is in motion," and "This ends one way or the other" comments on relatively normal sites. I can't imagine what Parler and 4chan were like. No credible threats discovered, or worth taking extra precautions against? Really?

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Curious to see where Homeland Security comes out on this.

I'm certainly no internet sleuth, but I've bumped into more than a handful of "I'm going dark until after the 6th," "Trust me, a plan is in motion," and "This ends one way or the other" comments on relatively normal sites. I can't imagine what Parler and 4chan were like. No credible threats discovered, or worth taking extra precautions against? Really?

Fucking Buzzfeed spent more time investigating this than the FBI/DOJ/DHS. 

10 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

One cop comes in swinging.  They werent all soft. Zero cops in riot gear.  Half of them seem unarmed. 

I'm not gonna fault the response of the few cops in that clip, although some of the ones inside the building can go fuck themselves. The fault is with the leadership who knew this protest/riot was going to take place and decided that a handful of stadium entry screeners were all the security that was needed. 

I think this is right. I don't think there were a bunch of secret white supremacists that infiltrated the Capitol Police (though I do think the general systemic view by police that white people aren't a threat played a part). I don't know exactly how the chain of command works, but I assume much of their preparation for events is based on inputs about potential threats from the DOJ, DHS, and FBI, and Trump has spent the last few months removing anyone in those organizations who might be interested in communicating accurate intel about specific threats against Congress from Trump fans.

None of this was a surprise. Literally all anyone would need to do to know what was up was follow Bellingcat or any of dozens of other sources that closely monitor far right groups. But Capitol Police clearly weren't notified of any threat. Someone in the administration made sure of that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I think this is right. I don't think there were a bunch of secret white supremacists that infiltrated the Capitol Police (though I do think the general systemic view by police that white people aren't a threat played a part). I don't know exactly how the chain of command works, but I assume much of their preparation for events is based on inputs about potential threats from the DOJ, DHS, and FBI, and Trump has spent the last few months removing anyone in those organizations who might be interested in communicating accurate intel about specific threats against Congress from Trump fans.

None of this was a surprise. Literally all anyone would need to do to know what was up was follow Bellingcat or any of dozens of other sources that closely monitor far right groups. But Capitol Police clearly weren't notified of any threat. Someone in the administration made sure of that.

Yeah, certain areas seemed to have "enough" cops to mount a defense and they "went cop."  Other areas did not and they opened the gates or otherwise capitulated.

Seems to me to be a lack of preparation rather than rank and file collusion, although that's certainly possible at the individual level.

And the reason for the lack of preparation would seem to have insidious roots.

I might suspect that Bowser and the DC authorities "went light" in an effort not to duplicate the excesses of the BLM/Floyd protests.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There was no failing.

The entirety of law enforcement supports Trumpism and his takeover of our democracy. Law Enforcement is our enemy. 

In fairness to this tweet, the only person that made a direct charge at the SS during this got popped too.  Much different mindset from the capitol police.  

I'm honestly amazed that there isn't more of a crowd control system baked into the building's exterior like the WH.  Some lock boxes on the roof full of tear gas launchers would have nipped this in the bud.  How a highly defensible building with a lot of open terrain to cross got breached is hard to explain beyond gross incompetence or someone being complicit.  

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, certain areas seemed to have "enough" cops to mount a defense and they "went cop."  Other areas did not and they opened the gates or otherwise capitulated.

Seems to me to be a lack of preparation rather than rank and file collusion, although that's certainly possible at the individual level.

And the reason for the lack of preparation would seem to have insidious roots.

I might suspect that Bowser and the DC authorities "went light" in an effort not to duplicate the excesses of the BLM/Floyd protests.

I don't think Bowser has the authority to unilaterally deploy DC police onto Capitol grounds. The web of concurrent jurisdictions is confusing, but I'm pretty sure that's federal only (Capitol and Park Police) unless DC gets invited.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't think Bowser has the authority to unilaterally deploy DC police onto Capitol grounds. The web of concurrent jurisdictions is confusing, but I'm pretty sure that's federal only (Capitol and Park Police) unless DC gets invited.

I believe that’s true of all DC technically.  Congress has ultimate authority over DC and cedes some authority to the mayor and city council for the residential and commercial areas. Bowser’ concern was always crowd control and/or vandalism on the streets of DC.  Why the Capitol wasn’t prepared is the elephant in the room. 

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Probably right.

The even more baffling thing is why more people weren't arrested after it calmed down some.  I can get treating people in the public areas of the capitol building as just "protestors."  But those in the chamber, offices, and other restricted areas should have at least been cited for trespassing.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Probably right.

The even more baffling thing is why more people weren't arrested after it calmed down some.  I can get treating people in the public areas of the capitol building as just "protestors."  But those in the chamber, offices, and other restricted areas should have at least been cited for trespassing.

That's the systemic racism thing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Structural white supremacy, internalized bias against non-whites, latent deference to fellow whites, normalized white privilege.  

They’re all sides of the same coin. A society that inherently gives white people more benefit of the doubt and second chances. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It also provides convenient cover for obfuscating who the perpetrators were. If they bottled up, arrested, and validated that this was 99% driven by MAGAts and Q tards, it destroys any potential excuse that Antifa were the real problem. It’s another failure that conveniently supports the coup.

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re into seditious conspiracy territory now. 

Nothing will happen...till the 20th. Merrick will be fun to watch. Assuming the coup is over and that is uuuuhhh not likely. Get your popcorn. You better buy some flair as well.

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re into seditious conspiracy territory now. 

We were already there, with at least some of the protest "groups" and Dotard himself.

This is like a seditious conspiracy to aid and abet a seditious conspiracy.