Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

6 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Settlement? WTF?

It's the cost of defense of the lawsuit.  She apparently never entered the Capitol and was never criminally charged.

Thus, she had a colorable claim of retaliatory discharge for exercising 1A rights.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's the cost of defense of the lawsuit.  She apparently never entered the Capitol and was never criminally charged.

Thus, she had a colorable claim of retaliatory discharge for exercising 1A rights.

Is it your position that LEO have a constitutionally protected right to make unsupported allegations that do the exact opposite of uphilding and defending the Constitution?

Edited by Willfully Horn

4 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Fuck me, the comments are nauseating.

Yeah there’s a lot of crap comments and this one still stands out to me. How is the headline misleading or woke lol?

28 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Is it your position that LEO have a constitutionally protected right to make unsupported allegations that do the exact opposite of uphilding and defending the Constitution?

I believe that is the case. Why would that be any different for cops?

With that said.

d7b51028-b6df-42d0-8b68-ae531ffd2883_tex

16 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I assumed there was an oath of office required of LEO.

Are you under the impression that cops take the sane oath as the military or federal law enforcement?

57 minutes ago, F250 said:

Are you under the impression that cops take the sane oath as the military or federal law enforcement?

Something similar, yes. My quick search does not find me wrong, either, though particular jurisdiction might have some bearing.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I didn't take a position.  But, it appears that yes, the first amendment protects lies and disinformation.  However, all she apparently did is post photos.  Whether her status as a LEO diminishes her 1A protections, legally, I do not know.

"Colorable" means, in lawdogtalk, facially plausible if not winning.  Thus, the department was going to have to defend the suit at a cost likely exceeding the amount of settlement.  Whether they would win or lose, not quite sure.

Also, insurance, as you likely know, will insure a claim for X amount, say $1M.  The amount they pay in attorneys fees defending reduces that payout.  So, when, as appears to be the case here, insurance is paying the claim and the defense, they have nearly 100% say in whether to settle and for how much.  Right and wrong tends to go out the window.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Good. Fuck that guy 

No.  More than just "fuck that guy."  I hope he dies a painful death, and right soon.  He is evil incarnate.  He is bitter and angry, and wants the rest of the world and humanity to suffer to make himself feel better.  I want him to live the remainder of his days in excruciating pain, physical and emotional, with no hope for relief, and no easy path to suicide.  Just a slow drip of decay, causing his death in months.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Prisoner complains about life in prison being not fun; wants release to complain publicly:

He probably misses the whistle guy.  Maybe they can pipe the whistle noises in 24/7.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashli Babbitt’s mother tried taking a memorial rock into Arlington National Cemetery for Memorial Day.

Today isn’t about domestic terrorists, it’s about those who gave their lives for our country.

I’m glad they turned her away, they probably would have tried dumping the rock off somewhere on the property.

It’s sad she lost her daughter, but it’s more sad that she can’t accept accountability on her daughter’s behalf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 5

36 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Fuck her and her dead, traitor daughter.

Yep. I don’t put the sins of the daughter on the mom, but the mom is actively trying to make her a martyr for a horrible cause. The mom is now even more of a traitor than her daughter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ashli Babbitt’s mother tried taking a memorial rock into Arlington National Cemetery for Memorial Day.

Today isn’t about domestic terrorists, it’s about those who gave their lives for our country.

I’m glad they turned her away, they probably would have tried dumping the rock off somewhere on the property.

It’s sad she lost her daughter, but it’s more sad that she can’t accept accountability on her daughter’s behalf.

image.gif.ce69e192cf261412a531beb9c7cad136.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. I don’t put the sins of the daughter on the mom, but the mom is actively trying to make her a martyr for a horrible cause. The mom is now even more of a traitor than her daughter. 

The daughter was mentally ill.  She should have been stopped from going to DC  by multiple people. We had to come down hard on the Qanon nut in our family and clash with her dad and step mom to keep her from going.  

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The daughter was mentally ill.  She should have been stopped from going to DC  by multiple people. We had to come down hard on the Qanon nut in our family and clash with her dad and step mom to keep her from going.  

I get what you're saying.  And it's all valid.  But first off---guys like you and I are inherently raised to stay outta other people's business.  Even loved ones, IRL.  And when we go get involved or offer help, it's because of a physical illness or addiction or some other glaring sickness that we just gotta get in there and give support.  I am never up in anybody's shit until the ask, but if it's cancer or addiction or pain killers, I will offer up my assistance.  I don't have technical counseling training or anything but I'm a good listener and great coordinator or logistics.  But there simply is no basis in any therapy or cognitive field that deals with, "Oh no honey, I know you're feeling different lately.  But please don't go storm the Capitol and attempt to overthrow the U.S. Government."  Her mom is being a grifting shitbag but I don't fault her in a way because this is such uncharted territory.  This isn't "Don't smoke PCP" or "I know you're having dark thoughts about taking your own life after the breakup."  It's literally a voicemail, of "Ashley, hey it's mom.  I saw you charged some expenses to my CC for Washington this week.  Uh, hope it's not what I think it is.  Love you, call me back."  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Which I will be more than happy to desecrate.

I can honestly say I'd never once considered doing anything inappropriate at Arlington Cemetery until today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Same with me, but here we are.

Good example of how completely donald JAIL trump has fucked up the entire country.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That’s because it’s underwater. /costanza

If you have to explain a joke, generally it's not a very good joke.  I clearly have a singular wit.  

A lot of people don't know this, but Bannon was actually pretty well directly responsible for the expedition failure of Biosphere 2.  Imagine this, a Goldman Sachs bank hustler pals up with and leeches off an eccentric billionaire and bungles it all up due to his own ego.  I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.  It's just bizarre that someone involved with that whole fiasco at one point was a key advisor to a President.  

I could be wrong on this, because I am doing this strictly off memory, but the billionaire I believe was an Oklahoma guy, so there's that for you guys.  

On 5/27/2024 at 11:28 PM, atomheartbevo said:

y'all, has anyone seen the "rock" she tried to bring in? it's very disingenuous to call that a rock. it's a fucking boulder

• Rage+1 1

What a shame...

WASHINGTON (AP) — A military veteran who was convicted of injuring a police officer’s hand during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol was sentenced on Friday to five years in prison.

John George Todd III declined to address the court before U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell sentenced him. The judge said Todd, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, hasn’t shown any remorse for his role in damaging the country’s “fragile” democratic institutions.

“This is not a patriot. This is not conduct becoming of a Marine,” the judge told Todd, 34.

Prosecutors recommended a prison sentence of 12 years and seven months for Todd, who traveled from his Missouri home to attend then-President Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” rally in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6.

“As the country approaches anther contentious election year, one that will see a rematch of the 2020 Presidential election that was at issue for the rioters on January 6, every January 6 sentencing sends a message about the importance of democratic values and the rule of law,” prosecutors wrote.

After entering the Capitol, Todd repeatedly pushed against officers inside the Rotunda, ignored commands to leave and screamed profanities at police.

Todd was carrying a fiberglass pole attached to a flag. When a Metropolitan Police Department officer tried to grab it from him, Todd and the officer wrestled for control of the pole until it splintered and cut the officer’s hand.

The officer, Noah Rathbun, needed seven stitches and missed nine days of work. Todd argued that the officer’s injuries were self-inflicted.

A different rioter, retired New York Police Department officer Thomas Webster, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for attacking Rathbun outside the Capitol earlier that day. Webster swung a flagpole at Rathbun and then tackled him and grabbed his gas mask.

Todd has been jailed since a jury in February convicted him of six counts, including obstruction of the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress for certifying President Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory over Trump.

“This was a dangerous first, where the peaceful transition to a new presidential administration was disrupted,” the judge said.

Todd initially was charged with only misdemeanors, but a grand jury indicted him on felony charges after prosecutors discovered video of him assaulting Rathbun.

After his arrest, Todd repeatedly violated the terms of his pretrial release. He moved from Blue Springs, Missouri, to South Carolina to be in his sister’s care.

Todd’s attorneys said he is a combat veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder who needs mental health treatment, not incarceration.

“Incarceration would only exacerbate Mr. Todd’s health and mental health problems,” a defense attorney wrote last year.

Todd was a Marine from 2009 to 2013 and served in Afghanistan, his family said. Todd received an “other than honorable” discharge from the military related to his abuse of alcohol, according to prosecutors.

More than 100 police officers were injured during the riot. Over 1,400 people have been charged with Capitol riot-related federal crimes. Nearly 900 of them have been sentenced, with roughly two-thirds of them receiving a term of imprisonment ranging from a few days to 22 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 4

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about why Biden is not up 30 points, but instead finds himself  in a dead heat with felon Trump. Then it hit me. We’re witnessing a nationwide  sustained manic breakdown the likes of which is normally confined to small groups or individuals. The last time history has recorded something on this scale was during 1930s Germany. Like David Koresh and Jim Jones before him, felon Trump has (for reasons I will never understand) been able to tap into the psyches of millions which has rendered them incapable of rational thought or the ability to think critically. The religious like fervor with which they pay obeisance to a man they know to be deeply flawed is like nothing we’ve seen in American presidential politics. 

I’ve said it many times in this forum. In order for felon Trump’s adherents to live with the mental and emotional dissonance that uncritical support of him engenders, they reject the knowing of facts and rely instead on what they believe because belief in this environment is invulnerable to disproof. Unless something changes and the fever breaks, the lessons of Waco, Guyana and 30’s Germany will go unheeded with the same disastrous results.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about why Biden is not up 30 points, but instead finds himself  in a dead heat with felon Trump. Then it hit me. We’re witnessing a nationwide  sustained manic breakdown the likes of which is normally confined to small groups or individuals. The last time history has recorded something on this scale was during 1930s Germany. Like David Koresh and Jim Jones before him, felon Trump has (for reasons I will never understand) been able to tap into the psyches of millions which has rendered them incapable of rational thought or the ability to think critically. The religious like fervor with which they pay obeisance to a man they know to be deeply flawed is like nothing we’ve seen in American presidential politics. 

I’ve said it many times in this forum. In order for felon Trump’s adherents to live with the mental and emotional dissonance that uncritical support of him engenders, they reject the knowing of facts and rely instead on what they believe because belief in this environment is invulnerable to disproof. Unless something changes and the fever breaks, the lessons of Waco, Guyana and 30’s Germany will go unheeded with the same disastrous results.

Comparisons to Germany in the 20s and 30s seem appropriate. I don’t necessarily see GQP as fundamentally evil as the Nazis but their supporters are very similar to the general German public. They’re pissed at their prospects in life and use nationalism and bigotry to improve their lot. I see America teetering where one side is a nationalistic leader who creates a new America. I thank god that Trump isn’t in his 40s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shorter version: “Duh.”

What we’re seeing is not unique or complicated. Same shit, different nationalist despot.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

It's cute watching white people slowly figure out cult of personality

didn't you guys ever listen to Living Color?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Unless something changes and the fever breaks, the lessons of Waco, Guyana and 30’s Germany will go unheeded with the same disastrous results.

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Comparisons to Germany in the 20s and 30s seem appropriate. I don’t necessarily see GQP as fundamentally evil as the Nazis but their supporters are very similar to the general German public. They’re pissed at their prospects in life and use nationalism and bigotry to improve their lot. I see America teetering where one side is a nationalistic leader who creates a new America. I thank god that Trump isn’t in his 40s. 

I don’t think the comparisons to Germany are apt. Germany had just disastrously lost a war that resulted in their neighbors wrecking their economy after the war, with millions of Germans wondering where their next meal is coming from, compounded by stumbling into a global economic depression  Germany alone had an increase of over 225% unemployment, and a drop of over 40% in industrial production.

MAGA are not lining up at soup kitchens and wondering if they’ll be able to feed their families, and even in the cheapest of MAGA double-wides or barndominiums, they have big-screen TVs and smartphones and internet, and they are able to vent 24/7 on easily-accessed social media platforms.

Sure, Trump and Republican leaders may manipulate them and  try and make MAGA feel like the world is ending, but subconsciously MAGA knows they ain’t hurting for food, they can still fill up their dually, they have a 24/7 stream of Fox News or other right-wing propaganda filling their homes (and keeping them tied to their TVs or phones or computers). They can go on the internet and have their say and feel like they are being heard when the likes and clicks start rolling in.

A typical German in the 1920s-30s didn’t have that luxury - if they wanted to be heard, they had to be in the streets and mixing it up in riots or marches or demonstrations, and many had literally nothing to lose in terms of housing, jobs, etc, unlike MAGA.  Many spent hours of each day just trying to keep a little food in their stomach.  Meanwhile, MAGA texts each other about meeting up at the Golden Corral to stuff their faces with more food in an hour or two than many 1920s Germans got in a few days, and talk about how horrible the economy is, all the while checking Facebook on their iPhones to grumble about the gays or Mexicans or whatever.

TLDR: 1930s Germans had nothing to lose and everything to gain if they rioted in the streets and the world had literally been against them. MAGA is fat, lazy, and extremely complacent, and  those who wouldn’t riot in January of 2021 when Trump was still in the White House and was begging them to start shit won’t now, especially with the convictions.  It’s too easy to bitch on social media and get the dopamine hit,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1