Jen Psaki is Good at this Job

Woland

Like Blair Erskine or Sarah Cooper, Chelsea Pope has a 'bit.' Hers is Jen Psaki; back story--Psaki has been promoting a version of casual(?) Friday in the briefing room of a sorts and on Thursday she mentioned snacks for the pool reporters. On Friday, she provided home baked chocolate chip cookies which her MIL had made.

The past couple years have been a windfall for funny, smart, and attractive ladies. It's a good time to be a guy.

Guest Lobo

As men, we've always been fortunate to be on this planet with women.  But yes, I really hope the younger men of today understand how lucky they are.  Smart, empowered, confident women who are funny as hell with interesting hobbies and stories, who all traded sweatpants in for yoga pants.  You bastards don't know how lucky you are.  I thank God I met my wife when I did.  

I look around and the women like those I described are all over Austin.  I was at a small never-Trumper GOP deal the other night and there was a half dozen right-leaning women there.  All of them were wildly successful, empowered, pithy, well-versed, well-traveled, take no shit off anybody, beautiful, and fun as hell to drink with and make off-color remarks about politics.  

And then I look at the gals on Team Trump around Texas.  Being ugly on the inside has a way of reaching out from inside your gut and tattoo'ing itself all across'd your face. 

Edited by Lobo

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

As men, we've always been fortunate to be on this planet with women.  But yes, I really hope the younger men of today understand how lucky they are.  Smart, empowered, confident women who are funny as hell with interesting hobbies and stories.

Amen.

• Like 1

That's because you all are secure in yourselves and who you are. Humans of all types and genders can be smart and they can be kind, but where it goes astray is when humans don't appreciate what others bring to a round table when given a place at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That's because you all are secure in yourselves and who you are. Humans of all types and genders can be smart and they can be kind, but where it goes astray is when humans don't appreciate what others bring to a round table when given a place at it.

Except the goddamn Dutch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

As men, we've always been fortunate to be on this planet with women.  But yes, I really hope the younger men of today understand how lucky they are.  Smart, empowered, confident women who are funny as hell with interesting hobbies and stories, who all traded sweatpants in for yoga pants.  You bastards don't know how lucky you are.  I thank God I met my wife when I did.  

I thank God I met your wife when I did as well.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

As a venerated Speech-Pathologist, she was glad to help you out with your jaw issues from all your years in "the service."  Catching these issues early on...is critical.

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

zip it, woman. 

• Haha 1

Okay, I looked up Rogin, and he seems to be a reputable person.

When I saw the criticism of WHO, I assumed it was a GOP/Trumpist as they tried desperately to blame shift when the pandemic blew up. Then we pulled out by executive order.

What is the basis of Rogin's criticism of the WHO? That's an unprejudiced question.

As far as the US doing its own origin search, sure, why not? Perhaps we can re-fund the scientists that we de-funded who were already on the spot.

He seems a little hysterical about "hope is not a strategy." Why is he hyperventilating over that phrase?

Sounds like Psaki is mistaken about the report. OMG!

There may be issues here, but is seems like small potatoes. I won't use the Trump press secretaries as a standard as they are tragically non-existent, but these stories aren't really doing much damage to the credibility of the current administration.

Edited by RomaVicta

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There may be issues here, but is seems like small potatoes. I won't use the Trump press secretaries as a standard as they are tragically non-existent, but these stories aren't really doing much damage to the credibility of the current administration.

They're trying reallllly fucking hard, and this is the best they can get. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

When I saw the criticism of WHO, I assumed it was a GOP/Trumpist as they tried desperately to blame shift when the pandemic blew up. Then we pulled out by executive order.

What is the basis of Rogin's criticism of the WHO? That's an unprejudiced question.

As far as the US doing its own origin search, sure, why not? Perhaps we can re-fund the scientists that we de-funded who were already on the spot.

He seems a little hysterical about "hope is not a strategy." Why is he hyperventilating over that phrase?

I don't think mistaken is quite the right word w/respect to Psaki and the intel. I saw this, and it was a sidestep. However, her tenure at the State Dept is overlooked (maybe because she's a she?). Congress (bipartisan members) has been talking about an independent investigation, but because this is politicized, it is causing a lot of problems diplomatically.

Psaki knows this, but she cannot step all over agency toes nor can she or should she misrepresent the WH from the press room dais. You cannot just waltz into Wuhan. So, they are doing some back channel stuff through WHO. But WHO is a hot mess right now. But there are other ways. Another unspoken reason the President just met with South Korean President but will likely remain private.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Whoopsy dias/dais.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Except the Norwegians.

39 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Rogin is reputable enough, he's of a neo-consertive bent and had a book released in March (might have been talked about in the COVID thread?) but, that is his area of interest so it makes sense that's he all over that.

And he's not wrong in a sense. Our foreign policy with China is a concern. The Trump appointed ambassador (Branstad, former Iowa governor), stepped down late last year in September to help Trump with his campaign so since then, the Charge d'Affaires, Robert Forden, has been in the position. Tbh, Forden has more experience than Branstad anyway so perhaps things can move along a bit.

However, the GQP is desperate for something, anything to distract from WH domestic successes stateside and the January 6th events, so I expect this to get a lot of noise on that front. Someone might want to point out that this is a delicate dance because war with China is not an option, and attempting to bully China is not going to lead to great results either. I equate it to the person in the car behind you honking their horn because you haven't turned left yet in a busy intersection. They are impatient and want you to go. But they are taking zero risk and do not pay for the ticket nor your insurance if you judge that risk incorrectly and get into an accident.

Does the US need to discover the origins? Yes. Do they need to act independently? That is still being determined.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who is she?

Jean-Pierre is the deputy press sec. Likely a front runner to take over for Psaki when she steps down 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jean-Pierre is the deputy press sec. Likely a front runner to take over for Psaki when she steps down 

Agree; she earned that spot; a little trivia: she also body blocked someone rushing the stage at a Harris event in 2019 during the presidential race.

Lmao at musky pelt. JFC. Lulz.

Well, given relations with China right now, I'm not sure it is wise to demand an investigation except through international channels, i.e. the WHO.  And, it's not like we can launch an effective origin investigation unilaterally.

Also, there might be some strategery involved in that China has attempted and partially succeeded in "infiltrating" the UN, and UN orgs such as WHO in the face of US abdication.

If China stonewalls the WHO, or manipulates the investigation, that may or will reveal China's disingenuous motives regarding international diplomacy.

• 4 weeks later...

Such a totally captivating woman. Depth of intelligence, wit, deft speech, and, yes, beauty. 

And totally likable as far as I can tell about a public figure. I'll miss having her on the national stage. Glad to know she's out there. Maybe Joe can find another way to use her formidable talents.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You go around Canada tho

Yeah, a friend of mine took an Alaskan cruise for his honeymoon and they departed from Seattle. That’s also where the cruise line returned them after the ship got stuck on the rocks off the Alaskan coast. They’re still together but I used to joke that their marriage was on the rocks right from the start. 

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Won't matter until Canada opens back up, tho...

I think the Jones Act (which prohibits foreign carriers from traveling directly from one US Port to another) was temporarily waived by the recent action.

I know a maritime lawyer:

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...