Mentally unstable radical Republican? Oh you mean Marjorie!

Pancho

As a progressive I guess I was just shocked to know the lengths they would go to and how there is no bottom to their enmity. I do believe that a great many mainstream Dems who still have faith in the Mantra of Incrementalism would be shocked to learn that is is a long con par supreme. There is no Big Rock Candy Mountain at the end of this rainbow; just endless hogs slopping at endless troughs, while the Schumers and Bidens of the world assure as that one day there will be some Grand Reacharound the Aisle and bipartisan support for things the GOP is sworn and committed and ever willing to fight to the death over. 
In other words, I believe centrist Dems and progressive Dems share the same views on the same issues; it's a matter of exposing the rotten core of the party to their eyes, exposing them to how they've been brainwashed into thinking their ideas and dreams are "off the table" or "unrealistic." As of now, both parties actively conspire to inertia, and it's taking us nowhere, very fast. 

You sound like the flip side of QAnon.

BlueAnon?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

You sound like the flip side of QAnon.

BlueAnon?

Yeah. I am a conspiracy theorist. The GOP literally storms the Capitol and the first thing out of Biden's mouth is bullshit about how American needs "a strong and principled Republican party."

Do you think Nick Saban wants a strong and principled Auburn, or do you think he wants to win? 

Same same. 

Yeah. I am a conspiracy theorist. The GOP literally storms the Capitol and the first thing out of Biden's mouth is bullshit about how American needs "a strong and principled Republican party."
Do you think Nick Saban wants a strong and principled Auburn, or do you think he wants to win? 
Same same. 

GREAT analogy. And yes, Nick needs a good Auburn. Know why? That’s what tests his team, helps show if they have any weaknesses, and gets them better prepared to play in ANOTHER goddamned title game.

No matter which “side” you’re talking about, we need a sane opposition to put their ideas to the test, to point out weaknesses, etc. I do this professionally, all the time. I come up with an idea or an argument, and then I tell a colleague “red team me.” I then see the weaknesses of my position. I may even need to materially change my argument and strategy. But I do...BEFORE I end up In a courtroom making a fool of myself.

We see the problem writ large in states that have been ruled by one party for too long. Stupid ideas, no moderating influence, no check on shitty reasoning. Texas’s 30 years of one party GOP rule are a shining example. Or see OK, or GA - look through the Jewish space lasers.

I’m relatively moderate. But I have been brought around on many left of center ideas....because they are good ideas, supported by evidence. Win in the marketplace of ideas, that’s how we get good ones.

But it’s a real problem when one participant opts out of the idea game, and instead decides to just sling feces and lies, and serve only the end of power. It messes up the entire fucking system.
  • Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GREAT analogy. And yes, Nick needs a good Auburn. Know why? That’s what tests his team, helps show if they have any weaknesses, and gets them better prepared to play in ANOTHER goddamned title game.

No matter which “side” you’re talking about, we need a sane opposition to put their ideas to the test, to point out weaknesses, etc. I do this professionally, all the time. I come up with an idea or an argument, and then I tell a colleague “red team me.” I then see the weaknesses of my position. I may even need to materially change my argument and strategy. But I do...BEFORE I end up In a courtroom making a fool of myself.

We see the problem writ large in states that have been ruled by one party for too long. Stupid ideas, no moderating influence, no check on shitty reasoning. Texas’s 30 years of one party GOP rule are a shining example. Or see OK, or GA - look through the Jewish space lasers.

I’m relatively moderate. But I have been brought around on many left of center ideas....because they are good ideas, supported by evidence. Win in the marketplace of ideas, that’s how we get good ones.

But it’s a real problem when one participant opts out of the idea game, and instead decides to just sling feces and lies, and serve only the end of power. It messes up the entire fucking system.

The flaw in my analogy is that one side in this argument is rotten to the core, cheats for decades on end to win and has had leadership that conspired to overthrow the US gov't and the other is Auburn. Or is that backwards.

In a democracy you don't need stick in the mud anti-democratic parties instilling fear and hate in order to maintain a status quo that benefits mainly billionaires. The "strong and principled" ship has sailed. 

Biden needs to put his foot on the head of this GOP and laugh as it drowns, not long for some Mitch-led rebuild. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The flaw in my analogy is that one side in this argument is rotten to the core, cheats for decades on end to win and has had leadership that conspired to overthrow the US gov't and the other is Auburn. Or is that backwards.
In a democracy you don't need stick in the mud anti-democratic parties instilling fear and hate in order to maintain a status quo that benefits mainly billionaires. The "strong and principled" ship has sailed. 
Biden needs to put his foot on the head of this GOP and laugh as it drowns, not long for some Mitch-led rebuild. 

Joe’s point is that we are a two party system. Not a one party system. That means we need another party....we don’t have one now. We have one political party and one domestic terrorist movement. That’s bad. Assuming the replacement should be some sane version of an old center-right party is understandable.

Call it the GOP, call it the whigs, call it the We Like Steak party - don’t make a shit. We need another party.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Joe’s point is that we are a two party system. Not a one party system. That means we need another party....we don’t have one now. We have one political party and one domestic terrorist movement. That’s bad. Assuming the replacement should be some sane version of an old center-right party is understandable.

Call it the GOP, call it the whigs, call it the We Like Steak party - don’t make a shit. We need another party.

Destroy this GOP and the Dems would split into a centrist faction (moderate Dems and non-insane ex Repubs) and a left wing. And there would be a rump Trump bunch. It would be more like Europe with a true left, a centrist, and a racist nationalist party.

What we have now is a Get Nothing Done Party alienating all but a sliver in the middle, and like my man Yeats said, the center cannot hold, falcon can't hear the falconer, blood-dimm'd tide, rough beasts slouching toward Bethlehem, etc etc. 

22 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

If the West Palm beach Democrats had not fucked up a simple fucking ballot design, you would not have had 8 Bush years.

Or Ralph Nader did not siphon votes in 2000.

See how that works?

The Nader voters in 2000 are like the libertarians I know/hung out with - I think that many of the Nader voters would not have shown up to vote if Nader wasn't on the ballot.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd argue that we need more then two parties, more then 3 even.  I think having 4 or more would help bring us in line with Europe and the rest of the develop world and help keep our parties honest and seeking to actually serve their constituents if they want to maintain power.  Only two or three parties and they don't need to do right by their constituents in order to maintain power, just appeal to emotional elements of their voting bases.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NorthTexasCougar said:

I'd argue that we need more then two parties, more then 3 even.  I think having 4 or more would help bring us in line with Europe and the rest of the develop world and help keep our parties honest and seeking to actually serve their constituents if they want to maintain power.  Only two or three parties and they don't need to do right by their constituents in order to maintain power, just appeal to emotional elements of their voting bases.  

Oh, I'd love a multiparty parliamentary system.  For example, if I was in the UK, I'd be most in line with the Liberal Democrats (they don't stand for what an American might think that label stands for).

It's never going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasCougar said:

Another reason why we need to abolish the electoral college and go to a simple national popular vote. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is up to 8 pages since Wednesday.

The thread on our President is up to 9  pages since January 1.

Media whoredom is more attractive than governance.  

Boring governance is boring...and good.  Batshit insanity needs to be called out a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Another reason why we need to abolish the electoral collage and go to a simple national popular vote. 

Abolish the EC

National popular vote for POTUS

Abolish FPTP voting for Congress and institute nationwide RCV for House and Senate

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Co-sign these, plus prohibit partisan redistricting. 

It will never happen, but an undergrad engineering or comp sci team could figure out the algorithm for how to divvy up each state with proportionally correct, geographically simple districts.  I mean, it's trivial.

Good luck with that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It will never happen, but an undergrad engineering or comp sci team could figure out the algorithm for how to divvy up each state with proportionally correct, geographically simple districts.  I mean, it's trivial.

Good luck with that. 

It probably already exists.  The GOP refuses to do it, so the Democrats need to continue to respond in kind.  Sure, we hate it, but the high road is just ceding it to the GOP to fuck the maps where they can.

If the GOP gets total control of the maps in Texas, Florida, NC, Democrats should respond in kind in New York, Illinois and California and wipe Republicans off the face of their maps.  Proper fuckery could cut the GOP delegation from 7 to 3 if they really wanted to in NY.  In Illinois, they could cut it from 5 to 0 if they REALLY wanted to (Illinois districts do not have to be contiguous).  California could go from 11 to just 3-4 if they really tried. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

It probably already exists.  The GOP refuses to do it, so the Democrats need to continue to respond in kind.  Sure, we hate it, but the high road is just ceding it to the GOP to fuck the maps where they can.

If the GOP gets total control of the maps in Texas, Florida, NC, Democrats should respond in kind in New York, Illinois and California and wipe Republicans off the face of their maps.  Proper fuckery could cut the GOP delegation from 7 to 3 if they really wanted to in NY.  In Illinois, they could cut it from 5 to 0 if they REALLY wanted to (Illinois districts do not have to be contiguous).  California could go from 11 to just 3-4 if they really tried. 

Correct.  Mutually assured destruction is a thing.  Use it.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Correct.  Mutually assured destruction is a thing.  Use it.

Agreed.

"Oh you think you're going to net yourself a dozen new seats?  Think again."  You could easily kill 12-15 GOP seats in Maryland, IL, NY, NM, NV and Oregon and have the "independent" commission in California (which is full of Democrats) destroy the GOP delegation.  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Pennsylvania maps? VETO. VETO. VETO. VETO. Force the Courts to draw fair maps.  North Carolina?  Sue and let the Dem majority state Supreme Court kill the maps until its fair. 

what is a "Hate America Flag"?  Serious question.  

Holy shit, does she think that the embassy custom of also flying the flag of the nation in which the American Embassy is located is a "Hate America Flag"?  Honest inquiry.  Oh my god, she saw some photos and doesn't understand how embassies position their flags.  Wow.  Another proud moment for the Trump movement. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Her followers literally removed American flags and replaced them with Trump flags in the Capitol.

On this point -- as well as every other fucking point -- she can get utterly fucked.   What an evil psychopathic sliver of asscrust she is.

"A sliver of asscrust"  should be the next Surly motto. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

It’s about BLM. Wanking motion.

by cosponsoring Rep. Jeff Duncan’s Old Glory Only Act (H.R. 85), which would ensure that only the American flag flies over U.S. embassies.

Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene issued the following statement:

“During my campaign for Congress, I promised that I would always put America First. That means that only the Stars and Stripes should fly over our embassies in foreign countries. President Biden's State Department has already raised a flag over our embassies that doesn't represent the vast majority of Americans.

In the past, rogue members of the State Department flew the flag of the radical Marxist group, Black Lives Matter. The domestic terrorists represented by that flag have burned down our cities with the mission of defunding our police. We should NOT be flying a flag of a group who wants to erase our history and bring mass destruction to our country through Communism.

The federal government should only be flying the flag that represents ALL people, the American flag. We need to bring back pride in our country and raise the Star Spangled Banner proudly. Old Glory represents our great American military and their sacrifices to ensure our freedom. This isn’t a political issue. This is about Patriotism, and we need more of it."

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, staboner said:

bad reaction from AOC IMO no matter how right she can be. they want childish twitter arguments. can't let them have it. it isn't about our people but theirs. and this exchange emboldens them yet again. but whatever. i feel like a fucking PTO volunteer trying to rationalize with a shitheel parent at parent teacher conference day. lawd save me jesus

1*uh-iaRyF-dH5JPgP8m4CeQ.jpeg

Yeah, I kind of enjoy her dunks. But don't get in the mud and wrestle with a pig.  You'll both get dirty and the pig will like it.

Dems should reserve their pig mud wrestling for more substantive things.

5 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

President Biden's State Department has already raised a flag over our embassies that doesn't represent the vast majority of Americans.

In the past, rogue members of the State Department flew the flag of the radical Marxist group, Black Lives Matter.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the "rogue members" were in fact members of President Trump's State Department and not President Biden's.

That whole statement is just fucking dumb.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone educate me on if this means shit? Because unless she can be stripped of committees by a simple majority I fail to see what this will do...

I think it must mean that otherwise no reason to bring it to floor. They need 2/3 to expel from congress but I think simple majority to kick her out of the committee 

Edited by Sawbonz
Article I, section 5 of the United States Constitution provides that "Each House [of Congress] may determine the Rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a member."
  • Hook 'Em 1

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Monday blasted Georgia GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s embrace of “loony lies and conspiracy theories” as a “cancer for the Republican Party.” 

“Somebody who’s suggested that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, that horrifying school shootings were pre-staged, and that the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.’s airplane is not living in reality,” McConnell said in a statement first shared with The Hill. “This has nothing to do with the challenges facing American families or the robust debates on substance that can strengthen our party.”

McConnell didn't mention Greene by name in his three-sentence statement, but his rare, scathing remarks about a freshman GOP lawmaker from the other chamber suggests he recognizes the potential damage her violent rhetoric and bizarre conspiracy theories could inflict on congressional Republicans as they try to take back both the House and Senate in next year’s midterms.  

Greene responded on Twitter, writing that "the real cancer for the Republican Party is weak Republicans who only know how to lose gracefully." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The electoral college is a form of voter suppression. 

How dare you! Don’t you know if we abolish it, we’d only have campaigns in 4-5 states?! Versus with it, where we only have campaigns in....4-5 states. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1