Mentally unstable radical Republican? Oh you mean Marjorie!

Pancho

It’s amazing how quickly this change happened in terms of being out as this type of politician in the Republican party. Just a couple of years ago, the party sent Steve King packing.

They let King hang around for years - like a sheep at an Aggie party. They used him until they had to leave because the motel figured out what was happening. If he hadn’t bleated some particularly racist shit he’d still be there.
  • Haha 3

I respect Ayn Rand’s atheism and her assault on the “mystics.” There’s no more bullshit in her fictional novels than there is in the Bible.

It’s weird because, while her personal philosophy isn’t exactly grounded in reality, the incompetent governments she describes in her novels much more closely resemble our modern Republican governments than they do the Democratic ones. Rush Limbaugh much more closely resembled the propagandist Ellsworth Toohey than anyone on the American left ever did. And John Galt never once stated that he owed anything to the shareholders. (In American capitalism today, Galt wouldn’t be the one getting rich from his creative genius, the guy that secures the money from the financiers would be making a lot more off of his work.)

They’re fictional novels. Her non-fiction works are garbage and you shouldn’t waste your time on them. But Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged are entertaining reads. Again, they’re fiction. They don’t exactly represent the real world. But they’re not without their charms and there are lessons to be learned when taken in context. (The same is true with The Lord of the Rings or The Foundation or many other works of fiction.)

Sometimes I wonder how much her biggest critics and biggest fans have actually read her works. Too much love or too much hate from anyone makes me suspect that maybe they’ve only been a casual reader at best. I do think that a good comedic novel could be written about how things in Atlantis might play out in the real world but I’ve never taken the time to tackle that project. But there’s something about the potential competition between the two best and most ideologically pure ditch diggers that I think could be pretty funny.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I respect Ayn Rand’s atheism and her assault on the “mystics.” There’s no more bullshit in her fictional novels than there is in the Bible.

It’s weird because, while her personal philosophy isn’t exactly grounded in reality, the incompetent governments she describes in her novels much more closely resemble our modern Republican governments than they do the Democratic ones. Rush Limbaugh much more closely resembled the propagandist Ellsworth Toohey than anyone on the American left ever did. And John Galt never once stated that he owed anything to the shareholders. (In American capitalism today, Galt wouldn’t be the one getting rich from his creative genius, the guy that secures the money from the financiers would be making a lot more off of his work.)

They’re fictional novels. Her non-fiction works are garbage and you shouldn’t waste your time on them. But Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged are entertaining reads. Again, they’re fiction. They don’t exactly represent the real world. But they’re not without their charms and there are lessons to be learned when taken in context. (The same is true with The Lord of the Rings or The Foundation or many other works of fiction.)

Sometimes I wonder how much her biggest critics and biggest fans have actually read her works. Too much love or too much hate from anyone makes me suspect that maybe they’ve only been a casual reader at best. I do think that a good comedic novel could be written about how things in Atlantis might play out in the real world but I’ve never taken the time to tackle that project. But there’s something about the potential competition between the two best and most ideologically pure ditch diggers that I think could be pretty funny.

This is my take as well. For some reason my mom, who is probably the least political person I know, liked her fiction novels so I picked them up and read them as well. I knew nothing of her politics when I did. They are at least entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sometimes I wonder how much her biggest critics and biggest fans have actually read her works. Too much love or too much hate from anyone makes me suspect that maybe they’ve only been a casual reader at best.

I have worked and volunteered in libraries and schools and school libraries over the years, and your first sentence has a ring of truth from my personal observations. The most vehement outcries and calls for book removals came from people who had not cracked the cover of whatever the object of their outrage was.

Here is a link to the obit; I hope people don't spam the tributes because of their dislike for her. That is poor behavior. The obituary states that he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize in Economics in March of 2000. I hope a reporter looks that up. His wife's name is Delle.

https://www.ingramfuneralhome.com/obituary/580520/Robert-Bob-Taylor/

Wow, okay. I am stumped here. So, the Nobel Committee states that it doesn't reveal the names of nominees until 50 years out so their database doesn't have anything listed in the archive. Which makes sense. But then, I dig around a little and there is a Robert William Taylor, also known as 'Bob' Taylor. He is a computer scientist that died in 2017 in California and was a big deal in the field and with internet development (also a UT connection). Several tech mags wrote op-eds stating that he should be nominated (this was prior to his death) for a Nobel due to his contributions, which I won't go into.

In MTG's father's obit, there is this:

Bob continued his study on this discovered science, and developed a computer program in financial forecasting that later led to him being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in Economics in March of 2000.

Bob then wrote and published his second book called Paradigm, which was a fictional thriller, with his scientific forecasting invention woven in the story.

Bob proved that you don't have to graduate from college to achieve the American Dream. It was actually through tenacity and a hard work ethic that led him to be a successful business owner in the construction industry, a published author, and an inventor with high honors.

I suppose that could be true as well, but seems sketch as my kiddos say. The nominations have to come from a certain subset, and the most likely one for a person such as the Georgia Taylor would be through a university, but still... I have doubts.

Oh and should you care to partake, his book is selling for about $4.00 used on ebay.

While she may be feeling the pain of a loss, she really shouldn't tweet through that, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, BrickHorn said:

And MTG has a point about our legal system. US law must respect our political traditions, in which the hundred men meet each fortnight to discuss pressing political matters, then take their unresolved petitions twice annually to the shire-reeves, who in turn have audience with the king. And of course, we should respect such fundamentally American traditions as hereditary honors and titles bestowed upon nobility and the landed gentry, as well serfs’ duties to spend their entire lives tilling the land on which they were born. Oh and everyone has to pay the bishop.

’Murica! Fuck yeah.

My people were jigging on various heaths and communicating directly with oak and yew trees when the Anglo Saxon bastards invaded, stamping out the druids, ransacking our stelae, enslaving our children and raping our women, thereby bastardizing our pure Celtic blood and culture.

A return to Anglo Saxon architecture would be a half-measure. To truly vibe with our ultimate European ancestors, MTG needs to get us back to stelae, mounds, raths (hill forts), and I will grudgingly accept that barbarous innovation -- the round tower, a decadent innovation brought in by too close a contact with the uncivilized hordes from the accursed Continent.  

It is also high time we resurrect the sheela na gig, so long as we can prevent such potent symbols of the power of That Which is Undefeated from being harnessed by feminists and other strands of the Antifa uprising.

220px-SheelaWiki.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My people were jigging on various heaths and communicating directly with oak and yew trees when the Anglo Saxon bastards invaded, stamping out the druids, ransacking our stelae, enslaving our children and raping our women, thereby bastardizing our pure Celtic blood and culture.

A return to Anglo Saxon architecture would be a half-measure. To truly vibe with our ultimate European ancestors, MTG needs to get us back to stelae, mounds, raths (hill forts), and I will grudgingly accept that barbarous innovation -- the round tower, a decadent innovation brought in by too close a contact with the uncivilized hordes from the accursed Continent.  

It is also high time we resurrect the sheela na gig, so long as we can prevent such potent symbols of the power of That Which is Undefeated from being harnessed by feminists and other strands of the Antifa uprising.

220px-SheelaWiki.jpg

As an Alabamian I feel I am well-suited to understand and advocate the viewpoints of the Neolithic farmers of Britain, and so I say fie unto thee, sir, you and your "pure Celtic blood", which must be current Indo-European Invader slang for "Thy mother bedded a boar-hog." For ye be the same newcomers you accuse the indistinguishably vile Saxon of being, 120 generations may be a lot in Texas but it is nothing in the midsummer shadows of Stonehenge.

You sailed here? We walked here.

tldr: We'll take the Hamites and the Semites but we don't want the Japhethites.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There are far more interesting and compelling atheists than Ayn Rand. My take on her fiction is that it’s also shitty as fiction— didactic, dense, shouty, overwrought. Ayn Rand would sort of agree because in her philosophy, art is only good if it’s clearly communicating (her) philosophy. Which is why she has characters droning on with speeches for DOZENS of pages. She doesn’t have the talent to show, not tell. 

It’s funny this came up now, today I was rereading good chunk of W. Somerset Maugham’s The Moon and Sixpence today. Charles Strickland is a character much like a Randian hero— a monumental asshole to everyone around him who destroys several families, cares only about himself and what gives him purpose, is unappreciated in his time, and who creates staggering works of genius. But Maugham manages to put this down in only 213 pages in the Penguin Classic paperback, with no wasted words and no trace of a lecture from any characters, their action and (believable) dialogue tells you all you need to know. And while you get a hint of where the narrator’s sympathies are, you’re not bludgeoned over the head with it and as a reader you have to do some work on your own and grapple with complexities. Something Ayn Rand was not good at, she saw the world as a collage of 1s and 0s.

TL;DR Ayn Rand remains tedious, artless, and full of herself. 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Gotta disagree with you there. Pretty sure a giant slice of the right still think Ayn Rand is a genius and probably celebrated the part where Roark raped that woman early in on the book. And of course she came to love him. If you think about it that’s like a model for their entire behavior. 

^^^^ This.  I was in a drive-thru line at Bee Cave and 71 today and the car in front of me had a personalized Gadsen flag plate with the personalized license number "SHRUGD."   The license plate frame said "Who is John Gault?"

39 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

As an Alabamian I feel I am well-suited to understand and advocate the viewpoints of the Neolithic farmers of Britain, and so I say fie unto thee, sir, you and your "pure Celtic blood", which must be current Indo-European Invader slang for "Thy mother bedded a boar-hog." For ye be the same newcomers you accuse the indistinguishably vile Saxon of being, 120 generations may be a lot in Texas but it is nothing in the midsummer shadows of Stonehenge.

You sailed here? We walked here.

tldr: We'll take the Hamites and the Semites but we don't want the Japhethites.

Meh, the Danes brought the hair of red to the realm of Alba and my ancestors on the islands. Yer lucky them Romans built a wall to keep em out. The rest of my people descended from one of the High Kings of Ireland, the Fir Bolgs, and though the historians call it a myth, the real descendants of Dela's sons and later Brian Boru know the score. It may be legend, but it is a heady mix of hard-headed men and temptuous witchy women to which @MaybeACoordinator obliquely referred and I'm proud to carry the blood. Skara Brae is older than Stonehenge and had a working sewer system but to be honest, none of that matters. I'm keeping the history and architecture talk on the down low because when the America First caucus discovers the Library at Alexandria was created by brown people, there's a gonna be a book burning.

They really should study world history (both real and legendary) with a more open mind.

• Like 1

The Library at Alexandria was started by Greek pagans (well, Macedonian/Greeks) and just about everything in it was written in Greek.  I guess Macedonians are kind of olive, but they definitely wouldn’t be “BIPOC” in today’s America. 

The ancient world was a fascinating and diverse place, but loosely-goosey claims of ancient achievements for various modern day ethnic groups is pretty fraught. And it discredits rigorous efforts to properly start introducing traditionally less taught history and art.  We need to talk about the amazing stuff people actually DID rather than try to reassign a dubious ethnicity to ancient people who didn’t think at all about race like we do anyway. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sometimes I wonder how much her biggest critics and biggest fans have actually read her works. Too much love or too much hate from anyone makes me suspect that maybe they’ve only been a casual reader at best. 

It's like the Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings novels, or 1984, the Bible, a lot of Tom Clancy books, a lot of Hemingway novels.

Lot of people buy them, few actually read them.

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Library at Alexandria was started by Greek pagans (well, Macedonian/Greeks) and just about everything in it was written in Greek.  I guess Macedonians are kind of olive, but they definitely wouldn’t be “BIPOC” in today’s America. 

The ancient world was a fascinating and diverse place, but loosely-goosey claims of ancient achievements for various modern day ethnic groups is pretty fraught. And it discredits rigorous efforts to properly start introducing traditionally less taught history and art.  We need to talk about the amazing stuff people actually DID rather than try to reassign a dubious ethnicity to ancient people who didn’t think at all about race like we do anyway. 

That was kinda my point--they see Egypt/Africa and go "brown people" and miss the subtlety (and often the discussion surrounding historical accounts)

Just like me using old Irish myths mixed with truths and real history for my ancestry.

I agree that people have done and still do amazing things and it's even better when things previously unknown (unfortunately due to suppression or prejudice) come to light because it increases our understanding of the world and humans in its entirety.

26 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The ancient world was a fascinating and diverse place, but loosely-goosey claims of ancient achievements for various modern day ethnic groups is pretty fraught. 

And you can't do this "THE ANGLO-SAXON TRADITIONS DID ALL OF THESE AMAZING THINGS FOR US" without acknowledging all of the shitty things they also did.

Some bitch about wanting to return to "Anglo Saxon traditions" or whatever, without realizing those same traditions are a huge part of where we are currently at. It wasn't like there was some African, Asian, or South American traditions that recently replaced a bunch of our legal or political systems.

58 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Meh, the Danes brought the hair of red to the realm of Alba and my ancestors on the islands. Yer lucky them Romans built a wall to keep em out. The rest of my people descended from one of the High Kings of Ireland, the Fir Bolgs, and though the historians call it a myth, the real descendants of Dela's sons and later Brian Boru know the score. It may be legend, but it is a heady mix of hard-headed men and temptuous witchy women to which @MaybeACoordinator obliquely referred and I'm proud to carry the blood. Skara Brae is older than Stonehenge and had a working sewer system but to be honest, none of that matters. I'm keeping the history and architecture talk on the down low because when the America First caucus discovers the Library at Alexandria was created by brown people, there's a gonna be a book burning.

They really should study world history (both real and legendary) with a more open mind.

Madame Ni Whiggins, with all due respect, I also descend from redheads, and when I tried to talk Danish to my Denmark-Danish Mother-in-Law, all she did was say I sounded Norwegian.

Which I thought was very short-sighted, I mean, you've lived here since forever, lady, and nobody bothered to learn your yipper-yap until now, but looking back I think what put her off was hearing Danish with clearly pronounced consonants. We who have occasionally heard clearly-pronounced consonants cannot imagine the shock and pain a native Dane feels when encountering them.

[This entire post translated into phonetic Danish: hvordan har du uhh hugh gh rghurghu uh hurrrrrrghhhhhh.]

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Madame Ni Whiggins, with all due respect, I also descend from redheads, and when I tried to talk Danish to my Denmark-Danish Mother-in-Law, all she did was say I sounded Norwegian.

Which I thought was very short-sighted, I mean, you've lived here since forever, lady, and nobody bothered to learn your yipper-yap until now, but looking back I think what put her off was hearing Danish with clearly pronounced consonants. We who have occasionally heard clearly-pronounced consonants cannot imagine the shock and pain a native Dane feels when encountering them.

[This entire post translated into phonetic Danish: hvordan har du uhh hugh gh rghurghu uh hurrrrrrghhhhhh.]

Norwegian? Oh now that brings back memories. Freshman year, at one of those dark basement dance parties in the dorms with loud music, friends from my floor, and a nice handsome Norwegian student. Lovely accent, wavy blonde hair, and a very good dancer. Hadn't met my husband yet. It was like being in the A-Ha video. Swoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Norwegian? Oh now that brings back memories. Freshman year, at one of those dark basement dance parties in the dorms with loud music, friends from my floor, and a nice handsome Norwegian student. Lovely accent, wavy blonde hair, and a very good dancer. Hadn't met my husband yet. It was like being in the A-Ha video. Swoon.

Well, I don't do the good looks, lovely accent, dancing ability, or actually being Norwegian. I am more like a bridge troll croaking out approximations of human tongues.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol Everyone was home because there was no need to riot. This is so fucking hilarious. I mean, sad and stupid. But hilarious. 

You're not wrong; but she has a purpose--new talking point is that the 'mob' is affecting the rule of law and that the jury, etc are afraid to [unspoken] '*do the right thing' because they are afraid of the black mob, the woke mob. That (fear) narrative goes way way back in time and has led to some really nasty stuff I'm sure you're aware. But people are astonishingly ignorant of history or have deliberately denied history. So here we go...

*Irony with that phrase being used and then Lee's movie being as old as it is. Same old same old.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 - she is a psychotic POS witch.

2 - she is the voice of the id of her party.  She says all the quiet parts out loud.....and they all agree with her.

That's really all you need to know about her.

But she has clones, so understanding the best way to counteract her and them is perhaps useful. Nice to know not everyone in Milton is dense, but the citizen may be outnumbered.

See below:

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

But she has clones, so understanding the best way to counteract her and them is perhaps useful. Nice to know not everyone in Milton is dense, but the citizen may be outnumbered.

See below:

I think this is the scaried and most disturbing thing I've actually seen in awhile. This will absolutely be mimicked and replicated in smaller communities and targeted neighborhoods all over the country. 

I believe it is extremely important to not give in to fatalism, despair, and all that even while standing on the ledge. I do come here to vent about it sometimes and get morose about it, but no inaction and no hope are not how one stops fascism, totalitarianism, and all the rest of it.

I also believe this and all THIS encompasses is going to get pretty bad coming from the GOP and the cult, so having recognition of these events is important. People woke up a little when certain events occurred--Kent State, Civil Rights brutality, etc. We must not become enured to the death toll (from the pandemic and the violence) and we must recognize that the conviction of a police officer who served as executioner was a step in a better direction.

Airing their dirty laundry and fomenting opposition to it can stop it. It won't be forever, but that is no reason to give up.

They are energized and so must we be if we are to keep their idea of a nationalist white America with sham elections from becoming a reality.

• Hook 'Em 2

The Pamphleteer?  really?  That's what they went with?  Was the Leafleteer too long?  I know I used to subscribe to the one about famous Jewish sports legends.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

2022 is a comin.  We HAVE to keep the Dem turnout of the last two elections.

I believe we will.

Also trump won’t be on the ballot so low information trumpkins simply won’t vote. Just like in 2018 and the Georgia special elections. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"After I read 14 pages"

That has to be fundraising slogan for the next University of Georgia Capital Campaign. 

"THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA: PAGE 15 IS NEVER OUT OF REACH" 

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I believe it is extremely important to not give in to fatalism, despair, and all that even while standing on the ledge. I do come here to vent about it sometimes and get morose about it, but no inaction and no hope are not how one stops fascism, totalitarianism, and all the rest of it.

I also believe this and all THIS encompasses is going to get pretty bad coming from the GOP and the cult, so having recognition of these events is important. People woke up a little when certain events occurred--Kent State, Civil Rights brutality, etc. We must not become enured to the death toll (from the pandemic and the violence) and we must recognize that the conviction of a police officer who served as executioner was a step in a better direction.

Airing their dirty laundry and fomenting opposition to it can stop it. It won't be forever, but that is no reason to give up.

They are energized and so must we be if we are to keep their idea of a nationalist white America with sham elections from becoming a reality.

I'm a lot more optimistic since I don't spend as much time doomscrolling here.  Of course, the refreshing normalcy and general-purpose humanity of the Biden administration has a good bit to do with that.

I'd like to think that because I am aware of the deleterious effects of internet social media on political discourse and thought, I avoid falling prey to it, but I don't, not entirely anyway.