Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

3 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

Live Bear Found Inside Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

Posted by:  Sarahfina LoFaso  September 18, 2023

Bear in Tom Sawyer Island
Credit: D23 / National Geographic 

No, we are not talking about the Country Bear Jamboree! News broke this morning that a live bear was found in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. You can only imagine the Cast Members’ surprise with this special Guest inside the Park.

According to Mickey Views, the bear was discovered before the Park’s opening. Additionally, the bear was discovered on Tom Sawyer Island. However, the reports have yet to be confirmed by Walt Disney World; it’s thought that the bear may be in the trees or in a cave on Tom Sawyer Island. Due to the shocking events prior to Magic Kindom’s opening time of 9:00 a.m., parts of the Park remain closed.

“This discovery has prompted Disney to adjust the opening procedure for the park, opening only the right side of the Park while crews remove the furry friend and ensure the only bears in the park are the Country Bear characters in Frontierland,” Mickey Views writes.

It's a damn country bear jambaroo around here. 

this week the 'tech' division of our company is hosting a sustainability initiative and theyre doing mini presentations on how to work more 'green'.

today's suggestion: delete and reduce your emails to lower your carbon footprint.  the idea is that unnecessary emails occupy storage space on the servers which itself needs to be powered.  across multiple powerpoint slides, they are non-sarcastically showing people how to 'delete emails'.

the utter lunacy of these people to suggest such an inane and infantalizing thing.... mind you, a gigantic storage drive multipled many times for redundancy is still less 'costly' than a single incandescent lightbulb, and their audience is primarily a group of software engineers and STEM folks working on flow equations and complex physics.

some shit just boggles the mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

this week the 'tech' division of our company is hosting a sustainability initiative and theyre doing mini presentations on how to work more 'green'.

today's suggestion: delete and reduce your emails to lower your carbon footprint.  the idea is that unnecessary emails occupy storage space on the servers which itself needs to be powered.  across multiple powerpoint slides, they are non-sarcastically showing people how to 'delete emails'.

the utter lunacy of these people to suggest such an inane and infantalizing thing.... mind you, a gigantic storage drive multipled many times for redundancy is still less 'costly' than a single incandescent lightbulb, and their audience is primarily a group of software engineers and STEM folks working on flow equations and complex physics.

Did you tell them about Surly?  Emails would be the least of their problems. 

3 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Did you tell them about Surly?  Emails would be the least of their problems. 

my piece of shit 240w-consuming work laptop refuses to sleep and blasts its fan at full speed at all times.  that single computer wastes more energy than some marginal bits of data at rest on a memory chip in a storage array.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Make sure to Reply All.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Imagine you go through your whole life, well in adulthood, thinking you were born someplace normal.  From a nice family, good education, decent community, etc., etc.  You have a SS#, DL#, etc.  Just assume you were from near where you first remember being around age 4 like every other human in existence.  Then one day, you're cleaning out your deceased parents filing cabinet.  And you find your original birth certificate in a dusty folder that you have to handle delicately since it's already starting to fall apart.  There'e a marriage license, the title to the house, and your little sister's birth certificate.  You go to the back of the file, and there's your birth certificate and much to your horror and dismay---they had lied to you.  You were their biological son alright, born of healthy height and length at the exact time they said you were.  But you were born in Oklahoma.  So in a fit of confusion, you decide to embrace Oklahoma traditions and culture.  But it's too late, you can't.  Not because they deceived you and it's too late to assimilate.  It's just that you've grown up in modern civilization and even learned to read.  

a2fec8fd7bcf7e79303f4ad42d260379.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I had to google to even see what it was … and I’m still not sure?

Ice cream surrounded by a chewy rice-based substance. 

Doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't matter one bit. 

Buy some next time you're at the store. Give it a minute or two out of the freezer before you eat it for maximum texture enjoyment. 

Ice cream surrounded by a chewy rice-based substance. 
Doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't matter one bit. 
Buy some next time you're at the store. Give it a minute or two out of the freezer before you eat it for maximum texture enjoyment. 

I thought 0% chance they’d have that at my store in Florida (they put tortillas in the “ethnic food aisle”) but sure enough…

https://www.publix.com/pd/mymochi-ice-cream-strawberry/RIO-PCI-544681

I’ll give it a try!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I thought 0% chance they’d have that at my store in Florida (they put tortillas in the “ethnic food aisle”) but sure enough…

https://www.publix.com/pd/mymochi-ice-cream-strawberry/RIO-PCI-544681

I’ll give it a try!
Welcome to the party pal! I like the Green Tea. Whole foods must make theirs with Unicorn tears based on price point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, nnm said:

I grew up mostly in northern NM. I had chile with every meal. 

Both of my folks were born in the 40s and raised in the midwest (Indiana & Iowa). I spent most of my childhood in the Philippines or western Europe. My first introduction to tacos was from Taco Mayo in the OKC suburbs. But I had already been eating stuff like fried rice and lumpia from our time in the PI, so I was somewhat cultured.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 9/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, Sandman said:

I turn 50 next month but I hadn't seen or eaten a taco until I was 13 or 14 years old.

We never ate crawfish when I was growing up. Not sure why, we just never did. Ate plenty of shrimp though. I was in Austin when I went to my first crawfish boil. 

So now when everyone is going crazy over craw fish, I'm like Al Bundy

tenor.gif

On 9/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, nnm said:

We stopped getting anniversary presents for each other a long time ago. We’re fortunate enough to be in the position that if we want something, we buy it. We don’t wait for birthdays, Xmas, anniversary, etc. And neither of us needs more useless kitschy crap. 

What we do instead is for milestone anniversaries, we take a nice trip, without kids, complete with fine dining, etc. Kids are grown and married now, so the without kids part is easy.

20, it was Banff. 25, Provence-Côte d’Azur. 30, Israel. 

I'm extremely lucky in that my wife most of the typical present stuff. She doesn't care for expensive clothes. The only jewelry she wears is wedding ring and occasionally a cheap necklace she got from the kids for mothers day a few years ago. She likes brunch. As long as we go to brunch every couple of weeks she's happy.

Today is her birthday. She got a card from me. And she wants me to go pick up a couple of pizzas at a local place for dinner and watch a movie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, Armybrat said:

This is the blessing and the curse of being a wastewater operator.  The field is recession-proof because as long as people eat, they shit and will need you on the job.  But in case of a hurricane or massive killer ice storm, they don't stop eating and shitting, so you still have to be on the job, even when everyone else is bugging out or home and warm.

Anyway, thank you all for the great career.

Now my random thought: last Saturday we went to the farmer's market in Eugene, Oregon with our daughter (no pictures ever taken).  A couple of booths had Marionberry jam and jelly, so I had to get some.  When I asked if it included crack, the purveyor didn't get it and was offended.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

This is the blessing and the curse of being a wastewater operator.  The field is recession-proof because as long as people eat, they shit and will need you on the job.  But in case of a hurricane or massive killer ice storm, they don't stop eating and shitting, so you still have to be on the job, even when everyone else is bugging out or home and warm.
Anyway, thank you all for the great career.

Some of us are clearly thanked more than others.

You’re welcome.
  • Haha 1

So predictably, he's going to become an alcoholic.

I have tweezers strategically dispersed in my truck console, briefcase, suitcase, desk drawer, and dopp kit, kitchen junk drawer in case I pull out a hearing aid and the silicone ear dome remains in my ear. About once a month I have to go digging for one.
Same for me and reading glasses.

I got about 10 pair strategically placed. At least 3 pair on the truck. But I will still walk into the store without them. And struggle to see shit.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've lost a lot of reading glasses, but I've never had to use tweezers to pull a pair out of my ear.

I've known for awhile that the hearing is my right ear is markedly worse than my left ear.  And I get weekly bouts of tinnitus, almost always in my right ear.  I have to tweeze 1-2x/month a hair or two outta my left ear; usually just little dark brown/black ones---nothing serious and barely visible unless you're right up in my grill.  But my right ear, the gimpy one, I have to tweeze almost weekly and it's a rainforest.  Stubbles, curly hairs, grey hairs, white hairs, blac hairs, off the lone, on the edge of the canal, etc.  Fucking weird.  Chicks don't dig it either.  

18 minutes ago, Lurch said:

What’s this double rice bullshit

My gut doesn’t process the refrieds very well, and I have no desire to blow a big hole in the ozone layer overhead.

Brought most of the rice home for today’s dinner side anyway.

029E33B6-103D-4836-AB97-C7657096B029.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2