Internet rabbit hole. Mexico's cartel war.

crash_davis

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I saw a headline earlier this morning about Chapo's son arrested. I am assuming he was commanding via proxy his old man?

Something like that.  They were showing video clips from yesterday on the national news.  Some crazy stuff (people in commercial airplanes hunkering down due to gunfire in the area, Gunships firing tracers into city streets, gas stations on fire, etc.).

EDIT: NVM looks like someone posted clips on the prior page.

Edited by DDD Dad

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Something like that.  They were showing video clips from yesterday on the national news.  Some crazy stuff (people in commercial airplanes hunkering down due to gunfire in the area, Gunships firing tracers into city streets, gas stations on fire, etc.).

EDIT: NVM looks like someone posted clips on the prior page.

29 people dead: 10 cartel soliders; 19 LEO it looks like. 

Also learned El Chapo's son's nickname is "The Mouse". You'd think you'd get something more sinister for being the son of the OG and commanding 11 meth labs responsible for 5,000 lbs of meth a month into the US.

They’ve got Barrett’s sending .50’s at airliners.  Trying to create panic and upheaval.  Just a matter of time before they cause some deaths that truly resonate with folks on this side of the border.  The cartels may pose the largest threat to US security… people worried about Russia or China may need to refocus.   They can and will do terrifying shit and a lot of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So, the OP’s rabbit hole lead me to the ABC news link, and the quotes from someone named Ayala made me think of Kiki DeAyala. How in the everliving fuck did he get 22 sacks in a single season???

Because he was good.  

Have you ever met him?  Built like an anvil. No neck.   Face attached to his trapezius muscles.

Good guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Because he was good.  

Have you ever met him?  Built like an anvil. No neck.   Face attached to his trapezius muscles.

Good guy. 

He’s still built like that, met him a few years ago at a HOA meeting in Rockport after Harvey.  Was a really nice guy. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So, the OP’s rabbit hole lead me to the ABC news link, and the quotes from someone named Ayala made me think of Kiki DeAyala. How in the everliving fuck did he get 22 sacks in a single season???

Kiki's parents were from Cuba. In the NFL, he played linebacker. In college he played DE. He would have been very good at Edge - He isn't very tall but is pretty thick and was a very good athlete. I would guess that he ran about 6'2" 245lbs.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:04 PM, HamsterHookah said:

29 people dead: 10 cartel soliders; 19 LEO it looks like. 

Also learned El Chapo's son's nickname is "The Mouse". You'd think you'd get something more sinister for being the son of the OG and commanding 11 meth labs responsible for 5,000 lbs of meth a month into the US.

I am pretty sure it is actually meaning "the rat" not a mouse even though translation says a raton is a mouse and a rato is a rat

rats are seen as cunning and survivors and quick and shifty and able to move anywhere

31 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I am pretty sure it is actually meaning "the rat" not a mouse even though translation says a raton is a mouse and a rato is a rat

rats are seen as cunning and survivors and quick and shifty and able to move anywhere

It does mean mouse. I don’t know why they call him that but it’s definitely not rat. No criminal ever wants to be called a rat (snitch).

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It does mean mouse. I don’t know why they call him that but it’s definitely not rat. No criminal ever wants to be called a rat (snitch).

in this article they call it rat

https://insightcrime.org/news/gamechangers-2022-chapitos-hyper-capitalist-narcos/

Another target for them has been Mexico City, long spared the worst of the country's cartel excesses. In July, 14 men reported to be envoys from the Chapitos were arrested in the capital. They wore badges with a cartoon rat, long interpreted as a symbol of Ovidio Guzmán, who is known as "El Ratón."

I don't think down there a "rat" means the same thing and as stated prior by another person in this forum all these cartel nicknames are weird as fuck.....the chapo kids uncle is called "el guano" so he is bird or bat shit...

I know the vice article said "the mouse", but I think the rat badges say more it could be the rat......either way not exactly the best nickname

35 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

in this article they call it rat

https://insightcrime.org/news/gamechangers-2022-chapitos-hyper-capitalist-narcos/

Another target for them has been Mexico City, long spared the worst of the country's cartel excesses. In July, 14 men reported to be envoys from the Chapitos were arrested in the capital. They wore badges with a cartoon rat, long interpreted as a symbol of Ovidio Guzmán, who is known as "El Ratón."

I don't think down there a "rat" means the same thing and as stated prior by another person in this forum all these cartel nicknames are weird as fuck.....the chapo kids uncle is called "el guano" so he is bird or bat shit...

I know the vice article said "the mouse", but I think the rat badges say more it could be the rat......either way not exactly the best nickname

It does mean the same thing, you don’t want to be called a rat down there anymore than here. In Mexico a lot of people get nicknames for random reasons, my family from there always called me Guero for how white I looked. I guarantee he’s been called raton since he was a kid. His dad probably thought he looked like a mouse or something. Chapo was always called that because of how small he was, he didn’t get that name in the criminal world. Same for La Barbie when he was growing up. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It does mean the same thing, you don’t want to be called a rat down there anymore than here. In Mexico a lot of people get nicknames for random reasons, my family from there always called me Guero for how white I looked. I guarantee he’s been called raton since he was a kid. His dad probably thought he looked like a mouse or something. Chapo was always called that because of how small he was, he didn’t get that name in the criminal world. Same for La Barbie when he was growing up. 

placas_chapitos_ratxn_crop1657832313915.

I looked up the badges it probably is mouse

the shit these cartels will do and spend cash on is ridiculous

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

The word I always heard was soplón. Still current?

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I thought that was more for like an undercover cop or spy? But I’d also bet you’ve spent more time in Mexico than me. 

Only about a year if you string it all together. But it could mean both in different places. I was down in Colima mostly, and the same slang word might mean different things up in Texas.

They’ve got Barrett’s sending .50’s at airliners.  Trying to create panic and upheaval.  Just a matter of time before they cause some deaths that truly resonate with folks on this side of the border.  The cartels may pose the largest threat to US security… people worried about Russia or China may need to refocus.   They can and will do terrifying shit and a lot of it. 

Always bottled my mind that more people don’t see this.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Between this and Biden's visit to El Paso, it must have shifted a lot of traffic to the east. We crossed back into Texas at Laredo Saturday night/Sunday morning and from the time we got in line to the time we cleared customs it was 8.5 hours.

6.5 hours for us friday night / saturday morning. it was insane

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Always bottled my mind that more people don’t see this.

I grew up on the border and still go back a lot. People have been pearl-clutching about full scale violence & warfare spilling over here since all this really kicked off… back in 2006. You would expect US border towns to have the most violent crime in america, but it’s quite the opposite. The cartels operate here, they do crimes here, some violence does happen, but you just flat out won’t see it at the level you see over the river. It’s not their MO, they know they can’t control things here like they can there. Above all they know keeping American law enforcement heat off of them is good for business.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I grew up on the border and still go back a lot. People have been pearl-clutching about full scale violence & warfare spilling over here since all this really kicked off… back in 2006. You would expect US border towns to have the most violent crime in america, but it’s quite the opposite. The cartels operate here, they do crimes here, some violence does happen, but you just flat out won’t see it at the level you see over the river. It’s not their MO, they know they can’t control things here like they can there. Above all they know keeping American law enforcement heat off of them is good for business.

Agree with all that. Until they change their MO. The one thing we know about these guys is they expand. As the younger guys come up they will look to be ever more aggressive.

So far the hand wringing has been misplaced because as you note the violence hasn’t spilled over. Yet.

It's been supposed to spill over since the War on Drugs went full throttle in the 1980's.  40 years later, there is no en masse cartel violence in the United States border states/cities.  Every year is supposed to the year, it's the Aggie Football of politics.  My mother's family stretches from Brownsville to Rio Grande City.  They don't shop in Mexico anymore and they barely use their deadbolts at home.    

As more and more states legalize more and more drugs, the violence in Mexico will get worse.  And the violence in the United States will decline.  Our own internal drug trade does just fine visiting violence upon itself without any help from our neighbors to the South.

I'm more curious what Americans who think the U.S. border towns have been warzones all this time, believe happens to drugs once they cross our border in bulk.  The mule isn't going to continue on across our interstate highway system.  Too big a risk.  You'd be very surprised how bulk narcotics make their way to distribution hubs around the country.  Hint, it isn't the cartels.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I would say this is correct.   But if they want to have someone taken out or path cleared for their organizations, they will do it to make it look like it doesn't involve them.  Going into a McAllen neighborhood like they do in Reynosa won't fly here for obvious reasons.     The way they do it is by bribery, buying stash houses in affluent areas, and other stealth like tactics to accomplish their goals.

And really  I think the bulk of the cartel stuff on the other side of the river that makes the news is happening in Reynosa, Juarez, and Nuevo Laredo.     I feel "safe" going over to Nuevo Progresso or Las Flores as we natives still call it as I did decades ago.    Always kept my money in my front pocket then and do it now.   You don't hear much of stuff going on in Matamoros, Acuna, or Piedres Negras other than the on going immigration non sense.    The cartels are involved deeply in all of that and certainly have their base of operations in those towns, but the shooting wars are just not as apparent as in the other above noted border towns.

Interesting series on the effect legalization is having on the Cartels:
“Marijuana has long been one of the most profitable illicit crops in various parts of rural Mexico, and one of the most important revenue generators for Mexican drug trafficking organizations. It is intimately linked to the origins of these criminal groups, who became the leading suppliers of a lucrative marijuana market in the United States. The trade also became a focal point of an often-tense bilateral relationship between the United States and Mexico.

That era appears to be over. Today, most of the marijuana consumed in the United States is produced domestically, largely due to ongoing legalization and decriminalization efforts in several states. These shifts have changed the game in the international drug market, particularly in the Western Hemisphere. They struck at the core of some of the region’s most notorious organized crime groups and gouged Mexican marijuana prices. Beyond those economic issues, the changes may have permanently altered the once-symbiotic relationship between the criminal groups and their long-time social base.”

https://insightcrime.org/investigations/executive-summary-major-findings/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Interesting series on the effect legalization is having on the Cartels:
“Marijuana has long been one of the most profitable illicit crops in various parts of rural Mexico, and one of the most important revenue generators for Mexican drug trafficking organizations. It is intimately linked to the origins of these criminal groups, who became the leading suppliers of a lucrative marijuana market in the United States. The trade also became a focal point of an often-tense bilateral relationship between the United States and Mexico.

That era appears to be over. Today, most of the marijuana consumed in the United States is produced domestically, largely due to ongoing legalization and decriminalization efforts in several states. These shifts have changed the game in the international drug market, particularly in the Western Hemisphere. They struck at the core of some of the region’s most notorious organized crime groups and gouged Mexican marijuana prices. Beyond those economic issues, the changes may have permanently altered the once-symbiotic relationship between the criminal groups and their long-time social base.”

https://insightcrime.org/investigations/executive-summary-major-findings/

That's why they've moved on to other  man-made stuff and human trafficking.     

1 hour ago, El Tri said:

6.5 hours for us friday night / saturday morning. it was insane

There were more US plates than Mexican plates on the road all the way from San Luis Potosí or Matehuala to Nuevo Laredo. Probably between 30 and 40 different states represented. My inlaws crossed Sunday night and only waited 2.5 hours. I guess all the people from more distant states had already crossed. The drive down before Christmas was pretty interesting too. Everybody was loaded up with a roof rack and a hitch rack stacked high with stuff that's cheaper here, and almost every vehicle had at least one new TV strapped down in their load somewhere.

11 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

So, logically following, we should legalize fet and meth and sex work and then the cartels dry up and sell piñatas.

Why have prescriptions, then? Just legalize everything. If fentanyl is legal to sell, I see no reason for control of Tylenol 3, oxycodone, morphine, and then by extension everything else. Why would it be fine to buy morphine and heroin on the streets and not amoxicillin?