Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

This team should win at least 23 games this year, period (not even calling the NCAA seed/shot here).  No if's and's or but's... this isn't rebuilding, this is supposedly a first-talent team with a first-talent coach ready to go. 

If not, I'll burn my little Bevo basketball player statue.

Our OOC slate is at least 11 guaranteed wins, maybe 12.  Other than Gonzaga, I don't really see a loss in there even with early season "chemistry" issues.  By the time we play Stanford (14-13 last year) in Nevada, @Seton Hall (also 14-13), and Tennessee...we should be rolling as a roster.  I'm worried about that Vols team but it's not until late January, we will be the team we were meant to be at that point.  

I think we'll pick up two wins in the conference tournament.  And win 12-14 games in the Big XII.  So Imma call my shot 26/27 wins heading into the Big Dance.  

If we start saying shit this in November, it's a jinx...but for now...well before Halloween...I can throw this out there:

I'd rather this team get "most favored geographic status" as the "best" #2 seed than eek out the last #1 seed.

Because I'd rather forego the protection of seeding as a #1 and instead get Fort Worth and San Antonio for our assignments on the road to New Orleans.  

#1, even with bracket protection won't mean shit, iMHO, if we get shipped off to Buffalo and Philly to take advantage of it.  

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I have no idea where to dump this photo of former Texas coach Tom Penders and Jody Conradt. Penders has a Phil Spector thing going on.

caa4b1190ae425564a448b124d38fb03.jpg

and Plonsky is curiously missing from the photograph.  Definitely a Spector thing going on.

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wait, where's Texas Tech?!?!

I hear they have the bestest team ever with the bestest coach ever!  He was the real mastermind of their team the last 5 years.  If that idiot Beard had gotten out of his way they would have won 5 straight national titles.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Zags are #1
UCLA
KU
Villanova
Texas
Michigan
Purdue
Baylor
Dook
Kentucky
Illinois
Memphis
Oregon
Bama
Houston
Arky
tOSU
Tennessee
UNC
FSU
Maryland
Auburn
St. Bonnie
UConn
UVA

Wait, where's Texas Tech?!?!

#5? Wow. It appears Beard brought in some pipe-hitting mother fuckers!

• Haha 1

Its a whole new world, but reconciling the last time I watched the Horns play with these preseason rankings blows my mind. 

I would have advised you stop drinking and get to a hospital if you told me at the end of the ACU game that Texas was going to be a darkhorse NC contender the next year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:55 PM, C-Man said:

I have no idea where to dump this photo of former Texas coach Tom Penders and Jody Conradt. Penders has a Phil Spector thing going on.

caa4b1190ae425564a448b124d38fb03.jpg

i scanned that picture quickly from left to right and until i saw conradt i thought penders was conradt.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if he could go ahead never contact anyone in our program ever again that would be a tremendous help. 

Ehh it’s not really that big of a deal. I know it’s popular on this board to shit on Shaka for his terrible tenure, but he knew he had to leave and took another job. I have to respect that. 

Him calling Beard shows his character and no bad feelings towards UT, and I genuinely think he wants Texas to do well.

Beard and Shaka are night and day. I think that’s a phone call Beard appreciated.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Ehh it’s not really that big of a deal. I know it’s popular on this board to shit on Shaka for his terrible tenure, but he knew he had to leave and took another job. I have to respect that. 

Him calling Beard shows his character and no bad feelings towards UT, and I genuinely think he wants Texas to do well.

Beard and Shaka are night and day. I think that’s a phone call Beard appreciated.

maybe i'm too cynical to be objective, but humor me here: How long do you think that phone call lasted? Three minutes? And yet they say it made Chris Beard late to his introductory press conference. Shaka could have called Beard to say this stuff at any time, but he chose to call Beard just moments before his introductory press conference at Texas where he was replacing Shaka Smart. That's obviously not a coincidence or just happenstance, and therefore i have trouble seeing it as the nice gesture that it's being reported to be. 

What was Shaka's motivation in calling Beard moments before he officially took Shaka's job- i don't know. Did he want Beard to tell everyone at the press conference how he'd called Beard to wish him well and offer his help? Was he trying to rattle him? again, i don't know, because my brain could never work the way that Shaka Smart's brain does. Shaka's a weird fucking dude who is really into playing mind games with people. while i doubt that his dubiously timed call actually had any effect on Beard at all, the fact that he chose to make that call at that moment says that it wasn't the genuine well wishes/i'm here for you type call that it's being reported as. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

agree 100%

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, i'm sure Beard was "amazed" that Shaka had the balls to call him literally moments before his introductory press conference at Texas. that's a gesture on par with Dennis sending one glass of the house red to Frank and Charlie.

You don't understand class.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

maybe i'm too cynical to be objective, but humor me here: How long do you think that phone call lasted? Three minutes? And yet they say it made Chris Beard late to his introductory press conference. Shaka could have called Beard to say this stuff at any time, but he chose to call Beard just moments before his introductory press conference at Texas where he was replacing Shaka Smart. That's obviously not a coincidence or just happenstance, and therefore i have trouble seeing it as the nice gesture that it's being reported to be. 

What was Shaka's motivation in calling Beard moments before he officially took Shaka's job- i don't know. Did he want Beard to tell everyone at the press conference how he'd called Beard to wish him well and offer his help? Was he trying to rattle him? again, i don't know, because my brain could never work the way that Shaka Smart's brain does. Shaka's a weird fucking dude who is really into playing mind games with people. while i doubt that his dubiously timed call actually had any effect on Beard at all, the fact that he chose to make that call at that moment says that it wasn't the genuine well wishes/i'm here for you type call that it's being reported as. 

Just drop it.  You're reading far too into things.  Shaka was never an asshole at Texas.  There's no reason to think any of what you just said is correct.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Shaka was never an asshole at Texas. 

extremely incorrect, although he does a masterful job of controlling his public image. you'd be livid if you knew some of the stuff he did to some of his players here. i'm talking objectively fucked up and cynical, mean spirited things, for no reason at all. and there are several others here who know exactly what i'm talking about. ive referenced it several times before, and as always, i'd love to share, but to do so would be betraying the trust of the players involved, so i'm never going to publicly post any details. you can take my word for it or leave it, but Shaka has a side to him that most have no clue exists.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Drool 1

57 minutes ago, Blotto said:

How about we not fuck up this thread with yet another iteration of the Shaka debate. I doubt we're gonna cover any new ground.  Thankfully he's no longer our coach, bitch about him on the Shaka thread, ffs. 

what are you even whining about right now? you act like he was brought up out of nowhere. if you don't want to read the posts about him then keep scrolling.