2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

No vaginal irritation here, you must be confusing me with those crying about an extra 20 dollars for gas, how much the upkeep of their pools have gone up, or the cost of French fries for their Disney vacations in these dark, terrible, times.

We’ll don’t get mad, but I’m pretty sure this is one of the seven signs of the apocalypse -

http:// Surf-and-Turf Specials Cut From U.S. Menus in Sign of Price Pain https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-11/surf-and-turf-specials-cut-from-u-s-menus-in-sign-of-price-pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cement said:

This is a shitty political take and needs to stay the fuck out of this thread. We generally struggle with a few from *bothsides* per page, but today seems to have been particularly bad.  We’ve made it a year, how about everyone try to keep this thread from getting moved to CR because it will be beyond worthless there. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 7

9 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's a family effort to make sure our 5 month old has formula.  My wife and I, my parents, her mom, her sister...  It's an asswhipping hunting for formula.  Shit keeps me up at night sometimes.  

We ordered a can of formula from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and received a box of four of them. Somebody made an oopsies, but good to know that we have a buffer. We get Earth's Best whatever organic formula from Target (and Amazon), and haven't seen too many problems with it being out of stock.

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We ordered a can of formula from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and received a box of four of them. Somebody made an oopsies, but good to know that we have a buffer. We get Earth's Best whatever organic formula from Target (and Amazon), and haven't seen too many problems with it being out of stock.

We use Enfamil Gentlease.  It’s the 4th formula we’ve been on.   It was easy to find 4months ago but it’s next to impossible now.   Our family will all look every time one of us is at the store.   We’re lucky to get one every week, which she typically will use completely.   

Ahh, the ol’ snarky correlation vs causation crowd with clever memes. Here’s another one…

spacer.png

You’re a fool if you don’t think the fed and our centralized government doesn’t have a frickin huge role in the current inflation cycle. Tell me you don’t know monetary policy and it’s role in inflation with “clever” memes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's a family effort to make sure our 5 month old has formula.  My wife and I, my parents, her mom, her sister...  It's an asswhipping hunting for formula.  Shit keeps me up at night sometimes.  

We are going to see my parents in small town East Texas this weekend for Easter. I’m hoping I can stock up somewhere along the way from Houston cus it’s damn near impossible to find here. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, bernorange said:

Usually, velocity of money increases as inflation rises.  I'm not sure we are seeing that yet (St. Louis Fed reporting is quarterly, so we don't have up to date info on 2022 yet).

ST. Louis Fed updated their Velocity of Money charts.  Looks like Velocity is on the rise now.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why, why, why do we hafta relearn the same dumb lessons every generation.  The homo sapien is a flawed species. 

Because we are too ignorant to really look into things, and are dependent on people telling us other things that aren't really real.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We use Enfamil Gentlease.  It’s the 4th formula we’ve been on.   It was easy to find 4months ago but it’s next to impossible now.   Our family will all look every time one of us is at the store.   We’re lucky to get one every week, which she typically will use completely.   

I haven't verified, but my HEB shows it in stock.  It's even open.  If you want me to grab you some and send it to you I will.  (Serious.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Why is Abbott single-handedly causing supply chain issues at our southern entry points and causing supply scarcities? Does he hate your kids or all kids?

We’ve all seen you troll this thread without going full CR. Stick to that.

I’m guessing no one over there is discussing this stuff. Like it’s not happening. Weird. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife has very large boobs, but in proof that God has a sense of humor she has issues with them that didn't allow her to breastfeed, so we had 3 kids that all had to formula feed.   2 of them had allergies where they couldn't have normal formula and we had to have special formula for one of them.  That formula was often out, and we had to drive an hour or an hour and a half and pay something ridiculous like $75.00 for a can of formula.  We'd buy like 4 or 5 at a time for like $300.00 and that would be good for 2 weeks and then we'd have to do it again, and hope we could find someone that was selling it somewhere around town. 

It was absolutely brutal and scary.  My heart goes out to anyone dealing with these kind of shortages. There is nothing more scary than feeling like you will have a problem with feeding your kid.

Good luck.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't verified, but my HEB shows it in stock.  It's even open.  If you want me to grab you some and send it to you I will.  (Serious.)

Appreciate it.  I was able to score some this morning.  I've had better luck going around 9:00 on Tuesday/Wednesday after the overnight/morning restock.   There were only 2 on the shelf even then.  Just sucks.

But seriously, I appreciate the thought.  I only bought the 1 because I know someone else out there is in the same hunt/gather situation.  I'll get another one somewhere on Monday or Tues morning next week.  

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Appreciate it.  I was able to score some this morning.  I've had better luck going around 9:00 on Tuesday/Wednesday after the overnight/morning restock.   There were only 2 on the shelf even then.  Just sucks.

But seriously, I appreciate the thought.  I only bought the 1 because I know someone else out there is in the same hunt/gather situation.  I'll get another one somewhere on Monday or Tues morning next week.  

Can you mix in some milk or are there allergies/processing issues with that?  5 months is probably a little young for that and it probably doesn't have everything she needs- but is some whole milk better than nothing?

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My wife has very large boobs, but in proof that God has a sense of humor she has issues with them that didn't allow her to breastfeed, so we had 3 kids that all had to formula feed.   2 of them had allergies where they couldn't have normal formula and we had to have special formula for one of them.  That formula was often out, and we had to drive an hour or an hour and a half and pay something ridiculous like $75.00 for a can of formula.  We'd buy like 4 or 5 at a time for like $300.00 and that would be good for 2 weeks and then we'd have to do it again, and hope we could find someone that was selling it somewhere around town. 

It was absolutely brutal and scary.  My heart goes out to anyone dealing with these kind of shortages. There is nothing more scary than feeling like you will have a problem with feeding your kid.

Good luck.   

My wife has a history of seizures, and had one 2 days after we got our oldest out of a 1 month stay in the NICU as she was trying to breastfeed.  So we've had to go all formula on both.  Oldest had to have Similac Alimentum (one of their most expensive formulas) and the youngest also needed it for a while (until alimentum was recalled and we had to go with Nutramigen from Enfamil) and we recently switched to Gentlease about a month ago.  But going into the baby aisle and seeing about 15 total cans of formula out of 50 different varieties on the shelves is a bit harrowing.  Hate it for ever parent out there.  

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Can you mix in some milk or are there allergies/processing issues with that?  5 months is probably a little young for that and it probably doesn't have everything she needs- but is some whole milk better than nothing?

She's still too young for milk mixed in.  Like I said, we've been lucky so far that every week someone in our family was at the store at the right time to procure a can, but it definitely sits on your mind a bit.  Tried to order some on Amazon this morning and I had an estimated delivery of next THursday (we'd be out by then) but a guaranteed delivery of the week after that.  Can't wait around for that.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

She's still too young for milk mixed in.  Like I said, we've been lucky so far that every week someone in our family was at the store at the right time to procure a can, but it definitely sits on your mind a bit.  Tried to order some on Amazon this morning and I had an estimated delivery of next THursday (we'd be out by then) but a guaranteed delivery of the week after that.  Can't wait around for that.  

I get the idea of not wanting to hoard off the shelves, but can you just order a couple months supply on Amazon?  That brings back bad memories man.  Mine are now 11, 9 and 6 so that's not stuff you think of for a while and it just goes out of your mind, but you hear a story like that and it just comes back on you and it still feels a little scary just remembering. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get the idea of not wanting to hoard off the shelves, but can you just order a couple months supply on Amazon?  That brings back bad memories man.  Mine are now 11, 9 and 6 so that's not stuff you think of for a while and it just goes out of your mind, but you hear a story like that and it just comes back on you and it still feels a little scary just remembering. 

I fully plan on buying the Amazon stuff as well.  But it's been hit or miss recently.  Sometimes a month out or more on guaranteed delivery.  Not to mention that we've had to switch formula 4 times with this one already.  I'm kind of gun shy on dumping a bunch of $$ into 1 variety still.  I have hundreds of dollars of other formula that I'm slowly being able to sell off to others from doing that in the past.  The worst of both ends.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

No worries.  My son works the 5:30 AM - 11:30 AM shift, so if you ever need one squirreled away, say the word.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Ahh, the ol’ snarky correlation vs causation crowd with clever memes. Here’s another one…

spacer.png

You’re a fool if you don’t think the fed and our centralized government doesn’t have a frickin huge role in the current inflation cycle. Tell me you don’t know monetary policy and it’s role in inflation with “clever” memes.

And while the tool to fight inflation is raising rates…but apparently suppressing rates have had no role in its cause!

Bought more 2Y and 10Y rates futures today. Gonna ride this bitch to the moon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Why, why, why do we hafta relearn the same dumb lessons every generation.  The homo sapien is a flawed species. 

Because we are hairless apes and have monkey brains. Like monkeys, we want to eat and sleep as much as possible and make games of sex and fighting. The invention of the concept of “property” 5,000 years ago (150,000 years after the origin of homo sapirns) created a mechanism where humanity could advance, in that it allowed for the coordination needed to farm the Nile and Mesopotamia.