Kanye

Hank Kingsley

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Kanye is a brilliant musician the same way Shawn Bradley was a brilliant basketball player.

So, your saying that both Kanye & Shawn, don't look at the entire viewpoint in front of them...

3c84d2e6-9004-4b8e-9a6f-efc47076db4f.gif

On 5/4/2018 at 5:39 PM, EMAWesome said:

This is one thing I can't stand about liberals.  They act like all minorities are clones of each other who all think and feel the same way about every issue(incidentally, that would be the same way white liberals think those minorities should think and feel about every issue) and then they turn around and call anyone who disagrees with them close minded and racist.

"It is insulting to lump a group of people together into one group and assume they all feel the same way.  To demonstrate this point, I'm going to lump all liberals into one group and assume they all feel the same way about minorities."

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, BNB said:

You may not agree with his politics.  I love what he is saying.  He wants everyone to think for themselves and vote on what they believe in.

I wish more and more people would think for themselves these days, I would certainly agree with Kanye on that take. 

The problem with Kanye, is what he thinks is nuts. I don't think he is going to win over many people with his desire to repeal the 13th amendment. 

Kanye West’s baffling 13th Amendment Twitter outburst: Maybe not so baffling after all

Close

"Saturday Night Live" took on Brett Kavanaugh's testimony denying sexual assault allegations in the cold open of its 44th season premiere on Sept. 30. (Jenny Starrs /The Washington Post)

October 1 at 7:08 AM

Rapping aside, Kanye West did what Kanye West does best on Sunday afternoon: He thoroughly confused and outraged much of the Internet after commenting cryptically on a highly sensitive topic without explaining himself.

The matter in question this time: the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, which abolished slavery.

West was fresh off an appearance on “Saturday Night Live” — which didn’t air the Trump-praising speech that West made at the end of the show while wearing a red MAGA hat. On Sunday, he hopped on Twitter to spread his MAGA support again, posting a tweet that showed him sporting the red hat. In it, he called for the abolition of the 13th Amendment.

Needless to say, the context was confusing.

“This represents good and America becoming whole again,” he wrote. “We will no longer outsource to other countries. We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love.”

this represents good and America becoming whole again.  We will no longer outsource to other countries. We build factories here in America and create jobs.  We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love

Outrage ensued. Abolish the abolition of slavery? Huh?

West clarified: He just meant we should amend the amendment, not abolish it. “The 13th Amendment is slavery in disguise . . . meaning it never ended . . . We are the solution that heals.”

the 13th Amendment is slavery in disguise meaning it never ended We are the solution that heals

So let us ask this possibly dicey question: What, exactly, was Kanye trying to say?

There is a fair chance he was referring to what’s called the 13th Amendment’s “exception clause,” as many speculated on Twitter. It’s the part of the amendment that literally allowed slavery and involuntary servitude to continue across the country, on plantations and within the barbed-wire fences of prisons. Scholars and prisoners’ advocates argue that its impact is still felt today through prison labor.

Here’s the full wording of the amendment:

“Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction” (emphasis ours).

The amendment was the first of the three Reconstruction Amendments passed in the aftermath of the Civil War, designed to extend constitutional rights to African Americans and former slaves, including citizenship and equal protection under the law in the 14th and voting rights in the 15th. (The 14th Amendment recently celebrated its 150th anniversary, but it was muted, in part because it took more than a century of oppression of blacks before it had any serious impact, scholars say.)

The 13th Amendment was proposed in part because of well-founded fears that the Supreme Court might nullify Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation.

But the exception clause of the 13th Amendment was a “convenient sleight of hand,” said Dennis R. Childs, an associate professor at the University of California at San Diego and author of “Slaves of the State: Black Incarceration From the Chain Gang to the Penitentiary.”

Prisoners have been protesting this clause for decades. In August, prisoners in 17 states launched a three-week strike to protest being forced to work for meager wages in contemptible conditions — all of which they traced to the 13th Amendment’s exception clause.  Last year, advocates for prisoners launched a march on Washington in which they called for the “end to prison slavery.”

And perhaps most popularly, in 2016, the acclaimed Oscar-nominated documentary “13th,” directed by Ava DuVernay, traced the exception clause from the era of convict leasing after the Civil War — when prisoners were forced to work for private plantation owners — to today’s system of mass incarceration and prison labor.

“There’s a reason why this was written into law,” Childs said. “They needed to have a legal cover for [re-enslavement], and the best way to do that was to use [African Americans’] poverty, landlessness, joblessness — their collective dispossession — and the Jim Crow legal system as an excuse to re-enslave that population.”

At the time Congress debated the amendment, Sen. Charles Sumner of Massachusetts, the anti-slavery Republican, spoke out forcefully against allowing slavery to continue through the penal system, urging that the Senate Judiciary Committee revise the language to remove that part. But nobody seemed to hear him out.

As Sumner noted during floor debates in 1864, the exact language of the 13th Amendment can be traced to the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, which outlawed slavery in the Northwest Territory — except as a punishment for a crime, back when there were no prisons. But why abide by last century’s code of human indecency, Sumner wondered.

“Now, unless I err, there is an implication from those words that men may be enslaved as a punishment of crimes whereof they shall have been duly convicted,” he said. “There was a reason, I have said, for that at the time (1787), for I understand that it was the habit in certain parts of the country to convict persons or to doom them as slaves for life as a punishment for crime, and it was not proposed to prohibit this habit. But slavery in our day is something distinct, perfectly well known, requiring no words of distinction outside itself.”

“To my mind [the words in the exception clause] are entirely surplusage,” he said. “They do no good there, but they absolutely introduce a doubt.”

He proposed new language, but the Senate Judiciary Committee didn’t want it. Here’s Sumner’s proposed 13th Amendment that never was:

“All persons are equal before the law, so that no person can hold another as a slave: and the Congress shall have the power to make all laws necessary and proper to carry this declaration into effect everywhere within the United States and the jurisdiction thereof.”

[Bodies believed to be those of 95 black forced labor prisoners from Jim Crow era unearthed in Sugar Land after one man’s quest]

Sumner got his told-you-so moment in the years after the amendment’s passage, Childs said, when states started using the 13th Amendment to re-enslave people convicted of crimes for a term of years, selling them at auction to the highest bidder. Most notoriously, in the Southern states, tens of thousands of people, overwhelmingly black, were leased by the state to plantation owners, privately owned railroad yards, coal mines and road-building chain gangs and made to work under the whip from dusk till dawn — often as punishment for petty crimes such as vagrancy or theft.

“The 13th Amendment’s exception clause allowed the convict-leasing system to flourish and grow, and it became the dominant form of imprisonment throughout the south,” said Robert Perkinson, who teaches at the University of Hawaii and who has studied the convict-leasing system extensively. “Thousands lost their lives in the process, and it was hugely profitable for state governments. It was an important part of the establishment of the Jim Crow segregationist system. And it served as a blueprint for the harsh, retributionist imprisonment that became, tragically, the dominant form of American incarceration all the way into the 21st century.”

As the “13th” documentary explores, many scholars, Perkinson included, have pointed to this convict-leasing system as the birth of mass incarceration and the “prison industrial complex.” It refers to the belief that private prison companies’ bottom line and prisoners’ production of goods for private businesses, such as furniture or license plates, is a main driver of mass incarceration.

West himself railed against it in “New Slaves,” on his 2013 “Yeezus” album: “Meanwhile the DEA/teamed up with the CCA” — a private prison corporation — “They tryna lock n—-s up/They tryna make new slaves/See that’s that privately owned prisons/Get your piece today.”

But as for his latest cryptic Twitter outburst on the subject?

DuVernay, for one, said on Twitter that she would bite her tongue.

“I’m consciously choosing to tweet about plant-based burgers and not current statements about the 13th Amendment from a certain MAGA follower,” she said. “Respectfully, please don’t @ me. I can’t do nothing for him.”

DoXoSEtX0AAZsPy?format=jpg&name=medium

I’m consciously choosing to tweet about plant-based burgers and not current statements about the 13th Amendment from a certain MAGA follower. Respectfully, please don’t @ me. I can’t do nothing for him.

Kanye West just tweeted that he wants to abolish the 13th Amendment, you know, the one that ended slavery.

If this doesn't stop y'all from supporting him I don't know what will.

MJ-FExjk_bigger.jpg

This damn fool. @kanyewest, you want to abolish the 13th Amendment, the Amendment that ended slavery? Take out the provision that allows slavery if convicted of crime, sure, but abolish the 13th — that’s certainly to Make America Great Again for Trump folks. pic.twitter.com/e7qLGQcMzb

View image on Twitter

I think @kanyewest wants to abolish the part of the 13th amendment that says "except as a punishment for crime..."

but it's hard to be sure that's what he meant because he is an idiot. pic.twitter.com/1KJAXZha1e

View image on Twitter

Morning Mix newsletter

Cnn. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/entertainment/kanye-west-13th-amendment/index.html

Kanye West stirs more outrage with 13th Amendment, slavery tweets

Lisa France  byline

By Lisa Respers France, CNN

Updated 1:39 PM ET, Mon October 1, 2018

LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 17:  Kanye West onstage at adidas Creates 747 Warehouse St. - an event in basketball culture on February 17, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for adidas)

Play Video

(CNN)Another day, another Kanye West controversy.

Fresh off of stirring outrage with his "Saturday Night Live" speech about President Donald Trump after the show went off the air this weekend, the rapper took to social media to offer his thoughts about the 13th Amendment.
In a tweet which showed him appearing to be on a private plane while wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap, West wrote, "This represents good and America becoming whole again."

this represents good and America becoming whole again.  We will no longer outsource to other countries. We build factories here in America and create jobs.  We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love

"We will no longer outsource to other countries. We build factories here in America and create jobs," West tweeted. "We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love."
The 13th Amendment was ratified in 1865 and abolished slavery.
Later Ye returned to twitter with a clarification.

the 13th Amendment is slavery in disguise meaning it never ended We are the solution that heals

"The 13th Amendment is slavery in disguise," he tweeted. "Meaning it never ended. We are the solution that heals."
Naturally, Twitter exploded with many people offering the same sentiment: "What the hell are you talking about?"
yGyEQwFN_bigger.jpg

A few fellow celebs also took West to task.
"There's nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn't know history, doesn't read books, and frames their myopia as virtue," actor Chris Evans wrote while retweeting the controversial rapper. "The level of unapologetic conjecture I've encountered lately isn't just frustrating, it's retrogressive, unprecedented and absolutely terrifying."

There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented and absolutely terrifying.

"Trump becoming our president was a loss for the country but your support of him is a loss for the culture," she wrote. "I can only assume you relate to his personality on some level. Delusions of Grandeur, extreme issues of narcissism - none of which would be a talking point if we weren't speaking about the man leading our country."
"If you think it's alright to support someone who believes it's OK to grab a woman by the p**** just because he's famous-then you need an intervention as much as he does - something so many narcissists will never get because there just isn't enough help for the issue," she added.
Producer Swizz Beatz addressed West's claim of being bullied backstage at "SNL" for wearing the MAGA hat. Beatz said he and West had just talked about the rapper's political fashion statement.
The producer took the position that fans rightfully felt a certain way about West's support of Trump.
"Ain't nobody bullying you, we love you," Swizz Beatz said. "But you gotta stop that s***, that s*** ain't right."
West has insisted in the past that he is merely trying to be a champion for free thinking.
In August, West attempted to make amends for saying slavery was "a choice" earlier in the summer.
"I don't know if I properly apologized for how that slave comment made people feel," West told Chicago's WGCI-FM during an interview. "So I want to take this moment right now to say ... I'm sorry for people who felt let down by that moment."

No, just the overall people that think that Kanye wants to repeal the 13th amendment to drive black people back in chains.    He may ( I don't know him), but that seems to be the conclussion on the left.

Just now, BNB said:

No, just the overall people that think that Kanye wants to repeal the 13th amendment to drive black people back in chains.    He may ( I don't know him), but that seems to be the conclussion on the left.

that we are seriously considering ye's political views in our national discourse is alarming enough. the guy is not all there. he's looney tunes. and yet, somehow he fits perfectly in our current version of 2018 america. 

and he can't say on the one hand that slavery was a choice and on the other say that the 13th needs to be amended. he doesn't think clearly. i think he has an idea of what he's trying to say (possibly that black folks have constructed their own victimhood, a modern version of slavery, if you will; not saying i agree with it....) but he doesn't think things past the initial glimmer in his frontal lobe. he cannot explain himself clearly, he communicates in half-thoughts, and he doesn't think before he tweets or speaks. in that way, i can see why he and trump are birds of a feather.

• Like 1

I agree I no longer want to talk Kanye's politics.  This will be my last post on the subject.  I had to look up the actual wording of the 13th.  It talks about slavery and nothing else.  We no longer have slaves.  For what reasons Kanye wants it abolished.  I don't know, but I don't see any harm( edit: well we may be slaves to robots in the future, or the other way around, so never mind), although we can agree it will never happen.

I was mainly just stating that I like that he is saying to his "followers" they should be able to vote for whom ever they want.  Don't let the Republican or Democrats persuade you one way or another.  Vote on your beliefs that will make you and your community better.  I think we can all agree on that.

Article XIII (Amendment 13 - Slavery and Involuntary Servitude)

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Edited by BNB

I have a feeling Kanye has latched on to the provision of Section 1 that exempts involuntary servitude for prisoners:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

14 minutes ago, BNB said:

I think the conclusion of "the left" is that Kanye is an idiot who doesn't know what the 13th Amendment is.

53 minutes ago, BNB said:

I agree I no longer want to talk Kanye's politics.  This will be my last post on the subject.  I had to look up the actual wording of the 13th.  It talks about slavery and nothing else.  We no longer have slaves.  For what reasons Kanye wants it abolished.  I don't know, but I don't see any harm( edit: well we may be slaves to robots in the future, or the other way around, so never mind), although we can agree it will never happen.

I was mainly just stating that I like that he is saying to his "followers" they should be able to vote for whom ever they want.  Don't let the Republican or Democrats persuade you one way or another.  Vote on your beliefs that will make you and your community better.  I think we can all agree on that.

Article XIII (Amendment 13 - Slavery and Involuntary Servitude)

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Agree with Hayden.

Also agree with this post in as much as you are advocating for people to vote for whom ever they want.  A lot of people in my group of friends (aside from the knuckle draggers who pretty much just go by what their family/friends/co-workers tell them) usually don't go straight democrat or republican.  I guess you can consider me a democrat but I don't always agree with a lot of what they say.  Same with republicans, mainly because some of them are whack (dems too).  I was for Bernie all though I wasn't in complete agreement of his "the government will pay for everything" because I know it isn't and won't be a sustainable model, but in my mind he at least he was getting the ball rolling in the right direction with regards to education and healthcare costs.  Can tell you right now, if it would've been Hilary vs. Kasich, I would have voted for Kasich.  I only voted for Hilary because of the alternative.  Kanye is doing Kayne because it generates clicks and thats all he cares about.  He's a narcissist that wants the spotlight on himself especially with him supposedly dropping new music.  I've grown tired of his schtick and him personally.  As a musician, I'm a fan but as a person he's someone I wouldn't care to have a conversation with.

I agree, and I usually don't care about what "stars" think about politics.  I guess I just brought up this thread is b/c he leans right and his main message is just to get educated and vote on your own.  

• Like 1

Kanye: "Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books."

See what happens when you don't read? 

On 10/1/2018 at 3:43 PM, BNB said:

No, the conclusion is that he's a fucking moron who talks about "think for yourself" when he cannot even take step 1 on that concept. This is stupidity masquerading as deep intellectual thought, and this is the worst ever, even more so than B.O.B's crusade against the oblate spheroid Earth.

I guess I just brought up this thread is b/c he leans right and his main message is just to get educated and vote on your own.  

He leans Kanye, and his main message is to disregard facts and history and just make shit up as you go along. What he understands about the world is self-created mythology and there is no truth in it. 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

Oh and even if he did mean just the prison labor portion of the 13th, he is outside of his fucking mind if he thinks, of all people, Donald fucking Trump (or anyone from "the right") shares his views on that topic. So his defenders are screwed on this either way.

Edited by hpslugga

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, BNB said:

You may not agree with his politics.  I love what he is saying.  He wants everyone to think for themselves and vote on what they believe in.

This is what scares many - independent thought. While I have not thought much of him or his music and think he's a megalomaniac loon, I admire anyone willing to express publicly a diverse opinion and face the fascist wrath of his peers. Again, I make no value judgment on the content, but I appreciate anyone willing to not just parrot the simpleton party line on any issue or any party (group, organization, etc.) Free speech and independent thought no matter how inherently correct or incorrect terrifies many.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Bama Chick said:

Well, he’s already reproduced - and with a Kardashian no less.

So he’s already fucked up the gene pool.

More like she fucked up hers.  For all the deserved shit the Kardashian girls get, they're actually pretty intelligent and know what they're doing when it comes to business.  Kanye's a fucking idiot who happens to be great at music production and rapping.  And given his fanbase, he's pretty much destroying his future earning potential now.  Kim better hope she signed that prenup.  Otherwise, she's gonna be carrying him as excess baggage for life.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

More like she fucked up hers.  For all the deserved shit the Kardashian girls get, they're actually pretty intelligent and know what they're doing when it comes to business.  Kanye's a fucking idiot who happens to be great at music production and rapping.  And given his fanbase, he's pretty much destroying his future earning potential now.  Kim better hope she signed that prenup.  Otherwise, she's gonna be carrying him as excess baggage for life.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person either. They're made for eachother.