Movie Stars That Are Not Good Actors

sheeeit

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The mention of “Species” above made me remember  Natasha Henstridge, and how on most occasions she’s a good entry to this thread, except for when it’s 2:00 am on Cinemax and she suddenly becomes the greatest actress ever.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Has anyone mentioned Kevin Costner yet?

This is probably the best answer to this imo. Cant think of a single role that I think he’s really good in. Not saying he’s always bad but never once has he ever been anything other than Costner.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We talking Jake from Silverado or Ness from Untouchables?

I think he’s terrible in Untouchables. I watched it again last week actually 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The mention of “Species” above made me remember  Natasha Henstridge, and how on most occasions she’s a good entry to this thread, except for when it’s 2:00 am on Cinemax and she suddenly becomes the greatest actress ever.

Ghosts of Mars is fucking awesome. Every actor in it is terrible.

• Like 1

The list of worst actresses of all time starts with Melanie Griffith and Mary Steenburgen.  

Mary was great in Time After Time and on Justified. Whenever she’s on screen my wife says something like “No dick that’s been in Whoopie Goldberg’s cunt is going in my mouth!”

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Costner was excellent in No Way Out. Perfect in Bull Durham.

Fandango, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Tin Cup, JFK, and on and on...Kevin Costner doesn't belong on this list.  I mean somebody gonna fucking go really crazy and throw out Harrison Ford next?

His Massachusetts accent is really shitty in Thirteen Days but that's a minor quibble in an otherwise fine film and good role.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Anthony Mackie.

Dude is the true answer to "makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."  He's like Hollywood decided they needed a blandly handsome, inoffensive, and completely uninteresting black dude that wouldn't scare white audiences away from their silly comic movies.  He's what you'd get if you asked an AI to design a market tested actor.  He's as compelling as soggy cereal.

Of course that can be said for a lot of the "hey, these people look good in spandex costumes, you aren't watching this movie for the dialogue" actors Marvel trots out there.  Except Mackie keeps getting roles in other shit he absolutely doesn't deserve.  Evangeline Lilly sucks but she doesn't get work outside of Ant-Man shit (except for her awful role that she was also awful in with the Hobbit movies, bleh). 

I don't know that the second season of Altered Carbon was ever going to live up to the first season, but as soon as they cast Mackie as the lead they completely torpedoed that show.    

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fandango, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Tin Cup, JFK, and on and on...Kevin Costner doesn't belong on this list.  I mean somebody gonna fucking go really crazy and throw out Harrison Ford next?

His Massachusetts accent is really shitty in Thirteen Days but that's a minor quibble in an otherwise fine film and good role.  

Thought he was good in Hidden Figures and A Perfect World. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Post Dances with Wolves he’s been pretty wooden.

I love Harrison Ford, but post The Fugitive he’s phoned it in. Add him to the list.

Both guys relied on charisma and it fades with age and stardom. They are such huge stars, they have to act to act like a normal person.

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Anthony Mackie.

Dude is the true answer to "makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."  He's like Hollywood decided they needed a blandly handsome, inoffensive, and completely uninteresting black dude that wouldn't scare white audiences away from their silly comic movies.  He's what you'd get if you asked an AI to design a market tested actor.  He's as compelling as soggy cereal.

Of course that can be said for a lot of the "hey, these people look good in spandex costumes, you aren't watching this movie for the dialogue" actors Marvel trots out there.  Except Mackie keeps getting roles in other shit he absolutely doesn't deserve.  Evangeline Lilly sucks but she doesn't get work outside of Ant-Man shit (except for her awful role that she was also awful in with the Hobbit movies, bleh). 

I don't know that the second season of Altered Carbon was ever going to live up to the first season, but as soon as they cast Mackie as the lead they completely torpedoed that show.    

This entire thread is fucking terrible but this one is on point-he’s a functional background character but a nothing as a lead.  It’s hard to be outshone by charisma vaccuum Joel Kinnaman, but an under-appreciated Will Yun Lee and rockstar Renee Goldsberry really make it hard not to notice.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:30 PM, DDD Dad said:

Has anyone mentioned Kevin Costner yet?

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is probably the best answer to this imo. Cant think of a single role that I think he’s really good in. Not saying he’s always bad but never once has he ever been anything other than Costner.

I think he’s terrible in Untouchables. I watched it again last week actually 

youtube name GIF

We got ourselves a couple of dipshits here, gents

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Not a clue who Anthony Mackie is but willing to bet he's one of those...  "Yeah, that guy.  I know who he is!" if I saw him. 

His real name is Clarence

Clarence lives at home wit both parents

Clarence parents have a real good marriage...

41 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

His real name is Clarence

Clarence lives at home wit both parents

Clarence parents have a real good marriage...

He went to cranbook also.

Thats a private school if you didn’t know.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

youtube name GIF

We got ourselves a couple of dipshits here, gents

Bill Durham is one of my 5 favorite movies but he’s still just Costner. 
I actually really like Costner. He’s one of my favorite actors.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yes..... and yes!  Really like Thirteen Days, but his lack of ability to master accents (throughout his career) is apparent in this movie and others and why folks mistake his acting for shitty.  He was very good in Open Range and pretty good in The Highwaymen.  He's not DDL or anything but he's a good and charismatic actor who usually is solid to very good in most roles.  The accents thing will haunt him, much like McConaughey.

20 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I concur with Robert Redford.  He acts about as well as a fence post.

Jack Nicholson was overrated.   He said Here's Johnny.  Ok.

Bill Murray.

This opinion.... this opinion is awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:40 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We talking Jake from Silverado or Ness from Untouchables?

On 1/5/2024 at 7:43 PM, Incredulity said:

Gardner from Fandango 

On 1/5/2024 at 11:49 PM, TrashMaster G said:

On 1/6/2024 at 12:01 AM, Surly Bevo said:

IMG_0763.jpeg

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Justin Timberlake a movie star or even an actor? He seems to understand he looks like/acts like/is a little bitch so he's often cast in those roles. See Social Network & Alpha Dog. 

Thought he was good in Black Snake Moan but it’s been ages since watching it. 

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Justin Timberlake a movie star or even an actor? He seems to understand he looks like/acts like/is a little bitch so he's often cast in those roles. See Social Network & Alpha Dog. 

tumblr-mzhpvc-Xvfv1tq0jtoo1-500.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:37 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

He was also in Trouble With The Curve and outclassed by Eastwood, Adams, Goodman, and Matthew Lillard, etc. Heck even the guy that played the prima donna slugger who couldn't hit a curve ball was better.