Movie Stars That Are Not Good Actors

sheeeit

Was having this discussion with a group the other night. We were talking about truly big time, bankable actors (even some Oscar nominees/winners) that are really just not very good at acting.  Of course, acting can be quite subjective.

My contributions:

Mark Wahlberg- He is basically rangeless.  In The Fighter, it is almost comical how much better of an actor Christian Bale and Amy Adams are compared to him. Also, he received a lot of critical Acclaim for his role in The Departed.  I watched it agin recently, admittedly I was high so the good was really good and the bad was really bad, but his scenes were almost comically bad. His range is so small it is amazing he is as successful as he is.  And seems like a genuinely good guy. 

Scarlett Johansson- She is certainly a bona fide movie star and incredibly attractive.  But, like above, her range is very limited.  I do think she is getting better.   

wahlberg is a good one but this one depends a lot on the threshold for "stars."  i would submit cage, segal, sandler, stallone, and plenty of others.

the a-list actress with the least amount of range based on my observations is kristen stewart.

Tom Cruise. He's a great movie star, but not a great actor. 

He hasn't attempted a serious role since Collateral which in many ways is a an action flick. 

At least Sandler is going for it in Uncut Gems. Cruise would rather make another Mission Impossible than an indie film. 

What pisses me off about Wahlberg is that he plays a tough guy in every single movie. He hasn't played a vulnerable character since Boogie Nights. Even in The Fighter, he's not chasing any demons, but his messed up family is and he's just kind of there. I wouldn't suggest his co-star in another movie with Christian Bale or any actor of similar chops. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Was having this discussion with a group the other night. We were talking about truly big time, bankable actors (even some Oscar nominees/winners) that are really just not very good at acting.  Of course, acting can be quite subjective.

My contributions:

Mark Wahlberg- He is basically rangeless.  In The Fighter, it is almost comical how much better of an actor Christian Bale and Amy Adams are compared to him. Also, he received a lot of critical Acclaim for his role in The Departed.  I watched it agin recently, admittedly I was high so the good was really good and the bad was really bad, but his scenes were almost comically bad. His range is so small it is amazing he is as successful as he is.  And seems like a genuinely good guy. 

Scarlett Johansson- She is certainly a bona fide movie star and incredibly attractive.  But, like above, her range is very limited.  I do think she is getting better.   

Wahlberg was my first thought when I saw the thread title. But damn if I don't enjoy his movies. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

BreakableValidAiredale-size_restricted.g

Yep, he's not funny.  Doesn't have any range either.  I know he's a Longhorn, but he's not funny.  Even in best comedy films, he's stolen the humor scene maybe 2 or 3 times in each picture...at best.  Edward Norton does a funnier Owen Wilson than Owen Wilson.  

Also, does he have a fucking clause in his studio contracts that no matter the location, or the character, or the wardrobe, or the appropriateness of the gimmick that he gets to film multiple scenes with his hands inside the ends of his sleeves?  

His brother's cool though.

45 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, he's not funny.  Doesn't have any range either.  I know he's a Longhorn, but he's not funny.  Even in best comedy films, he's stolen the humor scene maybe 2 or 3 times in each picture...at best.  Edward Norton does a funnier Owen Wilson than Owen Wilson.  

Also, does he have a fucking clause in his studio contracts that no matter the location, or the character, or the wardrobe, or the appropriateness of the gimmick that he gets to film multiple scenes with his hands inside the ends of his sleeves?  

Oh really? 

How Wes Anderson Made The Royal Tenenbaums

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, he's not funny.  Doesn't have any range either.  I know he's a Longhorn, but he's not funny. 

FEE9D6DC-BE78-45E7-BAF3-4E57BE4818F6.gif.5fd7ca5978a4f27ed286a3ec59e31a36.gif

Eli Cash is hilarious. His brother is cool though and is probably a better actor. 

Edited by UncleSonny
BillfromLT beat me to it

Yes, Eli Cash was a great character because he was in like 4 scenes and was whacked out on heroin.  But for the most part, Owen Wilson is not funny.  Of course he's had funny flashes here and there in the last 25 years (bottle rocket, life aquatic, and zoolander).  

I think Redford improved. Newman ran circles around him in Butch and Sundance, but they’re on somewhat equal footing by The Sting. 

He’s charming in Sneakers, and Spy Game. You’re rooting hard for him in The Great Gatsby and The Natural.

He holds his owns against some great actors in The Last Castle. 

My only criticism of Redford is that he has starred in many chick flicks. Given his appearance this probably came with the territory, but I wish he got into directing/film making earlier in his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Keanu...always go with Keanu.

After listening to a lot of podcasts on how TV shows and films are made, I guess Keanu knows where to stand and where to look on camera. Don’t laugh. This is an important skill to get movies done on time/budget

He strikes me as old pro that shows up on set on time, and doesn’t slow anybody down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Does Miles Teller count as a movie star?

cause I have NOOOO fucking idea how this guy keeps getting high profile roles.  His range is that of a smug rock. 

he sucked in war dogs, he sucked in the divergent series, he sucked in the brand-new fantastic 4.

He wasnt absolutely horrible in Whiplash, but then again JK Simmons was so fucking good in that movie that as long as you didnt shit on him in the scene, hes gonna pull you up. 

I mean Jesus Christ, I just looked up his IMDB and hes gonna be in Top Gun 2......

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

15425253-AC6B-45B0-A134-088F269CD872.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Keanu...always go with Keanu.

Keanu has his moments.  Parenthood, My Own Private Idaho, River's Edge, The Gift, even parts of Something's Gotta Give he can give show some surprising vulnerability.  It's not shocking most of these are ensemble pieces or where he's in a supporting role.  He's sort of a character actor who was blessed with amazing looks so he's cast as the lead in huge vehicles.  I'm not going to argue he's the next coming of Olivier and I think a lot of his issues come from voice modulation, which is unbelievably important, but he has his moments.  He's also, reportedly, maybe the nicest, coolest guy in Hollywood, so as long as he has stuff like John Wick, where he doesn't have to stretch himself, I can enjoy his stuff.

Parenthood (Wiest kills it here BTW):

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7583651

maybe recently now that hes on the wagon (cause yeah he sucked as Batman),

but that dude had some serious range for quite a while.

from 92-97 he was in School Ties, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, and  Dazed and confused (I think he played the retread idiot jerk Senior very well).

plus he did got some solid reviews in Boiler Room, Reindeer Games, The Town, Hollywoodland and Argo..

• Hook 'Em 2