Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Hiring the hottest staff in the county was supposed to help recruiting but didn’t

Getting NIL passed was supposed to help recruiting but didn’t

Moving to the SEC asap was supposed to help recruiting but hasn’t yet

If we win 10 games this year with the same recruiting results then I will fully buy into the theory we are cursed. 

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Hiring the hottest staff in the county was supposed to help recruiting but didn’t

Getting NIL passed was supposed to help recruiting but didn’t

Moving to the SEC asap was supposed to help recruiting but hasn’t yet

If we win 10 games this year with the same recruiting results then I will fully buy into the theory we are cursed. 

There is no curse.  We simply are not paying recruits like other schools are in the region.  Not only are we going to have to pay them, we are going to need to pay more than the rest.  Look at what UGA did when Smart arrived and we need to replicate that shit.  It's why aggy hired the Ole Miss AD and has hired support and recruiting staff from UGA.  They seem to know what they are doing mean while our stupid fucking AD is worried about anti-trust laws with NIL.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You can talk all you want about bags and nil but at the end of the day recruiting is about relationships and this staff simply doesn't have the history with the 22 recruits like others who've been recruiting them longer than 7 months. Compound that with how fucked the last year has been with covid then you can see why some elite recruits are hesitant to buy in. Maybe that all changes during the season and we blow the doors off of everyone, maybe not maybe we're fucked.  2023 they have no excuses and if recruiting goes as poorly as its gone so far we are well and proper fucked if wholesale changes to our methods aren't done.

• Hook 'Em 2

You can talk all you want about bags and nil but at the end of the day recruiting is about relationships and this staff simply doesn't have the history with the 22 recruits like others who've been recruiting them longer than 7 months. Compound that with how fucked the last year has been with covid then you can see why some elite recruits are hesitant to buy in. Maybe that all changes during the season and we blow the doors off of everyone, maybe not maybe we're fucked.  2023 they have no excuses and if recruiting goes as poorly as its gone so far we are well and proper fucked if wholesale changes to our methods aren't done.

Yeah I’m not buying this. We’re just sucking at this recruiting thing and we need to all admit it.

2 hours ago, dilloncp98 said:

For a whole decade, we’ve been underperforming, losing to worse teams, and the 5 stars we sign don’t get drafted highly. We get so invested in these recruitments that we become blind to the fact that it’s pretty easy to recruit against us.

Fix the problems above and recruiting will sort itself out. Don’t expect a new coach bump when the last two coaches have flamed out.

A decade-plus of disappointing player development and disproportionate recruiting ranking vs. draft performance is part of the problem.

A decade of underperformance on the field with superior recruiting classes is part of the problem.

Institutional Athletic Department interference and obstruction is part of the problem.

Two shitty coaching hires in a row leaving questions about our ability to "find the right guy" is part of the problem.

Getting caught flat-footed on NIL is part of the problem.

Having a disorganized and not-particularly-dynamic support staff is part of the problem.

Not dropping bags is part of the problem.

The overall stench of rot is part of the problem.

It's not just one thing. You can't pick out one ingredient in a shit-stew and say "this is why this stew tastes bad"

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean this is straight up not true when talking about SEC schools. They have legitimately been paying players to go to school there for decades.

Jimbo Fisher isn't convincing anyone that aggy is fucking better than Texas at anything other than smelling their own farts. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We'll enter the SEC with a roster talent wise comparable to Tennessee and the Mississippi schools.  We can laugh at aggy and little Dumbo all we want, but the fact will be that they'll have a better roster whenever we do play them whenever that may be in the next few years.  Maybe it'll take losing to them for someone to wake up.  You can bet majority of the football board will be going bonkers with a loss to aggy wondering what happened and wanting to fire everybody when it all started here.

Maybe we'll beat THEM by 21 points. 

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Jesus Tom Herman was able to reel in back to back top 3 classes, pull yourselves together

That's right when Jimbo came on board and their bag network was not the same as it is now.  It also helped that Tom had been recruiting those Houston kids for a while.  His last 2 classes here were... meh.  

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Jimbo Fisher isn't convincing anyone that aggy is fucking better than Texas at anything other than smelling their own farts. 

I agree but I think Texas' issue is we're not going to convince many people in 2021 that we're better at anything either until we prove it.

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, randygilman said:

What role would you have given him at the time

We had Mehringer as WRs coach, Warehime as TEs coach, and Meekins as inside WRs coach the year he left. Finding a role for him would not have been difficult.

If anything, we should’ve let him pick which guy he wanted to replace and then fired the other two anyways. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We'll enter the SEC with a roster talent wise comparable to Tennessee and the Mississippi schools.  We can laugh at aggy and little Dumbo all we want, but the fact will be that they'll have a better roster whenever we do play them whenever that may be in the next few years.  Maybe it'll take losing to them for someone to wake up.  You can bet majority of the football board will be going bonkers with a loss to aggy wondering what happened and wanting to fire everybody when it all started here.

This.  Bama will definitely have a more talented roster.  I was banking on Texas having more talent than aggy but I just don't see that happening anymore.  

3 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

I think you might be right.  He won the MNC at FSU and he got A&M to #4 last year.  He's got a lot to sell.  Unfortunately we don't.  We must win in order for recruits to buy in and jump on board.  Saying "We're Texas" might resonate with a bunch of old alums but it fails to register with any high profile recruits. 

aggy was not #4 last year.  Fuck this we shit aggy, you got a frog in your pocket?  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

I think you might be right.  He won the MNC at FSU and he got A&M to #4 last year.  He's got a lot to sell.  Unfortunately we don't.  We must win in order for recruits to buy in and jump on board.  Saying "We're Texas" might resonate with a bunch of old alums but it fails to register with any high profile recruits. 

They were #4 in 2019 (rising Juniors and they'll lose a lot of those guys after this year. We were #3 although that class was snakebit). They were 6 (we were 8 ) in 2020 and 8 last year (UT 15). The year before Jimbo (rising Seniors), we were 3 and they were 17 in a transition class. 

All that to say recruiting hasn't been our issue.

edit: whoops I misread and thought you meant #4 in recruiting ranks. All of the above is team recruiting rankings

Edited by Tex-19

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

aggy was not #4 last year.  Fuck this we shit aggy, you got a frog in your pocket?  

What the fuck do you think Jimbo is telling these guys?  That they were actually the #5 team?

There is no reason we should be losing top talent to fucking college station.  New coaching staff full of Bama's top assistants, moving to SEC in a year, flagship school, start immediately, AUSTIN, TX...

We are losing the bidding war.  The great equalizer is cash.  We are offering cameo opportunities while our competition is dropping thousands of dollars at these kids doorsteps.

Pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

CTJ’s last words on the subject are my only hope

24AE5EF3-C8F5-4BC7-999D-CB056B7131CC.jpeg

I appreciate the faith. I wish I still had some. Harris thinks Bama is the sure thing. Anderson doesn't think Texas can close worth a fuck, apparently. I've been a little busy, but I'll check in on recruiting in a few days or something. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

What the fuck do you think Jimbo is telling these guys?  That they were actually the #5 team?

There is no reason we should be losing top talent to fucking college station.  New coaching staff full of Bama's top assistants, moving to SEC in a year, flagship school, start immediately, AUSTIN, TX...

We are losing the bidding war.  The great equalizer is cash.  We are offering cameo opportunities while our competition is dropping thousands of dollars at these kids doorsteps.

Pathetic. 

Well got dam you have it all figured out.  Texas will never get another recruit worth a shit.  We are so fucking far behind aggy.  Shit, maybe we should just burn it all down, fire everyone and and hide from big bad Jimbo Sherill.   He has plenty of aggy cash.  

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

Pathetic. 

This is a good point. Whether or not we’ve “figured out” NIL is irrelevant because recruits aren’t getting NIL money, they’re getting bags. It feel likes our staff thought NIL could replace the bag game, but that isn’t the case. It’s not like Oregon wasn’t recruiting well pre-NIL. See the Kavon Thinedauex recruitment. Mario Cristobol has been playing the bag game since he was at Bama and he brought it to Oregon. 

still, winning games and putting players in the draft could fix most of our problems. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I appreciate the faith. I wish I still had some. Harris thinks Bama is the sure thing. Anderson doesn't think Texas can close worth a fuck, apparently. I've been a little busy, but I'll check in on recruiting in a few days or something. 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And if the defense practices against a shitty offense, how good is the defense really?  Usually, if you have a good run offense, you should have a decent to good run defense since you face it everyday.  There's not a lot of really good qbs in the SEC so it'll be interesting to see how they do against better qbs.  Mond didn't strike fear in anybody and King may play lights out, but I doubt he does in a ball control, clock killing offense. And I certainly don't think they positionally will be faster.  If they win, it's going to be close.  

tenor.gif

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Sark better win big in year 1 ad put some players in the league or we'll be with a new head coach in 3 years.

We better lay waste to TCU and hopefully, OU and Iowa State.  But for sure TCU better be a smattering of dust and fat particles.  I want their program to know that not only did Texas lay waste to their program on leaving, but they shat on TCU on the way out.  

• Hook 'Em 3

What's kind of amazing about A&M's recruiting success is that a lot of their position coaches have garbage resumes. DB coach has only had one 7th round pick in his career. LB coach has only been a position like 3 years in total. Elko is a good coach but hasn't ever put much in the NFL. Craig is a pure bagman. If kids took the time to see which individuals actually develop players, our staff would be crushing it. But instead it's all Jimbo even though he doesn't touch the defense

PS - all DB recruits should be shown this: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/30/17799548/jalen-ramsey-jimbo-fisher-quote-not-missing-out-interview

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Well got dam you have it all figured out.  Texas will never get another recruit worth a shit.  We are so fucking far behind aggy.  Shit, maybe we should just burn it all down, fire everyone and and hide from big bad Jimbo Sherill.   He has plenty of aggy cash.  

The only way you fix a problem is by first admitting there is a problem.  I don't want to be the Michigan of the South. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting