Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

What happens if he decommits? is Knight gonna call him up and ask for his BTC back or is that just the cost of doing buisness? 

I think the funny part of this kind of shit is that Texas folks, this board included, don't really know how a lot of it works besides the "here's the money", and even that varies and gets murky. This would include the guys covering it for UT.

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

Give him a briefcase full of IOUs and we should be able to flip him

image.gif.d8d136c632ab979f6834700794860ab9.gif

Man. Lauren Holly. She was so hot at that point in time. Jim Carrey dated her for a good long while. That fucker scored way above his level so many different times. Chicks can dig many things, I guess. The long ball. Private Jets. Handsome fellas. Wicked humor has always seemed like the weirdest aphrodisiac for them, but, hey, good for ol'Jim.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry has been to Atascocita like 10 times in the last 8 months and texts with the dude's family on the reg. Your "1.)" is a classic case of stumbling into a correct outcome without having a fucking clue of how you got there and then calling yourself a genius.

Oregon gave the guy a thumb drive loaded with bitcoin, you fucking imbecile. Two days before he "committed". No one around him is happy about it. But yes, Gerry's work on this one, or any of the other ones he's on while on the road 300 days a year, is "Surly-level speculation". 

Just shut the fuck up if you can't discern the difference between someone actually getting bought and the rug being pulled on the entire process versus someone like Gerry magically losing any insights as it pertains to the job he's been competently doing for the last 22+ years. 

You post a lot on this board and the football board, typically in the form of telling all of the rest of us about how you had it straight the whole way and the rest of us should try harder. Given your 9,000 posts, you should have a better understanding of the nature of the recruiting process.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think the funny part of this kind of shit is that Texas folks, this board included, don't really know how a lot of it works besides the "here's the money", and even that varies and gets murky. This would include the guys covering it for UT.

I will readily admit that I don't have the slightest clue how it works but I would be curious if you'd like to enlighten us

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Admittedly, I've only been hyper into recruiting since the charlie strong era. So I truly don't know "how it works." The only insight I have into it is what's widely publicized like when a certain former player talked about money showing up in shoes at pick up basketball games. Or the SEC bagmen article that came out several years ago. It was a legitimate question honestly, not just specific to banks. When a recruit is paid to commit, and decides to flip, does the recruit have to pay back the original school or does a school make an offer big enough that its considered insurmountable by another school so theres little to no risk of the flip? These questions aren't specifically to you, though anything you care to share is obviously welcome. I'm simply responding to this since you're right, it is very much shrouded in mystery still. 

If you throw $ at a recruit and they go elsewhere, you gotta do what SILKK said and Charge It 2 Da Game.

You gonna take him to small claims court? You gonna go break his leg? No, you just nurse your wounds by giving the next kid some money.

It's a shady/complicated world and it's a game where one of the potential outcomes is screwing over your beloved program because you were stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

is there a way to bookmark individual posts so you can refer to them later and tell posters to eat shit when they make definitive predictions with no basis whatsoever?

Click the post number link in the top right corner of the desired post.  You should see an address like so in your address bar:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1995-texas-recruiting-notes-2022-oh-no-we-suck-again/&do=findComment&comment=3719595

Then bookmark (your browser's bookmark facility) the "page".  Your bookmark will take you directly to the post.

• Hook 'Em 2

Humidor:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Hudson

As Sark said, the game is No. 1. I don’t know if some of you actually believe that, so here’s our recruiting transcript (sans Arch Manning with an update on his visit coming in a later post).

TEXAS OFFICIAL VISITORS

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA)
On300 ranking: No. 42

The one-time LSU pledge made an official visit to Texas A&M, and a return trip in late July. LSU is still hanging around the rim and will likely remain in contention. There was a big push by the Aggie commitments with Mathews following their big win over Alabama last Saturday. Headed into the weekend, this is not a recruit IT would be positive about the Longhorns’ chances. Georgia, Florida and Alabama are also going to receive November and early December visits. LSU’s hire will be big here. However, there will be real intrigue down the stretch. It’s a ‘get your hat on the table’ recruitment and take it from there.

DL Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA)
On300 ranking: No. 55

The 4-star from the Pelican State made an official to Florida last weekend. The Gators made a very strong impression. He felt comfortable with the Florida players and the campus life. Alabama and LSU are the other two schools the 6-foot-6, 270-pounder with an 85-inch wingspan is planning to visit. Alabama will receive an unofficial visit November 6. The next hire at LSU will be big here. Wiggins lives with a person that was born in Austin, has family in Austin and believes the University of Texas could be a very good fit. But the decision will be Wiggins', with help from a scheme standpoint.

IOL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA)
On300 ranking: No. 131

The big Cali-bred offensive lineman made officials to Ohio State and Georgia. The Bulldogs are considered the leader headed into the visit. Clemson could receive an official trip as well, and USC remains a factor until he inks. He's building a great relationship with the Texas staff and is eager to return after his June 25th trip to Austin. Of note, his father played at Savannah State and was with the Chargers on their ill-fated ‘95 Super Bowl trip. That makes him a former teammate of Texas wide receivers coach Andre Coleman.

IOL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA)

The 6-foot-5, 320-pound right tackle made official trips to Miami and Oklahoma. After UT this weekend, he has Auburn on November 13th and Florida on November 27th. Arizona State keeps pushing as well.

S Larry Turner-Gooden, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA)

The former Arizona State verbal has made an official visit to Penn State (September 18th), and has Arizona State as a possibility the first weekend in November. USC remains a possibility if the Trojans push. He says he talks to Sark and Blake Gideon and he feels like he’s had a connection with them for a while. He says he wants to see the fans and the atmosphere, so show him something.

TEXAS unofficial visitors

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX)
On300 ranking: No. 4

The Alpha. The enigma. He's headed to the ATX as we speak. Texas is trending in its pursuit of the nation's top-ranked pass-catcher. Alabama and Florida keep pushing for the prospect with sprinter speed. Alabama has expressed some concerns of late on Stewart with being a fit in Nick Saban’s program. Florida isn’t as confident as it was a week or two ago. We shall see.

TE Jaleel Skinner, IMG Academy via Greer, SC - Alabama commit
On300 ranking: No. 17

The recent Alabama pledge is a man of his word. He told the Texas staff he’d make this visit before he committed to Nick Saban, and he’s sticking with it. Jeff Banks will pursue until the end. You may recall after he committed to Alabama we said this one isn’t over. It’s not over.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) - Oregon commit (maybe)
On300 ranking: No. 27

The 6-foot-5, 300-pounder is a maybe for Saturday’s shindig. Texas has remained in contact with the top in-state tackle. This remains an interesting recruitment where Texas A&M looks to no longer be a factor, but Banks remains high on the Horns' list. There are some family dynamics that might keep Banks close to home. These could factor toward Banks not signing with Oregon, should that play out over time. A time honored IT truism, there is value in being runner-up.

"We might make it in on Saturday. I don't know yet." Banks tells IT he'll know for sure Friday evening.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

it's interesting that institutions of higher learning are willingly becoming semi-pro sports leagues. at what point do athletes just stop going to classes, i mean like officially cause most probably don't now.

Since less than 2% of these semi pro athletes will actually make it pro it’s probably best that they still get an education.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Click the post number link in the top right corner of the desired post.  You should see an address like so in your address bar:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1995-texas-recruiting-notes-2022-oh-no-we-suck-again/&do=findComment&comment=3719595

Then bookmark (your browser's bookmark facility) the "page".  Your bookmark will take you directly to the post.

that's a good fix for now, thanks. Would seem like a nice feature for the website itself, but I admittedly know fuckall about technology.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Admittedly, I've only been hyper into recruiting since the charlie strong era. So I truly don't know "how it works." The only insight I have into it is what's widely publicized like when a certain former player talked about money showing up in shoes at pick up basketball games. Or the SEC bagmen article that came out several years ago. It was a legitimate question honestly, not just specific to banks. When a recruit is paid to commit, and decides to flip, does the recruit have to pay back the original school or does a school make an offer big enough that its considered insurmountable by another school so theres little to no risk of the flip? These questions aren't specifically to you, though anything you care to share is obviously welcome. I'm simply responding to this since you're right, it is very much shrouded in mystery still. 

Maybe you should ask Eric Dickerson.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry has been to Atascocita like 10 times in the last 8 months and texts with the dude's family on the reg. Your "1.)" is a classic case of stumbling into a correct outcome without having a fucking clue of how you got there and then calling yourself a genius.

Oregon gave the guy a thumb drive loaded with bitcoin, you fucking imbecile. Two days before he "committed". No one around him is happy about it. But yes, Gerry's work on this one, or any of the other ones he's on while on the road 300 days a year, is "Surly-level speculation". 

Just shut the fuck up if you can't discern the difference between someone actually getting bought and the rug being pulled on the entire process versus someone like Gerry magically losing any insights as it pertains to the job he's been competently doing for the last 22+ years. 

You post a lot on this board and the football board, typically in the form of telling all of the rest of us about how you had it straight the whole way and the rest of us should try harder. Given your 9,000 posts, you should have a better understanding of the nature of the recruiting process.

lol thanks for enlightening me that prospects get bought. No idea that happened. I mentioned GH/IT in the specific context of this recruitment, no desire for a pissing match on their overall record. Thanks for being a fan! 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Reading that update makes me even more pissed at Roach. Banks is legit considering a visit but now knows that a visit will totally blow up the speculation levels. Wow though if Aggy isn't a factor.

No such thing as secret visits anymore.  Something gets posted on social media within an hour of the recruit stepping foot on campus and usually it's before they even arrive.

If Roach could screw up the Banks deal, it never was a deal. We need a Surly Conan's Savage fund for Offensive lineman. I bet Conan's would sponsor the damn thing. Set it up as a second badge so it doesn't hurt the tight end room.  Savage of the week interview. Lunch with the Savages. I'm good for 500.00 a year and I'm not even a nurse.  

Edited to add. Think of the Savage merch. The Savage Burnt Ends Club. 

Edited by BurntUp
  • Hook 'Em 1

I always assumed the “trainer” like that foot work king cock holster took payment and made the transaction then used their influence to keep the kid locked in to whoever made the highest bid. If they gave that Bitcoin straight to banks’s uncle then shew doggy we got ourselves an old fashioned fucking about to happen. Which one of you fuckers wouldn’t take $50k in Bitcoin to “commit” then right at the end have a change of heart and go where you wanted to go anyway? All they gotta do is tell Jeff banks or bo Davis they need $50k to commit and they wind up with $100k to wear burnt orange. Small Price to pay to protect our next heisman winner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting