Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’d be more pissed to find out we spent 300k on him if we weren’t playing the bag game for elite players at other, more important, positions of need.

We?  If you haven't liquidated all of your assets to play the bag game then why would you be pissed? 

It's easy to spend other people's money.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We?  If you haven't liquidated all of your assets to play the bag game then why would you be pissed? 

It's easy to spend other people's money.

Poor choice of words. This stuff doesn't actually piss me off as much as most on here, more speaking from the perspective of most fans. What you're saying is absolutely true.

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone keeps referring to this fictitious "infrastructure" being the reason that Texas isn't in the bag game. Texas isn't in the bag game because boosters aren't interested in a bag game. It's that simple. It's not because they couldn't get a guy to do it or the university is in the way. It's because they don't actually give a shit enough to spend their real money on players. LOTS of money still thinks it's preposterous that we have to pay players at Texas. 

Do you think this is the case because the culture is not built into the university? I think it's a chicken or the egg kind of thing. "We've never done this before, why start now?" The infrastructure is more than just distribution. It's educating those with the power ($) on the benefits of playing the game. Instead, I believe they choose to believe they can just overcome it with "look at our great city" and "We're Texas!" and "we're doing it the right way".

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

People want other people to pay players, when the reality is if you like a team YOU need to figure out how to pay players. I've made it incredibly easy and offered to "be the infrastructure" for anyone wanting to throw money at people and what we have is less than 1% of the fanbase participating. 

I believe the NIL part will work out, eventually. However, we're talking about recruiting, which is a completely different animal. Telling a kid what he can make next year vs. handing him a bag of cash right now have two totally different impacts.

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Start shaming everyone you know who likes the Longhorns and isn't involved in NIL at all. Tell them to come here and donate 10 to the slush fund. Imagine if 500k people gave 10 bucks. That's 5M we could slush to whoever we fucking wanted, instead everyone talks about shithead BMD like they are the only people who can do anything. It honestly pisses me off. 

Many fans don't even want to watch our current team, much less pay the players. I also doubt most fans trust giving money to a slush fund, just my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone keeps referring to this fictitious "infrastructure" being the reason that Texas isn't in the bag game. Texas isn't in the bag game because boosters aren't interested in a bag game. It's that simple. It's not because they couldn't get a guy to do it or the university is in the way. It's because they don't actually give a shit enough to spend their real money on players. LOTS of money still thinks it's preposterous that we have to pay players at Texas. 

There are also lots of people throwing wild numbers out that make no sense for anyone with a reasonable brain. We crowd sourced 70k for a position group over a year and less than 3k as of now for the 2 badasses on our team and everyone wants to talk about all these deep pockets. UT athletics doesn't bring in revenue from the BMD exclusively. They bring it in from the t shirt fans and all the people willing to spend 2-300 each GameDay on shit. 

We have less than 1k people willing to pay players and less than 60 who are willing to pay 600 a year to do it. 

People want other people to pay players, when the reality is if you like a team YOU need to figure out how to pay players. I've made it incredibly easy and offered to "be the infrastructure" for anyone wanting to throw money at people and what we have is less than 1% of the fanbase participating. 

Start shaming everyone you know who likes the Longhorns and isn't involved in NIL at all. Tell them to come here and donate 10 to the slush fund. Imagine if 500k people gave 10 bucks. That's 5M we could slush to whoever we fucking wanted, instead everyone talks about shithead BMD like they are the only people who can do anything. It honestly pisses me off. 

You’ve kind of hit on a tension between supporting a college team and supporting the players with money. 

It is pretty damn expensive to be Joe Longhorn with season tickets. The guy who takes one kid to home games is shelling out a couple grand a year all told. He’s probably taking some shit from his wife about Saturdays in the fall and is forgoing some other stuff the family might want to do. He’ll pay it because of emotions and cause he wants to pass along his love to his kid. But there is a budget to his fandom. 

Now, in addition to that he’s supposed to pay the players directly? And keep in mind that nearly every Joe Longhorn would have (or thinks he would have) given his left nut for Mack Brown to show up to high school practice and ask “do you want to be a Longhorn?” 

I say this as a former D1 season ticket holder (gave them up when I moved) and die hard fan: I can’t think of a less satisfying way to drop 600 dollars than a direct payment to a D1 football player. And if my team ever hoists a trophy, I won’t feel better if I know that the backup LG bought a smart watch with my NIL contribution.

Pro teams don’t rattle the can to pay players directly, they sell the experience and fandom. Not many Cowboys fanatics would just EFT Dak 400 bucks, but they will pay twice that for GameDay. That’s why the model works and why college is in a weird spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Do you think this is the case because the culture is not built into the university? I think it's a chicken or the egg kind of thing. "We've never done this before, why start now?" The infrastructure is more than just distribution. It's educating those with the power ($) on the benefits of playing the game. Instead, I believe they choose to believe they can just overcome it with "look at our great city" and "We're Texas!" and "we're doing it the right way".

I believe the NIL part will work out, eventually. However, we're talking about recruiting, which is a completely different animal. Telling a kid what he can make next year vs. handing him a bag of cash right now have two totally different impacts.

Many fans don't even want to watch our current team, much less pay the players. I also doubt most fans trust giving money to a slush fund, just my opinion.

I agree 1000% with the bolded.

Also completely agree with NIL eventually being the meal ticket but as it currently stands bag game to get recruits > promise of fat NIL on campus.

Also probably a decent time to repost this article from 2014: https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

It’s a brilliant move by Stewart.  

enroll in a diploma mill where the degree isn’t worth the shit you wipe your ass with so no pressure to play school 

play in an offense in which you get 25 pass thrown at you you’re entire career. This minimizes risk of injury.  

use your free time at practice to get better in your craft while the other wrs play grab ass and text their friends 

impress at the combine and a nfl team takes a flier on you similar to sterns who took 3 years off and didn’t do jack shit and got drafted 

profit. 

man’s  playing 5d chess 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

It's against human nature to shell out money for terrible products. You have to be a die hard fan with money to continue to pay for what we are getting in return. Shaming fans for not contributing more at a time when their team constantly gets embarrassed is not the way to do it. It will have the opposite effect imo. Crowd sourcing NIL was a noble effort and would have had more impact if the team was playing well but you can't realistically expect it to be a meaningful contributor to the team's success. At the end of the day, it always come down to the die hard boosters.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys that like to take dumps on this board about the “big money donors” are projecting your ire poorly. The BMDs are a fucking strength of the AD and when properly harnessed, project as a competitive advantage. They’re also not some faceless man pulling strings on coaches and shit. They have this really bad habit of saying “yes, but I’d like to understand it all” when asked for money. Shockingly, they want to help but they’re not buffoons and they didn’t hit 8, 9, or 10 zeros behind a digit in net worth by being morons. 

I’ve preached all along that NIL needs to be a layer cake from top to bottom of interested parties and a lot is coming along fast and some of it unrelated to each other. But $5/month still matters a whole fucking lot and Surly is a good example how that can ultimately be harnessed. Some things take a while and some things can happen fast, we’ll see a lot soon and have done a lot already. 

Beyond all of that, I will stand by what I’ve been saying for 6 months after digging into it and talking to people who cover this stuff with depth - the dark market (bag game) will dissipate over time if the right amount of money is an alternative to point to in a legitimate market (NIL). That will take a cycle or two to be proven true, so folks won’t have to wait too long to call me an idiot if the bag game isn’t relegated to a corner case issue for shitbirds by the 2024/2025 classes. 

Man I hope you are right, because the bag game is killing our program right now and elevating A&M and it’s pissing me off, because 90% of the world doesn’t realize A&M, Georgia and others are just buying wins illegally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys that like to take dumps on this board about the “big money donors” are projecting your ire poorly. The BMDs are a fucking strength of the AD and when properly harnessed, project as a competitive advantage. They’re also not some faceless man pulling strings on coaches and shit. They have this really bad habit of saying “yes, but I’d like to understand it all” when asked for money. Shockingly, they want to help but they’re not buffoons and they didn’t hit 8, 9, or 10 zeros behind a digit in net worth by being morons. 

I’ve preached all along that NIL needs to be a layer cake from top to bottom of interested parties and a lot is coming along fast and some of it unrelated to each other. But $5/month still matters a whole fucking lot and Surly is a good example how that can ultimately be harnessed. Some things take a while and some things can happen fast, we’ll see a lot soon and have done a lot already. 

Beyond all of that, I will stand by what I’ve been saying for 6 months after digging into it and talking to people who cover this stuff with depth - the dark market (bag game) will dissipate over time if the right amount of money is an alternative to point to in a legitimate market (NIL). That will take a cycle or two to be proven true, so folks won’t have to wait too long to call me an idiot if the bag game isn’t relegated to a corner case issue for shitbirds by the 2024/2025 classes. 

What's the time line for it to dissipate? 1 year? 2-3? 4-5? 5+?

I, for one, understand it's not wise for the true big money guys to be involved with the game. Has to come from elsewhere.

NIL will be very good if we properly set it up like you all are trying to do. We just need those big guys who shouldn't participate in the other game to participate in this legal game. I think all it would take is an initial investment by 1 or 2 to set the foundation for what you guys truly want to achieve. Just need them to step up so we can get this ball rolling.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it was me,  I'd probably be pretty annoyed about getting pestered to pay players in addition to getting shaken down for massive donations by the school and athletic department. 

Sometimes it pays to be poor. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

I understand what immamac is saying and I like what he is doing,  but I don't think that the money for aggy,  bama,   or any school playing the bag game comes from the bubbas that get a 30pack and watch the game on their 80" TV in their trailer house.  

Big money runs the country and big money runs college football. Until we figure a way to get the big money involved in a way they are comfortable we are going to be running with the little dogs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Laga4 said:

I understand what immamac is saying and I like what he is doing,  but I don't think that the money for aggy,  bama,   or any school playing the bag game comes from the bubbas that get a 30pack and watch the game on their 80" TV in their trailer house.  

Big money runs the country and big money runs college football. Until we figure a way to get the big money involved in a way they are comfortable we are going to be running with the little dogs. 

I think CTJ/Sydney or maybe Barbacoa said it's essentially the lower to upper mid donors slushing it up essentially. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If it was me,  I'd probably be pretty annoyed about getting pestered to pay players in addition to getting shaken down for massive donations by the school and athletic department. 

You'd think with all that business acumen they'd eventually realize that continuing to enable the richest AD in the country hasn't amounted to shit on the field. Definition of insanity and all that...

32 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It's against human nature to shell out money for terrible products. You have to be a die hard fan with money to continue to pay for what we are getting in return. Shaming fans for not contributing more at a time when their team constantly gets embarrassed is not the way to do it. It will have the opposite affect. Crowd sourcing NIL was a noble effort and would have had more impact if the team was playing well but you can't realistically expect it to be a meaningful contributor to the team's success. At the end of the day, it always come down to the die hard boosters.

Buy the dip

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think CTJ/Sydney or maybe Barbacoa said it's essentially the lower to upper mid donors slushing it up essentially. 

And they are probably right about that.  

But my point is we need to tap in to the really big money,  and make them feel comfortable doing it.

22 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

You'd think with all that business acumen they'd eventually realize that continuing to enable the richest AD in the country hasn't amounted to shit on the field. Definition of insanity and all that...

This is my point,  they (BMD'S) are willing to give,  and are comfortable doing it this way even though it hasn't worked on the field,  even though they built the field.  

Edited by Laga4

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’ve kind of hit on a tension between supporting a college team and supporting the players with money. 

It is pretty damn expensive to be Joe Longhorn with season tickets. The guy who takes one kid to home games is shelling out a couple grand a year all told. He’s probably taking some shit from his wife about Saturdays in the fall and is forgoing some other stuff the family might want to do. He’ll pay it because of emotions and cause he wants to pass along his love to his kid. But there is a budget to his fandom. 

Now, in addition to that he’s supposed to pay the players directly? And keep in mind that nearly every Joe Longhorn would have (or thinks he would have) given his left nut for Mack Brown to show up to high school practice and ask “do you want to be a Longhorn?” 

I say this as a former D1 season ticket holder (gave them up when I moved) and die hard fan: I can’t think of a less satisfying way to drop 600 dollars than a direct payment to a D1 football player. And if my team ever hoists a trophy, I won’t feel better if I know that the backup LG bought a smart watch with my NIL contribution.

Pro teams don’t rattle the can to pay players directly, they sell the experience and fandom. Not many Cowboys fanatics would just EFT Dak 400 bucks, but they will pay twice that for GameDay. That’s why the model works and why college is in a weird spot. 

That's kind of where I'm at. This school and it's AD is rolling in money. Last couple of games excluded, its becoming fucking expensive to watch a game in person. Few hundred bucks for decent seats, $12beers, parking, all the other bullshit, and we've sucked cock for 10 years now.

Because they can't figure out a better way to distribute their resources and put a winning product on the field, it's now up to the fans to start paying players? Fuck that noise. We lost to kansas, and it wasn't because we didn't have enough talent. It's because we hired a fucking chump for a coach. The idea that me chipping in an extra few hundred a year is gonna change the reality that Sark is our head coach doesnt make a lot of sense to me. 

Present coach aside, I have little interest in joining the college football arms race with my own money because it will never be enough. 25 years ago our present state of affairs would have bothered me a lot more than it does today. The absurdity of coaching salaries, NIL, the transfer portal, just causes me to shake my head and laugh. Somehow college football is morphing into a shittier version of the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I know you're an aggy homer but please tell me how this is any different than the Demas commit? Highly ranked 5 star receiver being the "missing piece" that wound up with what, 15 catches on the year? 

Demas was the bonnet, Stewart is the bee, which was a piece that was missing.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It's against human nature to shell out money for terrible products. You have to be a die hard fan with money to continue to pay for what we are getting in return. Shaming fans for not contributing more at a time when their team constantly gets embarrassed is not the way to do it. It will have the opposite affect. Crowd sourcing NIL was a noble effort and would have had more impact if the team was playing well but you can't realistically expect it to be a meaningful contributor to the team's success. At the end of the day, it always come down to the die hard boosters.

Fans defy human nature. Hence the name. Humans make decisions based on emotions and then rationalize those decisions with whatever logic they can find. That’s true rich or poor. Only sociopaths, narcissists, BPD, and geniuses occasionally evade that reality. 

48 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Man I hope you are right, because the bag game is killing our program right now and elevating A&M and it’s pissing me off, because 90% of the world doesn’t realize A&M, Georgia and others are just buying wins illegally. 

I don’t agree with what others are saying about the bag game. They’re going to magically wind up with 5 key guys around signing day. It will also dissipate over time. 

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What's the time line for it to dissipate? 1 year? 2-3? 4-5? 5+?

I, for one, understand it's not wise for the true big money guys to be involved with the game. Has to come from elsewhere.

NIL will be very good if we properly set it up like you all are trying to do. We just need those big guys who shouldn't participate in the other game to participate in this legal game. I think all it would take is an initial investment by 1 or 2 to set the foundation for what you guys truly want to achieve. Just need them to step up so we can get this ball rolling.

I already gave you my thoughts on a timeframe. The big money will come in on NIL. Already seeing it. 

44 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sometimes it pays to be poor. 

Not the way it works. Folks like to spend their money somewhere. 

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I didn’t say that. I literally just posted, again, about what it should and will look like. It will take all kinds. 

31 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Frankly, this is part of the natural tension that has occurred. The AD has made a case to avoid NIL in part because they’re threatened. It won’t work out for them and it is shortsighted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, Georgia is buying wins. Aggy remains a .500 conference team so all they’ve bought is a bowl trip for a coach-less LSU.
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

really don't agree with this at all. the point of crowdsourcing is that you don't need a single dude coming in and dropping 100k - you raise it from a bunch of people.

the idea of being able to do things like the BMF awards is great. the idea of crowdsourcing for Burnt Ends position group is great.

it has value, it adds up quickly.

look at instagram if 0.5% of followers of Texas Football donated just $5 / month

image.png.5f9e5c1ef60a3b9aec75cd574047962c.png

even at 0.05% of followers it's still not nothing.

image.png.be962651815657c49e935c9e8551eb1d.png

options like this should be a booth at the football games. should be an add on/upsell to add on to your season ticket prices when you pay. should have a fucking tip jar at the stadium for the player of the game.

crowdsourcing is incredibly valuable, and the hardest part is figuring out infrastructure and how to make it "work" on the back end.

the fact that NOT ONE of the other Texas pay sites have stepped up (yet) and and hosted something like this for a player or position group, crowdsourced from their subscriber base can only be chalked up to pure not giving a fuck about the players or team and only caring about hoovering up money from their subscribers pockets.

shit like OB, i get. sites like Inside Texas make so much sense to be onboard, even if it's just crowdsourcing for ONE PLAYER who is fun. take the exact same thing that is done here and pay someone down the depth chart something to come on your podcast for 10 min a week to talk about the game (or preview the upcoming game, who cares) - you are telling me you can't raise money for JD Coffey? or Isaac Pearson to talk about the changes from AUS to TEX? talk to Logan Parr about how it is to be at Texas. Cole Lourd. pick someone and make it happen.

sounds like they would get their money's worth out of it instead of hyping up the guy they gave $Texas.

but nope. instead it is us Surly fucks somehow leading the way...still...when the season is over (thanks guys for all the work and $$$ you have put in, seriously)

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, immamac said:

There are also lots of people throwing wild numbers out that make no sense for anyone with a reasonable brain. We crowd sourced 70k for a position group over a year and less than 3k as of now for the 2 badasses on our team and everyone wants to talk about all these deep pockets. UT athletics doesn't bring in revenue from the BMD exclusively. They bring it in from the t shirt fans and all the people willing to spend 2-300 each GameDay on shit. 

We have less than 1k people willing to pay players and less than 60 who are willing to pay 600 a year to do it. 

alright he is worthy of $100

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fans defy human nature. Hence the name. Humans make decisions based on emotions and then rationalize those decisions with whatever logic they can find. That’s true rich or poor. Only sociopaths, narcissists, BPD, and geniuses occasionally evade that reality. 

I don’t agree with what others are saying about the bag game. They’re going to magically wind up with 5 key guys around signing day. It will also dissipate over time. 

I already gave you my thoughts on a timeframe. The big money will come in on NIL. Already seeing it. 

I didn’t say that. I literally just posted, again, about what it should and will look like. It will take all kinds. 

Frankly, this is part of the natural tension that has occurred. The AD has made a case to avoid NIL in part because they’re threatened. It won’t work out for them and it is shortsighted. 

Well you have fewer fans when your team doesn't win. Ratings go down, merchandise sales go down, ticket sales go down, etc. So I am not convinced fans don't exhibit typical human behavior. If Texas were winning, we would have no trouble filling our Surly funds. As CDC likes to say, fans have an option to decide what they want to do with their time and money and he is thankful that we spend those things supporting the team.

Genuine question from someone uninformed as to how this all goes down: what's the difference with this shit between football and basketball?  It's obvious that we've had some sort of "infrastructure" for basketball recruiting for a few decades now.  Why are we having so much trouble translating that to football?  Common sense says given the interests of our fanbase, you'd think it would be the opposite.  Although maybe this is one of those things where it's better to have less cooks in the kitchen.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

For the big money (and let’s face it, the smaller money), there is also the aura of legitimacy.

”I endow an athletic scholarship/support the college athletic fund/etc.” has some nice cachet. You put that framed certificate in your office, get your name in the program, get the bumper sticker, wear your jacket. Whatever.

”I paid NIL to DBs/dropped a bag for a great OL” doesn’t have the same kind of warm fuzzy or social respectability. You’re fishing in totally different waters, and frankly- drifting off shore from where responsible ADs want to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I'd buy more into the recruit bag-game significantly dissipating if 100% of these kids were able to sign-on and start reeling in NIL cash while still in HS.
In 3-5 years (or whatever) when every power 5 program [that matters] has an NIL program running that nearly mirrors the rest after they've all copy-catted each other to oblivion, that's still the perfect environment for the bag game, because an advantage is needed. If a recruit is down to three schools, each with NIL deals that would guarantee him $500-700K as soon as he enrolls, does that stop him from wanting and taking $100K while he's still in HS? Unless part of this new NIL era includes a far more strict crack down on the underground recruiting market, then I don't see why bags are still not an open avenue. Basically: nothing with the NIL has made it more advantageous for a recruit to not also take money under the table.
Now sure, every couple of years or so a university will come up with some revolutionary NIL idea that will give them an advantage with their recruits, but when every other university is doing it by the next year (or two), the advantage has expired.
Now of course, the need to continue bagging these guys through college significantly goes down.
Also, I can accept that maybe I'm missing something here, and will acknowledge that from what I know about you (and some others on here), y'all probably talk to a few more smarter people than I do. So I'm willing to listen to what I'm missing.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

who are you referring to? I hope it's us but it seems more like aggy. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I guess I'd buy more into the recruit bag-game significantly dissipating if 100% of these kids were able to sign-on and start reeling in NIL cash while still in HS.
In 3-5 years (or whatever) when every power 5 program [that matters] has an NIL program running that nearly mirrors the rest after they've all copy-catted each other to oblivion, that's still the perfect environment for the bag game, because an advantage is needed. If a recruit is down to three schools, each with NIL deals that would guarantee him $500-700K as soon as he enrolls, does that stop him from wanting and taking $100K while he's still in HS? Unless part of this new NIL era includes a far more strict crack down on the underground recruiting market, then I don't see why bags are still not an open avenue. Basically: nothing with the NIL has made it more advantageous for a recruit to not also take money under the table.
Now sure, every couple of years or so a university will come up with some revolutionary NIL idea that will give them an advantage with their recruits, but when every other university is doing it by the next year (or two), the advantage has expired.
Now of course, the need to continue bagging these guys through college significantly goes down.
Also, I can accept that maybe I'm missing something here, and will acknowledge that from what I know about you (and some others on here), y'all probably talk to a few more smarter people than I do. So I'm willing to listen to what I'm missing.

The problem with your premise is flat out resources. You keep saying every program that matters, but in reality even among the list of 20 or so programs you'd list out, only 5-6 of them can match and stay competitive with something that can be built at Texas. Alabama has a great bag game, but when Saban retires and there's money flowing through corporate channels, I doubt they're keeping up. You can't copy cat alumni resources. Period. There simply aren't that many programs with enough rich alumni and recruit appeal that are going to dedicate 15 million a year to paying football players. And that's what CTJ has been talking about with the "layering." It all adds up. And what it adds up to is everyone at Texas on the roster getting 100k a year to play football. Or a 150k. Plus whatever other individual deals they can sign up for...no matter how you slice the numbers, it will still come down to resources. And Texas is at the top end, ahead of many others. And all of this is before you take into account business money from being around Austin versus, say, Tuscaloosa.

Think of it a different way. Look at what Phil Knight as done at Oregon. Can Texas match that? Yes. But not every other school has a billionaire alum who owns a chunk of Nike, who also cares desperately about winning, and who can re-task his Nike resources to build a huge marketing and PR firm that exists solely to get Oregon athletes paid. Texas could build that. But does aTm have that guy? Does Alabama have that guy? It's about resources. You can have the highest tech drilling equipment in the fucking world at your beck and call that you've copied from the best oil technology firms in the world, but if the plot of land you're drilling on is Vermont guess what you're fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

who are you referring to? I hope it's us but it seems more like aggy. 

While I have to give you props for your avatar, specifically as it relates to @closetojumping, if you haven't got an idea who some of the players Texas is looking to close on, you haven't been paying attention. 

yes aggy. they're going all out for the #1 class this year. they're probably not going to be as good next year (not withstanding the @closetojumping preseason prediction kiss of death), but if they keep stockpiling top 5 classes could be pretty solid in a few years and then Jimbo just has to find the QB who can make his system work and there you go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

really don't agree with this at all. the point of crowdsourcing is that you don't need a single dude coming in and dropping 100k - you raise it from a bunch of people.

the idea of being able to do things like the BMF awards is great. the idea of crowdsourcing for Burnt Ends position group is great.

it has value, it adds up quickly.

look at instagram if 0.5% of followers of Texas Football donated just $5 / month

image.png.5f9e5c1ef60a3b9aec75cd574047962c.png

even at 0.05% of followers it's still not nothing.

image.png.be962651815657c49e935c9e8551eb1d.png

options like this should be a booth at the football games. should be an add on/upsell to add on to your season ticket prices when you pay. should have a fucking tip jar at the stadium for the player of the game.

crowdsourcing is incredibly valuable, and the hardest part is figuring out infrastructure and how to make it "work" on the back end.

the fact that NOT ONE of the other Texas pay sites have stepped up (yet) and and hosted something like this for a player or position group, crowdsourced from their subscriber base can only be chalked up to pure not giving a fuck about the players or team and only caring about hoovering up money from their subscribers pockets.

shit like OB, i get. sites like Inside Texas make so much sense to be onboard, even if it's just crowdsourcing for ONE PLAYER who is fun. take the exact same thing that is done here and pay someone down the depth chart something to come on your podcast for 10 min a week to talk about the game (or preview the upcoming game, who cares) - you are telling me you can't raise money for JD Coffey? or Isaac Pearson to talk about the changes from AUS to TEX? talk to Logan Parr about how it is to be at Texas. Cole Lourd. pick someone and make it happen.

sounds like they would get their money's worth out of it instead of hyping up the guy they gave $Texas.

but nope. instead it is us Surly fucks somehow leading the way...still...when the season is over (thanks guys for all the work and $$$ you have put in, seriously)

In fairness to IT, they did have a deal with Hudson Card to get him paid. You can argue about whether he was the right player to reward, but at least they are trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The problem with your premise is flat out resources. You keep saying every program that matters, but in reality even among the list of 20 or so programs you'd list out, only 5-6 of them can match and stay competitive with something that can be built at Texas. Alabama has a great bag game, but when Saban retires and there's money flowing through corporate channels, I doubt they're keeping up. You can't copy cat alumni resources. Period. There simply aren't that many programs with enough rich alumni and recruit appeal that are going to dedicate 15 million a year to paying football players. And that's what CTJ has been talking about with the "layering." It all adds up. And what it adds up to is everyone at Texas on the roster getting 100k a year to play football. Or a 150k. Plus whatever other individual deals they can sign up for...no matter how you slice the numbers, it will still come down to resources. And Texas is at the top end, ahead of many others. And all of this is before you take into account business money from being around Austin versus, say, Tuscaloosa.

Think of it a different way. Look at what Phil Knight as done at Oregon. Can Texas match that? Yes. But not every other school has a billionaire alum who owns a chunk of Nike, who also cares desperately about winning, and who can re-task his Nike resources to build a huge marketing and PR firm that exists solely to get Oregon athletes paid. Texas could build that. But does aTm have that guy? Does Alabama have that guy? It's about resources. You can have the highest tech drilling equipment in the fucking world at your beck and call that you've copied from the best oil technology firms in the world, but if the plot of land you're drilling on is Vermont guess what you're fucked. 

That's fair. I guess the difference is that I see more than 5-6 schools that can compete, and that could be where I'm off. Obviously what Texas has to offer in resources, and Phil Knight, those are incredible, I just believe now that we've put this all out in the open that those 20 or so  programs could pull more than we'd like to think.

It's going to interesting to watch unfold, at the least.

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Hopefully NIL takes it to the player getting the cash instead of his "uncle" getting the cash. Also... $100k vs nothing is easy choice... $100k vs $125k becomes less clear. And finally at some point if enough NIL money is out there the bar for bags to raise to compete each year becomes large to the point they spend more time figuring out NIL then they do bags just from logistical practicality standpoint.

Man until Stewart signs,  I think he’s just committing to get the 💰💰💰 then spurns the aggies.. 

I know Sark is going to throw everything at him. . . I mean the proof is in the pudding right ?? 

1 Fresh WR had more yards than the entire team, Like come on make it make sense 

GIF by Achievement Hunter

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Genuine question from someone uninformed as to how this all goes down: what's the difference with this shit between football and basketball?  It's obvious that we've had some sort of "infrastructure" for basketball recruiting for a few decades now.  Why are we having so much trouble translating that to football?  Common sense says given the interests of our fanbase, you'd think it would be the opposite.  Although maybe this is one of those things where it's better to have less cooks in the kitchen.

AAU system already in place with basketball as well as the shoe companies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

While I have to give you props for your avatar, specifically as it relates to @closetojumping, if you haven't got an idea who some of the players Texas is looking to close on, you haven't been paying attention. 

I think I can guess the 5 or so players he referenced, but the way he worded it made it seem like it wasn't going to be us who magically wound up with said players. I got it now though, preciate that. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That's fair. I guess the difference is that I see more than 5-6 schools that can compete, and that could be where I'm off. Obviously what Texas has to offer in resources, and Phil Knight, those are incredible, I just believe now that we've put this all out in the open that those 20 or so  programs could pull more than we'd like to think.

It's going to interesting to watch unfold, at the least.

I'm speculating as much as you are...but lets say that the annual bag budget for a top end school like Alabama is...500k. Fuck it, lets say 750, but I'd guess it's closer to 500. These are all numbers I'm pulling out of my ass.

How many schools alums do you see passing the hat for 14.5 million a year Which would pay each football player 100k.  That's an almost 20x increase in spending required just to stay competitive. And doesn't include any other individual corporate sponsorships or additional opportunities each player has through NIL. 

You may love going to the movies. You may love drinking milk. You may love contributing to the Burnt Ends. How many things in your life will you unquestionably spend money on without a second thought if the price increased by 20x? I love going to the movies, but if the tickets go from $20 to $400, I'm probably out. I'm not a milk guy personally, but it's currently at what, $3.75? How often are you going to feed your kids cereal when a gallon of milk is $75? 

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

In fairness to IT, they did have a deal with Hudson Card to get him paid. You can argue about whether he was the right player to reward, but at least they are trying. 

sure, and they 100% slanted their coverage based on that agreement - for *nothing* in return.

their weekly videos with him go up on his PERSONAL youtube channel with dropping views.

image.png.3911628541894181a8df3454399724d5.png

he has his subscribers set to private so can't see that growth.

he has like 25k followers on instagram

it's a shitty deal all the way around. it isn't going to keep him at Texas. it doesn't provide good content and it cost an arm and a leg. it's a 1 off deal.

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Indeed, USC would worry me a little but also Freeman is likely getting the HC job at ND and if not, he's probably gonna stay there if Fickle gets the job, so I don't think we should get our hopes up.

FYI that was from a parody account

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

How many schools alums do you see passing the hat for 14.5 million a year Which would pay each football player 100k.  That's an almost 20x increase in spending required just to stay competitive. And doesn't include any other individual corporate sponsorships or additional opportunities each player has through NIL. 

We're going to find out. Point taken for sure.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting