Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

48 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT

Hide contents

*Al’Vonte Woodard and Ayodele Adeoye entered the portal yesterday. As you know, they’ll be joined by many more. Both of those players had their exit interviews on Monday. Other players that had interviews on Monday are prime candidates to enter the portal as well. We’ll see what they do. As you know it’s a bit delicate and we don’t want to put names out there. Most of these guys won’t be surprises, though.

*IT hears Minnesota transfer OL Curtis Duncan is supposed to visit Texas this weekend. He was talented coming out of high school but apparently rows in the opposite direction of PJ Fleck. He’s a big body and you know Kyle Flood likes them big.

*We don’t believe Texas will make a move for Austin Stogner. The OU TE is a talented receiving threat to be sure, but it sounds like the staff is looking elsewhere.

*As Gerry posted in another thread, there is some talk CB’s coach Terry Joseph will become the safeties coach at LSU. This would reunite him with Brian Kelly while also returning him to the recruiting territory he knows best. In time you’ll learn any recruiting issues he had at Texas weren’t because of him. And the coaching issues were more due to being in a disjointed schematic situation with PK.

*You may have seen a “reach” or two offered lately. While those offers did catch us by surprise, we may see a couple of more O-linemen go to the portal than we initially thought, and Savion Red offers versatility and toughness to a roster in need of it.

*IT feels pretty good about UT’s chances with Kobie McKinzie. He’s a straight line missile at linebacker but the game isn’t played in straight lines. He’s more of an OLB. He’d be a really good replacement for Eoghan Kerry, but also for a portal candidate.

*Malik Agbo is an OL IT feels pretty good about. This is in line with needing beef up front. He’s a pure guard candidate to mine eyes. We can feel good about this o-lineman because the market isn’t as crazy for him as the others.

*We keep getting asked about how Texas will finish the class. We keep saying there’s too much variance to get a good understanding. These recruitments can be won and lost at the last minute.

*The announcement of the Clark Field Collective will indeed help recruiting. Texas, more accurately donors, want the coaches to be able to show recruits this is what our 85th guy on the roster makes, this is what a starter makes, and this is what a star makes. This initiative helps that sell across the board, but its greatest strength will be to increase the baseline talent across the board. That is Grand Plan No 1.

*Grand Plan No 2 will more directly target a specific need. That program is still in the works but the goal is to have it launched in time to help with this class. In any event, it will help with the portal.

In time you’ll learn any recruiting issues he had at Texas weren’t because of him.

i mean, let's hear it. this is a huge claim to make.

This is going to just increase depth on the roster like no-other.  Think of Alabama level depth in a few years.  That creates winning, which only increases other potential NIL deals for the top end guys.   Think of how much legal money VY could have made back in the day with a national championship level team and the number of eyes watching him play.  What Bijan is pulling down right now is peanuts in comparison.

And after a while, as the performance of the team and talent level increases, more guys actually get drafted into the league, make money, and maybe kick back a little more to the fund.  It's Genius.

40 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Now I understand your comments about the bag game diminishing in the future--you're resetting the whole house from foundation to roof ridge.  I was still in bird in hand mode.  Bags would be too small for this.  

The problem was, @closetojumping was the only one who could see the battle map laid out in the ivory tower. Now his insults and aspersions are warranted and agreed upon by the unwashed masses. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 2

This seems pretty huge and far reaching. Tip of the hat to anyone that played a part in this. Have to imagine this will help hire support staff and coaches as this gives every recruiter on staff a "story to tell" to every recruit and portal player across the country. Talk about opening doors... this blows them open.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

The thing is the players can look right back at Sark and ask him the same question with regards to halftime adjustments and how he has held his staff accountable.

Lol. Except it's a moot point because the guys being called into the office first are already fucking fired. So they can take whatever fucking satisfaction they want from their "You can't fire me, I quit!" moment but it don't make a fucking shit. They're still unemployed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good for her. It's private money. She may as well sit there and bitch that there isn't enough lesbian representation in television and film, and she can go back to flicking her bean while watching The Equalizer on CBS, which @closetojumping watches the live broadcast religiously every week. That's how much say she has here. 

He watches Plonsky flick her bean or the equalizer?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Love it. I’m on board. 
will be joining Burnt Endz after the holidays and my monies aren’t all fucked up from buying gifts. 🙄🙄

I mean, it's $10. If $10 is gonna fuck up your gift situation, then you're already letting your family down.

This coming from someone who finally signed up yesterday. ;) I really consider it more of a subscription to a website that occupies the vast majority of my fuck-around free time. It helps me reconcile the conundrum of giving my money to teenagers I don't know...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Guys like Stewart won’t get the same money as the 3rd string right guard. The imbalance potential is massive. 

Beyond that, the whole point is that incentives in the future for virtually everyone will change. Once it’s proven and consistent that star WRs will make 6 figures yearly, schools are going to need alums to competitively make that happen. Things like that start to sap the Uncle Fund. But keep arguing that the bag game will reign supreme, I guess. It’s obviously important in this cycle, in any event. 

BTW, Evan Stewart’s dad is the “uncle” here and to think Stewart is getting the jack is incorrect. Every cycle will include the random uncle or two, no matter how much above board money is also in play. 

So 100k is the minimum? Guys like Bijan could her 200k/year as an example?

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, here we go. 

His 300k might not be taxed. And yes, his NIL money will be taxed. But even assuming 4 years (maybe 5 now) and a 25% tax rate, he's at net even. Plus all the other NIL deals he can make at Texas. Say, another one that sponsors WR. Say, all that Tik Tok money. Say he's a stud and gets a car dealership deal. Do you know how many car dealerships there are in Austin versus College Station? I fucking do. He could walk out of Texas at worst with the same as aTm AFTER he pays taxes, and he could also walk out of Texas worth 2 million. He can't do that in College Station. 

Agree 100% - it's still net positive.  By a large measure.

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Financial literacy classes have to be given thought. Especially when the uncles show up with hands out. Hey nephew don’t forget your cousins type BS. Also don’t go showing up to practice with a 2022 dodge hellcat or BMW M5 shit 

UT really is missing the boat here on this.  With such an excellent business school, I am certain they could assign a few students to map out a plan for each player as part of a project.  

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Watching the light bulb come on for some of your folks after spending months literally outlining how this should/could be done, down to demographics of population density, corporate presence, living alumni, endowments, all of it...is fucking hilarious. So many of you dismissing this concept while some of us outlined it time and time again now finding Jesus. Well, at least you understand now. You layer it all up. You get basic income, plus the ability to earn more, way more, if you're a productive player. Bijan's boxing deal doesn't go away with this. It's just more. And more and more and more. 

200.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, it's $10. If $10 is gonna fuck up your gift situation, then you're already letting your family down.

This coming from someone who finally signed up yesterday. ;) I really consider it more of a subscription to a website that occupies the vast majority of my fuck-around free time. It helps me reconcile the conundrum of giving my money to teenagers I don't know...

Listen here you son of a bitch. Lol

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, feel free to link those for the rest of us, kind sir. Navigating Reddit makes my teeth itch. 

Here ya go, king.

I’m a bit busy so can’t screen and upload but there’s some fun discussions in there. Surprisingly, aggy fans have been pretty sane about the whole thing - until Evan’s bag got brought up down thread, of course.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

UT really is missing the boat here on this.  With such an excellent business school, I am certain they could assign a few students to map out a plan for each player as part of a project.  

1.) They're not missing the boat. It's legally required.

2.) The org just announced it's formation about an hour ago, for fuck's sake. Are you "missing the boat." when you don't have your teeth brushed 30 seconds after waking up?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

The corporate angle would be nice to leverage as a part of stage 3 or whatever. Dell/Tesla/Samsung etc with tons of investment in the area, even a very small rounding error of that investment going to this would be huge. 

Aggie will be scraping pennies together from State Farm branches in Katy, and the Dixie Chicken. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He watches Plonsky flick her bean or the equalizer?

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes

Listen, assholes, I find Queen Latifah both compelling and completely believable as an asskicking ex-special ops person in her late 50's whipping young menacing whitey ass. Or, I'm sure that's what's happening on that show. Looks awesome. I hear Oprah frequently guest stars and comes in over the top for cap motherfuckers every now and then as well.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is fucking amazing.  Aside from the obvious benefits to Texas football - all I can think about are the kids who come from less than nothing who now have the opportunity to help siblings/parents.  Incredible.

Also incentivized to complete the degree. No need to rush to the nfl as an early entry for low round players. 

53 minutes ago, someguy said:

FWIW, there are approximately 520ish student athletes at UT.

is this based on scholarships that can be split - like with baseball (so think FTE count) or # of people receiving any % of a scholarship (think head count)?

wondering if thats the difference between ~520 and the 700 number

Serious question from an admittedly obtuse poster. If the money that gets paid out is indeed private and discretionary, meaning that each year different players could be given different amounts, does that mean that the coaching staffs will be making payment decisions for every player every year? Seems like that would get really touchy, not to mention how much time will be taken by that work. Player X bickering about wanting 7K more, or $35K, or whatever...then shopping that number around to other schools. Just seems like it could get really unwieldy on an annual basis. Am I misunderstanding how this plays out in reality? 

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, here we go. 

His 300k might not be taxed. And yes, his NIL money will be taxed. But even assuming 4 years (maybe 5 now) and a 25% tax rate, he's at net even. Plus all the other NIL deals he can make at Texas. Say, another one that sponsors WR. Say, all that Tik Tok money. Say he's a stud and gets a car dealership deal. Do you know how many car dealerships there are in Austin versus College Station? I fucking do. He could walk out of Texas at worst with the same as aTm AFTER he pays taxes, and he could also walk out of Texas worth 2 million. He can't do that in College Station. 

Devils advocate here. Aggy will have NIL money to add to the bag also. I’ll concede to the premise that Austin can provide a more NiL opportunities than CS. At the end of the day though, per your own numbers bag money only has to match 75% of NIL money. May be the amounts are so high at some point it won’t matter but I’m not there yet. Something to be said for cash in hand vs waiting a year also. 

and don’t get me wrong, I certainly hope the UT model is the one the top players migrate to I just know that schools like aggy will not concede the Austin NIL advantage.  Their bags will increase too.  Will the NIL route be enough?  Still unanswered in my opinion  

ducking for CTJ to tell me how I have no critical thinking skills  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The corporate angle would be nice to leverage as a part of stage 3 or whatever. Dell/Tesla/Samsung etc with tons of investment in the area, even a very small rounding error of that investment going to this would be huge. 

Aggie will be scraping pennies together from State Farm branches in Katy, and the Dixie Chicken. 

Yep heard Apple loves Austin

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Serious question from an admittedly obtuse poster. If the money that gets paid out is indeed private and discretionary, meaning that each year different players could be given different amounts, does that mean that the coaching staffs will be making payment decisions for every player every year? Seems like that would get really touchy, not to mention how much time will be taken by that work. Player X bickering about wanting 7K more, or $35K, or whatever...then shopping that number around to other schools. Just seems like it could get really unwieldy on an annual basis. Am I misunderstanding how this plays out in reality? 

Yes. Coaches will not be doing any of that shit. Maybe they wink and no to the right person that someone hasn't fulfilled their contract and should be off the team. Or they just GET THAT GUY OFF THE TEAM and then they don't get any more money. But coaches won't be doing any of the things you suggested. 

1 minute ago, mantis toboggan said:

Devils advocate here. Aggy will have NIL money to add to the bag also. I’ll concede to the premise that Austin can provide a more NiL opportunities than CS. At the end of the day though, per your own numbers bag money only has to match 75% of NIL money. May be the amounts are so high at some point it won’t matter but I’m not there yet. Something to be said for cash in hand vs waiting a year also. 

and don’t get me wrong, I certainly hope the UT model is the one the top players migrate to I just know that schools like aggy will not concede the Austin NIL advantage.  Their bags will increase too.  Will the NIL route be enough?  Still unanswered in my opinion  

ducking for CTJ to tell me how I have no critical thinking skills  

I mean, you don't have to wait for CTJ. The Texas alumni base is larger, and wealthier than aTm's by a fairly substantial margin. Tell me, where is all this money going to come from to make up the difference? And that's BEFORE you even include corporate interests. Do you think they have unlimited donor funds? Wake me up when they put together something like this...they had to fucking borrow money from the university to fucking BUILD THEIR STADIUM RENOVATION. 

You can say it's unanswered, but that's not factually accurate. It's been answered, you just don't believe it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting