Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Aggy can have a historic class and still won’t win shit. Calzada or King aren’t winning a thing. They lose half their defense and who knows what happens with Elko?  They will be lucky to win 7 games next year. Ask any aggy….this was Their year!!!  And they shit the bed. 

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

official:

Reveal hidden contents

expect some major movement there over the rest of the week. no reason they would all stay behind Stroud.

I’ve given up on the Ewers dream. They’re staying through spring before anyone portals. 

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Man this thread turned south fast. Wtf is the staff doing? Can’t even get Brown to hold off for Sark’s in home vs the most backlogged QB room in the country? That’s not on bags. Fucking disgraceful. 

well, no one wants to play for a loser.  gonna need the portal and hope Sark pulls something out of his ass.  any coach in the land can show a recruit Sark's HC record.

we'll still get some guys because Texas but there is no quick fix when you go 5-7 charlie style.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Don Hornleone said:

Also, I thought Maalik Murphy was supposed to have this presence about him where these blue chips want to ride with him. Don’t get me twisted, I’m not blaming him for our recruiting woes AT ALL. It’s the coaches job to close on the guys. Just noticed that he’s been rather quite down the stretch. 

To be fair, it’s hard to be rah rah, when the team loses to Kansas. 

2 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Also, I thought Maalik Murphy was supposed to have this presence about him where these blue chips want to ride with him. Don’t get me twisted, I’m not blaming him for our recruiting woes AT ALL. It’s the coaches job to close on the guys. Just noticed that he’s been rather quite down the stretch. 

He's not exactly a local

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

I don't think Murphy ever had that kind of juice.

2 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

At this rate, Sarkisian is going to have to hit the perfecta in the portal and then some, if he wants to coach this team in the SEC

That's for sure.  

Plus our all star coaching staff is going to have to coach their ass off next year. 

5 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Just like your mom.

Staring Will Ferrell GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Our coaches seem to suck at recruiting. These misses aren’t all about bags. Stewart and Harris yes but not guys like Brown and Golden. And even being in the ballpark for the former two probably lands them. 

Golden was never coming here the moment Kelly was retained. We offered him like 3 weeks ago after he had been treated as the #1 target in TCU and Baylor’s class.

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Try not to. Went for the LSU melt, got sucked in reading up on their stud fucking class. I keep hearing how Jimbo is an ace recruiter. Yeah, pretty sure I could be too with that bankroll. 

I find it hard to care when their class is so good despite what we have seen on the field the past 4 years. Some things are just out of your control. I think our move to the SEC motivated their turbo boosters. Our class isn't bad as a foundation, but I would love to see some more high end playmakers.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What’s the fucking point?  We’ve gotten to where we lose our mind with excitement anytime some G5 QB who lost his job enters the portal. It’s fucking pathetic.  

I guess we better hope Card can stop shitting down his own leg and that Bijan can score 4 or 5 TDs a game. 

The portal could have some good options. I think the best QBs are going to be talking to our staff before they even enter their names. That's probably what most of these guys are doing before they enter. Wonder who transfers from 'Bama after this weekend? That's where our ties are. Also, who's the new DB coach?

11 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Getting trolled by our own recruits is next level shamfuckery.

Getting trolled by our own recruits is next level shamfuckery.

We aren’t getting trolled. They are trying to show fake momentum at a time when we are getting steamrolled. Not sure if it is player or coach driven, but it only makes them look worse the more people commit elsewhere. But I am not sure how to blame them for anything. This recruiting staff and set of coaches wasn’t prepared for any of this. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

We aren’t getting trolled. They are trying to show fake momentum at a time when we are getting steamrolled. Not sure if it is player or coach driven, but it only makes them look worse the more people commit elsewhere. But I am not sure how to blame them for anything. This recruiting staff and set of coaches wasn’t prepared for any of this. 

Maybe they are getting trolled and in turn trolling us. Whatever it is it seems to be doing the opposite of what we hoped for.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

They aren’t trolling us and it isn’t fake momentum - we just aren’t excited about the players they are tweeting about (Red & Kobie). 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What’s the fucking point?  We’ve gotten to where we lose our mind with excitement anytime some G5 QB who lost his job enters the portal. It’s fucking pathetic.  

I guess we better hope Card can stop shitting down his own leg and that Bijan can score 4 or 5 TDs a game. 

if he can't get a QB 50x better than Card form the portal this year and coach that guy up then we should just fire him at the end of next year and start over again.  It's basically the only reason he got the damn job in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

They lost 7 games including 6 straight this year....they may have been prepared for this

Teams have recruited well with bad records after year 1. Jimbo is paying the right players at the right time and is scheduling it for ultimate effect. We could be doing everything they are doing. This would have been easier to stomach if they had beat Bama and ended the season on a winning streak. But they have looked mediocre on both sides of the ball in their losses in year 4. 

But our coaches are trying to talk themselves into kids that have not put up great tape in their Senior years so we can keep up with A&M. We haven’t been evaluating players until they have been committed for months to teams that have whipped our asses this year. 

12 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Terry Joseph and Andre Coleman can gtfo. No real reason for them to be retained any longer at this point. And TOSU QBs fucking suck in the NFL, no idea what they are even selling to the point they have jam packed QB room.

I’m not sure this can be pinned on Joseph, given that Harris has presumably heard the rumors that he’s leaving at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Teams have recruited well with bad records after year 1. Jimbo is paying the right players at the right time and is scheduling it for ultimate effect. We could be doing everything they are doing. This would have been easier to stomach if they had beat Bama and ended the season on a winning streak. But they have looked mediocre on both sides of the ball in their losses in year 4. 

But our coaches are trying to talk themselves into kids that have not put up great tape in their Senior years so we can keep up with A&M. We haven’t been evaluating players until they have been committed for months to teams that have whipped our asses this year. 

No I meant ready to lose. Like mentally ready

• Haha 1

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

@closetojumping @Barbacoa

Is there any good news on the horizon or are we pretty much boned this cycle?  I guess I need to hit the scotch again tonight.

CTJ has said very recently that he still thinks we will get a few players in the end that will be better than we would/should expect. 

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

CTJ has said very recently that he still thinks we will get a few players in the end that will be better than we would/should expect. 

I hope he’s right but damn it’s hard to see that happening right now. Not sure we even have 5 big targets left at this point do we? I mean it’s basically just the OLs and Law assuming Harris is out. 
edit: I guess Perkins too but yeah right 

Edited by Tex-19

7 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

@closetojumping @Barbacoa

Is there any good news on the horizon or are we pretty much boned this cycle?  I guess I need to hit the scotch again tonight.

Of course there is no good news. Might as well invest that 10 m and wait for this shit show to end. 6-6 next year maybe. Those kids who are committed will de commit. And the program will take 5 years to be competitive maybe. Next 2 with sark then the next guy hopefully in 2 years can do something. I really have to say that I knew it was bad but this shit has taken a fucking turn for the worse. Damn I’m depressed 

I don’t understand all the surprise on this thread. Recruiting has been going terribly for two months. We have a team under five hundred. Our in state rival has been paying players for the last several years and has ramped it up even further this year.

Harris, Stewart and just about every other top prospect has been moving away from Texas over the last several weeks as a result. If there should be any disappointment it’s that few solid second choices have emerged at key positions. I’m holding out hope that this supposed influx of OL is going to happen but I’m frankly suspicious about that as well. No one should be surprised about the loss of top players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Drumm's latest on the coaching search.

Spoiler

DrummBeat: What OUinsider is hearing Wednesday evening| Crazy rumors & more!

Reminder: “What we are hearing” isn’t a report, but more of a rumor mill update with some factual reporting being mixed into it. We want you all aware of the buzz we hear, but know that some of this is our feeling on the situation and nothing more.

With that in mind, here is Wednesday evening, December 1st version of “What we are hearing” in the latest Sooners football head coach search:

*** Okay, let's get this thing off before I take the kiddos to OU/Florida game tonight.

*** First, UGA defensive coordinator Dan Lanning seems real. He really does. I don't really know how to explain it, but over the last two or three hours, I have had sources that are very well-connected to Lanning hint to me that there would be some sort of interest there if the Sooners had any interest in him. If there was a hire of Lanning, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches like FSU OC/QB coach Kenny Dillingham or A&M DB coach TJ Rushing be in the mix for a spot on his staff. Those two are Memphis guys from years past with Lanning and coaches that have recruited Oklahoma well over the years.

Again, I am not saying that is happening. Just want to make that clear. I just know those two have strong connections to this area and would be ones to watch as potential staffers if Lanning was the guy. Nothing more than that. Pretty much an educated guess at this point off of a few sources that I have spoken with recently.

Rushing is originally from Pauls Valley, so an OU job might entice him a bit, but how much? That has yet to even happen due to nothing being done on the Sooners' end. Lanning also has a very, very strong relationship with Caleb Williams and his family. The UGA DC was his lead guy at Georgia and from a source very close to Williams, Lanning "all but had Caleb committed to UGA before a few things went south there."

So, if Lanning was the hire, he would be big on that front with Caleb Williams. A source told OUinsider, "Man, that would be a good start," the source said about the Lanning hire and how that would affect Caleb Williams' future at OU. "[Lanning] has that energy about him that just resonates and you believe in what he wants you to do and accomplish. Man, he would be good at OU if that happened."

I have also talked to coaches around the country today to ask what they thought of him and it was "rising star" or "next big thing in college football if he gets the right shot." Coaches don't throw that type of stuff around lightly.

Right now, it's all buzz. It's not definitive buzz but it's buzz nonetheless and momentum that I hadn't heard with his name much until the last day or so. This afternoon it went to another level, so we will see where it goes from there, but it does sound as if there is at least some minor mutual interest (at the very least) right now and maybe even more than that. Something we are working diligently on to find out.

*** Brent Venables is seemingly still out recruiting, but I continue to hear more buzz with his name and the Sooners. He has a championship pedigree, like Lanning, but is older and has a deep, deep OU background. All of that makes him the most logical of the candidates and the one we still feel is at the top, if not right near the top.

Coaches I talk to around the country feel Venables has "the juice and passion to be the guy. Don't know why he has waited this long, but OU is so perfect for him... So perfect."

Another coach told OUinsider, "He can scheme, he can recruit, he can motivate and he is respected. That is four things you want in a coach outside of discipline and he can do that too. I think he would be big-time in Norman."

Again, we continue to hear his name and he has been the common denominator here for some time. What I heard last night, what I heard this evening again, and even this afternoon, was something outlandish right now, but I guess not overly crazy... Okay, it's crazy if you force yourself to think of it, but there is some serious buzz with Dabo Swinney and OU right now. He would bring BV with him, too, according to this rumor.

I don't like even typing all of that because it seems so crazy that I laughed hard when he told me. Thing is, the sources I talked to are normally pretty reliable and they wouldn't just throw that scenario out to me without some sort of seriousness behind it. At least, that is what I think. Still, I find it hard to trust at this time.

Last night, I spoke with several people, including Parker and a few other media members that heard the same. How far I can take that ridiculous scenario stops here.

*** Can OU afford Bob Stoops as the head coach? If there is a big announcement tonight and no one worthwhile up for it, why wouldn't Joe C pick Bob Stoops to coach for the next 5-7 years? It seems crazy like the Dabo stuff, I know. But this is a rumor write-up, so we can add it and run with our tails tucked between our legs knowing that the craziness of it all seems, well, crazy.

Does Bob get the NIL well enough? Times have changed in CFB. Can Bob go with it and does he have the want to, to continue to have to recruit year-round? All questions that are valid in this wild scenario.

We know he loves OU. More than anyone not named Barry Switzer, so the passion is there, but energy and passion sometimes clash.

Don't shoot the messenger. I have refused to write about this stuff for days now, but as things keep dragging out, we have to cross every scenario off that we have heard -- including this one.

*** Lastly, Joe Brady. Is he a surprise guy? Matt Rhule was ruled out (like that pun?), so what about the Panthers OC? I haven't heard much other than one source with knowledge tell me earlier today, "All I know is that his agent has had contact with people. Nothing more than that at this time."

Who they have had contact with is a great question, but if the Sooners are thinking about Brady as an OC or HC, he would pique the interest of a lot players, most specifically Caleb Williams.

Not much more on him than this at this time, so I am not sure what else to say there other than file his name away and leave it at that.

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Did Thompson die or transfer?   Cause no way Card should be starting over him or playing before Murphy next year.  

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Boy this thread went to shit in a fucking hurry. Bunch of bleeding vaginas in here. Oh no, the sky is falling. Put your fucking big boy pants on you bunch of pussies.

Nah I'm glad we're melting now. That means NSD is gonna be a good day. This shit ebbs and flows.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t understand all the surprise on this thread. Recruiting has been going terribly for two months. We have a team under five hundred. Our in state rival has been paying players for the last several years and has ramped it up even further this year.

Harris, Stewart and just about every other top prospect has been moving away from Texas over the last several weeks as a result. If there should be any disappointment it’s that few solid second choices have emerged at key positions. I’m holding out hope that this supposed influx of OL is going to happen but I’m frankly suspicious about that as well. No one should be surprised about the loss of top players. 

For 2 months? Outside of the DL/Edge guys it’s been shit since summer 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting