Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Texas finally recruiting well in the trenches

Steve Wiltfong

Reveal hidden contents

Texas finally recruiting well in the trenches

Steve Wiltfong

I recently wrote on the Horns247 message board that if five-stars in Kelvin Banks and Devon Campbell ultimately end up in Texas’s recruiting class, nothing else matters regarding how they close the 2022 class.

At that point, I already liked the way the Longhorns recruited around the line of scrimmage on the defensive side of the ball and it was time to match that on the offensive front.

Texas has had terrific skill players, talented quarterbacks and good players in the secondary, but generally the toughness and play around the line of scrimmage has been lacking.

Well on Saturday Texas is halfway home to what I would call a monster finish with Banks jumping in the fold, choosing the Longhorns over the Aggies.

I added a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast in favor of Texas for Campbell too. Those would be potential program-changing wins.

Now Steve Sarkisian and his staff have to develop this group because on paper, the likes of Banks and Cole Hutson on offense and Jaray Bledsoe, J’mond Tapp, Justice Finkley, Kristopher Ross, Aaron Bryan, Zac Swanson and Derrick Brown on defense are good enough to win at the level this program yearns for.

Campbell would get them another step closer. Kam Dewberry too.

With Banks as the jewel of the class, Texas now sits at No. 7 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings. I can’t remember a time where Texas has recruited this well up front, even the 2018 and 2019 classes that finished No. 3 each year in the standings lacked on the offensive and defensive lines.

SIAP, but I guess things got a bit chippy in the comments of the 247 article. Don't know if I've seen Wiltfong this salty before.

Spoiler

556b725c-cd63-4feb-8537-fa90b291c189-jpg

capture-jpg.166419

2 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

SIAP, but I guess things got a bit chippy in the comments of the 247 article. Don't know if I've seen Wiltfong this salty before.

Hide contents

capture-jpg.166419

This has been the point of many posters for quite some time. And even still, there are other posters here who argue that just get better skill players to make up for deficiencies of the OL or DL. That's kinda the point tho, don't have deficiencies on the lines, and let the skill players really shine.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Pretty crazy to think a child of Raiola would be in play for Texas.  Can someone remind me what he said about TX while in college?  I can't recall.

"I hate Texas," center Dominic Raiola said. "They're this high-and-mighty deal. I don't like that song either."

Texas players and coaches sing The Eyes of Texas after every game. Last season, Texas players hoisted Brown on their shoulders.

"I had my helmet on. My head down," Raiola said. "It was cloudy and kind of dark. It made me disgusted to hear that song. It made me sick to see them celebrating on our field."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hide contents

capture-jpg.166419

Yeah, he was complimenting the recruiting on the lines, but I thought he was going out of his way to get digs in about our records over the past few years.  (If we're talking 8-4, other than their "dream" 9-1 2020 season, even under Fisher, A&M has gone 8-4, 8-5 and 8-4 ... )

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Via a dude on 247

Didn't he commit to us once and then decommit?  Or am I confusing him with someone else?

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

yesterday, my daughter studied all day in the business school. she said that she saw the biz school dean and CDC giving a tour to 3 "huge guys". which lineman are looking at major in business? she didn't know who they were. shitty update but it's no worse than the 9.95 dudes.

Does your daughter not have a smartphone with a camera like every other college kid on the planet?  Where are the pics? Wtf?

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yeah, he was complimenting the recruiting on the lines, but I thought he was going out of his way to get digs in about our records over the past few years.  (If we're talking 8-4, other than their "dream" 9-1 2020 season, even under Fisher, A&M has gone 8-4, 8-5 and 8-4 ... )

Maybe it was actually a compliment because he thinks 8-4 is a perfect season. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Dominic Raiola just left his  assistant O-Line coach job with the Bears to go back to Nebraska and work for Scott Frost. 

I don’t hate on him. Huskers should do what they can to revive their program. Raiola was  as invested a Nebraska player as I can remember. I loved the edge he played with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t hate on him. Huskers should do what they can to revive their program. Raiola was  as invested a Nebraska player as I can remember. I loved the edge he played with. 

I wish our guys had that same hatred for other teams celebrating wins in Austin against us

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

"I hate Texas," center Dominic Raiola said. "They're this high-and-mighty deal. I don't like that song either."

Texas players and coaches sing The Eyes of Texas after every game. Last season, Texas players hoisted Brown on their shoulders.

"I had my helmet on. My head down," Raiola said. "It was cloudy and kind of dark. It made me disgusted to hear that song. It made me sick to see them celebrating on our field."

Thanks.  Thought it would have been kind of funny had it been the state, considering he lives here now.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting