Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

No one cares how they are utilized in college, they care where they get drafted. LSU receivers often do nothing at all in college and get drafted high.

Bingo, meanwhile our WR draft history

2020: Duverney(3rd - 92 overall), Johnson(5th - 165)
2013: Goodwin(3rd - 78 overall)
2010: Jordan Shipley(3rd - 84 overall)
2008: Limas Sweet(2nd - 53 overall)
2004: Roy Williams(1st - 7th overall), Sloan Thomas(7th - 211 overall)

That's all of our WR's drafted since 2000....

Meanwhile LSU has Racey McMath drafted who didn't do anything in college and as a school has had 21 guys drafted over that same time period.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Not to defend Roach here, but holy fuck these two pussies couldn't have taken a bigger leap with that quote. I don't think Roach isn't saying near what they say he's saying.

Yeah, he used really generic, on the fence, $9.95er speak. He definitely did not say Finkley is Texas-bound.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but....

image.png.27af67668a0baf941d82bf74f0df334e.png

image.thumb.png.50a8eb3eb0dc2ede92f7d84a745faea1.png

Yah I see it, but still, those two dudes are pussies and this isn't anything we haven't heard before from every damn 995'r out there, about "parents like Texas/Whoever" and that a kid's having a hard time deciding. Wowww

Like seriously, did he pull up the wrong clip of the article or something? I was seriously expecting the highlighted part to read, "According to one source, Justice's mother said she'll not support her son, and possibly disown him entirely, if he doesn't choose Texas. The same source confirms his mother had already taken his Playstation away for answering one of Nick Saban's phone calls."

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

Wait are we to be happy, sad or angry about these tweets?

I'm furious about it. Ruined my entire evening. Fuck Roach. He's shitting all over our recruiting with his hot takes and inflammatory hyperbole, driving a huge wedge between a player and his mom. What kind of psychopath writes that insane crap, knowing the potential damage that it could cause. I'm sick of Roach shooting from the hip just to drive clicks no matter the cost. He has a responsibility as a journalist not to insert himself into the process and then he just goes off and spouts this nonsense. I hope he ends up cleaning pools with Taylor Hamm. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm furious about it. Ruined my entire evening. Fuck Roach. He's shitting all over our recruiting with his hot takes and inflammatory hyperbole, driving a huge wedge between a player and his mom. What kind of psychopath writes that insane crap, knowing the potential damage that it could cause. I'm sick of Roach shooting from the hip just to drive clicks no matter the cost. He has a responsibility as a journalist not to insert himself into the process and then he just goes off and spouts this nonsense. I hope he ends up cleaning pools with Taylor Hamm. 

Comedy Central What GIF

• Haha 2

Mike at Night: Decisions coming for Texas targets?

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— Five-star cornerback Denver Harris announced on his Instagram that he was close to releasing a Top 2. I checked around with several sources, and nobody seems to know what he's thinking for sure. Harris is known to play things very close to the vest, but I can say he and his family keep in constant contact with the Texas coaches. Most sources I speak with feel Texas and Alabama are the top two in this race, but there are sources at LSU who also have some confidence. Though I haven't heard a ton of Texas A&M buzz for him, I wouldn't count the Aggies out as they continue to add guys from the greater Houston area. If Texas were to be left out of the mix, it would obviously be a disappointing development in the race of another elite prospect. A source I spoke with feels that Harris wants to see Texas play this fall and see the product on the field. We will see how this unfolds over the next few weeks.

— There isn't much new with four-star Trussville (AL.) Hewitt-Trussville defensive lineman Justice Finkley from my perspective. He talked a few weeks ago about wanting to make a decision sometime soon, and I believe that will happen in the coming weeks. I laid out where I think things stand last week with Finkley, and while I believe the Texas staff has been able to make this a tough decision for him, it's tough to say no to Nick Saban and Alabama. Early on in this recruitment, a key source in the state of Alabama told me they believed Texas would benefit if this race drug out, but this doesn't constitute dragging out. I'm still digging to get an idea on the decision, but I just feel like you don't get rich betting against Alabama.

— Southaven (MS.) defensive lineman Aaron Bryant is set to announce his decision tomorrow at 1 p.m. My 247Sports Crystal Ball is on the Longhorns, and I haven't heard anything leading up to the date that would make me change the pick. Bryant was recently bumped to a four-star prospect by 247Sports which also bumped his Composite score. Despite some ups and downs in the Texas class, I feel that the defensive line group is coming together really nicely for Bo Davis and adding Bryant would be another great piece for the front.

— I spoke with a source regarding Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton linebacker Lander Barton. Barton has been very responsive with the Texas staff and is set for a fall official visit to take in Austin. Michigan and Texas are the only two schools slated for official trips at the moment, but Utah won't likely go away quietly considering the deep ties the Utes have in his family. One source near him said there is a feeling that Barton would like to get away from home and create his own legacy, so it's not automatic that he ends up at Utah. Texas has a chance to impress him on the visit and potentially close the deal to land an athletic and versatile defender.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

— Five-star cornerback Denver Harris announced on his Instagram that he was close to releasing a Top 2. I checked around with several sources, and nobody seems to know what he's thinking for sure. Harris is known to play things very close to the vest, but I can say he and his family keep in constant contact with the Texas coaches. Most sources I speak with feel Texas and Alabama are the top two in this race, but there are sources at LSU who also have some confidence. Though I haven't heard a ton of Texas A&M buzz for him, I wouldn't count the Aggies out as they continue to add guys from the greater Houston area. If Texas were to be left out of the mix, it would obviously be a disappointing development in the race of another elite prospect. A source I spoke with feels that Harris wants to see Texas play this fall and see the product on the field. We will see how this unfolds over the next few weeks.

— There isn't much new with four-star Trussville (AL.) Hewitt-Trussville defensive lineman Justice Finkley from my perspective. He talked a few weeks ago about wanting to make a decision sometime soon, and I believe that will happen in the coming weeks. I laid out where I think things stand last week with Finkley, and while I believe the Texas staff has been able to make this a tough decision for him, it's tough to say no to Nick Saban and Alabama. Early on in this recruitment, a key source in the state of Alabama told me they believed Texas would benefit if this race drug out, but this doesn't constitute dragging out. I'm still digging to get an idea on the decision, but I just feel like you don't get rich betting against Alabama.

— Southaven (MS.) defensive lineman Aaron Bryant is set to announce his decision tomorrow at 1 p.m. My 247Sports Crystal Ball is on the Longhorns, and I haven't heard anything leading up to the date that would make me change the pick. Bryant was recently bumped to a four-star prospect by 247Sports which also bumped his Composite score. Despite some ups and downs in the Texas class, I feel that the defensive line group is coming together really nicely for Bo Davis and adding Bryant would be another great piece for the front.

— I spoke with a source regarding Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton linebacker Lander Barton. Barton has been very responsive with the Texas staff and is set for a fall official visit to take in Austin. Michigan and Texas are the only two schools slated for official trips at the moment, but Utah won't likely go away quietly considering the deep ties the Utes have in his family. One source near him said there is a feeling that Barton would like to get away from home and create his own legacy, so it's not automatic that he ends up at Utah. Texas has a chance to impress him on the visit and potentially close the deal to land an athletic and versatile defender.

Barton has a Washington offer - so I'm assuming Coach K was recruiting him there?

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Now this is how BOMC works.  Get bumped to a 4* a day before committing.

Bryant was recently bumped to a four-star prospect by 247Sports which also bumped his Composite score.

TBf he’s an elite prospect and absolutely should be a 4 star. On the other hand, I’ll believe he’s coming to Texas once he’s fully enrolled and not a second beforehand. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

That Lander Barton LB looks really good on film. 

Gerry on Bryant ahead of his decision:

The Texas Longhorns are looking for good news at 1pm central today when On300 No, 157 Aaron Bryant announces his decision.

On 300 No. 157 Aaron Bryant will announce his commitment today at 1pm central.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound defensive tackle racked up 15 power five offers, and more than 20 all told. When it came time to make visits, Texas, Texas A&M and Georgia received officials in June. Ole Miss and Alabama also received unofficial this summer.

The Recruitment

Bryant’s summer recruitment began with Georgia as the favorite. He made an official visit June 4. He followed with an official visit to Texas A&M June 18 before ending June with a trip to Texas June 25. Me also made a late July trip to Ole Miss. he was also on campus at Alabama this summer.

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has been consistent in the recruitment of Bryant. And moreso than others.

Inside Texas has been told several times in recent weeks that the Longhorns have held the lead for Bryant. And barring the unforeseen push by a competing program in the recruitment, Texas was in a good spot.

There has been chatter that Bryant would make an official visit to Ole Miss in the fall even if he committed in August. That doesn’t seem as likely now.

Aaron Bryant the Prospect

Bryant measured 6-foot-4 and 300-pounds in late January. He possesses long arms and big, strong hands.

On tape, Bryant displays high level snap anticipation and initial movement skills. Good initial explosiveness and ability to come off low and uncoil. Improved hand usage from sophomore to junior season. He demonstrated excellent playing strength and hand strength as a junior. Bryant is a physical interior defender that can be a stout run defender. The desired motor is evident on game tape.

Bryant would fit well with On300 No. 55 Kristopher Ross in the Longhorns class. Ross is a more explosive athlete that will develop into a threat as a pass rusher with the ability to pursue the ball. Whereas Bryant will be an interior run defender with high level initial movement skills.

Aaron Bryant File

Poster 68 tackles, 12 tackles for loss ,six sacks and four forced fumbles as a junior.

Father attended Ole Miss. He is a pastor.

Has a brother that played football at Tennessee-Martin, and a sister that attended SMU.

Southhaven is 74 miles from the Ole Miss campus.

What Bryant would mean for Texas

The Longhorns currently have 17 commitments, including eight members of the On300. The class ranks inside the top 15 nationally. Adding Bryant would help keep Texas in contention for a top 10 class.

The Texas staff has attacked the defensive front aggressively in the 2022 class. Should Bryant commit, Texas could continue the pursuit of a third interior prospect in the class. On300 No. 69 Jaray Bledsoe continues to be high on the list of prospects Bo Davis is recruiting.

The Texas interior is expected to be stout this season. The Longhorns could return everyone in 2022, or lose an early NFL Draft entry or two.

Texas defensive lineman of note:

Keondre Coburn, junior

T’Vondre Sweat, junior

Moro Ojomo, junior

Alfred Collins, sophomore

Byron Murphy, freshman

Vernon Broughton, redshirt freshman

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Texas interior is expected to be stout this season. The Longhorns could return everyone in 2022, or lose an early NFL Draft entry or two.

Texas defensive lineman of note:

Keondre Coburn, junior

T’Vondre Sweat, junior

Moro Ojomo, junior

Alfred Collins, sophomore

Byron Murphy, freshman

Vernon Broughton, redshirt freshman

God damn - I won't allow myself to believe we could bring all those guys back for 2022.  Unreal.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

God damn - I won't allow myself to believe we could bring all those guys back for 2022.  Unreal.

Hell yeah.  And potentially stack Ross and Bryant behind them.  Maybe another.  Would like another EDGE guy to go with Jones and Brown.  I'm not sure where Swanson projects, 3-tech??

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One thing I noticed reading the On3 database page on their website is that you will be able to search prospects by their high school.

you can do this on 247 player search also but it's hard as hell and doesn't always work well

247's experience is saddled with technological debt. It would take a large investment to overhaul it from where it is right now, and I doubt that happens without some real conviction by ownership that they need to do it in order to catch On3.

"Catch On3?" you say? Yeah. They're going to have their own composite rankings. They're going to rank schools and players by social media clout. They're going to have big data analytics driving their views on their own rankings, along with scouts who review the film. They're going to be offering MPH from game tapes on HS recruits, which will probably cause many of you dorks to lose your shit in evaluation nirvana if they're going to be making that kind of info public.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

247's experience is saddled with technological debt. It would take a large investment to overhaul it from where it is right now, and I doubt that happens without some real conviction by ownership that they need to do it in order to catch On3.

"Catch On3?" you say? Yeah. They're going to have their own composite rankings. They're going to rank schools and players by social media clout. They're going to have big data analytics driving their views on their own rankings, along with scouts who review the film. They're going to be offering MPH from game tapes on HS recruits, which will probably cause many of you dorks to lose your shit in evaluation nirvana if they're going to be making that kind of info public.

62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gi

There was always a lack of access to measurables and testing numbers, but it’s gotten so much worse. the Opening and UA camps at least gave us something but those haven’t happened for about two years now. If On3 can start providing a lot more of that data, I will be very gruntled.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting