Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike at Night: Notes on Finkley, Burden and more

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes on Finkley, Burden and more

Mike Roach

— I checked in with some more sources today regarding four-star Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville defensive lineman Justice Finkley. The Longhorns have done everything they can to put themselves into a position to land the talented big man, and he's been talking about a commitment coming soon. Two sources I spoke with feel that Texas has done the best job with his parents and pitching the combination of education and football. This has been an all out effort from Pete Kwiatkowski and Steve Sarkisian with assistance from Jeff Choate and Bo Davis as well. One of the sources I spoke with felt the parents prefer Texas but Finkley is struggling with potentially saying no to Alabama. The Crimson Tide looms large for every recruit in the country, and they loom even larger for prospects in the state of Alabama. It's going to take a big effort to push this one across the finish line, but credit to the Texas staff for being in this position. The news of Texas moving into the SEC isn't lost on the family either. In the end, it will come down to if he can tell Nick Saban no.

— One name to keep an eye on in this cycle is Lehi (Utah) offensive lineman Teague Andersen. He made a visit to Texas near the end of June and his family has ties to this staff as his father played with Steve Sarkisian in college. Andersen is an interior offensive line prospect Texas is evaluating moving into the summer, and they could potentially pull the trigger if they like what they see. Andersen is likely a center at the next level, and Texas already has a couple of interior guys committed. It would depend on how the offensive line class plays out, but he's a name to monitor in the fall. Florida, Indiana, North Carolina State, Baylor, Arizona, Cal and Pitt are other schools he's in contact with.

— Five-star 2022 East Saint Louis (Ill.) wide receiver Luther Burden decommitted from Oklahoma earlier today. The loss means the Sooners have no wide receiver commits after losing Burden, Talyn Shettron and Jordan Hudson. A source I spoke with today indicated Texas already reached out to Burden and he's been receptive with the contact so far. As Steve Wiltfong reported, Missouri and Georgia appear to be the schools to watch for now, but it will be interesting to see if Texas can get him on campus for a visit.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, immamac said:

There is no reason this can't be Texas starting this season......

There is plenty of talent on the current roster,

Of the 8 guys we have battling for our 5 starting spots, I don't feel good about any of them. I hope I am wrong, but our o-line has me convinced that we have 4 games that are locks to be losses, and I don't see us winning all of the others. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8

15 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Of the 8 guys we have battling for our 5 starting spots, I don't feel good about any of them. I hope I am wrong, but our o-line has me convinced that we have 4 games that are locks to be losses, and I don't see us winning all of the others. 

I have a fairly pessimistic view of this team’s ceiling compared to the rest of this board, but you have four losses as a “lock” with our shitty schedule? I mean even if you assume OU and ISU are losses, what other games are definite losses? 

I think 3-4 losses are entirely possible because average (and even good) teams in college football lose games they shouldn’t. But even our relatively pedestrian talent (on offense) should have us favored in every game outside of OU and ISU.

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

JFC JFKFC.  Its not even September.  Panic after 9/4.

25 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Yeah there's 4 teams on our schedule operating with stone-cold badasses across the OL combined with a DL that can punish our pedestrian-but-not-bad OL. Sure.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Mike Roach is at Frisco Liberty today so expect an update on their practice playlist and what nice things the Friso Liberty coach had to say about him. 

FIFY

37 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I have a fairly pessimistic view of this team’s ceiling compared to the rest of this board, but you have four losses as a “lock” with our shitty schedule? I mean even if you assume OU and ISU are losses, what other games are definite losses? 

I think 3-4 losses are entirely possible because average (and even good) teams in college football lose games they shouldn’t. But even our relatively pedestrian talent (on offense) should have us favored in every game outside of OU and ISU.

Why would you ask someone with such a profoundly stupid take to expound further? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah there's 4 teams on our schedule operating with stone-cold badasses across the OL combined with a DL that can punish our pedestrian-but-not-bad OL. Sure.

You know you bring up a great point. If we framed it not as "who are we better than" but "who sucks more than us," I bet people would be more optimistic about our season. 

• Haha 2

Mike at Night: The latest with elite wide receiver Evan Stewart

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— I saw Evan Stewart this afternoon at his practice. The five-star prospect and newly-minted Top 5 player in the country was excited to see his ranking go up. Stewart and I talked about the schools recruiting him and his plans for the fall. Let's start with where the Longhorns stand with him. Texas is still a very strong contender, and he said that he just had a long Zoom session with Steve Sarkisian and the Texas staff last night. They talked scheme and how Stewart could be used like Devonta Smith in Sark's offense. While Stewart gave some glowing response about the Texas move to the SEC when it was initially announced, he said it wouldn't really change much for him because he already has Texas pretty high. Stewart and his family have connected well with the entire staff and Stewart himself is connecting with off-field assistants Brandon Harris and Shawn Lewis. Stewart wants to see Texas play Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl and also return to Austin for a gameday experience at some point during the season. Two things I think he's looking for is a strong performance on the field and what Maalik Murphy does this year. Stewart has been vocal about wanting to know his quarterback, and while the two have a good relationship, Stewart will be watching how he performs. You may recall that Stewart was in Austin following the last dead period in July. I asked him about it today, and he said his flight home from Gainesville was diverted to Austin for weather. Since they were having to stay until the next morning, Stewart asked his dad if they could go see the campus again. While he couldn't see the coaches, he did link up with JD Coffey who he also played 7v7 with and spent some time with Xavier Worthy who was with Coffey at the time.  Stewart also told me that his stepsister who attends Texas is moving back in this weekend and hs parents are going to Austin with her.  He has a scrimmage on Friday, but if it works with his schedule he's going to go with them and hang around Austin some more.

— Aside from Texas, Stewart is considering Florida, LSU and Alabama. While Florida grabbed a lot of the headlines for him during his July visit, Stewart was clear with me today that there are no leaders in his recruitment. While he feels he has a good relationship with the staff, he is keeping his options open. LSU and Alabama both hosted Stewart for unofficial trips during the summer, and they will get their cracks at official visits this fall. Stewart plans to officially visit Alabama when they host LSU, and he's still working out an official trip to Baton Rouge. LSU has a few links to Stewart, including freshman quarterback Garrett Nussmeier who played with Stewart in 7v7. The Tigers could be a dangerous threat down the stretch for him depending on how their visit goes, and Alabama is as tough to beat as anyone out there. A person I spoke to close to Stewart today told me that while Florida may be the perceived leader at the moment, they will have to hold on for dear life through what is sure to be a crazy fall.

— How does this end? That's anyone's guess as I've always said that Stewart is one of the biggest wildcards I've ever covered. I think if Texas can take care of business on the field and show some explosive offense, they can definitely win this recruitment. The Longhorns have been a constant in this race going back to one of his early offers and his initial commitment. It's going to be a tough fight, but they are definitely in the thick of it.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

— I saw Evan Stewart this afternoon at his practice. The five-star prospect and newly-minted Top 5 player in the country was excited to see his ranking go up. Stewart and I talked about the schools recruiting him and his plans for the fall. Let's start with where the Longhorns stand with him. Texas is still a very strong contender, and he said that he just had a long Zoom session with Steve Sarkisian and the Texas staff last night. They talked scheme and how Stewart could be used like Devonta Smith in Sark's offense. While Stewart gave some glowing response about the Texas move to the SEC when it was initially announced, he said it wouldn't really change much for him because he already has Texas pretty high. Stewart and his family have connected well with the entire staff and Stewart himself is connecting with off-field assistants Brandon Harris and Shawn Lewis. Stewart wants to see Texas play Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl and also return to Austin for a gameday experience at some point during the season. Two things I think he's looking for is a strong performance on the field and what Maalik Murphy does this year. Stewart has been vocal about wanting to know his quarterback, and while the two have a good relationship, Stewart will be watching how he performs. You may recall that Stewart was in Austin following the last dead period in July. I asked him about it today, and he said his flight home from Gainesville was diverted to Austin for weather. Since they were having to stay until the next morning, Stewart asked his dad if they could go see the campus again. While he couldn't see the coaches, he did link up with JD Coffey who he also played 7v7 with and spent some time with Xavier Worthy who was with Coffey at the time.  Stewart also told me that his stepsister who attends Texas is moving back in this weekend and hs parents are going to Austin with her.  He has a scrimmage on Friday, but if it works with his schedule he's going to go with them and hang around Austin some more.

— Aside from Texas, Stewart is considering Florida, LSU and Alabama. While Florida grabbed a lot of the headlines for him during his July visit, Stewart was clear with me today that there are no leaders in his recruitment. While he feels he has a good relationship with the staff, he is keeping his options open. LSU and Alabama both hosted Stewart for unofficial trips during the summer, and they will get their cracks at official visits this fall. Stewart plans to officially visit Alabama when they host LSU, and he's still working out an official trip to Baton Rouge. LSU has a few links to Stewart, including freshman quarterback Garrett Nussmeier who played with Stewart in 7v7. The Tigers could be a dangerous threat down the stretch for him depending on how their visit goes, and Alabama is as tough to beat as anyone out there. A person I spoke to close to Stewart today told me that while Florida may be the perceived leader at the moment, they will have to hold on for dear life through what is sure to be a crazy fall.

— How does this end? That's anyone's guess as I've always said that Stewart is one of the biggest wildcards I've ever covered. I think if Texas can take care of business on the field and show some explosive offense, they can definitely win this recruitment. The Longhorns have been a constant in this race going back to one of his early offers and his initial commitment. It's going to be a tough fight, but they are definitely in the thick of it.

Just can't see him ending up at Florida or LSU. Seems like Bama vs Texas.

14 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Two things I think he's looking for is a strong performance on the field and what Maalik Murphy does this year. Stewart has been vocal about wanting to know his quarterback, and while the two have a good relationship, Stewart will be watching how he performs.

This part is interesting. Pretty clear that the Florida interest is largely bc Evers is going there. I also bet landing Arch this fall would help quite a bit with Stewart.

34 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This part is interesting. Pretty clear that the Florida interest is largely bc Evers is going there. I also bet landing Arch this fall would help quite a bit with Stewart.

Landing Arch plus seeing Casey/Card ball out this year would go a long way to assuage any fears Evans may have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Another neg from me plus 4 more from God-fearing posters puts you back in hell where you belong, Lucifer. 

Huh? No, wait. I was asking(albeit very politely) for a rec so I could get OUT of “666” hell. I don’t wanna be there! 
half baked help GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

15 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

So he wants to see how our offense looks this season before pulling the trigger. 

That same offense with the receivers that can't separate or catch and the quarterbacks are still struggling.  Ok.  Well, bye. I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Nuge said:

So he wants to see how our offense looks this season before pulling the trigger. 

That same offense with the receivers that can't separate or catch and the quarterbacks are still struggling.  Ok.  Well, bye. I guess. 

i thought they could get some separation, just can't come up with the catch?

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i thought they could get some separation, just can't come up with the catch?

The practice reports have not been confidence inspiring regarding the pass offense.  

I hope its due to the salty defense but I've also seen this movie before.  I think we'll win but I don't know if the pass offense is going to be inspiring.  It looks to me like games will be won by defense and running the ball.  Not exactly what Evan Stewart is looking for.

I think if Texas can take care of business on the field and show some explosive offense, they can definitely win this recruitment.

This line stands out, considering the takeaway from our last few practices is that qb and receiver are shaky enough that we should just play a clock control, ground game offense combined with great defense. I'm sure Stewart will be sold if he sees that.

1 minute ago, Nuge said:

The practice reports have not been confidence inspiring regarding the pass offense.  

I hope its due to the salty defense but I've also seen this movie before.  I think we'll win but I don't know if the pass offense is going to be inspiring.  It looks to me like games will be won by defense and running the ball.  Not exactly what Evan Stewart is looking for.

Or, hopefully he sees it as, "Holy shit hahah these receivers suck! I can come in and start right away in an offense that thrives with stud WRs like me!"

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting