2021 Texas HS football

Machinator

North shore mudholing LT is no surprise. 

Dville handling SLC like they are is shocking. Still a lot of time for the dragons to rally but it sounds like they’re just outmatched. @Lonestar88 seems to know what he’s talking about. 

Congrats to Austin LBJ for making state. Between them & SOC it’s a great year for Texas inner city football. SOC has slim chances next week but I really think LBJ is going to go home with a state title trophy.

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Does anyone have a feed to the SLC Duncanville game?

Rabbit ears?

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Dville handling SLC like they are is shocking. Still a lot of time for the dragons to rally but it sounds like they’re just outmatched. @Lonestar88 seems to know what he’s talking about. 

Congrats to Austin LBJ for making state. Between them & SOC it’s a great year for Texas inner city football. SOC has slim chances next week but I really think LBJ is going to go home with a state title trophy.

LBJ should win and maybe going away.  

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Duncanville is so much better at the line of scrimmage. They’ve got the better athletes and they’ve played smarter. A lot of stupid penalties on SLC tonight.

Even I’m surprised it was this easy. But I knew SLC barely beat Duncanville last year with the #1 recruit in the nation at QB. And Duncanville is at least as good as they were a year ago. So a SLC blowout win never made sense to me.

At least you always have something positive to say.

It’s just a wild comparison. We played Evangel Christian and SLC in 2004, the #1 and #3 ranked teams in the nation at the time. We beat Evangel 19-14 and lost to SLC 35-30.

This Dville team just demolished a very highly rated and respected SLC but was demolished by Mayer Dei. Seems the state of Texas football as a whole is declining compared to the national level of competition.

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Just for reference, this Duncanville team got waffle stomped 45-3 by Mater Dei. Dville qb 12/12 for 185yards

Duncanville does this every year now, they got beat down by IMG last year I believe. I don’t see the benefit in playing nationally recruited all star teams like that, but I guess  they turn out fine come playoff time.

Feels like they’re trying to mimic the basketball team that beats national powerhouses on the regular, but football does not work like basketball.

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s just a wild comparison. We played Evangel Christian and SLC in 2004, the #1 and #3 ranked teams in the nation at the time. We beat Evangel 19-14 and lost to SLC 35-30.

This Dville team just demolished a very highly rated and respected SLC but was demolished by Mayer Dei. Seems the state of Texas football as a whole is declining compared to the national level of competition.

What Evangel Christian is/was isn’t close to comparable to what Mater Dei is right now. Not even close.

Who do you mean by we? Truly asking. Not being the jerk who gets mad at me when I say “we” when referring to my favorite teams I obviously never played for.

Don’t schools like Marter Dei and Bishop Gorman in Vegas recruit like colleges? I feel like Duncanville collects players from south Dallas but not National.

39 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Dville is much better now than they were the first week of the year. And mater dei is a SoCal all-star team, Dville is splitting South Dallas all-stars with Desoto, Cedar Hill, and South Oak Cliff. No way they were ever going to stand a chance. 

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Bailey....I'll defer to those of you that follow things closely but when is the last time a freshman was such an impactful player at the highest level of Texas high school football?

As far as QBs go the only one I can think of is Julon Williams leading Judson to the state semis in 2014. He had a legit arm but was already maxed out at his height of 5’9. Never was a big time college prospect. Played receiver at UH & UTSA. This Bailey kid seems like he could be the real deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t see the benefit in playing nationally recruited all star teams like that, but I guess  they turn out fine come playoff time.

Agree.  No reason to play those games.

I kind of miss the old Texas vs Pennsylvania all star games,  I think it was called the oil bowl. 

That won't come back,  kids are going to be to rich to play in that kind of game nowadays.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As far as QBs go the only one I can think of is Julon Williams leading Judson to the state semis in 2014. He had a legit arm but was already maxed out at his height of 5’9. Never was a big time college prospect. Played receiver at UH & UTSA. This Bailey kid seems like he could be the real deal. 

Great info, thanks.

31 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Bailey....I'll defer to those of you that follow things closely but when is the last time a freshman was such an impactful player at the highest level of Texas high school football?

I'm probably not qualified to really critique a freshman HS football qb,  but I know a good football player when I see one.  

Sark needs to be in touch with this guy soon.  

17 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

HS FB in 2004 isn’t close to comparable to HS FB right now, hence why I gave a frame of reference for both.

Of course, but that’s not what I mean.

I’m not talking about general advances in football. Evangel Christian wasn’t recruiting nationally like these powerhouse schools do now. Evangel Christian wasn’t ran like a big time college team. 

Texas football isn’t declining, there are just a few crazy outliers that exist now, and Mater Dei is one of them.

I was at the Duncanville SLC game and WOW, the D’ville defense is pretty damn good. They had SLC flustered all game. Just completely dismantled that O. SLC couldn’t get running game going, QB was running for his life the whole time, etc.

I wasn’t super impressed by the D’ville O, though.

It looked like Abor got dinged up in the 3rd (shoulder), as well as RB Malachi Medlock. Cameron Williams is a bully, btw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CLASS 6A DIVISION I
Duncanville (12-1) vs Southlake Carroll (14-0), 4 p.m. Saturday at McKinney ISD Stadium

Last year, SLC upset supposedly unbeatable Duncanville in this game behind QB Quinn Ewers, who some of you may have heard of.  Somehow, Duncanville looks even more talented this year, and that combined with how pissed off they still have to be over last season gives them the edge in my book.  It’s really going to come down to whether they can contain SLC RB Owen Allen. 

Yep, they can contain Owen Allen.  69 yards.  Duncanville QB Soloman James went 13-13 for 169 and 3 TDs.  35-9 Panthers in a game that was never close.

Galena Park North Shore (13-1) vs Lake Travis (12-2), 3 p.m. Saturday at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex (Round Rock)

I honestly never expected LT to get this far, but I am extremely confident that their season ends this week.  NS’s win over Atascocita was eye-opening, because Atascocita matched up extremely well on both size and speed, yet it was still a fairly easy win for the Mustangs.  LT is going to get crushed at the line of scrimmage on both sides in this one. 

LT was hanging in, tied 14-14, late in the 2nd quarter. Then everything went to hell, as NS scored 35 points in a row.  Mustang freshman QB Kaleb Bailey ran for 190 and was 6-8 passing.  LT was held to only 228 yards.  49-21 Mustangs.

CLASS 6A DIVISION II
Denton Guyer (13-1) vs. Tomball (11-3), 7 p.m. Saturday at McLane Stadium

Guyer was supposed to win their region easily, and maybe they got bored the last couple of weeks, but they looked very ripe. They’re favored to win this one, but Tomball is exactly the type of team to pull an upset – very big, physical nasty lines and a strong running game led by a tough-as-nails QB.  I think they get it done. 

I fucking whiffed on that one!  59-14 Guyer.  Guyer jumped on them early and Tomball just quit.  It was 45-0 at half.

Katy (14-0) vs Austin Westlake (14-0), 2 p.m. Saturday at McLane Stadium

What a great matchup!  36 state semifinal appearances between them.  Westlake won 32-29 in 2016, the last time they met.  I trust the Westlake D to keep Katy under wraps and I trust Treaty Oak to anti-weauxf the shit out of this game. 

The plucky overachieving boys from Westlake capitalized on some favorable officiating and pulled a massive upset, 45-14.  Klubnik had 300+ and 5 TDs IIRC.

4AD1

Tyler Chapel Hill (11-3) vs Austin LBJ (14-0), 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Frisco’s Ford Center

TCH is actually a 4th-place team, as they lost consecutive district games to Lindale, Palestine, and Kilgore back in October.  LBJ’s offense has been unstoppable this season, scoring 706 points, including 239 in their four playoff games.  CH has been a great story, but they have no answer for that kind of firepower.

38-35 LBJ.  The Jags washed off the stink of last year's semi-final collapse with big rally.  CH led 35-26 with under 7 minutes left.  LBJ scored, forced a 3-out, got the ball back at their own 13 with 3 min, drove the field, and scored on a short TD pass with 9 seconds to win.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Just for reference, this Duncanville team got waffle stomped 45-3 by Mater Dei. Dville qb 12/12 for 185yards

Duncanville had to replace like 8 coaches - 3 got HC jobs and took their buddies with them.  Not saying they were gonna hang with MD, but they have improved a lot since the first game.

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Duncanville does this every year now, they got beat down by IMG last year I believe. I don’t see the benefit in playing nationally recruited all star teams like that, but I guess  they turn out fine come playoff time.

Feels like they’re trying to mimic the basketball team that beats national powerhouses on the regular, but football does not work like basketball.

What Evangel Christian is/was isn’t close to comparable to what Mater Dei is right now. Not even close.

Samples says that he can't get non-district games so they have to play OOS.  A lot of teams don't want to play Dville, his preference would be to play local.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Samples says that he can't get non-district games so they have to play OOS.  A lot of teams don't want to play Dville, his preference would be to play local.

That would explain why they were scheduled to play Bishop Sycamore this year before that scam was uncovered.

That’s a damn shame, the only in-state team that played them this year in non-district was SOC. And that’s Samples’ alma mater.

Would be a trip if they both won state.

9 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

That would explain why they were scheduled to play Bishop Sycamore this year before that scam was uncovered.

That’s a damn shame, the only in-state team that played them this year in non-district was SOC. And that’s Samples’ alma mater.

Would be a trip if they both won state.

Will be rooting for them both.  It is a shame - and surprising.  I've always felt that you improve the most by playing tough opponents in non-district games.  And that really doesn't even count aganst you if you lose.